Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Next match is up, and it's a fun one! I also made a discussion video with my good friend BaileeCakes about the companion errata over on his channel, which you can find via an announcement vid on my channel, so you should check those out too. There's a not-so-secret easter egg in my announcement video too. :)
I watched your video and I'm watching the BaileeCakes/Red_Faced_Menace vid right now.

But I can't figure out what the secret easter egg is. Is it the UR Twin deck above? Are you play testing it for some reason?
Yeah. I play Kiki sometimes in paper, so I'm just throwing out another "unban twin" meme sort of, since I didn't just want a vid with nothing but me talking haha. Though I do personally think Twin should be unbanned. Maybe I can play some UR Kiki on the channel sometime. :)
I went from hating the Twin ban when it happened, to being okay with it for a while. It felt like such a shock at the time! Many types of decks that normally had trouble with Twin, some of which I like to play, suddenly felt more fun to play. But at least within a year ago, I feel like Twin could be unbanned. Modern's power level has increased. Modern is not the same as in 2018 or 2017. I don't even particularly think Twin would be top 3, but maybe I'm wrong. Some people think that with T3feri and Veil, Twin will be too good. Twin already did play Dispel at one time and I'll admit that was annoying. But it wasn't backbreaking, although I will tell you something funny.

When people were talking about what to potentially ban in Twin, 1 guy said Dispel. I just found that so funny, not sure if you'll share in my laughs. :grin:
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

Post by TheAnnihilator » 3 years ago

I personally think that Twin is not the egregious card if it IS broken with T3feri or Veil, but rather the stupid 2019 designs. :crazy: But I'll save the rest of that discussion for the State-of-Modern thread, as it has nothing to do with Amulet. And yeah, banning Dispel is funny haha. I'm sort of curious to hear his thoughts, because I don't think it's that terribly unreasonable. Dispel is another of those cards whose sole purpose is to stop your opponent's interaction.

Match 5 is up btw.

TheAnnihilator

Just played in FNM in person (!!! Finally!) and got 2nd place with Titan. :) went 2-1, winning vs Yorion Scapeshift and Bant Spirits 2-0, and losing to Yorion cat combo 0-2 (game one he curved T3f+bounce Dryad into Felidar->reset T3f->bounce Dryad into T5 combo, game two he curved T3 Ashiok into T5 combo).

Wow playing in paper is so different than online tho. I'm pretty sure I missed like 1000 Field of the Dead triggers. xD

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Just played in FNM in person (!!! Finally!) and got 2nd place with Titan. :) went 2-1, winning vs Yorion Scapeshift and Bant Spirits 2-0, and losing to Yorion cat combo 0-2 (game one he curved T3f+bounce Dryad into Felidar->reset T3f->bounce Dryad into T5 combo, game two he curved T3 Ashiok into T5 combo).

Wow playing in paper is so different than online tho. I'm pretty sure I missed like 1000 Field of the Dead triggers. xD
Whaaaat? You're lucky. Just be very careful. I know in California, it's gonna take a while. I am down to play right now, with some safety precautions, but others aren't.

That's pretty sweet though, no doubt. I don't know if I asked, but what state are you from?
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago

Whaaaat? You're lucky. Just be very careful. I know in California, it's gonna take a while. I am down to play right now, with some safety precautions, but others aren't.

That's pretty sweet though, no doubt. I don't know if I asked, but what state are you from?

I was masked and didn't shake hands or cut my opponents' decks. I'm from Kentucky. And, oddly, I prefer playing Amulet online haha. Maybe I'll settle back into playing it in paper in time, but MODO does all of the trigger automatically, displays your whole sorted deck when searching and sideboarding, and displays your hand and the field all at once (as opposed to having to look back and forth from hand to field).

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago

I was masked and didn't shake hands or cut my opponents' decks. I'm from Kentucky. And, oddly, I prefer playing Amulet online haha. Maybe I'll settle back into playing it in paper in time, but MODO does all of the trigger automatically, displays your whole sorted deck when searching and sideboarding, and displays your hand and the field all at once (as opposed to having to look back and forth from hand to field).
Wow, no cutting the opponent's deck? You're lucky that you get to play in paper. I've been waiting for what seems like forever. Funny enough, I've realized that my life is more than just Magic, lol. I would be willing to take my chances, even with precautions, just to play again.

