Creature ETB Tutors

Creature ETB Removal

1 Fury

Creature cast triggers

Creature Multiple Targets

Enchantments

Artifact other

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 3 months ago, edited 17 times in total.

Tags:

Darkaxel1990
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Darkaxel1990 » 4 years ago

Thank you so much for this spectacular primer!
I would suggest a small combo for the "Steal Opponents Creatures" section: if we target a stolen creature with anyone of our blink effect, that creature returns onto the battlefield under it's owner control.
But Cloudshift is a very weird exception: if we target a stolen creature with Cloudshift, the creature now it's our forever.
I don't know why, but it works!

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Darkaxel1990 wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you so much for this spectacular primer!
I would suggest a small combo for the "Steal Opponents Creatures" section: if we target a stolen creature with anyone of our blink effect, that creature returns onto the battlefield under it's owner control.
But Cloudshift is a very weird exception: if we target a stolen creature with Cloudshift, the creature now it's our forever.
I don't know why, but it works!
A very good point and actually something that I hadn't ever noticed. I've added a sentence to highlight this, thanks!

darrenhabib

Just a few changes recently.
Decided that I spent too many games not casting the hate-bear creatures.
I absolutely love interactive recoverable cards in the deck so Impact Resonance and Soul's Fire can be aces in the hole once you are setup.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I'm gonna be honest, I never understood why you ran those, so good cut choice. I don't see a lot of pump in your spell suite, so are the new damage spells going to do enough?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

darrenhabib

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm gonna be honest, I never understood why you ran those, so good cut choice. I don't see a lot of pump in your spell suite, so are the new damage spells going to do enough?
They are definitely poor mans cousins to Reckless Rage, but Rage is the best card in the deck..so I just can't pass them up. Spending 2r each turn on Soul's Fire is not where you want to be at, but there can be a holding pattern where opponents don't want to cast their better creatures/commanders onto the board knowing that you have one in hand. Opponents casting an Oracle of Mul Daya when you've already cast Soul's Fire seems like a fool-hardy maneuver, and so you can get way more mileage out of removal than actually having to cast it multiple times.
But 3 or 4 damage off Feather is going to be good enough to effect a lot of what opponents want to do. Also Lumbering Battlement can be buffed up to any necessary size for the big threats that hit the table.
Impact Resonance a different dynamic as you can use opponents big attacks to your advantage. This has it's own holding pattern as well as once you've used it opponents can't really attack without expecting repercussions. But again you can use Feather evasive flying to distribute damage so can be used proactively as well.
For sure they both are not as good as Reckless Rage, but I've been really impressed at using Feather as a way to control the game, and happy to have these as part of that plan.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

You bring up a valid point. Seeing how there's no getting around the fact Feather is not liked in my playgroup, I should add Reckless Rage as another component to my "cat and mouse" setup. I don't really need to tiptoe around the group's dislike of removal, seeing how the deck fails to clear other hurdles too :P

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

darrenhabib

Just a small change with a slightly cheaper exile effect in Flicker of Fate. Can also protect an important enchantment in a pinch as well.

I was thinking about Heliod's Intervention as it's possible to target one of your own artifact/enchantment creatures to get it back. But the deck only has Solemn Simulacrum, Skyscanner, Walking Atlas to do this. Can't be used with Sunforger either, so not quite right for the deck yet.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Phalanx Tactics might be worth a look since you're running Zada/Mirrorwing.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I haven't made any changes to Feather since Theros: Beyond Deaths. Nothing grabbed my attention enough to slot into what is quite a focused deck.
Angelic Ascension from Core 2021 seemed interesting in that you can convert your own token 1/1's into 4/4 flyers AND it could be used as removal on an opponents creature or planeswalker.
Terror of the Peaks from Core 2021 would be a bomb if it hits the battlefield and you are flickering a creature each turn, Feather having 3 power at a minimum.
But those were the only cards that perked my interest and ultimately I just never added.

