[Deck] Jund

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread and/or writing a primer, PM the moderator team.
This is the thread to discuss the Jund archetype in Modern.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

Is anyone playing Seasoned Pyromancer in their 60?
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

chaos021

Post by chaos021 » 4 years ago

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
4 years ago
Is anyone playing Seasoned Pyromancer in their 60?
I tried it. I'm not overly impressed with the card, but I don't think it's garbage either. I feel like it has a place in Jund for attacking certain kinds of decks.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

I got wrecked using Reid Duke's CFB list probably due to poor play and too many mulligans.

Round 1 vs. Goblins. He plays 3 Goblin Ringleader in 2 games, netting a single Frogtosser Banneret. I had a bit of discard and removal and found creatures late to win despite this string of poor luck by him. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Twiddle Storm. I mulligan twice. I keep on 4 land and 3 Liliana of the Veil and ship a Lily and a land to the bottom. I should have mulliganed to 4, but I'd had it. He combos me the turn after Lotus Field comes into play. In the next game, I have Inquisition of Kozilek, taking a draw spell. But he has Niv Mizzet, the Parun in hand and cast it the turn after Lotus Field. I have nothing for this and it goes off, despite me putting him at 3 life with double Bloodbraid Elf, Scooze, and Goyf in play. 0-2.

Round 3 vs. Grixis Shadow. I have 3 Liliana of the Veil after my first draw step, but he Temur Battle Rages me before I can cast the final one to stabilize. In the next game, I have a Plague Engineer, but literally draw all lands. He gets there sadly enough with the Plague Engineer after killing mine. 0-2.

Round 4 vs. Shamans. In the first game, he does turn 4 triple Rage-Forger Shaman (I discarded one, which Thunderkin Elemental got back, he cast one on turn 3 and turn 4). In the next game, he has similar shenanigans, but 2 Plague Engineer with some removal (oh, the deck draws removal?) end this one. In the final game, I decide to keep a stupid Bolt, 5 land, Bloodbraid Elf hand. I had sided out 1 Bloodbraid Elf. I draw 4 land and 2 Bloodbraid Elf and his multiple Rage-Forger Shaman and Judith hand kills me. 1-2.

I finish 1-3. I definitely should have mulled to 4 against Twiddle Storm. I kind of was hoping the 5 card hand would draw Thoughtseize or something. I also definitely should have mulliganed some 6 hands and a 7 card hand in the final round. I was just happy to draw Lightning Bolt in my opener, so I kept since I was tired of mulling. I had 19 land left in the deck (went down to 18 because of fetch) and 2 more Bloodbraid Elf with 32 other cards. The problem was that I did not draw the other 32 cards. It happens and I wish I had played better. I'm pretty sure I could have earned that 2-2.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

rcwraspy

Post by rcwraspy » 4 years ago

Nice, streamlined list. Couple questions.

1. Why only 2 Wrenn and Six? Because of the plays with Bob?
2. Why no Nurturing Peatland?

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

rcwraspy wrote:
4 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
This is the list I'm running:
Nice, streamlined list. Couple questions.

1. Why only 2 Wrenn and Six? Because of the plays with Bob?
2. Why no Nurturing Peatland?
With Bobs there is less room and since I can only have 1 Wrenn and a six out at a time I only run 2.

I have Field of Ruin in the place of utility land, but Nurturing Pearland may be better. The other thing is Bob provides card draw and life loss so I'm not sure if I need another card that does that. I never ran Horizon Canopy in Junk.

Did you guys see the list Reid posted? He has no Bobs or Collector Ouphes, and his sideboard has 4 Leylines of the void, 1 Kalitas, and 1 Nihil Spellbomb, which seems like overkill on GY hate after the ban announcement.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

ShockerNation

Post by ShockerNation » 4 years ago

I don't think there is a single best build of jund, but rather a common core with flex slots that fit the individual's preferences. I think seasnoned pyromancer is a fine card, as are tireless tracker, dark confidant, and even plague engineer in the main if you want. I have tried Duke's lists, as well as those of Sol Malka, and realized that they do not suit my style of play - which is much worse than theirs. I also prefer to play with cards I like, rather than "the best" card of the moment. With that written, I think dark confidant is still great and worth playing. Lastly, although I am playing 3 wrenn and six in the main, I believe a deck with none is still perfectly acceptable, and perhaps better if you find yourself, as I have, focusing so much on the wrenn and six plan and not the reducing the opponant to zero plan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Midrange”