I know Modo makes some of those things easier. But I know there can be misclicks too that would never happen in real life. I guess it's a trade off. Yorion Copy Cat seems like a sweet deck! I saw Corey Baumeister top 8 with that at a few online streamed events. :)

*To be fair, I can see some communities being more lax than others. California just has too many people, going in and out of all types of places. So I realize that we have to be tougher on coming back from the quarantine - I hear that a 2nd wave of Covid-19 is on the horizon. Be safe please.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

Yeah, no cutting because that would require interacting with their cards (which they've obviously touched lol). I know about the second wave, but the whole point of places opening up is to start to slowly expose younger people to the virus and begin building immunity. Not that I want to be a guinea pig, lol, so ofc I'm being as careful as possible. But I'm ready for life to start moving back towards normal again. You can't shut down the economy forever, virus or no virus. *shrug*

If you're itching to play in paper, we could see about Skyping some irl modern matches. Or perhaps I can tune you in (audio wise) via Skype and we can duel on MTGO but still be able to, you know, actually talk to each other. XD

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

That is true. We do need some exposure to the virus to be able to build up immunity. I'm mostly scared of getting family members sick. But it is kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I like your attitude here - to go out slowly and take all of the precautions that you can.

I'll think about Skype, but I will say that I tried it 8 years ago after buying a new Skype headset (I think it was) to talk to my brother in Germany. It didn't work well, so I really gave up on Skype after that. I don't have MTGO either. The only thing that made me consider super strongly to join MTGO was Vintage or Holiday Cube, but when I see veterans still misclick, it scares me even more from playing it. My reason all of this time is that I don't want to get addicted to playing online - I'm already too addicted in person.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

Next league is started!

Edit: Match 2 is up as well.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Match 3!
That was a sweet one! I have to play against Death and Taxes quite often, but he doesn't have Stoneforge Mystic and freaking Sword of Feast and Famine. :\

I liked watching it since that's a matchup I play against quite often. It was cool to see how and what you did. Good game play!
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Match 3!
That was a sweet one! I have to play against Death and Taxes quite often, but he doesn't have Stoneforge Mystic and freaking Sword of Feast and Famine. :\

I liked watching it since that's a matchup I play against quite often. It was cool to see how and what you did. Good game play!
Thanks! That's the kind of match that I look back and wonder how in the world I did it. XD

TheAnnihilator

Last league complete, new league started!

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Last league complete, new league started!
That was a rough Round 2. I was excited to see BUG Pile because Gabriel Nassif went 10-0 to win a Challenge on Saturday. But then he played Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, so it was not Nassif's list. He just had too many answers. There literally didn't seem like there was anything you could have done.

I was a bit of a traitor on Friday and then Sunday, playing GR Planebound Accomplice at FNM and Hollow Herald at Sunday mtg. I did pretty good with Accomplice at 4-1, beating the only 4-0 in Round 5, but only 1-2 with Hollow Herald. I figured I would have plenty of chances to play Amulet, lol.

Ended up rushing out to play MNM. Only 4 players, lol, so round robin.

Round 1 vs. Infect. In game 1, we both mull to 5. My hand is functional. Hers doesn't play a creature after turn 1 Noble Hierarch. In the next game, I have to chump block a Glistener Elf with Rancor with STS and Dryad, but pumps keep her creature alive. I get out Prime Time, but with no Dryad (I would have lost had I not blocked last turn), it just sets up a next turn. I immediately Ghost Quarter her Inkmoth Nexus in case that was another route to victory. But she plays Distortion Strike, so I can't chump block now. In the next game, it is similar to this same situation, as she does Distortion Strike on the Glistener Elf with Rancor, so I can't block with Prime Time or Zomberinos. I do Force of Vigor on Rancor, but she responds with Blossoming Defense and that's lethal, making up for the 2 that she lost from Rancor. 1-2.

