Help Me Improve Someone Elses Deck!

braden
Pronoun: they / them

Post by braden » 4 years ago

Hi Friends!

I recently purchased an entire EDH deck (sleeves and deckbox included) on Ebay!

I am looking to you for some first suggestions towards making the deck more coherent and fun!

I am thinking of adding more "untap matters" cards to the deck and cutting a lot of the Druid tribal cards.

Some cards I've already looked into include:
* Seedborn Muse
* Mobilize
* Quest for Renewal
* Rally the Troops
* Village Bell-ringer

The List:
https://archidekt.com/decks/172409#Ebay_Selvala

Thanks!

Tags:

reltastic
Selesnya's Voice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by reltastic » 4 years ago

Have you played with it yet? It seems pretty solid just looking at it, but it's hard to know what the deck is supposed to be going for.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

'Improvements' is a pretty vague term. What are you looking to do with the deck?
-are you looking to make the deck more powerful vs more fun?
-what does your meta look like?
-is this your only deck and you want to tune it, or your 20th deck and you want to do something silly?
-is there a direction you want to take the deck in?
-any budget considerations?

A few thoughts I have:
-The MLD (Armageddon, Winter Orb, etc) is probably not the greatest idea to take into an unknown meta. You could tone those down into Primal Order or Wave of Vitriol.
-31 lands is on the low side. You do have a lot of mana dorks, but board wipes will set you back pretty hard. Consider something like Heroic Intervention or Teferi's Protection.
-manabase could probably be improved - 26 is a lot of basics, and there are a lot of great fixing options for Selesnya.
-I don't see much removal, which makes you very vulnerable to cards like Linvala, Keeper of Silence and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. Answers to them are sort of a meta call, but Beast Within and Generous Gift are pretty solid general answers.
-a few more creature-friendly cards, such as Beast Whisperer (and Skullclamp) could be worth running to take advantage of the fact that you're running so many creatures.
-I don't see a ton of big spells to take advantage of all the mana you'll be generating - Genesis Wave, Ezuri, Renegade Leader, and Craterhoof Behemoth are all staple payoffs for elfball.

My Samut deck is tap-ability tribal, so I can provide some insight into that. Without red, you don't have much access to haste other than equipment and Concordant Crossroads, which will be a significant limiting factor. Magewright's Stone and Staff of Domination are two other untap effects worth considering. Not a ton of tap effects I can recommend (I intentionally avoided building elfball with my deck, so there isn't a ton of overlap with what you would want), but Yisan, the Wanderer Bard and Mother of Runes are worth mentioning.

Actually playing the deck and testing it a bit is also a very good idea - get some data points to identify deck weaknesses before you fiddle with things too much.

braden
Pronoun: they / them

Post by braden » 4 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for the help!

So far I've decided my top priority is improving the mana base.

I ordered 3 Fetchlands, Prismatic Vista, and a Savannah (already had been wanting to pick one up) so those should arrive around the same time as the deck.

Heroic Intervention and Teferi's Protection are great ideas!!

I think Craterhoof is also going to be a good addition. I'll look around for one on a budget.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”