Bash, Borrow, or Steal - Thassa, God of the Sea

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 4 years ago

Bash, Borrow, or Steal

Table of Contents

Introduction

Hot Take: Thassa is the best mono-blue commander, and you're not playing her. There are only 321 (for 0.118%!) decklists on EDHREC and that's a damned shame. So, I'm going to show you a few ways to build Thassa that will showcase her utility and play to her strengths.

Commander Analysis

Thassa is card selection engine unto herself. Being able to scry 1 every turn is a surprisingly powerful effect. Combined with the numerous other options for card selection in Blue means you can generally find the cards you're looking for when you need them.

Additionally, Thassa is survivable against most forms of removal. She starts life as an Indestructible Enchantment which is such a well protected permanent type that my Eldrazi kaiju build leverages this by playing very few blue permanents to keep Thassa on the board as much as possible. The Voltron build even has a secondary gameplan around turning Devotion off and on at will. Very survivable, indeed.

Finally, Thassa makes any creature you control unblockable. You will be connecting when you get to untap with your creatures. You will be doing appreciable damage every turn you swing.

Any one of those abilities would make for an excellent commander, but having all three in one makes Thassa my go-to for mono-blue.

Thassa's biggest weakness is being mono-blue, but since we get to use the Eternal cardpool, we can cover for that in a few ways. This is also a strength since the deck comes with a straightforward and rock solid mana base.

Starting with the same basic artifact mana centric skeleton, there are four builds I will be showcasing:
  • A general purpose build that roughly reflects the build I'm currently playing
  • An aikido build leveraging clones and creature theft effects
  • A Voltron build that pushes devotion and equipment
  • A kaiju build with two flavors, sea monsters and Eldrazi
Given that, if you're looking for a straightforward tap out control or a quick combo win, this deck isn't for you. If your inner Timmy isn't quite so inner, then Thassa is the commander for you.

Alternative Commanders

While I asserted that Thassa is the best mono-blue Commander, she's certainly not the only option. Sure, you could always play Talrand, Urza, or Azami, but if you've gotten this far in, those probably aren't the kind of EDH decks you want to build. Here are some other Commanders that might be worth your consideration for Thassa's gameplans. Additionally, these are all underrepresented as Commanders on EDHREC. Build weird, my friends!
  • Braids, Conjurer Adept, Jalira, Master Polymorphist - These Commanders are probably your best bets for playing big blue monsters and/or Eldrazi. Great means of cheating big creatures into play, these are your next best choices for good Timmy commanders.
  • Kefnet the Mindful, Tromokratis, Nezahal, Primal Tide - These are the Commanders I would look to for a Voltron strategy. They're all reasonable sized bodies with a means of protecting themselves. Kefnet is most comparable in terms of evasion and cost, but it's a bit easier to keep activated in Blue.
  • Empress Galina - Here's your oddball suggestion. There are lots of Legendary permanents to be had. Worst case, you can steal your opponents' Commanders. Another underrated card in EDH.

Deck History

The four builds I will be discussing represent the deck's evolution in the time that I've been playing it. It started out as an aikido deck that turned my opponent's creatures against them. I have a tendency to try out anything that works as Voltron as a Voltron deck and Thassa is no different. Then as time progressed, it became more proactive by including more large creatures of its own.

Now, I've dialed back the proactiveness slight to reflect a bit of "de-escalation" in my playgroup. Hence, it's currently somewhere between Voltron and aikido, and I'll be starting with the deck as I'm currently playing it.

Current Decklist

Alternate Decklists
Basic Skeleton
Show
Hide

These are the basics you'll want in all versions of this deck. It includes a card selection/draw package, an artifact ramp package (including tutors and artifact clones), and a basic suite of bounce and counterspells. This is a starting point with 72 cards and all mana needs addressed.

Key Interactions The world is now your oyster, so let's do some customizing!
Aikido Build
Show
Hide

This version goes all in on clone and spell copy/steal/redirect effects. While not powerful in its own right, this version will scale to the power level of the table. If you're looking to make friends with a new playgroup, this is probably your best bet.

