Nylea's +1/+1 Hydras

Skello496
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

This is one of my favorite decks to play, my Nylea +1/+1 counter deck. It's mostly Hydra tribal and focuses on getting bid beaters out and trampling over the competition.
As we all know, the main problem with Hydra Tribal in EDH is that Hydra's don't have a reliable way to get damage through because most of them don't have trample. That is why Nylea is the perfect choice for the commander of this deck! She's indestructible, a good CMC, and she grants all other creatures I control trample. She makes the rest of the deck pop simply be enabling all the damage.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Changelog:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Doubling Season out → Rampant Growth in (only until I get my The Great Henge): Doubling Season felt like too much of a "win-more" card and slots better into my Ghired deck than into this one.
Another note: I will be slotting in Return of the Wildspeaker, Rishkar's Expertise, Traverse the Outlands, The Great Henge, Steelbane Hydra, Scavenging Ooze, Song of the Dryads, and Soul's Majesty in the next two months. I'm on a limited budget so the upgrades to this deck are coming slowly but surely. Also at some point in the future, I plan to add a Selvala, Heart of the WildsAs is, this deck plays extremely well.

If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to take them. I already have a list of cards to cut, but I'm happy to hear other voices!
Last edited by Skello496 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr
Hakbal, Merfolk Massacre UG
Ten and Clara, Suspended uwr

Tags:

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Cool deck, can't go wrong with turning massive guys sideways. In terms of suggestions, personally I'm a big fan of Asceticism for protecting all my big guys.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Nice, you tossed a list up! :)

Some thoughts after skimming the includes:
  • You seem quite ramp light for a deck that can sink any amount of mana into its X spells. There are still plenty of spells in the 2-4 CMC range that nab you lands that you could consider for upping the quota. Vernal Bloom seems like a good idea unless your meta's very green heavy. In terms of dorks, try to keep it to the strictly most busted ones - Joraga Treespeaker and Arbor Elf (plus complementary land auras in Overgrowth, Utopia Sprawl and Wild Growth). I'd argue Sol Ring would actually be good here, I don't think you're coloured-heavy enough to dismiss it. Especially as you're all about those X costs which will guzzle it right up.
  • It's nice to see you acknowledge tall draw in your future includes, you're going to get good mileage out of it. You could also consider Elemental Bond, that thing will proc off most stuff you do.
  • You've got a bit of a tall/wide dichotomy with some of your card choices, you could probably streamline performance by focusing on the tall and losing cards like Avatar of the Resolute, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar and Decree of Savagery. You could also consider dropping the relatively do-nothing Nissa, Vastwood Seer, and Death's Presence accomplishes nothing if you get wiped (which feels like your main fear).
  • You've got Extraplanar Lens typo'd in the list.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Rumpy's comment reminded me: My wife runs Death's Presence in their Kresh deck, and it never does anything of note and will often languish in their hand. I'm not sure what I'd cut it for, but I'd cut it.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Skello496

Thanks for pointing out the Typo!

Yeah good points about Death's Presence, that's probably a smart cut. I think I'm going to add a Kodama's Reach also, so I'll cut something for that. Avatar is on the short list, as is Voice of Zendikar. I may swap her for the Garruk that draws, or just a different X cost. I'm thinking the new snake from ELD?
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

That snecko will be great here, deathtouch and trample combined are a nightmare for your opponents to handle. Didn't think of it as you're not stereotypically wide, but you should still make good use of it.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Skello496

Yeah it will be. I'll have to order one I guess!
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”