Kaalia, Zenith Seeker Aristocrats

Isabelle
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Isabelle » 4 years ago

Looking back through the m20 legends New Kaalia caught my eye. Her ability is a bit limited but she is efficient and under the radar enough that I think she could work. Mardu ETB's is not a space that I have explored too much which is another factor pulling me to this commander. So here's a rough stab at Mardu ETB Aristocrats:

So this is what I have so far. Right off the bat there are some things I need to change.

Haven't really looked at the manabase yet, so that's placeholder for now.

I'm missing Ashnod's Altar as a sac outlet, so I'm gonna try to find space for that. Also missing Blood Artist.

There are a few single target blink/reanimate cards in the list which I feel I should move away from. While a Feather, the Redeemed/Mirrorwing Dragon package has potential, I think jamming it spreads us a little thin.

It would be cool to run a couple steal cards such as Word of Seizing and or Insurrection just because of how they interact with our sacrifice outlets. I would also like to jam some more interaction in general, I'm missing enchantment/artifact destruction which I feel Mardu comes by pretty easily.

The list runs pretty low to the ground with an average cmc of 3.10 which is much better than I was expecting. We have a pretty even spread of Angels/Demons/Dragons: 7 angels, 7 demons, 6 dragons, and 5 changelings, giving us 25 hits off of Kaalia.

There are quite a few instants/sorceries in the deck so some recursion for them would be nice. Sadly in these colors most spell recursion is spell-based and not on creatures. There is that New Hellkite from c19 which might be good here.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this list came together. It needs some fine-tuning but there are enough good cards in this archetype that I think I'll be able to make it work. I've got most of the expensive pieces so I might order the rest and start tinkering with it irl.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions/feedback.

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”