Key Interactions
  • Desertion, Spelljack - Counter a spell and then steal it. These effects are relatively unique and add some unexpected depth to the deck.
  • Identity Thief - You can use this to reset your own clones to become copies of new things. An underrated value engine in this context.
Voltron Build
Show
Hide

This is a fairly standard build, I think, for Thassa: equipment like Inquisitor's Flail takes advantage of Thassa's indestructibility and lots of permanents with lots of blue pips.

Key Interactions
  • Shorecrasher Elemental - This is an interesting include because of its ability to turn itself face down again. Using that ability, you can potentially cycle between Creature and non-Creature for Thassa to foil things like Tragic Slip or Path to Exile that don't care about the indestructibility aspect.
  • Teferi's Veil, Vanishing - These cards are a bit more important in aggro builds that use Equipment. These cards protect your attackers without breaking Equips like blink effects would because Phasing is awesome like that. Vanishing can also be used to lock out opposing creatures by activating it on your opponent's Upkeep. Above all else, if you're going to use these cards make sure you're up to date on Section 702.25 of the Comprehensive rules! Most people don't know what to do about Phasing, so be prepared to explain it.
Kaiju Build - Eldrazi
Show
Hide

This version goes all in on Eldrazi and counterspells. This is the version that's probably the most aggressive and the most likely to be hated out. I would generally only recommend this version only be played once and put away or with a group that doesn't get salty over Annihilator.

Key Interactions
  • Eye of Ugin, Conduit of Ruin - Get the Eldrazi you need when you need it and enjoy a cost savings while you're at it. These can both really stretch your big turns into being able to do something utterly ridiculous like Bane of Bala Ged into a kicked Rite of Replication. Don't ever be afraid to tap out to do something like that.
  • Void Winnower - This card will be hated out. Expect that. But, it can turn the game in your favor all by its lonesome if it sticks. Defend it where you can.
Kaiju Build - Sea Monsters
Show
Hide

This is similar to the Eldrazi build, but with a greater emphasis on the flavor of sea monsters. There are a surprisingly high number of big blue creatures that provide value on top of everything else.

Key Interactions
  • Whelming Wave - This is kind of a no-brainer since it functions as a one-sided board wipe for you.
  • Scourge of Fleets, Kederekt Leviathan - Board sweepers on creatures. Scourge is one-sided most of the time while the Leviathan has extra value.
  • Stormtide Leviathan - Protect this at any cost. It will win games on its own provided it can stick because of its ability to shutdown combat for everybody but you. It's a shame you can't run two.
Budget Considerations
Show
Hide
At its heart, this isn't a budget deck. It's kind of expensive for what it is: a janky way to make lots of mana and play big creatures. The artifacts, tutors, and clones (Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power, Clever Impersonator, Phyrexian Metamorph, Sculpting Steel, Copy Artifact, Mirrormade, Inventor's Fair, Fabricate, Tezzeret the Seeker) that I consider to be the core of the deck are over $100 for just 10 cards.

That said, you can build this deck on the cheap outside of those cards. The Voltron build especially can be built without the mana doubler package and still be super effective with a mana curve that mostly tops out at 5.

Here are some alternatives to the most expensive, non-core cards in the deck:

Card Choice Discussion

NB: Card names in parentheses are other options in the described role that can be run, but for whatever reason, I don't currently.