Zendikar Rising however has some shoe ins.
Shatterskull Smashing // Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass is the red land that can come into play untapped and it has a relevant ability with Feather as you can divide the damage so that you target at least 1 of your own creatures to get it back to hand at end of turn. The cost of putting it into the deck is just replacing another land, which I've chosen Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep as I actually might not have ever used it for the First Strike.

Skyclave Apparition is a perfect flicker target for removing a threat each turn once the engine is setup. Wow, any 4 cmc or less nonland permanent is just so versatile and back breaking for opponents trying to assemble any type of on-board advantages.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Taking out Conscripts?

Darkaxel1990

Post by Darkaxel1990 » 3 years ago

I don't know, has Shepherd of the Cosmos enough targets to justify its presence in the deck? It seems situational at best, to me. But correct me if i'm wrong, please.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Are you running Sun Titan? Shepard seems like Sun Titan no. 2, so running it without titan strikes me as odd.

darrenhabib

Darkaxel1990 wrote:
3 years ago
I don't know, has Shepherd of the Cosmos enough targets to justify its presence in the deck? It seems situational at best, to me. But correct me if i'm wrong, please.
BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Are you running Sun Titan? Shepard seems like Sun Titan no. 2, so running it without titan strikes me as odd.
The difference is that you can cast Shepherd of the Cosmos on turn 4, but yeah it is very limited in scope, you really need a fetchland to make use of it.
It'll probably get cut, but got to try these things.

Natesroom

Post by Natesroom » 3 years ago

I have all these cards except Imperial Recruiter and Enlightened Tutor. What would you replace these two cards with?

darrenhabib

Natesroom wrote:
3 years ago
I have all these cards except Imperial Recruiter and Enlightened Tutor. What would you replace these two cards with?
I'm adding Storm-Kiln Artist and Semester's End to the deck anyway so you might as well just add these.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

How about Mavinda? You're also recursion light, like me, but this seems like a very solid piece that I'm pondering including.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

darrenhabib

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
How about Mavinda? You're also recursion light, like me, but this seems like a very solid piece that I'm pondering including.
Yeah at first I was like auto include, but then I thought about it and I can't really remember that many times that my spells fail and go to the graveyard. The other thing is that most games I have Feather in play as it's just so hard to remove her with all the tricks, so even having Mavinda as a "back up" commander I don't think is needed.
If you could get some cool mill strategy going on yourself then you could design around Mavinda more.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Yeah, that's similar to my findings. If combined with swarm, Mavinda enables repeatable Path/Swords for removal use (as once binned, you just poof a token and get it back). I'm not sure that's enough to tip the scales in her favour.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Natesroom

i was thinking it was an auto include also, lol

Natesroom

i am thinking about picking up these in the long run anyways.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

With Unfinity new Stickers and Attractions I've been theory-crafting in general trying to think of strategies around all types of decks and I couldn't help but notice that there are 5 stickers that all have abilities "When this permanent leaves the battlefield". So instantly I was thinking of blink strategies and my Aminatou came to mind, but it's not actually that centered around multiple exile effects, but this Feather deck is.
So I set about what would be involved in being able to enable Stickers, without it diluting the decks general performance and actually be an enhancer and I think I've found the right balance.
There are are four Sticker enablers that I've decided on and they are Minotaur de Force, Park Bleater, ______ Goblin, Goblin Airbrusher.

With the general idea that I'm going to be blinking either Glorious Protector, Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward, Lumbering Battlement, Zada, Hedron Grinder or Mirrorwing Dragon each turn to exile all creatures, getting further value from the Sticker creatures can be fairly seamless.

Minotaur de Force will give you and a Sticker each time it ETBs so is are great enabler.
Park Bleater gets for all creatures ETB and you can place one Sticker each turn.
______ Goblin has the advantage that you don't need in order to get value and mana. You can just keep adding names to get more red mana each time it ETB.
Goblin Airbrusher doesn't do anything on it's own, but once combined with the other Sticker cards will start creating treasures where mana is usually the bottleneck of the deck.

