Will and Rowan Kenrith - Spell Twins Extraordinaire

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

My list for the battle bond Izzet twins! The list is a little odd, but I have two goals with this deck: have a place to run all of my Ral Zarek cards (WotC please print me a commander version), and silly, splashy spellslinger with a side of late game Storm for fun.

Will and Rowan Kenrith

Commanders (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

No love for Ral, Caller of Storms and perhaps Ral's Dispersal? I actually think he is pretty deece for a pre-con planeswalker deck dude.

Most of the time you're going to find that it is the colored portions of your spells which are going to be the thing the prevents you from casting things the most.
Between Will cost reduction for colorless and Baral, Chief of Compliance and Goblin Electromancer you often be OK with the colorless parts, but simply run out of colored mana sources to chain things off like you want.
So from experience Primal Amulet is really slow and often disappointing in a storm deck.
To keep up the theme maybe Pyromancer's Goggles would be a better choice, as it provides colored mana instantly and instantly gives you ability to copy spells.

Given what I said about colored mana, I think you'll find Seething Song will be a much appreciated draw in most games.

I know that most games you're going to find it hard to spend a turn casting one of your big fun enchantments like Sunbird's Invocation, Thousand-Year Storm, Swarm Intelligence. Like that's just the reality as you don't have cost reduction for them, and they compete with the same casting(ish) costs of Will and Rowan, so prioritizing what to cast will end up being an issue most games.
I'm not saying don't play them, but you literally have nothing like Mana Vault, Grim Monolith or the likes to get these out in timely manners.

If you can find room for some more planeswalkers then Jaya Ballard and Chandra Ablaze are perfect for your deck.

In a deck that has Past in Flames I like using Gamble as you can just search for it, and it doesn't really matter if it get's discarded. Plus with so many instants and sorcery, if they get discarded then you still get value from the Past in Flames with them.
Then Gamble first turn for a Sol Ring is always great.
Intuition is also a great card with graveyard strategies as you can get additional cards into your graveyard while also getting access to something to cast. But it is a $54 cards so...

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
No love for Ral, Caller of Storms and perhaps Ral's Dispersal? I actually think he is pretty deece for a pre-con planeswalker deck dude.

Most of the time you're going to find that it is the colored portions of your spells which are going to be the thing the prevents you from casting things the most.
Between Will cost reduction for colorless and Baral, Chief of Compliance and Goblin Electromancer you often be OK with the colorless parts, but simply run out of colored mana sources to chain things off like you want.
So from experience Primal Amulet is really slow and often disappointing in a storm deck.
To keep up the theme maybe Pyromancer's Goggles would be a better choice, as it provides colored mana instantly and instantly gives you ability to copy spells.

Given what I said about colored mana, I think you'll find Seething Song will be a much appreciated draw in most games.

I know that most games you're going to find it hard to spend a turn casting one of your big fun enchantments like Sunbird's Invocation, Thousand-Year Storm, Swarm Intelligence. Like that's just the reality as you don't have cost reduction for them, and they compete with the same casting(ish) costs of Will and Rowan, so prioritizing what to cast will end up being an issue most games.
I'm not saying don't play them, but you literally have nothing like Mana Vault, Grim Monolith or the likes to get these out in timely manners.

If you can find room for some more planeswalkers then Jaya Ballard and Chandra Ablaze are perfect for your deck.

In a deck that has Past in Flames I like using Gamble as you can just search for it, and it doesn't really matter if it get's discarded. Plus with so many instants and sorcery, if they get discarded then you still get value from the Past in Flames with them.
Then Gamble first turn for a Sol Ring is always great.
Intuition is also a great card with graveyard strategies as you can get additional cards into your graveyard while also getting access to something to cast. But it is a $54 cards so...
Sorry for the suuuuuper late reply on this, I apparently forgot to subscribe to the thread. >.> I unfortunately haven't had a chance to play the deck since I made this thread, but I'll definitely keep some of the card suggestions in mind once I get a chance to playtest and start making adjustments. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”