[Deck Tech] Help me Improve My Commander Deck!

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
So I want to build a goad-themed deck where I just do everything i can to (in game) bash my opponents heads together.

I'm think either Kardur, Doomscourge for a commander or Zurgo Helmsmasher with a lot of ways to tutor up Assault Suit.

Basically:
1. Do you think either commander is better/ is their a third option I should consider
2. besides all the cards that say "Goad" (those are trivial to search up) are their any obvious cards I should be looking at
3. Is there somewhere where the rules for "must attack" effects are spelled out? EG. I know you don't have to attack a player who has a Ghostly Prison out, but if player A has that out and player B doesn't, do you have to attack player B? What if, every player except you has a ghostly prison effect, can the goaded creatures attack you since they "can't" attack anyone else? Obviously I don't expect any explanations here, but is there some post out there that explains it better than my google searches have done?

Thanks guys! deuces
Decklist post made: here

I dropped both options as they were far too linear for the kind of deck I had in mind. I played around a bunch more and eventually settled on Thantis, the Warweaver, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'm still in need of card draw, removal, and on-theme card suggestions.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TACanadian
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TACanadian » 2 years ago

Ahoy there! Hopefully this thread is still active. Im looking for some assistance with my 4 color Splicer/Golem tribal token commander deck. My commanders are Thrasios and Ravos. Here is the deck list, https://www.topdecked.com/decks/tokens/ ... 14652aa92b . Im looking for some possible replacements or cards to remove, as it is at 103. Thanks in advance! :)

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

Looking for some cuts on a Queen Marchesa deck. Ideally, I'd like this to play politically, either encouraging/forcing players to attack elsewhere, or discouraging them from attacking me.

Right now, the wincons I'm looking at are:
--Underworld Breach + Smothering Tithe + either Khorvath's Fury or Molten Psyche -- Fury can either mill everyone out, or kill everyone with damage based on hand size; Psyche can kill everyone else.
--Insurrection for a big swing (possibly Thrilling Encore to steal the board for a big swing)
--Comeuppance to reflect enough damage to kill the attacker
--Arcbond + Protector of the Crown + Darksteel Plate (I need to have X+1 more life than my opponents where X=damage dealt to Protector to start Arcbond loop)

Right now, I'm about 20 cards over deck limit, and not sure what to cut. Lands are placeholder to save on typing.
Queen M's Decree

Commander

Planeswalkers

Land

12 Swamp
12 Plains
Approximate Total Cost:

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Cuts..

Angel of jubilation
Chaos wand
Victory chimes
Rout
Orzhov advokist
Teysa
Sorin
Rector
Debtors knell
Norns annex (baaaaad)
Delaying shield
Elixir
Kunoros
Dawn charm
Cunning rhetoric

Just as a kinda general thought on marchesa I would consider not running many wipes. She benefits a lot from a clogged board.

I run zero board wipes in my breena build instead running winds of abandon and archon of coronation. I'd consider cutting all the wipes and trying to just win with marchesa on board. Play spot removal and hate and such.

yeti1069

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Cuts..

Angel of jubilation
Chaos wand
Victory chimes
Rout
Orzhov advokist
Teysa
Sorin
Rector
Debtors knell
Norns annex (baaaaad)
Delaying shield
Elixir
Kunoros
Dawn charm
Cunning rhetoric

Just as a kinda general thought on marchesa I would consider not running many wipes. She benefits a lot from a clogged board.

I run zero board wipes in my breena build instead running winds of abandon and archon of coronation. I'd consider cutting all the wipes and trying to just win with marchesa on board. Play spot removal and hate and such.
Dumped most of these. Kept Annex, Teysa, Delaying Shield, Cunning Rhetoric, and Dawn Charm for the moment.

Annex has saved my bacon once so far, as I had an opponent with a swarm or 1/1s that couldn't attack for lethal, because it would kill him on the way, but I agree that it may not be significant enough.

Teysa I've only gotten out once, and she was okay: warded off a big attack, and allowed me to get through to reclaim monarch. I'd probably prefer one of the other cards with the same "hit me and die" effect, but I don't own any of them, and they're not at the top of my list to acquire.