Creatures
Show
Hide
  • Clever Impersonator, Phyrexian Metamorph, Phantasmal Image, Stunt Double, Spark Double, (Gigantoplasm), (Vesuvan Shapeshifter), (Vesuvan Doppelganger) - Send in the clones! The first two are especially important since they can copy Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power. The more you pack in, the more aikido your strategy, and the better your deck scales to the table you're at. If I'm playing with a new group of folks, I'll pack all the clones.
  • Draining Whelk - A counterspell on a stick. Save this for late game bomb and it doubles as a win condition. I highly recommend keeping this one reserve until mid-to-late game.
  • Fatespinner - One of my pet cards. This is an interesting disruption since it slows your opponent's development no matter what they choose. Skipping combat steps is especially helpful for this deck.
  • Fog Bank - This might be the best blocker in the game. Its only nemesis is Trample.
  • Hypnotic Siren - A flying chump blocker if necessary in the early game, but it really shines in the late game when it can steal the biggest creature threat on the board is and make it a flyer.
  • Magus of the Future - One of my favorite blue effects. This isn't as effective as it is in a more dedicated spellslinger type deck, but it can provide more gas when you need it. There is a significant downside in that your opponents get to see every card that you draw. If that's something that bothers you, try playing another draw spell in its place. I recommend Dream Cache or Ancestral Knowledge. This is also helpful in getting devotion online to make Thassa a creature.
  • Nezahal, Primal Tide - A massive source of card advantage that can protect itself and doubles as a beat stick. There is a good reason this is in the 99 of so many blue decks.
  • Nimble Obstructionist - It's a Stifle that cantrips and serves as a flying chump blocker in a pinch.
  • Scourge of Fleets - One-sided creature board wipe. Reset your opponents' creature development without disrupting your own army of high-toughness monsters. Another good synergy with our strategy of getting a large number of Islands on the board.
  • Solemn Simulacrum - Mono-blue needs all the help with ramp it can get. Again, another early game chump blocker when you need it.
  • Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir - Lock your opponents out from any instant speed shenanigans and give your own creatures Flash. This is helpful since instant speed combat tricks can potentially wreck our day.
  • Temporal Adept - A one card bounce engine. This is an excellent Capsize #2 since you can potentially lock out your opponent from a key permanent.

Artifacts
Show
Hide
  • Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power, (Extraplanar Lens) - These cards are your bread and butter for all versions of the deck. Your primary early-to-mid-game objective is to play one of these and then clone it with one of our numerous "Copy Artifact" effects. This, plus all of the available artifact ramp, should provide you with ridiculous amounts of available mana.
  • Expedition Map - We run lots of utility lands, so a way to be able to find them is helpful.
  • Fireshrieker, Inquisitor's Flail, Strata Scythe - Damage "doublers". Strata Scythe is especially nice since we're already looking to put a lot of Islands on the battlefield.
  • Gilded Lotus, Mind Stone, Sol Ring, Thought Vessel, Thran Dynamo, Worn Powerstone - These are the most efficient mana rocks available in mono-blue. Artifact ramp like these are necessary to be able to play your doublers before Turn 6.
  • Sculpting Steel - One of the most cost effective "Copy Artifact" effects available, second only to the original itself. At three mana, it's also nice to copy Thran Dynamo and Gilded Lotus.
  • Vedalken Shackles - An efficient and repeatable creature theft mechanism. It's good for neutralizing whatever happens to be the biggest threat on the board at the moment.

Instants
Show
Hide
  • Arcane Denial, Counterspell, (Dispel), Negate, Swan Song - This is a fairly standard suite of counterspells for an EDH deck. These will be the core of your disruption abilities. Save them for big swingy spells and to keep yourself from dying. Don't try to play the fun police. That commander is Baral.
  • Blue Sun's Zenith, (Pull from Tomorrow), (Stroke of Genius), (Braingeyser) - Turn all your extra mana into cards to refill your hand.
  • Brainstorm, Impulse - Instant speed card selection. Save these for your opponents' end of turn wherever possible.
  • Capsize, Cyclonic Rift, Evacuation - Bounce is one of the things that blue does best. These are the best bounce spells available.
  • Cryptic Command, Disallow, Insidious Will, (Mystic Confluence), (Archmage's Charm) - These are the kind of cards I live for. Multi-modal cards are my favorite type of spells because they end up being relevant in almost any situation.
  • Fact or Fiction - I'm old enough to remember "End-of-turn-Fact-or-Fiction-you-lose!" and this card has never lost that mystique for me. A bit of a pet card, but it's also efficient card draw and can be an effective political tool as well.
  • Mystical Tutor - A card that needs no introduction. A number of this deck's most powerful spells are instants or sorceries and now you effectively have two copies of each. Mystical Tutor also has excellent synergy with Future Sight and Magus of the Future.
  • Pongify, (Rapid Hybridization) - Creature destruction for one mana. A 3/3 isn't difficult to deal with in this deck.
  • Stifle - There are a lot of nasty effects that are triggered or activated abilities. Admittedly, this is mostly a tempo play, but this has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. It can also be amusing when used on a fetchland.