How Stickers work is that you need to have a minimum of 10 of the sticker sheets and before game starts you choose 3 at random.
So with 5 stickers sheets that have the "When this permanent leaves the battlefield" you only get a random selection of them and yes some are better than others.
You have a 30% chance to get a specific "When this permanent leaves the battlefield".
You have a 92% to get at least one of the "When this permanent leaves the battlefield".
You have a 50% to get two of "When this permanent leaves the battlefield".
You have a 08% to get three of the "When this permanent leaves the battlefield".

Deep-Fried Plague Myr|Token|15529
When this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Goblin Coward Parade|Token|15532
When this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may destroy target creature with power 4 or greater.

Giant Mana Cake|Token|15539
When this permanent leaves the battlefield, create two Food tokens.
When this permanent dies, you may destroy target nonland permanent.

Cool Fluffy Loxodon|Token|15542
When this permanent leaves the battlefield, you may draw a card.

Yawgmoth Merfolk Soul|Token|15548
When this permanent leaves the battlefield, target player discards a card.
When this permanent leaves the battlefield, create five 1/1 white Clown Robot artifact creature tokens.

I think the most powerful ones are the Deep-Fried Plague Myr|Token|15529, Cool Fluffy Loxodon|Token|15542 and Yawgmoth Merfolk Soul|Token|15548.

The Giant Mana Cake|Token|15539 is kind of a bit useless creating Food tokens, but I guess the life-gain could come in useful during some games.
The Goblin Coward Parade|Token|15532 could be good in some games destoying creatures power 4 or greater, but is more situational than the other stickers.

I've select the next 5 Stickers just based on potentially useful abilities in general.

Snazzy Aether Homunculus|Token|15540
Magecraft - Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery, draw a card.
This is actually insane in this deck, so this is one of the ones you'll want the most.

Eternal Acrobat Toast|Token|15533
{t}: Untap another target permanent.
Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, exile target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under owners control.
This has another exile ability, but does require combat damage so is more like a backup.
The tap ability could be used to make another mana each turn.

Eldrazi Guacamole Tightrope|Token|15513
You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying 2 life in addition to it's other costs.
This is more like a failsafe card, sticker it to something that you really need to cast again.

Elemental Time Flamingo|Token|15556
Whenever a creature you control dies, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
With token creatures you can go wide with this deck so puts opponents under pressure with mass removal.
Exile this permanent: You may cast target nonland card from your graveyard this turn.
This could be used in a clutch moment.

Phyrexian Midway Bamboozle|Token|15514
Whenever this creature attacks, you get .
Another way to get more .

I haven't played my Feather deck in over a year now and so I also looked up if any new tech via EDH REC and Rumpy Feather primer. There are a few choice cards that I have added.
I've removed the Heroic cards because once I've got an engine going I am general looking to target either Glorious Protector, Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward, Lumbering Battlement, Zada, Hedron Grinder or Mirrorwing Dragon.
Having addition tokens is cool for Zada, Hedron Grinder or Mirrorwing Dragon but in general it's a lot of overkill.

I also looked at Attractions for the deck and although there are some on theme cards like Tunnel of Love|76755 and just general good value cards, the way to enabler Attractions in Boros isn't that great.
So you could play some ETB creatures like Complaints Clerk, Ride Guide, Rad Rascal, Draconian Gate-Bot, but they are 4-5 mana which is kind of expensive for the pay offs which can be slow considering you really want to have more synergy around Attractions to make them more worth-while like additional dice rolling.

But I've listed the 10 I think you could use (I needed to do this to statisfy myself if it would be worthwhile or not) and you could pack the above creatures to get Attractions going as a sub-theme if you really want to mix things up.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”