Sefris, Dungeon Ransacker

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

AFR doesn't have many new mechanics (really just Dungeons, Dice Rolling and the Class cards), and Dungeons are my favourite at first blush. After buying the precon and opening a showcase Barrowin of Clan Undurr, and Hama Pashar, Ruin Seeker, I've built Sefris. Many of the cards linger from the preconstructed deck, but I'm not sure I'll continue to play them or not.

Sefris
Approximate Total Cost:

Initial musings after exactly one game
The ETB Venture crew seems to be the strongest, with Nadaar, Selfless Paladin being the foremost; it also ventures on attack and has vigilance to block, which Sefris won't mind. Thassa basically permits a free Venture with any of these guys, and you can power through the dungeons surprisingly fast. The only trouble seems to be that they are mostly costed at 3, which is the same as the general and leaves a dearth of turn 1-2 plays. Even Displacer Beast seemed fairly serviceable, though I think paying for its self-bounce would be a very rare sight.

The on-contact Venture crew feels bad. Yuan-Ti Malison probably feels great turn two, but later in the game when I was swinging with a horde of smaller guys, I felt like they probably wouldn't get any value. Even Triumphant Adventurer fares poorly against tokens, or if someone just blocks with two creatures. The saving grace is that two of these guys cost 2, which is admittedly very attractive in the early game. However I will probably cut every one of these guys and move to a more ETB focused pile with Teleportation Circle and possibly Ghostway/Eerie Interlude with an Archaeomancer to help slowly loop it (or for general value). They're almost certainly dead draws later in the game.

I did not try the following: Secret Door, Ranger's Hawk, Fifty Feet of Rope. They just seem horrible at sorcery speed and even though activating Ranger's Hawk is functionally like casting a Displacer Beast, it's... just not there? These feel like Limited chaff, and at least Dungeon Map is a mana rock (which may not even make the cut in the future in favour of a 2-cost rock) and Dungeon Descent is a land.

I did draw Immovable Rod but didn't use it; my opponents didn't have anything that truly needed immobilizing, and I was already venturing at a good enough pace. I think it's probably good enough to keep, since it has a fail case of 4: Venture once at what amounts to instant speed.

Many of the dies-synergy crew was okay, but not outlandishly so with Sefris. Plaguecrafter was his usual okay self, Priest of Fell Rites was a reasonable reanimation spell that Barrowin could potentially dig up. The 'dream' of using the (not-yet-included) Reassembling Skeleton and Viscera Seer with Sefris out seems like kind of a pipe dream, and probably too much mana (unless Smothering Tithe is also involved).

Things to include:
Soulherder
Teleportation Circle
Reassembling Skeleton
Cloister Gargoyle
Changelog
Show
Hide
2021/08/10
-Dungeon Map
-Delver's Torch
-Yuan-Ti Malison
-Yuan-Ti Fang-Blade
-Triumphant Adventurer
-Guardian of Faith
-Plaguecrafter
-Amphin Mutineer
-Master of Death
-Mnemonic Wall
-Sheoldred, Whispering One
+Cloister Gargoyle
+Teleportation Circle
+Eerie Interlude
+Ghostway
+Archaeomancer
+Soulherder
+Diluvian Primordial
+Sepulchral Primordial
+Unmarked Grave
+Lolth, Spider Queen
+Teferi, Master of Time

On-contact creatures as indicated underperformed. I could almost run the 2-mana ones, since chump blocking isn't absolutely absurd in this deck and early-curve plays can be important. I may reconsider Malison and Triumphant despite their lack of synergy with the flicker kit, but the Yuan-Ti Fang-Blade is just too slow to feel good about. Dungeon Map was too awful to contemplate; it did both things badly, a 3-mana rock isn't the hottest when most of the creature curve starts at 3, but the 3-mana plus tap for a venture felt bad for a 'real' card in the deck (I have used Dungeon Descent, and though it costs more mana to activate, it at least purports to have a lower opportunity cost). Delver's Torch was similarly kind of bad; the buy-in for +1/+1 and venture on attack was just too high, and there was significant anti-synergy with Thassa/Teleportation Circle. Sword of H&H has the same disadvantages, but getting protection from white and green, and getting untapped lands somewhat defrays the cost (while the flicker is usually aimed at something that will duplicate Delver's Torch's trigger, though there is some welcome flexibility there, too).