Round 2 vs. Humans. In the first game, he explodes, but I am able to get a turn 4 Prime Time after Dryad to wipe out creatures and stabilize at 4 life. There was a point where he had 1 card left and I was gonna scoop if it was Reflector Mage for Dryad, but it wasn't. Got there! In the next game, he has turn 1 Champion of the Parish again, which is needed to beat us. But I end up getting Prime Time and then getting so many Valakut triggers. When I was at 12, I chump blocked a 6/6 Champion of the Parish with 1 of 2 Dryad of Ilysian Groves after it and a Mantis Rider attacked. I think the correct play was to just go to 3 since I had all the answers next turn. But he could have topdecked a Mantis Rider if next turn was not lethal. I forgot if it was. I just did it since he didn't have Reflector Mage mana and didn't seem to have a Dismember either. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. GB Yawgmoth. In the first game, I am on the play and turn 4 Prime Time after turn 3 Dryad. I wipe out Yawgmoth and his Wall of Roots and he can't come back from that. In the next game, I mull to 5, but draw STS on turn 1 to do a turn 2 Dryad of Ilysian Grove and then drew Valakut on turn 3 when I was gonna do Prime Time. So I STS it in after playing 2 lands and then the triggers are a plenty. He missed a land drop on turn 2 and there was no coming back from that. 2-0.

I go 2-1 wit Amulet. I'm not gonna lie, when I saw Humans playing against GB Yawgmoth, I was a bit worried. Humans has caused problems for me in the past, and that's with 3 Engineered Explosives. But sometimes it just depends on your draws, lol.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

Yeah, I'd say Humans and Infect are bad matchups. I can't tell you how often I've been in a great position vs Humans only to be Meddling Mage'd or Reflector Mage'd out of the game, even with EE and Dismember.

Never played against BG Yawg, but I have to imagine it's similar to playing vs Finks combo in that you win most every game except the ones where they naturally run hot into the combo.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Infect is literally my nightmare matchup in Modern. No matter what deck I play, I get stomped by Infect. I would estimate that I've won around 10% of my matches against Infect since Modern started. The deck I've done the 2nd worst against was Twin at probably around 50% overall. It's to the point where I'm kind of like if I face Infect, then I lose. I will play my best and SB the best, but I can't justify putting more than 2 Dismember in the board for Infect (Beast Within and Force of Vigors come in as well, but specifically for Infect). I kind of wish I was not the Karn, the Great Creator version, but then a turn 2 Walking Ballista did kill an Elf on turn 2 in the last game, lol.

You're right about BG Yawg. But they can find the combo very easily because of Chord and Evolution, along with putting on some early pressure. They kill a STS easily with -1/-1 counters from Yawg, but I've noticed in my play experience, the 2/4 has been trouble for them. I've found the matchup to be close to 55% for Amulet, but that's also too close a matchup to want to face all that often. (probably lose 2 out of every 5 matches against them in practice)

*For some reference, with Grishoalbrand, I ended at 12-33 vs. Infect. Grishoalbrand was a deck where I finished at an around 68% win percentage. (I can't remember the exact percentage off-hand, but I could look it up) The only Modern decks that I've had a higher win percentage with were UR Eldrazi and GGT Dredge (unfortunately with Hogaak, I was only at around 68%, lol).
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

Infect had never really been a Kryptonite matchup for me until I moved to Amulet. Before then, everything I've played has been highly interactive, ranging from Jeskai Control to Esper to Twin mainly. I played a little of Abzan Company, and that deck really struggles against Blighted Agent, but it was never even close to my primary deck. But yeah, no matter how you slice it, UWx is gonna be just fine against Infect if you give it either Lightning Bolt/Lightning Helix or Fatal Push/Blessed Alliance/Kaya'a Guile. The closest I ever got to a bad matchup was UW Miracles, and even then a flipped Terminus at any point just ends the game haha.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
Infect had never really been a Kryptonite matchup for me until I moved to Amulet. Before then, everything I've played has been highly interactive, ranging from Jeskai Control to Esper to Twin mainly. I played a little of Abzan Company, and that deck really struggles against Blighted Agent, but it was never even close to my primary deck. But yeah, no matter how you slice it, UWx is gonna be just fine against Infect if you give it either Lightning Bolt/Lightning Helix or Fatal Push/Blessed Alliance/Kaya'a Guile. The closest I ever got to a bad matchup was UW Miracles, and even then a flipped Terminus at any point just ends the game haha.
Yeah, those decks have a good game vs. Infect. Even just 2 removal spells often can really slow them down. Infect doesn't have the same stigma for those who have played these types of decks or even BGx and Shadow type decks. As for everyone else... :poop:

These are the decks I've played the most in Modern - Bogles 1 year, Titanshift 1 year 3 months, Grishoalbrand 1 year, Amulet 1 year, Storm 6 months, RUG Scapeshift 5 months (that didn't have a bad matchup, but I didn't see Infect barely ever then; this was at the height of Twin). Whenever there's a new combo deck in Modern, I usually try that as well. Yep, all of the bad combo decks, Footsteps Hulk, Narset Cannon, Jeskai Ascendancy, Cheerios, and so many more. Actually the only reason I try other decks is to make sure I don't lose skills in those types of decks, but I will admit that I hardly ever play Control anymore (previously played it for 8 years straight until Modern started and I didn't deem it Tier 1). Sometimes I enjoy other types of decks like Elementals, but mostly it is for the "combo" aspect of the deck.

I would say that the only Control deck I like playing right now is Uroza, just UG with Red for Galvanic Blasts. No Wrenn and Six.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

So you're not a Bant Snow fan?

Last match of this league is up now btw.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
So you're not a Bant Snow fan?

Last match of this league is up now btw.
Not at all. The mana base looks atrocious and I don't trust myself to have turn 1 Arcum's Astrolabe every game.

Checked it out. That was some real Magic. It's tough beating a Bant Snow draw like that, especially with a good player. I feel like Bant Snow is the current best deck.

Played in a 10 person FNM tonight. Went 3-1 for 1st place.

Round 1 vs. Hardened Scales. Don't laugh. These were fairly close games. I go off on turn 3 on the play in Game 1. In the next game, I lose to Inkmoth Nexus on turn 3. The final game is super close. I used 2 Force of Vigor, got 2 Karn, the Great Creator out and they died, used Reclamation Sage, EE for 2, and drew Titan right on the turn that mattered before I died to Ravager shenanigans. People forget how good that card is. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. 8 Rack. The first game is pretty annoying. I know what I'm up against. I keep a fairly medium hand, but don't draw any acceleration, so it's slow. I have him on the ropes around turn 4, but he draws 2nd Smallpox, Liliana of the Veil, Ensnaring Bridge, and then Liliana of the Veil. He didn't need that last one. Those 3 cards left me in the dust. In the next game, his Bob blocked a Sakura-Tribe Scout, which confused the heck out of me. I almost didn't even attack to bluff having a land to put into play. It turns out he doesn't know Modern well and told me that he thought I'd try to put damage on him fast. He definitely should have 100% not blocked with Bob. I end up winning in the mid game after he doesn't do a 2nd Smallpox, I draw an untapped land to land Titan, and he can't recover after that. In the last game, he misses 2 land drops and is stuck on 1. He draws and play Torpor Orb before I Titan, but he doesn't have follow up and I Pact for a 2nd Dryad and swing him to death. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. Jeskai. Super long game, but I get a Karn to get a Walking Ballista for 3, leaving 4 mana up for a possible Mana Leak in his last card or pumping the Ballista. It can kill his Queller to get back Summoner's Pact. He goes for PtE. I kill Queller and keep The Royal Scions off ultimate. I end up squeaking this one out in the end. The next game, I have a fairly gassy hand and he doesn't have much but T3feri into Supreme Verdict. I made a huge mistake too, taking bounceland over Castle Garenbrig, then drew another bounceland and had to discard a land, lol. :P After that, just double Bolt for Dryad and a Path for Titan while I search up many Titans. I played this one pretty poorly as well, doing my 3rd Summoner's Pact for Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, then not casting it because I had better things to do. Got a lot of Zombies in this one. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Red Prowess. He rolls a 12. He goes turn 1 dude into turn 2 Runaway Steam-Kin. I think, whew, no Kiln Fiend cuz I'd be dead. But he goes off on turn 3, casting 2 Light up the Stage, 2 Lava Dart, Manamorphose, some direct damage, and then Bedlam Reveler. I got thoroughly wrecked and didn't draw Amulet to speed up my hand. In the next game, I kept a fairly loose one against a deck that SBs Blood Moon. Radiant Fountain, Simic Growth Chamber, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, Dryad of Ilysian Grove, 2 Ancient Stirrings, and Summoner's Pact (for Rec Sage if needed). On turn 3, I am only able to choose one. I do Dryad because if I get Mooned, I need Forest to cast him. I never draw a Forest this game and Blood Moon #2 hits and then more. 0-2.