Delaying Sheild has come out a few times, and has been fantastic! It does generate some hate, but I probably would have gotten that anyway.

Rhetoric looks interesting, has warded me from a couple of attacks, and gotten me some land. Looking to try it a little more before making a decision.

Dawn Charm is on the chopping block.

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

Lately, I've been trying to get back into Magic after some financial hardship. For Commander, I've been working on this deck viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37651 based around combos that just end the game.

The deck I've built seems to need to ramp a little faster, and there are some good cards to do that (Farseek, Nature's Lore, Three Visits), but they mostly get Forests( except Farseek, which can't - which is also somewhat objectionable) and I also need Plains. This makes wonder in particular if Canopy Vista is worth a slot. Some of the slow ramp I've got now gets Forests anyway, so I'm not sure this is a valid objection. There are some other questions mentioned in the Decklist post.

I've got a couple of things to safeguard the combos, but I'm not certain the whole thing is viable in terms of competitiveness. I'm not sure I've got a good alternative as I'm not really in a position to shell out for another color combination or strategy.

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I always play the tangoes. Extra fetchables are so nice.

yeti1069

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Cuts..

Angel of jubilation
Chaos wand
Victory chimes
Rout
Orzhov advokist
Teysa
Sorin
Rector
Debtors knell
Norns annex (baaaaad)
Delaying shield
Elixir
Kunoros
Dawn charm
Cunning rhetoric

Posted a played/updated list: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37921&p=155667#p155667

yeti1069

Could use some input on my Sefris deck:

Sefris of the Hidden Ways

Enchantments

Approximate Total Cost:

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Looking to build a decently competitive BUG lands deck. Definitely want a loam engine. Decklist post here.

Decreator

Post by Decreator » 1 year ago

Can someone please help me with my deck? Decklist

- Budget is high as current deck costs around 1500$
- What would you cut from this deck (and maybe why)?
- Is more land ramp needed?
- Is mana ramp sufficient?
- Which cards would you exchange and for what?

Kind regards
Decreator

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 year ago

Has anyone built a Tameshi, Reality Architect deck that's fun? I built a control version in Historic Brawl in Arena, and was looking at it for EDH, which seemed like it would function MUCH better with all the ways to put lands into play not available on Arena, but it looks...suuuuuuper slow, and unless I go for a combo (a no-no at the LGS), I don't see a clear wincon. It also looks like it covers a lot of the same territory as an Osgir deck I have, which makes me even more hesitant to build it, but...damn, does it seem like it would be fun.

LGS's nonsense restrictions:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
-No combos; infinitely repeatable actions are capped at 4 activations
-only 1 extra turn allowed per game
-commander damage doesn't scale with buffs to the commander's power (if your commander is a 2/3, it will always be 2 commander damage per hit
-1 hour round time limit (really dumb with the above)
-first blood (first to deal [combat?] damage to an opponent breaks ties, and can be passed to an opponent who kills the first blood holder

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

viewtopic.php?t=136910

I'm looking at ways to improve it, mainly the land base and any other ways. I want to keep the basic idea of curses/"bad" enchantments for the others. So I'm open to replacements for other cards.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago
Has anyone built a Tameshi, Reality Architect deck that's fun? I built a control version in Historic Brawl in Arena, and was looking at it for EDH, which seemed like it would function MUCH better with all the ways to put lands into play not available on Arena, but it looks...suuuuuuper slow, and unless I go for a combo (a no-no at the LGS), I don't see a clear wincon. It also looks like it covers a lot of the same territory as an Osgir deck I have, which makes me even more hesitant to build it, but...damn, does it seem like it would be fun.

