[DECK]Elementals[/DECK]

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
what are you going the copy with the images? The opponent's shadow?
No, I mean for the deck's 75. During quarantine when there was a 3 week span (I figured it would be more), I put together the Kaheera, the Orphanguard version of the deck. So I have to cut the non-Elementals - the Images.

The Image version is much more explosive in my opinion because on the play, you can go Aether Vial, Unsettled Mariner, Lightning Skelemental on turn 3 with Image copying Skelemental. 12 trample damage and discard 4 on turn 3 is very strong.

Or you can copy whatever else you need to. Vesperlark brings back Image as well since it doesn't just choose Elementals like Thunderkin Awakener does.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

Got wrecked again. 1-2 at TNM.

Round 1 vs. Omnath Control. Same guy from last few weeks. This went about the same way as those. Putting down early threats like Voice of Resurgence or Unsettled Mariner and then sneaking in a Lightning Skelemental. He was smart about killing Thunderkin Awakeners as soon as he could when he could, but I just had too much for him. Wrenn and Six was a bit interesting to play around in the games as well. When it was at 7 (ultimate next turn), I had to swing it with a Skelemental to knock it to 1. I used some Fulminator Mages to blow up some Fields in the late game and after 6 Zombies blocked, I vialed in an Incandescent Soulstoke and Dismembered 2 of them. If he clears the board, I play the Thunderkin Awakener and Lightning Skelemental from hand to win. He doesn't have the sweeper. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Lurrus Scales. He mulls to 6. Scales into Scales/Arcbound Worker, then a lethal threat a turn after that. I don't have much and really can't get there at this point. I make him discard Spellskite/Ravager with Skelly, but he keeps Walking Ballista and that kills me. I mull to 6 in the next game and Ingot Chew a Hangarback Walker, but he gets Walking Ballista into double Ravager. I draw for the turn and scoop. Lurrus never came into play. 0-2.

Round 3 vs. Yorion Taxes. He mulls to 6, but has Stoneforge Mystics. I don't have removal or Flamekin Harbinger. I never find the answer to B Skull with Sword of Light and Shadow. In the next game, I mull to 6, find a bunch of Risen Reefs and win easily. I Dismember 2 creatures to make it easier. I mull to 6 again, so I assume I will win since the person to mull to 6 has won so far. I consider putting my 3rd land on the bottom so if I draw a 3rd land, I will be fine. But I decide it's too risky since I've done so in the past, never drawing a single land during the whole game (and I need 3 to function). I end up with 9 lands and 6 spells at one point. I get the companion because why not? He has 3 lands and never draw another. He puts Yorion in hand with 3 mana while Vial is at 5. I cannot win at this point, him having multiple Giver of Runes to protect and my removal being 3 Dismember and Spitebellows. He swings with Yorion and then adds a Sword of Light and Shadow to it. GGs. 1-2.

I finish 1-2. More details coming soon...
Last edited by FoodChainGoblins 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

seems like you took a savage beating from Lurrus. just kidding. lol

looking forward to the details.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 2 years ago

Back in it!

I play an FNM, my first FNM, at Playlive nation in Fullerton, CA. 4 rounds.

Round 1 vs. UR Prowess. He says it's his first Modern tournament, but beats his friend around 50% of the time. I ask him what he normally plays and he said Commander. The first game is close. He has me near the ropes when I block one of his creatures with a Voice of Resurgence token to go to 4 life with 1 card in his hand. Then I swing back with Lightning Skelemental, 2 Voice tokens, Thunderkin Awakener getting back a Skelemental from the gy to win. In the next game, he mulls to 5. He gets back in the game with a very timely Light Up the Stage, but once again, I am able to provide enough blocking bodies, Flickerwisp to reset a Dragon Sprite that got large, and get through for lethal. 2-0