Sorceries
Show
Hide
  • Bribery - Take your opponent's best creature and make it yours.
  • Fabricate - This tutors up your important artifacts. Its role is mostly to be a second copy of Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power, but you can use its presence to build out a bit more toolboxiness in your artifact selection if you like.
  • Ponder, Portent, Preordain, Serum Visions - These cards are the backbone of the deck. Card selection is very important because it helps you find your ramp and dig for answers.
  • Recall - It's not the best in graveyard recursion, but it's the best available in mono-blue.
  • Rite of Replication - If played at the right moment, this can be a win condition unto itself. It's a basic clone at its base cost, but with the kicker it becomes five copies of the best creature on the board. This can be backbreaking, but you have to learn to time it and to choose your target well. My favorite memory of this particular card was using it on a Hand of the Praetors and the table subsequently conceding all at once.

Lands
Show
Hide
  • Ancient Tomb - An excellent ramp card. It's nice if you have one, but it's not crucial to the deck.
  • Buried Ruin, (Academy Ruins) - These provide artifact recursion on a land. Given the high importance of the artifacts we're running, this is an important ability to have available.
  • Castle Vantress - Powerful enough to make a difference for you, trivial enough to be an unlikely target for a Strip effect. Additional repeatable card selection is always welcome in any deck.
  • Ghost Quarter, Tectonic Edge, (Strip Mine), (Wasteland) - Maze effects can be brutal for this deck. You don't want your opponent to keep their Gaea's Cradle for too long. There are myriad reasons for having Strip effects, so run as many as you feel comfortable with.
  • Halimar Depths - Card selection for the cost of a land drop can be very useful.
  • Myriad Landscape - It's on the slow side, but you want as many Islands on the board as possible.
  • Terrain Generator - Helpful for increasing your count of Islands.
  • Thawing Glaciers - Reliable ramp and a source of card advantage. Have I mentioned how important it is to have Islands on the board?
  • Tolaria West - Thawing Glaciers #2, but also a tutor for any of our utility lands.

Planeswalkers
Show
Hide
  • Tezzeret the Seeker - This is Fabricate #2 that also manages to make itself free about seven or eight times out of ten.

Enchantments
Show
Hide
  • Corrupted Conscience - This may be a controversial card in some play groups, since Infect is a divisive mechanic. However, playing this on your own Thassa equipped with a Fireshrieker means one-shotting your opponents. This is just as effective on your own creatures as it is on your opponents, so keep that in mind when you draw it.
  • Future Sight - As mentioned above, one of my favorite blue effects. This isn't as effective as it is in a more dedicated spellslinger type deck, but it can provide more gas when you need it. There is a significant downside in that your opponents get to see every card that you draw. If that's something that bothers you, try playing another draw spell in its place. I recommend Dream Cache or Ancestral Knowledge. This is also helpful in getting devotion online to make Thassa a creature.
  • Mirrormade - Less expensive stand in for Copy Artifact, this has the additional benefit of being able to copy enchantments. This powerful enough to consider with the enchantments this deck includes, to say nothing of the opportunities provided by the best enchantments in the format.
  • Mystic Remora, Rhystic Study - I hear that drawing cards is good. There's a high salt value with these cards, but they do good work and are worth including.
  • Vanishing - This is one of my pet cards. You can use it to protect one of your creatures or to lock out one of your opponents' creatures. By now, it should be apparent that I value versatility in card choices and this is a versatile card.

Deck Philosophy

In a word, this deck is about versatility. As such, other than playing your threats, this is a reactive deck. You're going to be waiting for your opponent to make the first move most of the time because of the theft/clone angle of a number of your threats. However, you have answers to a wide variety of situations and the ability to deal with them long enough to have the potential to win.

Deck Strategy

Early Game Strategy
The early game with this deck is emphatically about establishing a certain board presence.

Start by playing Thassa as quickly as possible. You need to make sure you have enough mana sources in your opening hand so that you can cast Thassa no later than Turn 3. Her scry ability can do a lot of leg work in making sure that you don't miss land drops or draw too many lands. Unlike a lot of other decks, this one can probably get by with an opening hand that only has an Island and a Sol Ring for mana sources. It's still a gamble, but a well measured one.

