Chronomancy: A Sevinne Edh Deck

grimoiredark
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by grimoiredark » 4 years ago

Good Afternoon!

Since no one has posted anything on him just yet, I wanted to throw my hat into the ring with my version of Sevinne, the Chronoclasm.
Decklist

Commander:1

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck was inspired by a Will and Rowan Kenrith primer created by darrenhavib with some similar themes. The focus of the deck is to control the board (taking advantage of Sevinne's immunity to damage) with damage based removal and boardwipes. From there, getting to the late game to cast Sevinne and get insane value off of flashing back spells.

While there are a few ways to close out the game in this build, I did struggle to come up with more for this deck. If anyone would like to offer suggestions or criticisms, please let me know!

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Right now it seems like you are on the "infinite damage with Ral" plan as your only way to reliably win the game (possibly assisted by the "double up some giant Jaya's Infernos" plan). I'd definitely think of adding a few other outs:

- Add a few Time Warp effects with the idea of eventually getting to 10-16 mana and winning by infinitely looping them via Mystic Retrieval + Runic Repetition/Pull from Eternity while you kill them with 'walkers or the slow and steady grind.

- Add Stuffy Doll, Truefire Captain, and Boros Reckoner and similar such cards so you can rockandsock people with boardwipes.

- Add Call the Skybreaker and Cenn's Enlistment and some of the "make a token on spellcast" cards alongside Jeskai Ascendancy and win with a token swarm.

To get room to do some of that (or all of it?), it seems to me off the top of my head that Mass Diminsh, Flood in Tears, Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Firemind's Foresight, and Ral, Izzet Viceroy are pretty low-impact in your deck. I also think that while they are a ton of fun, Throes of Chaos, Mizzix's Mastery, Past in Flames, and Ignite the Future don't interact with Sevinne the way you might hope or wish.

- Because Cascade is "when you cast this" as a trigger and the copy is not cast, you don't get to cascade a second time with Sevinne when you retrace Throes of Chaos.

- Because Mastery says "exile your graveyard, and then copy all cards exiled this way", flashing it back with Sevinne does nothing special.

- Giving cards two instances of Flashback doesn't do much, and so Past in Flames is only super great on the first casting so that you can double up on a spell not normally doubleable. That means it will often be a glorified and worse Mission Briefing/Snapcaster Mage/Torrential Gearhulk in your list.

- I could be wrong on this last one, but because Ignite says "if this spell was cast from your graveyard", I believe that if you copy it with Sevinne you won't get double free cards. That isn't bad, as you are still getting the three exiled cards + the three freebies for eight, but it isn't as amazing as you may think.

grimoiredark
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by grimoiredark » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Right now it seems like you are on the "infinite damage with Ral" plan as your only way to reliably win the game (possibly assisted by the "double up some giant Jaya's Infernos" plan). I'd definitely think of adding a few other outs:

- Add a few Time Warp effects with the idea of eventually getting to 10-16 mana and winning by infinitely looping them via Mystic Retrieval + Runic Repetition/Pull from Eternity while you kill them with 'walkers or the slow and steady grind.

- Add Stuffy Doll, Truefire Captain, and Boros Reckoner and similar such cards so you can rockandsock people with boardwipes.

- Add Call the Skybreaker and Cenn's Enlistment and some of the "make a token on spellcast" cards alongside Jeskai Ascendancy and win with a token swarm.

To get room to do some of that (or all of it?), it seems to me off the top of my head that Mass Diminsh, Flood in Tears, Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Firemind's Foresight, and Ral, Izzet Viceroy are pretty low-impact in your deck. I also think that while they are a ton of fun, Throes of Chaos, Mizzix's Mastery, Past in Flames, and Ignite the Future don't interact with Sevinne the way you might hope or wish.

- Because Cascade is "when you cast this" as a trigger and the copy is not cast, you don't get to cascade a second time with Sevinne when you retrace Throes of Chaos.

- Because Mastery says "exile your graveyard, and then copy all cards exiled this way", flashing it back with Sevinne does nothing special.

- Giving cards two instances of Flashback doesn't do much, and so Past in Flames is only super great on the first casting so that you can double up on a spell not normally doubleable. That means it will often be a glorified and worse Mission Briefing/Snapcaster Mage/Torrential Gearhulk in your list.

- I could be wrong on this last one, but because Ignite says "if this spell was cast from your graveyard", I believe that if you copy it with Sevinne you won't get double free cards. That isn't bad, as you are still getting the three exiled cards + the three freebies for eight, but it isn't as amazing as you may think.
After reading some of the cards you suggested and doing a bit of my own research off my inspiration, I think this deck can be built in a different direction to utilize those cards. Being inspired by a superfriend's deck, I think Sevinne has the potential to be one due to some factors:

1. Sevinne's immunity to damage takes advantage of the damage based board wipes and planeswalkers can take advantage of this as well.

2. Doing this would give some more power to a few of the cards you listed I throw out ( Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Mass Diminsh, and Ral, Izzet Viceroy to name a few).

3. This can also go with a lot of the token cards you suggested as they can help protect your walkers as well.

Some walkers that could be helpful with this kind of deck:

Jace, Memory Adept
Jace' Wielder of Mysteries
Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor
Teferi, Time Raveler

Just to name a few (Even Will Kenrith and Rowan Kenrith fit nicely to support the spells too). Will need to rework the list for that and give the deck some more bite.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”