I was the only 3-0 going into round 4, so it made sense I'd get 1st on tiebreakers. Pretty nice evening, but I could have played better in Round 4 and Round 3 for sure. I'm so used to playing poorly in Round 1 and then tightening up, but it was different this time.

*BTW if you're really bored, I played on camera at cardforgegaming on twitchtv. I was on in rounds 2 and 3. Don't mind me pointing at the draws that my opponent had in Game 1. My friend came over and was talking %$#% (jokingly of course, but still) to me for losing and I had to tell him that I can't beat 2 Smallpox with most decks and that Lily into Bridge into Lily got me.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

Of course I'm watching the vod. :)

You are such a badass at the tables!

In game 2 against the 8-Rack opp, I think you should have led on Stirrings, since T1 Scout plays into removal, Pox, and obviously discard on the Stirrings. You also dodged him topdecking a 3rd land for that Bridge lol.

In game 3, you also could've played out the Sage on the turn you casted Stirrings for Valakut as a way to kill the Rack, since bridge wouldn't matter when he was 2 lands away and you had Valakut in play. Playing it out there plays around potential smallpox. The only thing it's bad to is some combination of discard, Ravens crime, and thoughtseize, which he would've played before the T1 Raven's Crime and before playing out The Rack and Sheieking Affliction (he didn't, so I'd get the read on no discard). Obviously there's no way he pitches a land to retrace Ravens Crime there.

I feel like there were many different lines the Jeskai player could've taken game 1 that would've led to a better outcome for them, but you were the one playing tighter and more correctly. Like playing Ballista for 3 was great, I know it was to play around Leak.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago

In game 2 against the 8-Rack opp, I think you should have led on Stirrings, since T1 Scout plays into removal, Pox, and obviously discard on the Stirrings. You also dodged him topdecking a 3rd land for that Bridge lol.

In game 3, you also could've played out the Sage on the turn you casted Stirrings for Valakut as a way to kill the Rack, since bridge wouldn't matter when he was 2 lands away and you had Valakut in play. Playing it out there plays around potential smallpox. The only thing it's bad to is some combination of discard, Ravens crime, and thoughtseize, which he would've played before the T1 Raven's Crime and before playing out The Rack and Shrieking Affliction (he didn't, so I'd get the read on no discard). Obviously there's no way he pitches a land to retrace Ravens Crime there.

I feel like there were many different lines the Jeskai player could've taken game 1 that would've led to a better outcome for them, but you were the one playing tighter and more correctly. Like playing Ballista for 3 was great, I know it was to play around Leak.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, after I watched the video, I realized that my opponent took the line of slowing me down with Smallpox, but then got stuck on 2 lands and 3 mana spells for the rest of the game. In the game, it took me a bit to see that, although I assumed he had either a Bridge or Lily in hand that he couldn't play at the time. I didn't think that he had 3 of such things. I did realize at the time that he got badly mana screwed in the 3rd game, which was obvious, him missing land drop 2 for 3 or 4 turns.

I do agree that playing Stirrings is the less riskier line. Quite often, I make a mistake of playing differently against different people. So my thought process was this - he has more discard than Fatal Push and he may have taken out Fatal Pushes vs. me (since I probably should have taken out STS). I felt like even if he had Push and discard, he'd play discard because he was too new to Modern to see STS as a serious threat. I guess nowadays, people are going to realize that the card is a threat in a high land count, ramp deck, so that was dumb reasoning. I think I asked him if he sided out Fatal Push and he said yes. It is definitely a bad type of thinking though and I'll probably try to just make the right play next time. I think in Game 3, yeah I could have definitely gotten on board. I just told myself that I'm not playing that Rec Sage no matter what and I got tunnel visioned.