Additionally, you'll be looking for any of the draw smoothing cantrips (Ponder, Preordain, etc.). If you're short on mana sources, play them early to help dig for the ramp you need. Any of the mana rocks, Tezzeret or Fabricate are what you're most wanting. Ideally, you'll be playing one of your mana doublers on Turn 4 or 5, but Turn 6 or 7 is more likely and perfectly acceptable.

If you think you've got an opponent who's looking to shut down your doublers, hold open enough mana to bluff interaction, even if you don't have any. There are times when you can get away with tapping out to play your doublers/clones, such as when you're playing against straight up aggro or otherwise non-interactive decks. This is an area where experience will guide you as you play this deck more and more since intuition is what's most important for this.

If you've got the mana you need, hold them back for mid-game to help you dig for threats or to synergize with our Future Sight effects to effectively dig deeper than you would be able to otherwise. Our threat density isn't as high as it might be with a dedicated aggro deck, so being able to filter for what you need is important.

Things like Fog Bank, Guard Gomazoa, or Phantasmal Image are also helpful in providing speed bumps or value, as the case may be. Don't be afraid to take damage early on. Remember that you are almost always the Beatdown, life totals don't matter much to you.

Mid-Game Strategy
This is where the magic starts to happen. Once you get a mana doubler online, develop your board state as much as you dare. You're going to need to strike a balance between inevitability and over-extending. You're in a better position than most to stop board wipes from happening, but you only have so many counterspells at your disposal.

If you haven't established yourself with a mana doubler, don't worry too hard. You can go with a more conventional draw-go playstyle. Draw your card, leave your mana open, pass the turn, play some instant speed card draw/card filter at the end of your right hand opponent's turn. Just be mindful of your threat assessment, discussed more in depth below.

If you've established yourself with a mana doubler, you'll want to try to clone it. The reasoning here is twofold. First, you want to create as much mana as possible. Our payoff spells cost 7+ mana, and it would be good to have mana available for a counterspell or two. Second, you want redundancy. This is an area where you can overextend to a degree. There aren't a whole lot of board wipes that can hit artifacts, and a number of them aren't likely to be seen. Spot removal is the reasonable fear for artifacts for the most part, so redundancy can be useful.

On the other hand, be judicious in your use of threats. I recommend keeping it to one or two at a time. You'll thank yourself in the late game when you lose your Bribery'd Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon to a clutch Swords to Plowshares. Most of the time, you'll be free to go ham with your clone/theft effects since we're packing so many, but in most cases you'll only have so many organic threats. Hold them back if you can.

This brings us to threat assessment. This is a crucial skill in all multiplayer formats, but doubly so with this deck.

What do you let hit the board so you can steal it? Generally speaking, if it's something you think you could win with, steal it. Steal enemy Eldrazi. Steal Skithiryx. Steal Avenger of Zendikar. When it comes to creatures that are combo pieces or alternate win conditions, it's player's choice. A key exception to this rule is Craterhoof Behemoth. Counter 'Hoof on sight; its ETB is that powerful.

What do you stop? Basically, if it's going to ruin your day or let someone else win, stop it. As I said previously, you're not the fun police with this deck, but blue players, in my opinion, have a responsibility to the fair decks at a table to keep things getting too far out of hand.

Since your mid-game development is dependent upon your opponents' mid-game development, what do you do when you're facing a creature light opponent? Or an opponent whose creatures are more synergistic (e.g. Morph decks, Elf decks, etc.), not explosive? You can always clone your own stuff, of course. Steal value engines in synergistic deck to deny them to your opponents as opposed to using them for your own benefit. In an example Elf deck, you'd want to steal things like Ezuri, Renegade Leader, a kicked Joraga Warcaller, or Timberwatch Elf. You don't want your opponent to have them, so theft can function as removal in these cases. Ultimately, though, this isn't usually a deck to play in metas where other decks are creature light. If that's your meta, consider running the Eldrazi or Sea Monster builds.

Late-Game Strategy
Once you've established your board state, it's time to close the deal. You should be hitting your opponents with big unblockables in one form or another. You've either played one of your big threats, or you've stolen your opponents' biggest threats. You've got something that can hit hard, so use it. Unusually for EDH, this deck wins by turning big creatures sideways. That's it. There's no infinite combo, no alternate win condition, nothing fancy, just creatures. Use Thassa to make them unblockable and win. It's as simple as that.

