[Deck] Ponza / RGx Land Destruction

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread and/or writing a primer, PM the moderator team.
This is the thread to discuss the Ponza / RGx Land Destruction archetype in Modern.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

robertleva
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

Here's what I'm currently running. I'd like to say that Wrenn and Six has been an absolute all star for me. It fills in when you can't play a 3cc spell on Turn 2. You never miss a land drop with the +1 and the -1 is always useful. I have even won off ult or the threat of the incoming ult many times. The +1 is also neat with the fetchable Dryad Arbor
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Obosh, the Preypiercer could be a good companion for us. Most of our threats are odd cmc.. had to give up titan, but Stormbreath doing 8 with each swing would be intense.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

upon asking at the rules section of mtgs. Lightning bolt would deal 6 damage if Obosh is in play. I would certainly add some bolts for some reach and removal, then decide which creatures. My deck already used Glorybringer, so that's probably going to stay. Good thing Klothys, God of Destiny is also 3 cmc, I could keep her in as well. The only hard to thing to decide is if going to have an Obosh in the main or only one in the side?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

First paper FNM in months. 17 players. I try out Obosh GR Planebound Accomplice/Lukka.

Round 1 vs. UR Restore Balance. I had a solid start. Got my Klothys Remanded, but played other stuff. He got turn 3 As Foretold, but didn't immediately cast Ancestral Vision. Got it the next turn, then Greater Gargadon, then Crash of Rhinos 2 turns in a row. Klothys had him pretty low, but he got there in time, as I had Bolt in hand with him at 4 life. In the next game, I Beast Within a pair of As Foretolds, but the damage is done. The Beasts crash in while I Klothys him all the way low. I eventually just only draw lands, 1 Arbor Elf, and 1 Utopia Sprawl. Klothys is not enough as he finally finds something. 0-2.

Round 2 vs. Bant Snow. The first game is pretty close, despite a turn 2 Klothys and gas after that. We both mulled to 6. In the next game, Klothys does a lot of work again. He can't Force of Negation it and after he tucked and Arbor Elves killed Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, I get a 2nd Klothys that resolves. He drew pretty poorly as well. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Amulet. My Tron buddy playing my Amulet deck. I let him borrow it so we could play our first paper tournament in months. In the first game, his hand is average and I have the turn 4 Planebound Accomplice/Lukka, Coppercoat into Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. GGs. Then in the next game, I turn 2 Magus of the Moon. He plays a Dryad of the Ilysian Grove right after that, so his lands have all types. But he only draws lands this game. Magus prevented some 8 Zombies as I didn't draw too well either. Eventually he finds a Titan, but with no Amulet and Magus still in play, I am able to swing past the Titan and Dryad for exact lethal (had Arbor Elf and Seasoned Pyromancer with a 1/1 Elemental by then). He drew SO many lands. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Jeskai. My hand was just so gassy. Being on the draw made it tougher because I got a bunch of stuff countered or destroyed. Eventually resolved a late game Seasoned Pyromancer and got there with it. In the next game, it is similar. We have a sequence where he goes to (can't remember right now) my Seasoned Pyromancer, but I respond with Stomp from Bonecrusher Giant. He does Path to Exile on it, fizzling the Giant. But this was on his EoT, so I untap and play Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast and ride this sweet card to victory. 2-0.

Round 5 vs. UW Miracles. In the first game, a Magus of the Moon makes things rough. He recovers, but it is not enough, as a midgame Klothys makes sure it's easy. I know he has Cryptic Command in hand and he goes for some EoT life gain, leaving up 3 mana with Cryptic Command and something unknown in hand. I have 2 cards after playing a land. I respond to the life gain with 2 Bolts and it's over. In the next game, he does a Terminus when he is dead on board. He's at 4 life, but will have 5 useable mana now that Magus of the Moon is gone. I do Beast Within on my own Seasoned Pyromancer so it turns off Klothys as a creature. So Klothys doesn't get Terminus'd. I have Pyro in the yard too. So with him now at 2 and passing the turn, I can exile Seasoned Pyromancer and also get a Klothys trigger on my 1st main phase. So he's dead in 2 ways, but he scooped. Must not have had an answer to either. He didn't even wait for me to exile Pyro for two 1/1 Elementals. 2-0.