SPOILER
Show
Hide
-commander damage doesn't scale with buffs to the commander's power (if your commander is a 2/3, it will always be 2 commander damage per hit
-first blood (first to deal [combat?] damage to an opponent breaks ties, and can be passed to an opponent who kills the first blood holder
I don't think this commander is going to work with your LGS restrictions. I've built him and taken him apart purely because the stuff he needs is so, so niche. It was fun, but either slow or comboey. He does extra turns really well, and there's combos with Lion's Eye Diamond, but otherwise you're looking at a stax/control build or a durdler. Azorius struggles for actual win cons, sadly.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I had a list I was thinking about playing that was kind of geared to shut down combo decks but win without combo. I never built the list IRL as I just had a bunch of projects and while it looked fun I just didn't have the time to pull the trigger. viewtopic.php?t=53651

My wincons were mostly token / swarm based but Archon of Sun's Grace, Shark Typhoon, Starfield of Nyx, Sigil of the Empty Throne, Hallowed Haunting.

I did pack in some extra turns but it was mostly just because Tameshi can only trigger her ability once a turn and I included all those bouncelands. I could easily see pairing the turns down to one or two without an issue.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 10 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
10 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I had a list I was thinking about playing that was kind of geared to shut down combo decks but win without combo. I never built the list IRL as I just had a bunch of projects and while it looked fun I just didn't have the time to pull the trigger. viewtopic.php?t=53651

My wincons were mostly token / swarm based but Archon of Sun's Grace, Shark Typhoon, Starfield of Nyx, Sigil of the Empty Throne, Hallowed Haunting.

I did pack in some extra turns but it was mostly just because Tameshi can only trigger her ability once a turn and I included all those bouncelands. I could easily see pairing the turns down to one or two without an issue.
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I don't think this commander is going to work with your LGS restrictions. I've built him and taken him apart purely because the stuff he needs is so, so niche. It was fun, but either slow or comboey. He does extra turns really well, and there's combos with Lion's Eye Diamond, but otherwise you're looking at a stax/control build or a durdler. Azorius struggles for actual win cons, sadly.
Yeah, thanks for the replies, folks. I keep circling this, but every time I try to put a list together I come to the same conclusions: too slow for the time limit, non-combo/extra turns removes some of the biggest strengths.

I've been considering building Tameshi all-in for play on Spelltable, but for right now at least too many of the pieces are being using by Osgir, and there's a little too much overlap. So it will stay on the back burner.

In the meantime, I think I've been inspired to retire my Korvold deck for the time being and convert it to Henzie. I have a feeling that will be too clunky, but since I have almost everything I need already, and Henzie is less than a dollar, I'll give it a shot.

I may also buy the Buckle Up vehicles precon and upgrade it slightly. Debating amongst Breya (brings in some of the red vehicle-related cards from Kaladesh and such, plus Storm the Vault), Sydri, Galvanic Genius (animate vehicles without having to crew, then give them some valuable keywords), or maybe partners? Leaning heavily towards Breya partly because I've had it sitting in a binder since it came out, and partly because I already have two Esper decks and would rather add a color than duplicate the colors exactly.

The other stuff I'm considering is rebuilding my Rashmi deck (Simic control), rebuilding my Kess deck (discard control)--not sure I want to have a second Grixis deck (Marchesa), or...burning all my cards.

yerrowchilll

Post by yerrowchilll » 9 months ago

Looking for a few more cards to round my build (7 to be exact) for Omnath, Locus of Creation - landfall. I recently took out a few ramp cards, and now I am not sure what to include. I was going to toss in common EDH cards like mana drain, Force of Vigor, etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3R9rAvGWJ0OqPnlhNea5ng

pokken

Post by pokken » 9 months ago

yerrowchilll wrote:
9 months ago
Looking for a few more cards to round my build (7 to be exact) for Omnath, Locus of Creation - landfall. I recently took out a few ramp cards, and now I am not sure what to include. I was going to toss in common EDH cards like mana drain, Force of Vigor, etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I'd add Life from the Loam and maybe think about some more draw spells. And maybe a Tranquil Thicket

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 9 months ago

Hi, looking for some help with an Eruth spell slinging deck . I've originally built it as a budget deck ($25 challenge with friends) and it turned out to be a lot of fun to play, so I've tried to upgrade it but struggling to find a wincon. My main playstyle is Voltron, I have little experience with spell slinging, and so I am hoping someone can help me :)

