Golos, Non-Infinite Elf-Storm

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

I only play this deck either
a) Goldfishing by myself as a form of meditation
b) When specifically requested
c) When someone doesn't understand no one else at the table enjoys watching them cast Time Warp three times in a row and then taking roughly a half-an hour to actually end the game during those times.

This decks idea is to make it so all my creatures turn into rite of flame with things like Lightning Greaves, Tangleroot, and Earthcraft while also turning every creature into Divination with things like Guardian Project, Primordial Sage and Skullclamp. Once a creature adds G and draws me two cards I can almost certainly draw and play my deck. Then, you kill the table with Tendrils of Agony or Joraga Warcaller + Concordant Crossroads. The game winning turn usually takes at least half an hour, as each creature creates at bare minimum three triggers, but once the deck is rolling closer to 5-7 and I cast over 40 in that turn.

It is explicitly designed to be incapable of going infinite. It can generate a storm count of over 300 and over 1 million damage with Magus of the Candelabra + Gaea's Cradle + Intruder Alarm + Joraga Warcaller. I had to cut intruder alarm because it went infinite with Chulane, Teller of Tales who is insanely busted in this deck. I might end up cutting him because I like generating millions of damage but Chulane is just sooooo strong.

Super Magical Christmas Land is
T1 - Land, Magus of the Vineyard
T2 - Land, Sol RingCadaverous Bloom (exile last card from opening hand and both cards drawn from turn 1 and 2) → Ad Nauseam → Kill Table

Having goldfished with this deck quite a lot, from my experience it seems to do the following (assuming no interaction).
Kill the table Turn 3-4: 20%
Kill the table Turn 4-6: 50%
Fizzle out and do nothing: 30%
Golos: Non-infinite elf storm combo
Approximate Total Cost:

Paradox Engine needs to become Wheel of fortune
I'm looking to squeeze in Orcish Lumberjack but I need a stomping ground and more fetches first.
I also need to pick up a Noble Hierarch
Glimpse of Nature should be in here.
Last edited by materpillar 4 years ago, edited 13 times in total.

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

I wonder if more tutors (specifically Demonic Tutor and Chord of Calling) might make your list a bit more consistent. Have you tried them over running a virtual two copies of Footbottom Feast? I also wonder if Muldrotha, the Gravetide might not be a more relevant commander if you're just running Damia effectively for her colors, as it would allow you to recur a few key combo pieces that were killed/discarded/sacrificed during the combo.

Given your pieces I also sorta wonder if Cloudstone Curio is a more powerful combo engine than Cryptolith Rite or Fecundity.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
I wonder if more tutors (specifically Demonic Tutor and Chord of Calling) might make your list a bit more consistent. Have you tried them over running a virtual two copies of Footbottom Feast? I also wonder if Muldrotha, the Gravetide might not be a more relevant commander if you're just running Damia effectively for her colors, as it would allow you to recur a few key combo pieces that were killed/discarded/sacrificed during the combo.

Given your pieces I also sorta wonder if Cloudstone Curio is a more powerful combo engine than Cryptolith Rite or Fecundity.
Damia isn't purely for her colors actually. Sometimes I completely dump my hand of mana dorks and just cast her turn 4. Having the ability to get out of top-deck mode in my command zone is really useful. I was pondering Yarok, the Desecrated though but I'm not sure I actually have enough triggers to warrant him as a lot of them are on cast.

cloudstone curio goes infinite with boots and two manadorks and I'm explicitly trying to avoid infinite loops. It is much stronger than the two cars you mentioned.

I'm unsure about tutors. When this deck is just starting to storm it is usually extremely tight on how much mana it has access to. I'm unsure of how many tutors I can squeeze in. I'm running sylvan scrying though and this is basically a straight upgrade. I will ponder these some more. I've also never played with cord of calling and have a hard time analyzing it. I can see it being worth it though.

materpillar
the caterpillar

I'm thinking of changing the general to Golos which would open up a few better 1cc creatures.
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Noble Hierarch
Orcish Lumberjack
Tinder Wall
Wild Cantor
Manaforge Cinder

Plus
Manamorphose
Mass Hysteria
wheel of fortune

I'm also considering
xantid swarm
bomat courier
Hope of Ghirapur
myr moonvessel

I'm really unsure if I'm missing any obvious RW cards.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Some pretty massive shifts in my decks build.
Damia is now Golos.

+1 Mass Hysteria
+1 Llanowar Wastes
-2 Forest
-1 Bolas's Citadel
+1 Tinder Wall
+1 Wild Cantor
+1 Manaforge Cinder
-1 Nurturer Initiate
-1 Drowned Catacomb
+1 Blood Crypt
+1 Avacyn's Pilgrim