I finish 4-1. I was paired up vs. Jeskai and UW Miracles, so they probably got a higher place than me, but the Miracles was the last undefeated until I beat him in the last round. Fun day. Drew really well. I kept drawing and playing turn 2 Klothys. Plenty of mulls, but I think my opponents mulled nearly as often.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@FoodChainGoblins

*applause

so glad to see my favorite deck being played! Klothys is indeed a strong addition to the deck as well.

a few questions:

1. Did you use Obosh in any of the games?

2. Was Lukka useful even if you did not do the emrakul combo?

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
FoodChainGoblins

*applause

so glad to see my favorite deck being played! Klothys is indeed a strong addition to the deck as well.

a few questions:

1. Did you use Obosh in any of the games?

2. Was Lukka useful even if you did not do the emrakul combo?
I feel like kind of a traitor since I've been talking about Amulet a lot with my other buddy here. But I felt like I can play Amulet any time and I bought those Planebound Accomplice and Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast during the quarantine for a reason, lol.

I made some serious mistakes, as expected after a lot of time off. In 3 of my matches, I forgot to SHOW Obosh, the Preypiercer as my companion. In one of them it was my friend, so I immediately showed it after 1 card was played. (casual REL) Not a play mistake, but I put in Damping Sphere or Boil a few times, so I couldn't even use it in the SB games. I had to weigh the strength of D Sphere or having the Companion. Obosh was cast 3 times, died immediately in 2 and helped the clock go quicker in one of them (vs. Jeskai because he was out of cards).

2. Lukka actually was very useful. In my first match in game 2 vs. Bant Snow, I tried to side out some of the combo because I realized it wasn't that good vs. Path to Exile and countermagic. I sided out 1 Planebound Accomplice and 1 Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast. Later I realized that was very wrong. I should have just sided out 2 or all Planebound Accomplice. Planeswalkers are just too good against Blue, even at a high mana cost as long as I have other important spells to counter. He won me the game 2 vs. Jeskai and was key in getting countermagic out of my opponent's hands.

I may play this deck again tomorrow. It was much better than I thought. After that horrid showing in round 1 where I drew half the lands in my deck, I pretty much drew nearly the nuts the rest of the night! I'm either going to play this or Storm Herald Hollow One tomorrow. That seemed fun to watch when I was on quarantine as well. ;)
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the info. The fact that they are killing Obosh right away means he is a huge threat.

I don't have any Lukka, but now considering to buy a few since he was useful on your games.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
thanks for the info. The fact that they are killing Obosh right away means he is a huge threat.

I don't have any Lukka, but now considering to buy a few since he was useful on your games.
Yeah that's definitely true. I think I'd try BBE and Chandra, Torch and then try an Obosh deck. I shouldn't really give my opinion between them because I don't play these decks. I have watched them a bit on stream and tried to give advice.

Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast is just a really cool card in my opinion. When I saw the full art silly comic picture, I wanted them right away just to try to tilt my opponent with the silliness. Then I asked here what was people's opinion on it's price and it looks like it will stay around the same. The Standard bans were a big hit to it, as Jeskai Lukka was the best deck in Standard, but Lukka is still a great card. Casting it can be rough in Modern, but Arbor Elves and Utopia Sprawls can help with that.

After last night, I kind of want to do 2 Veil of Summer instead of just 1, but I'm not sure what to cut. It's probably my bias after facing 3 Blue decks (or 4 if you count UR Restore Balance) in 5 rounds.

Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I see you have all the power cards in there. Lukka and Seasoned Pyro give the deck gas. Klothy's is usually a 3-of, at competitive Ponza reddit threads, but she's just so good that going 4 is not a bad decision at all.

you can get the "companion token card", you put Obosh on top of it as you wait to summon him from the sideboard.
It could reduce the times you forget to announce having a companion. :)

companion token
SPOILER
Show
Hide
CompanionToken.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Midrange”