The decklist: https://archidekt.com/decks/3692482/izzet_prophecy

In most games I can go through most of the deck but not fast enough to make "no cards in library" win relevant, and I can't seem to assemble enough damage dealing effects to win that way. I don't want the deck to be competitive, but it could use something that makes it more than durdle, so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 9 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
9 months ago
Hi, looking for some help with an Eruth spell slinging deck . I've originally built it as a budget deck ($25 challenge with friends) and it turned out to be a lot of fun to play, so I've tried to upgrade it but struggling to find a wincon. My main playstyle is Voltron, I have little experience with spell slinging, and so I am hoping someone can help me :)

In most games I can go through most of the deck but not fast enough to make "no cards in library" win relevant, and I can't seem to assemble enough damage dealing effects to win that way. I don't want the deck to be competitive, but it could use something that makes it more than durdle, so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
I don't know if you're nailed to Eruth, but if you aren't, try Rielle, the Everwise. She gets scary quick and can also be built well on a budget. With just a touch of unblockable and hexproof tech, you can lean into your voltron tendencies without losing the fun of %$#% out a bunch of spells and drawing a bunch of cards in the spellslinger archetype.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 9 months ago

yerrowchilll wrote:
9 months ago

Some small details.
Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth because you can save your fetchlands for when Omnath, Locus of Creation is in play.
I would definitely play the other fetchs in Bloodstained Mire, Marsh Flats, Verdant Catacombs if you have access to them.
Do the 50/50 split of Snow-Covered Mountain, Snow-Covered Plains to swap with the other basics for Field of the Dead.

Burgeoning to get more lands into play and combos with Ghost Town, Gruul Turf, Simic Growth Chamber, Meloku the Clouded Mirror, Trade Routes for tons of landfall triggers. Also Sakura-Tribe Scout + Retreat to Coralhelm.
Sakura-Tribe Scout + Quirion Ranger/Scryb Ranger is a landfall combo as well.
Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild is an infinite combo as you can return the Quirion Ranger to hand as the "Forest" and say untap Ashaya, Soul of the Wild that can tap for mana. That's infinite landfall triggers.

I like Clever Concealment over March of Swirling Mist. I get that March can hit opponents creatures as well, but Clever Concealment is a zero costing most times and protects other non-creature permanents.

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary is a super impressive card that has found a home in all my green decks. Perfect for additional ramp/landfall triggers and later in game can be used to get back cards.

Nissa, Resurgent Animist is perfect for the deck and you have plenty of elves and elementals to get.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 9 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
9 months ago

Thanks!
Spell slinger to win with damage aka Guttersniping has always been terribly inefficient and is compounded when dealing with budget considerations. And if you're not on a budget then it's just better to win via other storm tactics.

I can see that the general approach of other players using Eruth, Tormented Prophet is to completely disregard your hand with Breakthrough, Goblin Lore, Burning Inquiry type cards.
This makes Ghirapur Orrery better and on that note add Phial of Galadriel.
I would lean heavily into this style of approach.
Anje's Ravager, Bedlam Reveler, Moonveil Regent, Bomat Courier are excellent for this.
This might be one of the few deck where Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded is actually a good planeswalker.
Then making use of discarded cards via Delve in Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, Ethereal Forager.
Ox of Agonas discarded and cast for it's rr. Vindictive Flamestoker might take a little while to get efficient but worth a try.
Currency Converter and Bag of Holding are also great for the discard.

As you've probably discovered mana is your major bottleneck. Exiling 12 cards a turn is easy, casting any of them is not, considering you've already spent mana to get there. Without access to cheap mana rocks, gaining advantages is much harder.
So looking at medium budget options;
Rite of Flame, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, Seething Song, Runaway Steam-Kin, Simian Spirit Guide.
Wayfarer's Bauble, Talisman of Creativity, Everflowing Chalice, Gilded Lotus as additional mana.
Coveted Jewel might be a bit controversial but exile 9 cards and it basically only costs 3 mana.
Wild-Magic Sorcerer acts a pseudo cast more each turn.
I would dip into High Tide and untap cards. You already have Frantic Search but add Snap, Cloud of Faeries, Peregrine Drake, Turnabout as even without High Tide they are just free cards you can cast from exile.

