[Deck] Hollow One

Community RulesModern Forum Rules
Read Before Posting
ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread and/or writing a primer, PM the moderator team.
This is the thread to discuss the Hollow One archetype in Modern.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

maniospas
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by maniospas » 4 years ago

I've been lately brewing with a RG version of this archetype (the manabase is slightly suboptimal because I'm still transitioning). Losing black hurts in the graveyard recursion aspect, i.e. no Bloodghast and no Gurmag Anglers to enable Flamewake Phoenixes), but I believe that green more than makes up for this with improved explosiveness and early game consistency.

What I specifically tried to avoid was relying on delve threats, because my experience with turn 3 Gurmag Angler has not been great in modern (too slow). In the same slot, I tried Elvish Reclaimer as a simple beater (3/4 are not bad stats by any means at one mana investment, especially since it's usually that big on the second turn - plus at that point it dodges bolt). Reclaimer can also grind up a bit of value in stalled boards with Sunbaked Canyon in the deck. In general, I tried to streamline the curve so that almost every threat and spell can be played for 1 mana. Rancor was also a very impressive addition to an archetype that struggles against a couple of chumblockers if it's even a little late in deploying threats.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

My modern deckbuilding philosophy
Show
Hide
Be consistent with important effects (e.g. if your cards do nothing without an effect, there had better be at least 8 copies of it + ways to dig).
One-ofs are allowed only if tutorable or useful in matchups that go long.
Lower the curve as much as possible.
All cards should promote the primary gameplan.
Synergistic cards should be individually powerful (at worst by synergizing powerfully with a good portion of the deck).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Aggro and Tempo”