Yeah, there were a lot of lines the Jeskai player could have done differently. My friends from the FNMs also watched and mentioned that. He basically said that he got tunnel visioned as well and was not thinking about equipping the Queller with Batterskull, which is the biggest mistake my friends said he made. I thought the turn where he SfM in the SoFaF instead of Batterskull, then put SoFaF on the Germ the next turn cost him extra damage and was not that much riskier. Yeah, I played the Ballista to play around Mana Leak, which I didn't know if he had. I also was playing around Logic Knot for 4, which he had actually played Logic Knot on me last week, so I know he has it. He changes his decks around though each week, probably to keep people guessing. Despite the mistakes that he made in our match, he actually usually plays very well. He does have trouble coming to decisions quickly, which makes a match sometimes a time issue. I was also considering that in game 1, but I wasn't out yet, so I didn't concede. My draws saved me. He ended 4-1 last week and 3-1 this week, only losing to me on GR Planebound Accomplice last week and Amulet this week. He may have been nervous on camera, which I didn't think about, since I used to be on camera a lot in the past when I was actually a good player, lol.
Last edited by FoodChainGoblins 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago

In game 3, you also could've played out the Sage on the turn you casted Stirrings for Valakut as a way to kill the Rack, since bridge wouldn't matter when he was 2 lands away and you had Valakut in play. Playing it out there plays around potential smallpox. The only thing it's bad to is some combination of discard, Ravens crime, and thoughtseize, which he would've played before the T1 Raven's Crime and before playing out The Rack and Sheieking Affliction (he didn't, so I'd get the read on no discard). Obviously there's no way he pitches a land to retrace Ravens Crime there.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, after I watched the video, I realized that my opponent took the line of slowing me down with Smallpox, but then got stuck on 2 lands and 3 mana spells for the rest of the game. In the game, it took me a bit to see that, although I assumed he had either a Bridge or Lily in hand that he couldn't play at the time. I didn't think that he had 3 of such things. I did realize at the time that he got badly mana screwed in the 3rd game, which was obvious, him missing land drop 2 for 3 or 4 turns.

I do agree that playing Stirrings is the less riskier line. Quite often, I make a mistake of playing differently against different people. So my thought process was this - he has more discard than Fatal Push and he may have taken out Fatal Pushes vs. me (since I probably should have taken out STS). I felt like even if he had Push and discard, he'd play discard because he was too new to Modern to see STS as a serious threat. I guess nowadays, people are going to realize that the card is a threat in a high land count, ramp deck, so that was dumb reasoning. I think I asked him if he sided out Fatal Push and he said yes.
About the Stirrings play, I would've played out the Stirrings regardless because I value any bounceland higher than Scout, as +1 card is more relevant and there's a chance the Scout dies. Even knowing he sided out push, I would still rather dig for a bounceland instead, since there's no way for him to interact with it.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
About the Stirrings play, I would've played out the Stirrings regardless because I value any bounceland higher than Scout, as +1 card is more relevant and there's a chance the Scout dies. Even knowing he sided out push, I would still rather dig for a bounceland instead, since there's no way for him to interact with it.
I see. Yeah, maybe I got too tunnel visioned on wanting to ramp as soon as I could to get Titan on board before he would draw Thoughtseize. Bounceland is very good against him, as long as I have another land to sacrifice in play. I told him that. I told him that a lot of his deck is good vs. me, but the bouncelands I have are great against him. This match really made me miss the non Karn version that has 2 Obstinate Baloth in the side. I don't know why, but I always feel more comfortable with those. I guess Karn also provides some card advantage as well, so it's not complete downside.

I should say that I sided out 1 Amulet because I didn't know what else to side out in the Jeskai matchup. How does that feel?
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

TheAnnihilator

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
3 years ago
TheAnnihilator wrote:
3 years ago
I see. Yeah, maybe I got too tunnel visioned on wanting to ramp as soon as I could to get Titan on board before he would draw Thoughtseize. Bounceland is very good against him, as long as I have another land to sacrifice in play. I told him that. I told him that a lot of his deck is good vs. me, but the bouncelands I have are great against him. This match really made me miss the non Karn version that has 2 Obstinate Baloth in the side. I don't know why, but I always feel more comfortable with those. I guess Karn also provides some card advantage as well, so it's not complete downside.

I should say that I sided out 1 Amulet because I didn't know what else to side out in the Jeskai matchup. How does that feel?
Can I see your list? I can tell you how I'd side for the matchup overall. Amulet is pretty medium in the control MUs, so I could see siding one out for sure. How do you feel about boarding out a couple Scouts vs. Jeskai? They're weak to Bolts and they can't possibly cut all of the Bolts post board.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Big Mana”