Laelia, the Blade Reforged can just get really large in this deck.
Rielle, the Everwise is massive draw card with all the discard.
Mishra's Bauble for value, wait until opponents end step to crack so you get the draw in your turn.

If you are getting into the slightly more expensive to buy cards then Treasonous Ogre, Windfall, Gitaxian Probe.

There is some token strategy with Young Pyromancer, Third Path Iconoclast, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, The Lost and the Damned.
The Lost and the Damned is straight up a win condition on it's own!
There are more but I'm trying to keep your deck as mana efficient as possible.
Another pay-off that you can use Sorcerer Class for mana. Add Anger to the deck (which is easily discarded) the LotR version is cheap to buy.
Unfortunately The Locust God doesn't trigger as a replacement effect happens with Eruth.

Anyway I can recommend cards to cut, but I'll wait for your feed-back and if you want me to draft the entire deck if you like the direction I've suggested then that's easy for me. If you want me to keep it to $25 I can do that, but not sure if your intention of upgrading is that you can add more dollars to the build?

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 9 months ago

@TheAmericanSpirit Thanks for the suggestion but not looking to change the commander. I'll keep Rielle in mind though because she sure looks like a spell-slinging-Voltron.
darrenhabib wrote:
9 months ago
I can see that the general approach of other players using Eruth, Tormented Prophet is to completely disregard your hand...
It is an approach I've tried to take as well, and to be honest it does work as intended, I often play with no cards in hand to no disadvantage. Problem I have is capitalizing on it, since I can't control when I can cast Jace for the wincon.
darrenhabib wrote:
9 months ago
I would dip into High Tide and untap cards. You already have Frantic Search but add Snap, Cloud of Faeries, Peregrine Drake, Turnabout as even without High Tide they are just free cards you can cast from exile.
Good shout, I've recently got around getting copies of High Tide, and I will look into those creatures, I know I got copies somewhere.

Laelia, the Blade Reforged sounds like she could be a good damage dealer. Thanks for pointing out the Locust God, it hasn't came up in my games yet :rofl:

As for the budget, might have worded it wrong, the deck started as 25 Euros but it is not anymore, I am not looking to buy super expensive cards, but there is no budget I am adhering too, so feel free to suggest anything :)

I'll have a look to add more token generators, I was finding them bit too slow before.
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 8 months ago

I got this idea of running a turbo fog list that fogs during my own combat. Basically I attack with creatures which opponent will try to block. I will then cast an asymmetrical fog that protects my stuff and opponent loses his. If opponent doesn't block he takes lot of damage and when he tries to crack back I fog to keep myself safe.

Here is the list
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/0cLZAEtCjUuOh26Uc3oJDQ

I'm mostly looking for what creatures to run. I'm not 100% locked in with Riku as the commander but I feel like he is the best because temur has most asymtrical fogs and he can also copy creatures for bigger board.

pokken

Post by pokken » 8 months ago

illakunsaa wrote:
8 months ago
I got this idea of running a turbo fog list that fogs during my own combat. Basically I attack with creatures which opponent will try to block. I will then cast an asymmetrical fog that protects my stuff and opponent loses his. If opponent doesn't block he takes lot of damage and when he tries to crack back I fog to keep myself safe.

Here is the list
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/0cLZAEtCjUuOh26Uc3oJDQ

I'm mostly looking for what creatures to run. I'm not 100% locked in with Riku as the commander but I feel like he is the best because temur has most asymtrical fogs and he can also copy creatures for bigger board.
I'd consider 4c sansblack, white has some sick foggy stuff. Flawless Maneuver is basically fog.

I'd probably try to run Kynaios and Tiro. As bad as I normally think group hug is, Howling Mine has been a cornerstone of turbo fog decks forever for a good reason.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”