[Deck] Blue Moon / Izzet Breach

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread and/or writing a primer, PM the moderator team.
This is the thread to discuss the Blue Moon and Izzet Breach archetypes in Modern.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

cfusionpm
With that on the stack...

Post by cfusionpm » 4 years ago

If I played as much as I used to for this archetype, I would happily take it over. As it stands though, I think this is extremely poorly positioned. The answers are not as effective as we'd like for the colors available, Blood Moon ain't what it used to be, and each type of win-con presents several problems or shortcomings.

The best time to take advantage of a deck like this is when Phoenix is/was dominating and people played against you expecting GY shenanigans and fast/recursive threats. When they instead start seeing Cryptic Commands and loads of protection, you know you're in for a good time.

Raw power level, speed, and resilience though, leaves a lot to be desired.

idSurge
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

This is where I'm at, and is actually all I've got left outside of some of the sideboard type cards in the Archetype/Colour Pair.

Its still plenty successful if you can correctly identify the meta, but mostly it lets me play the cards I want to play, in the play patterns I like to play, with one of the most beautiful land bases in the game. :p

UR Control UR

SanityLost

Post by SanityLost » 4 years ago

Nice list, idSurge! I am interested in trying out Blue Moon. I am wondering though whether it is viable in the current Modern meta. What are good and bad matchups for the deck? What is the strategy in these MUs?

Also, how do you think about adding PWs to the deck? I have seen Jace and Ral in some sideboards.

I only own 2 Tarns. What would you replace the missing two with?
Unban Mental Misstep.

idSurge
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by idSurge » 4 years ago

I actually think 3 Tarns is ideal. A 'better' mana base would be.

//Lands
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Polluted Delta
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Prismatic Vista
6 Island
1 Mountain
3 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
1 Fiery Islet - Flex
1 Colorless Utility Land

You could however go for a 2/2 Scalding/Prismatic split, and 2 of any Blue Fetch.

The actual win conditions are always variable for us, from Kiki-Mite, to Breach, to Walkers to Drakes. We do not protect Walkers well imo, as we do not have a board presence that is worth much, and none of our Walkers run away with a game anyway. When we get our own Teferi, or Wrenn, I'll revisit that.

As to the match ups? Again, not amazing. This deck has been Tier 2 or 1.5 if we are generous for a reason.

I've had success with the archetype in the past, but its not like the deck is ever well positioned, it is just a deck that can see success if you understand the key parts of each match.
UR Control UR

SanityLost

I have run Blue Moon to a fairly acceptable success at last week's FNM. If you are interested, you can find the list here (I would appreciate every form of feedback on this one, pls consider that the SB is tailored to my local meta): https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2176918#paper

However, my main concern is the Izzet Breach list I am currently tuning and planing to play this week since I want to try out all the Blue Moon strategies there are. What do you guys think about this list? Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? One neat thing I can think of now is that FoN enables you to Breach at the end of opp's turn with counter backup. Looking forward to your thoughts!

PS: I do not own 4 Tarns, so I currently run an inferior manabase. But it works for me.
Unban Mental Misstep.

BloodyRabbit

Post by BloodyRabbit » 4 years ago

Do you remember when this archetype was bad?

I don't.

Outstanding performance at local's, 5-0'ing the metagame. Beat Jund Shadow (2-1), RG Titanshift (2-1), Humans (2-1), Mardu Burn (2-0), Lantern (2-1).

The deck plays the same way as the old "Pyro-Thing" lists from the past, but ditching the "half of the time dead" Ancestral Vision and the fleeble Young Peezy to run a more powerful card: Seasoned Pyromancer. One of the issues in this deck has always been having too many dead cards against certain archetypes. The looting provided by mancers is extra useful at cycling cards in matchups such as Humans.

We may have to add back Field of Ruin in the list, but in the tests against Tron and Eldrazi Tron I had little trouble in playing the permission game (thanks to early threats and Remand + Force + Rejections + Cryptic as top end).

It has been wonderful till now.

SanityLost

[mention]BloodyRabbit[/mention] Nice Results, man! And fine list, too. Is there a reason for not playing Blood Moon, especially with meta decks like Tron around? Have you considered The Royal Scions, yet?
Unban Mental Misstep.

BloodyRabbit

Post by BloodyRabbit » 4 years ago

SanityLost wrote:
4 years ago
BloodyRabbit Nice Results, man! And fine list, too. Is there a reason for not playing Blood Moon, especially with meta decks like Tron around? Have you considered The Royal Scions, yet?
It doesn't play Blood Moon for the same reasons this list never played Moon. It wants to deploy creatures and out tempoing the opponent.

The Royal Scions don' Play into this strategy as well.

TheAnnihilator

Post by TheAnnihilator » 3 years ago

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I've started a league with Izzet Kiki on my youtube channel. I looked for a dedicated Kiki thread and couldn't find one, so hopefully here will work just fine. I can remove and repost elsewhere if necessary, though.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

I was actually debating playing the Through the Breach version of the deck, as I have basically most of the parts I'd need. Is there much of a difference between how good the Kiki vs breach version are?

thanks for the video though @TheAnnihilator

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Control”