Granted, this isn't actually so simple. You've got to balance the right number of threats, against potential sweepers, versus your number of opponents, while considering what you've got that you can safely hold back. Make no mistake, while this is a simple deck to learn, it only reaches its full potential when you're making optimal plays. It's skill intensive but rewarding.

So let's review how you get to the End Game. You need to protect your threats. You need to make sure you've kept some gas in the tank so you don't sputter out. Your wins are predicated on the most vulnerable permanent type, so don't forget that.

The long game is not for you. This deck isn't grindy and can't play a grindy game. The kind of card advantage you pack doesn't lend itself to overly long games. Go for broke in the late game. You got here by playing it safe, so feel free to overextend and just smash as much face as you can as quickly as you can. As I said before, turn creature sideways and win.

Credit & Thanks

All credit due to @WizardMN for helping me realize how powerful the interaction between Caged Sun/Gauntlet of Power and clone effects with his Thassa decklist on MTGS. Thanks, man!

Change Log

30 September 2019
Show
Hide
8 October 2019
Show
Hide
Last edited by Rorseph 4 years ago, edited 58 times in total.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Tags:

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

I agree with you, Thassa is the best monoblue commander people don't play. There are more powerful options for comboing in a specific way, but Thassa is the best for doing general blue stuff.

There are plenty of suggestions I could make here but most are high budget improvements. All the cantrips get better with fetch lands. Sword of Feast and Famine is excellent with Thassa. I ran the extra turn spells to get extra combat steps. Most blue decks are utilizing that phase very well, Thassa makes up for that.

Anyway, its good to see people playing Thassa. Thanks for posting the deck.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

Thanks for the kind words, [mention]xeroxedfool[/mention].

Yeah, the biggest/best improvements would be adding things like Copy Artifact, Transmute Artifact, Extraplanar Lens, the Island fetch lands, and Snapcaster Mage. Although, I'm hoping to pick up an Extraplanar Lens and some more Snow-Covered Islands in the not too distant future.

Sword of Feast and Famine is/will be on the TBA Voltron list. That along with some extra turns effect makes for a really effective end game strategy, indeed.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

Throne of Eldraine Spoilers Thus Far:
  • Mirrormade is definitely going to get a slot. It's exactly what this deck was looking for.
  • Shimmer Dragon and Witching Well might be worth a look in some builds, but are probably low impact.
  • Arcane Signet is probably not worth it for a mono-blue build.
  • Heraldic Banner could be useful as a cheap anthem in Sea Monster builds.
  • Tome of Legends looks good for the Voltron build. The cost is pretty aggressive for colorless!
—Phyrexian Scriptures

xeroxedfool
Pronoun: he / him

Post by xeroxedfool » 4 years ago

I like Mirrormade as well. I think it will be a good card in the format for many blue decks. Shimmer Dragon should be useful for artifact decks. I dont think it will make the cut in combo decks, but I like the card for builds trying to win in other ways.
They're both Griffith, get it?

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

Mirrormade and Castle Vantress are both too good to pass up. An additional artifact clone is most welcome and additional repeatable card selection seems like a no-brainer.
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

SCG was having a sale that included Copy Artifact so I picked one up and found an Inventors' Fair in with my Kaladesh cards.
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Rorseph
Compleat Fool

Theros Beyond Death Review
This was a very exciting set for this deck, just as I had hoped.

Thassa's Intervention - All builds can make use of big X spells and being able to dig deep is certainly welcome, but I'm not sure this is much better than Dig Through Time in practice. Counterspell mode is cute, though.
Kiora Bests the Sea God - While this is kind of a flavor fail for a Thassa deck, all three steps are things this deck wants to do.
Thryx, the Sudden Storm - The cost reducing function is most interesting for me. Could fit in any build.
Shadowspear - A no-brainer in Voltron builds.
Nadir Kraken - Straight into Sea Monster builds.
_____

As an aside, I'm a bit disappointed what Pioneer has done to the cost of Thassa. I can't recommend her as strongly as a commander to build for funsies. Ah, well. Maybe I'll start some threads on the alternate commanders.
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”