Orzhov Haakon Knights

pzbw7z
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

How long have I wanted to play a Haakon deck? Well. . . a very long time. This version has the two staple tricks, Nameless Inversion from the 'yard courtesy of Haakon and 'Pox with Flagstones. Pulling off either would be worth the price of admission!

If you have any suggestions - other than Liliana of the Veil, I mean "duh", but . . . - I'd be glad to hear them! It clearly needs some more discard effects.

Collective Brutality looks promising, maybe Bone Shards. Looter Scooter?

Tags:

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

Honestly I'd do brutality than pox, since while symmetrical its also putting you back with no effort as well.

pzbw7z

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
Honestly I'd do brutality than pox, since while symmetrical its also putting you back with no effort as well.
Yes, CoBru is probably better than 'Pox in this build.

I like Order of Midnight; in fact I cut him to make room for some spells. I'm not sure I want him over any other creature currently in the list, but it's worth considering. Venerable Knight is a good man too, but I think I like the one-drops better here. I could see running ten one-drops so I'll give it some thought.

Haakon is the only card I'm burning to get into the yard, so Unmarked Grave isn't that exciting. I suppose it gets knights into the yard which allows Haakon's effect to be used, but it's two-CMC and a card. . . It might still be worth a thought. I'll give it one later. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

I actually played a list a few years back with Hakkon as a Junk Knights. Please note it is not at all updated but here is the list:

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

If I'm interpreting Hakkon correctly all the adventure side of spells can be played from the yard correct? Ive been wondering about this since I posted yesterday.

Ulka

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
If I'm interpreting Hakkon correctly all the adventure side of spells can be played from the yard correct? Ive been wondering about this since I posted yesterday.
Correct

pzbw7z

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
Correct
Everything I've seen is contrary to this.
https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/mag ... and-haakon

Ulka

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
Correct
Everything I've seen is contrary to this.
https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/mag ... and-haakon
whoops I forgot about the whole part about 601.2e. ignore me

pzbw7z

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I actually played a list a few years back with Hakkon as a Junk Knights. Please note it is not at all updated but here is the list:

It's probably better than my crap. Playing Haakon without Liliana of the Veil is pretty much a waste of time, but I'm not shelling out for her.

Ulka

the idea of my old list was to rip land out of the opponents deck with Ghost Quarter until I was just strip mining them over and over where the constant grind of the removal and discard just wore away thier resources. its probably too slow for right now but id be interested to see how it could be adapted.

I realized that we got cards like Assassin's Trophy since I stopped with the list which is just a god send for the l;ist with a few paths also

pzbw7z

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
the idea of my old list was to rip land out of the opponents deck with Ghost Quarter until I was just strip mining them over and over where the constant grind of the removal and discard just wore away thier resources. its probably too slow for right now but id be interested to see how it could be adapted.

I realized that we got cards like Assassin's Trophy since I stopped with the list which is just a god send for the l;ist with a few paths also
Some of the new stuff is pretty nice, such as Vanishing Verse and also Vindicate. Assassin's Trophy is dubious in a resource-denial strategy. Ramping them is counterproductive. A deck like that might get away with it against some - maybe even most - Modern decks since they run so few basics, but it will bite you now and then.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”