Sheoldred got the cut since it felt too slow, and didn't have the potentially blowout proportions the Dimir Primordials have (and she is a legend in addition, which means I can't cherry pick her with the newly included Unmarked Grave). One doesn't want to flicker her either, so, she seems like less of a bomb than the Primordials (who would absolutely love to step into a Teleportation Circle). There is some anti-synergy between Ghostway and Sepulchral Primordial that I'm not terribly fond of, but, hopefully Viscera Seer will be there to sort it all out.

Guardian of Faith is actually a fairly good card, but got cut for two reasons: I want ETBs to trigger again which phasing won't do, and it had some anti-synergy with Sword of Hearth and Home. It's true that Eerie Interlude has the same targeting issue, but it has the juice with most of our creature base, and can be looped with Archaeomancer. I think Guardian of Faith would really shine in a deck more focused on tokens, but, this isn't it.

Lolth has performed okay so far. She gets the nod for there being plenty of opportunity for creatures to die, and the general defensiveness of her -3. It's true her tokens won't trigger Sefris, but in truth, 2/1 menace/reach tokens feel quite powerful. Teferi is just grand in multiplayer, and can trigger Sefris with his +1 leading to some pretty awkward ventures at inopportune moments for our opponents. (I would also be kidding myself if I didn't acknowledge that it's a Magic-version of D&D, and of course Lolth has to be here, that only makes sense!)

Currently, I only want to find room to (re)add Mnemonic Wall (or something similar like Shipwreck Dowser) so I can solidify the Ghostway combo, and potentially find room for more removal/card draw/etc. I may also try to find room for Glorious Protector who does a good Eerie Interlude impression while also being a competent sword-carrier. Sword of the Animist is also a thought, since Sefris is so low to the ground in terms of mana.
Last edited by Sinis 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

When I toyed with Sefris, one thing that seemed good to me were big cycling creatures like Timeless Dragon, Eternal Dragon, Angel of the Ruins, Curator of Mysteries, and Archfiend of Ifnir. These all trigger Sefris for a Venture while making for reasonable reanimation targets when you complete a dungeon They're all also pretty good hits off of the last chapter of Dungeon of the Mad Mage in terms of mana value for your buck. I almost wonder if they're good enough to go full cycling with Sefris, since Astral Slide and Astral Drift play so well with the EtB Venturers? But at any rate, I definitely think at least a few of them seem worth.

Sinis

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
When I toyed with Sefris, one thing that seemed good to me were big cycling creatures like Timeless Dragon, Eternal Dragon, Angel of the Ruins, Curator of Mysteries, and Archfiend of Ifnir. These all trigger Sefris for a Venture while making for reasonable reanimation targets when you complete a dungeon They're all also pretty good hits off of the last chapter of Dungeon of the Mad Mage in terms of mana value for your buck. I almost wonder if they're good enough to go full cycling with Sefris, since Astral Slide and Astral Drift play so well with the EtB Venturers? But at any rate, I definitely think at least a few of them seem worth.
That's an interesting idea and something to consider. Archfiend of Ifnir and Eternal Dragon were on my long lists because of the Sefris triggers, but I cut them because I didn't have enough discard/cycling synergy for Archfiend, and Eternal Dragon is just not good enough except (perhaps) in a more cycling oriented deck. How many cycling cards would we need to play before Drift/Slide? I think we can easily move some lands around to make room for cycling lands, so the threshold could be within reach...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

A similar angle you might consider (read: I am considering) is creatures like Veilborn Ghoul that return to your hand easily plus discard outlets. Also, dredge. The "from anywhere" part of the ability leaves a lot of options, and having discard outlets makes it easier to dump big fatties that don't have cycling into the grave for reanimation.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sinis

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
A similar angle you might consider (read: I am considering) is creatures like Veilborn Ghoul that return to your hand easily plus discard outlets. Also, dredge. The "from anywhere" part of the ability leaves a lot of options, and having discard outlets makes it easier to dump big fatties that don't have cycling into the grave for reanimation.
My long-list had Faerie Macabre, but I didn't really follow down the line of things I might grind out with Phyrexian Reclamation, etc.

Any suggestions other than Veilborn Ghoul and Gutterbones? I'm already running Master of Death, but I'm not sure if they're good, and the 3-slot is crowded...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
Any suggestions other than Veilborn Ghoul and Gutterbones? I'm already running Master of Death, but I'm not sure if they're good, and the 3-slot is crowded...
It'd be interesting to try a build around the eidolon cycle. Focus on Buried Alive/Intuition with a ton of multicolor spells, some discard outlets, and some tutors to set it up. Could be cute, and not a bad engine. I love breathing life into old trash commons lol.

EDIT: actually I might just do that...brb.

EDIT EDIT: Just payed a soul-crushing 1.90 for three trash commons. Definitely doing it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”