[Deck] Mono R Phoenix

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread and/or writing a primer, PM the moderator team.
This is the thread to discuss the Mono R Phoenix archetype in Modern.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

bought into mono red prowess back in January I think, just haven't been able to play much paper Magic due to the pandemic circumstances

took this list to a 2-1 finish last night

Round 1 I 2-1 an Abzan scales deck, essentially running 4 each of Hardened Scales , Winding Constrictor and the Selesnya one from M21. Game 1 he got bigger than I did, game 2 I ran over him on the play. Game 3 he went to 6 and it was a slow 6. I blood mooned him, then stole his 7/7 Stonecoil Serpent with Claim the Firstborn .

Round 2 I lost to Hatebears 1-2. G1 he had a really slow start but I tried really hard to kill every creature he played, which cost me at the end. G2 I ran him over on the play. G3 I was too aggressive in sacrificing a land to an early lava dart and got punished by missing lands for a while, leaving a bedlam in hand.

Round 3 I 2-1 Izzet Prowess. Game 1 I got him within burn range early on and got rewarded. G2 he ran me over. G3 I had all the answers and ran him over

Rounds notes:
Abbot of Keral Keep feels terrible to me, I was running Kiln Fiend in its place and I think I'll revert to that. Abbot never seemed useful.

Claim the Firstborn seems absurd from my limited experience. Maybe I just ran into matches where it was useful but there seems to be a lot of targets for it

I still need to learn the deck a lot more though

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

perhaps the name of the thread could be changed to Mono R Prowess? I have not seen anyone who uses a phoenix.

congrats on getting good results. Claim the first born is so effective against low cost large creatures in modern, or simply remove one of the blockers.

well, better not get too tempted with lava dart sac mountain. That's a lesson learned.

goodluck on the next tournaments. I'm interested to see how Kiln-fiend would perform. I sometimes used Keldon Marauders in that slot, as it is guaranteed 2 damage even with plenty of blockers.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 3 years ago

yeah being too aggressive with the flashback on lava dart was a harsh lesson but one I realized quickly. Kiln Field is probably good when they can't remove it, which is why I had it in the side to bring in. I don't know if that was correct but I wanted to test abbot anyways

I think people kinda just got off Arclight Phoenix entirely when Faithless Looting was banned, although I think it was being debated before that as well

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aggro and Tempo”