UWx Soulherder

ktkenshinx
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ktkenshinx » 4 years ago

This is a placeholder thread. If you are interested in taking over the thread, please PM a moderator
This is a thread for discussing the UWx Soulherder archetype including Bant Soulherder and the various snow variants.
Over-Extended/Modern Since 2010

Tags:

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

I played Soulherder with 0 Time Warp, only 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, and 2 Venser, Shaper Savant in place for the Tron matchup. Only 17 players at FNM this week.

Round 1 vs. Grixis Shadow. I get stuck on 2 land and draw Wall of Blossoms #2, 3, and 4 before a 3rd land. I eventually peel 3 land in a row and come back to where I am able to stabilize pretty safely. In the next game, I draw 7 land in a row and he goes wide. In the final game, I get to where I have the Eternal Witness/Ephemerate lock with Thragtusk and Soulherder also in play. Easy win. The match took a long time because my opponent took a long time trying to figure out how to attack my deck. Won on turn 2 of turns. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. UW Control. In the first game, I don't have pressure. Jace, the Mind Sculptor on turn 4 with only Coiling Oracle in play for me. He gets 3 Cryptic Command, 2 Supreme Verdict and the killer, Teferi, Time Raveler, which stops my 4 Path to Exile from hand. In the next game, he plays a turn 3 Vendilion Clique, but I barely race it and it becomes clear that he doesn't have Cryptic Command in this game. In the final game, I kept on 2 land, which could not cast Coiling Oracle from hand (Breeding Pool, Plains). I draw 2 more Coiling Oracle and he does turn 3 Monastery Mentor into turn 4 TRIPLE Opt and then Opt on turn 5. I'm not beating this hand anyway unless I turn 3 Path to Exile the Mentor. This guy went 4-0. 1-2.

Round 3 vs. Blue Tron. He gets Tron and Academy Ruins and keeps bringing back Walking Ballista that he found with Tolaria West. Eventually near the end of my deck, I find 2 Venser and end the game after I had to Path to Exile, bring it back with E Witnesses, then Knight of Autumn, etc. Finally got there. He also alternated it with O Stone, to which I noticed 4 Force of Negation in the bottom 17 cards of my deck. Sad times, but I got there. In the next game, I fail to draw a single land in my first 8 turns as he brings back Map many times again to get Tron. So I have to get 3 lands out with 4 Coiling Oracle and Ephemerate on 1. This leaves me tapped out to break his tapped out Map so he can't find Tower. But he has Tower on top and gets Ugin while I have Ceremonious Rejection in hand. I think he had his 3rd Condescend, so I may have needed 4 mana total anyway, but Ugin runs away with the game. I get close, but a few poor draws in a row end it. In the final game, I keep on 2 land and lose to double Walking Ballista after Tron into Tower into Wurmcoil Engine. I Path to Exile the first Ballista, which pings me for 3. But then the 5/5 Ballista and Wurmcoil Engine beat me while I have Plains/Breeding Pool in play with 2 Coiling Oracle and 2 Ice-Fanged Coatl in hand. Probably wasn't winning this game anyway without 3 Path to Exile in hand. Sad, as the other 2 games, my opponent drew almost no creatures. 1-2.

Round 4 vs. UW Control. I go wide on him and after 3 Path to Exile, but no Snap, and 2 Supreme Verdict, a rotating Thragtusk and Soulherder get there. He played only Teferi, Time Raveler this game. In the next game, it is going back and forth, but we are running out of time, so he scoops to me. I don't think this one would have ended because it took him forever to find Celestial Colonnade and I was high on life by that point. 2-0.

I get 2-2, which was rough, but Plains/Breeding Pool don't win games. I think that hand lost me both game 3s because simply put, I have 4 copies of Ice-Fanged Coatl and Coiling Oracle, so I can draw up to 8 of those effects, which do nothing. Lots of discard step for me. I love Ephemerate, as it gives you a "mini-Soulherder" when you simply can't draw Soulherder. :D
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

Megatog201

Post by Megatog201 » 4 years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing a decklist. Also why the decision to not run any Timewarps? That card is auto win in this deck. You can instantly come back from a losing board state just by topping this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”