[Deck] Mono G Devotion / Nykthos Green

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
CurdBros
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CurdBros » 4 years ago

This is the thread to discuss the Mono G Devotion, aka Nykthos Green, archetype in Modern. Green Devotion has seen many evolutions and changes over the course of its Modern run. Although most versions are based around the synergy between Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, green mana symbols, and fast Utopia Sprawl/Arbor Elf starts, Nykthos Green lists have tons of branching gameplans after that. Some lean towards land control with Plow Under and Primal Command. Others are more midrangey with Hornet Queen and Eternal Witness. Whichever game plan you choose, this is the thread for you. Here are two possible representative lists:

Mono G Devotion by Anthony Skrzypczak, 28th SCG Open Dallas, 10/21/2018
Approximate Total Cost:

Mono G Devotion by Westminster, 5-0 MTGO League, 03/22/2019
Approximate Total Cost:

What style of G Devotion are you playing? Where can the deck evolve next? Discuss below!

CurdBros

Hey All! Can't wait to get the discussion going here as well! Given some of the newest cards (Llanowar Tribe, Leyline of Abundance, etc.) it is an exciting future for Green Devotion!

Oakleaf
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Oakleaf » 4 years ago

I haven't played the deck in quite a while What's the general consensus on builds running genesis wave?

audr3y

Post by audr3y » 4 years ago

Hi guys, i'm been tinkering with genesis wave for a while now. The old MTGsalvation forums are a little confusing and tbh, i think we should split MonoG devotion into it's subtypes! However, i could use help with especially the sideboard, as I find my self stuck in the wrong mindset (used to playing Valakut/tron). Here's the decklist WITHOUT sideboard:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

I'm considering cards like Alpine Moon, Veil of Summer, Vexing Shusher and Fracturing Gust, maybe even a Weathered Storm or two. Let me here your thoughts!

CurdBros

What a interesting idea. Purphoros and Hermit togeryhr.

I've been off Wave for a short period only because there were so many Forces running around where I play. Fortunately Veil of Summer may help a little on this front for us.

I've been going back and forth between Salvations, here, and the Discord; but with the announcement that we are heading back to Theros; I plan on updating both Forums.

CurdBros

Yorov seems great at least for Stompy builds...not quite the Devotion staple I was hoping for...but good. Here's hoping for Theros to have some amazing Devotion cards.

CurdBros

Hey all! So I've been having really positive results with both Castle Garenbrig and Once Upon a Time. They feel like they were made for us. Between these two, Karn TGC, and Llanowar Tribe...we've got everything we need to be a tier deck. I imagine we may get another few tools in the Return to Theros set coming up...but the last year worth of sets have pushed this archetype finally to where we can compete with Tron. We may be a hair less consistent than Tron; but we can go bigger and we are more resilient.

CurdBros

Sam Black wrote an article today discussing literally exactly what we've been talking about. I can't post the entire article (as it is in the Premium section) but I will post his decklist as (a) it is a Leyline deck and I know many have been interested in trying such a deck and (b)

I was really happy to see his list as it is quite similar to the one I've been playing.
1. We both play a mana package (his is Elf, Elf, Nissa WSTW where ours is Arbor Elf, Utopia Sprawl, Garruk)
2. We both play full sets of Once Upon a Time and Burning-Tree Emissary (now incredible with Once Upon a Time).
3. We both play Voracious Hydra, Walking Ballista, and Karn as scalable win-cons

He brings up a LOT of points we've discussed in this thread including:

1. How we are the most explosive deck in the format.
2. Scalable tools are our best options (and how important scalability is in Devotion in particular)
3. How we are harder to deal with when we have a split of creatures/non-creatures (where possible)

I was extremely impressed with his knowledge of the deep understanding of how Devotion works and how best to exploit what we do best (while mitigating the issues with playing Devotion).

I honestly don't know if Leyline is superior (I think Arbor Elf, Utopia Sprawl, and Abundant Growth may be just as strong as Leyline, Llanowar Elf, Noble Heirarch in terms of developing 4-mana by turn 2). Having said this, Once Upon a Time does not hit Utopia Sprawl (where it does hit Hierarch) and Leyline is a Mana-Sink...so there could be something there. I have been happy with the Arbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl Package; but I will absolutely test Leyline.

One thing I had not tested nearly enough it seems is Vivien, Arkbow Ranger. I assumed it was not strong enough initially, but Sam says that it is far stronger in play than in theory. They cost me a pretty penny online (stupid Pioneer! :) ) but I will try them out as well and report.

It is a really exciting time for Green Devotion! We are returning to Theros, we've received multiple great cards in the last year, and we are getting written about!

CurdBros

Here is his list

CurdBros

So....not much yet from the new set. I was sure returning to Theros would be good for us too :(

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

What are people playing currently for lists? I wanna pick up some games on MTGO again so I figured Id see if anyone has any solid lists
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

CurdBros

Post by CurdBros » 3 years ago

Hey all! I will be updating the primer here shortly with updated lists. I'm not gonna go too far back in time (as some of us have been playing devotion for 5+ years) but will show an arbor elf variety, leyline variety, and a T&N deck just so the "big three" engines are provided. The rest will break down win cons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Big Mana”