3drinks Does Modern - Commander Style!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

For the player that can't decide between Modern or Commander, 3drinks™ asks "why not both?"

Not completely new to this idea, follow along with me as I set off for Modern FNM with a modern-legal commander deck - complete with fifteen card singleton sideboard even. Am I crazy? Really? No, no I don't think I am. I did this once before (with Mardu no less, and tilted a Fish player with a clutch g3 win!) and Grixis is a far stronger controlling combination which should dictate that with proper interaction pieces, there's no reason I couldn't control the pace of the game here too.

The "maybeboard" is just a small subsect of cards for tweaking as the metagame continues to develop and adapt. In the event you play commander instead, you have two choices - Kess, or flip Bolas. :)

Modern Cruel Control
Approximate Total Cost:

Maybeboard

Maybeboard

Enchantment (1)

Artifact (2)

Planeswalker (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Deckstats: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-10-1 ... l-control/

Now see, this is what happens when you let me use Islands. :rimshot: :foil:

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Tags:

3drinks

Played the 60 card version of this for Modern last night as God intended, and did worse than the 100 card version. Like wtf, haha. How the hell does that work.

Anyway, picked up a few other cards, will have an update in a few days or so.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 4 years ago

In a deck running 18 snow lands (most of which are fetchable), arcum's astrolabe, and skred, where in tarnation is your maindeck dead of winter? It seems a reasonable replacement for black sun's zenith or wildfire.

In general, I think your removal package needs work. You lack some really good removal like terminate, fatal push. Even smother or doom blade would be solid additions.

You have 23 instants even before any of my suggestions. Redundancy is a good thing, maybe consider toshiro umezawa?

3drinks

Dead of Winter, is good, but it's not as consistent as an anger of the gods or, say, a radiant flames. Sometimes you need to be able to hit those X/3s on 3, and when you're fetching shocks, tangos, and bicycles to fix, your snow count is off. Perfect example, last night I got stuck on Skred for 3 when an Urza came down.l and that is such a miserable experience.

I think I need to be playing tyrant's scorn before playing smother, but in general I agree. Not sure how Terminate slipped through the cracks given I've jammed the fnm print in everything. I played fatal push last night I recall. It was alright. Sometimes I'd have preferred go for the throat but it's at least playable.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”