[Deck] Rakdos Midrange Control aka Blitzkrieg

Keiichi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Keiichi » 4 years ago

Since there isn't a topic for this deck yet, I figured I might as well start one. I have neither the time nor actual play experience to put together a primer, so others are invited to do so.

I was drawn to this deck out of a desire to play two cards: Demigod of Revenge and Blood Moon. I initially pursued the Demigod aggro route with Bomat Courier, Faithless Looting, Bloodghast, and so on. It was fragile. From there I found the Blitzkrieg topic on MTGSalvation and moved in the control direction. The topic there is still a good source of historical information, but it's fallen silent for the past several months.

Early Game

Turn one discard is nearly always a must, as it sets up the game for you. It allows you to take a few extra turns to build your mana before the opponent establishes a board that you have to contend with.

A turn three Blood Moon is very powerful against most decks - and against some, induces a scoop.

Beyond that, spot removal keeps the game stable so you can get to the mid game.

Mid Game

Here's where the deck starts to shine.

Liliana of the Veil helps establish control via discard, while playing backup to the spot removal for tough to remove creatures.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance and Kolaghan's Command introduce card advantage, while Lightning Skelemental keeps the pressure on.

This is also where we can use Endling and Hazoret the Fervent to maintain board control and diversify threats.

Late Game

Once the board is relatively under control, and the opponent is (at least nearly) empty handed, we can start pressing the advantage.

By this point, we often want to be close to empty handed ourselves to support Hazoret. This can be a problem in some matchups where our spot removal is less applicable. Hazoret's discard ability can be an out to a bloated hand.

Demigod is my choice for closing out the game. Don't rely on the reanimate ability - that's not the point, though it can be an exciting bonus. A 5/x evasive haste creature is more than worth the 5 mana investment, and it doesn't usually matter if it takes two or three turns to close the game.

Don't forget that opponents may misplay when countering a Demigod: if it is countered before the cast trigger resolves, it will reanimate itself.

Note: I do not have a lot of free time to play these days, so there's no metagame knowledge involved in my card choices. Consider this a base derived from theory re: recently printed cards and some fairly successful play for several months in early 2018. I am happy to theory-craft should others be interested.

Here's my current list.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Edits for card spelling and trying to get the deck to display correctly...

Tags:

Return to “Developing”