New Player Looking to Upgrade

GreyDemiGod
Pronoun: they / them

Post by GreyDemiGod » 4 years ago

Brudiclad Artifact Army
Approximate Total Cost:

Current EDH deck. Trying to figure out any good cheap upgrades from here (this is my first/only deck so far, and I can't commit a lot of spare $$ to get the high-cost single upgrades.)

The primary ideas of the deck are a) make a lot of tokens, and b) turn everything into the biggest token I can make via Brudiclad. That second part is made more effective by a number of clone cards, like Mimic Vat, Prototype portal, Helm of the Host, etc. that let me make a token of my own or an opponent's creature, effectively stealing some strong effects. It's worth noting that Brudiclad can copy into any token you want, so there are some niche options like making a ton of treasure tokens, clue tokens, or even any artifact item you want via prototype portal.

I'm probably not gonna be able to get a lot of the +$20 singles that could push this towards competitive, but I'll be looking for anything to help streamline/strengthen this as a main deck for a while.

Any advice on where to go from here is appreciated, although I've def got a 'short list' of dream upgrades already;

Blightsteel Colossus, Cyclonic Rift, Vedalken Orrery, Skullclamp, It That Betrays, Contagion Engine, Darksteel Forge, Nevinyrral's Disk, Mycosynth Lattice, Rhystic Study, and Blasting Station/Summoning Station are all on my wishlist. Any of the obvious land upgrades kinda go without saying that I'll include if I ever get my hands on them, but I'm not expecting to unless they get reprinted for cheap.

Tags:

Isabelle

Post by Isabelle » 4 years ago

A favorite red card of mine might be worth considering here: Heat Shimmer. It's around $5 so not too expensive. Very nice because it can copy your's or your opponent's creatures allowing you to get a token army of anything on the board. It does only last for a turn which might make it a bit narrow but I think it's worth considering.

Twinflame is very similar to shimmer and under $1, however it can only target your stuff making it somewhat more limited.

GreyDemiGod

Post by GreyDemiGod » 4 years ago

Hmm. I'm definitely not against more ways to nab an opponent's monster as a token. I think it works well used as a 'finishing blow,' if I can be sure I'll knock someone out on that swing, but losing all of my tokens after the fact is def a drawback (I'm assuming all copied tokens keep that "remove from game" text. If not, this quickly becomes a must-have for this deck.)

The second card is good for similar reasons, but I've already got several cloning cards in my deck that don't disappear, so I'd probably put it in a sideboard in case I need more of that. Ty for suggestions! I'm only really familiar with the current standard rotation + some really well known cards, so I always like to see some more options I may have missed.

Isabelle

Post by Isabelle » 4 years ago

GreyDemiGod wrote:
4 years ago
losing all of my tokens after the fact is def a drawback (I'm assuming all copied tokens keep that "remove from game" text. If not, this quickly becomes a must-have for this deck.)
Hmm, yeah I hadn't thought about that. I'm not 100% sure how that interaction would go, but I would assume that you would lose them all because the "sacrifice at eot" ability is given to the token, it's not on heat shimmer itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”