Round 2 vs. Titanshift. He ramps up to 5 mana. I ask him how many cards in hand. He said 4, which sucks because he can keep untapped land and Prime Time. I have to do it, so I swing with Lightning Skelemental to make him discard 2 of his 4 cards. He draws and plays land, but he scoops because he didn't have Prime Time or Summoner's Pact. Whew, so lucky! In the next game, he actually got stuck on lands and I drew a 3rd Fulminator Mage to go with the 2 in my opening hand, then find a lord to go with my Thunderkin Awakener to do it every turn. I think he actually kept a "only Red source hand," but drew a fetch on turn 2. I had planned to blow up what he fetches for, but he got a Forest, so I had to destroy the Valakuts that he kept drawing (3 in all). I got lucky to win this horrible matchup. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Toski Blade. In the first game, I just run him over and he scoops. I felt like Supreme Verdict was coming and had Thunderkin Awakener and another Lightning Skelemental in hand to end it. In the next game, I had to use Dismembers and Spitebellows on some creatures, but his last card was Batterskull, which he ran out with no cards in hand. I topdecked Ingot Chewer to chew the Skull, then he scooped after drawing. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. BtL Scapeshift. Damn, another Valakut deck! I would have rather played against the only other 3-0, who got a BYE :fuming: instead on Jund. The Jundie was the guy who told me about the tournament and we carpooled. Game 1, I am about to win, but he topdecks Bring to Light to beat me the turn before I swing to kill him. Can't be mad - 4 BtL and 4 Scapeshift, although I learn later that Scapeshift is a 1 of. In the next game, he Anger of the Gods me, but I just have too many haste creatures and you don't care about Anger if I've drawn 100 cards off Risen Reef. In the final game, I am about to kill him again. He draws Bring to Light again. But he only had 5 lands total because I had been Fulminator Maging him. So he does Madcap Experiment to get Platinum Emperion. I did not put in artifact removal, so I wait a turn to draw Risen Reef. He doesn't have removal and I eventually find a chain of Flamekin Harbinger to find Flamekin Harbinger to find Flamekin Harbinger to find Flamekin Harbinger to find fireball Omnath. He has just drawn 1 card for the turn, which is not Scapeshift or BtL, so I wait 1 more turn in case i'ts removal on a creature and I lose. I tick Vial up to 4 and put in Omnath with enough creatures to withstand a potential 2 removals in his hand. GGs. 2-1.

I get the 4-0. Drew very well. No mulls to 5 and very few to 6.

Okay, I have to post this! In my first 100 matches, I am 76-24, so I surpassed my goal of a 75% win percentage. :)
Last edited by FoodChainGoblins 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Played in a ThNM with 22 players for 4 rounds.

Round 1 vs. Infect. So before the tournament, his friend seemed to allude to the fact that his friend would play Infect and my opponent would play Storm. The opponent didn't look like an Infect player, but did look like a Storm player. This guy won last week's tournament, although I wasn't there. They announced that the first person to beat him wins a pack. So I mull a hand with double Fulminator Mage, Thunderkin Awakener, Incandescent Soulstoke, 2 lands, and Spitebellows. It didn't seem the best against Storm, so I mulled to Voice of Resurgence, Unsettled Mariner, and 4 land. He was on Infect and I lost to Inkmoth Nexus. Big mistake. In the next game, he mulled to 5 and just didn't have enough gas after I Dismember a creature and Spitebellows another. In the last game, I kill Glistener Elf, mostly because I felt like he may play Distortion Strike and kill me. Then I kill a Blighted Agent. But he plays another. I go for Omnath, Locus of the Roil to attempt to kill it. He plays a hexproof until EoT, +1/+1 counter on it. Then on his turn during his upkeep, I Aether Vial in Flickerwisp to try to flicker the Agent. I have lethal next turn. He does Vines of Vastwood and I scoop. 1-2.

Round 2 vs. RBw Shadow w/ Lurrus. In the first game, he has some Monastery Swiftspears picking away at me, but I eventually get Risen Reef down and get a pretty stalled board. He crunches and I block with some Voice of Resurgence and he Temur Battle Rages, but I'm at 3 life. He has 1 card and 1 land open, so Bolt can't kill me since I have an Unsettled Mariner in play. I draw a land and swing back for lethal next turn. In the next game, I kill a Scourge again and it plays out nearly the same. But I have Aether Vial, so it is much easier to cast multiple bros. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Humans. He has Reflector Mage and Image to slow me down, but no Champion of the Parish, Mantis Rider, or Thalia's Lieutenant. I am able to get multiple Risen Reefs, 3 at one point to flood the board and swing back for lethal after tapping a Horizon land with him at 0 cards in hand an swing for lethal. The next game is similar, as I can only tap 1 of 2 Horizon lands to stay at 1 and swing for lethal. He had a Champion of the Parish, but it didn't get too big too quickly because Vial on turn 1, so I Spitebellows it. I get too big a board and while he pings away with 2 Kitesail Freebooter, I get through in time at 1 life again. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. UR Prowess. In the first game, I calculate where I have lethal on the swing back and take down to 3 life with 1 land in play for her and 3 cards. I have Unsettled Mariner in play, so I'm safe from direct damage. But she ends up playing a 3rd Monastery Swiftspear of the game as a blocker for my 6/6 Elemental token to stay alive at 5 life for her. She got me here. In the next game, it is similar, but I come with multiple Skelementals with Mariner in play and 1 land for her, so I trample over either way. In the 3rd game, I'll be honest. I should have mulliganed. I kept on Vial, double Thunderkin, and Incandescent Soulstoke, but she mulls to 5 and I am able to just take some removal, kill a single creature that she played, and easily get victory. 2-1.

I finish 3-1, so 79-25 overall now. :party:
Last edited by FoodChainGoblins 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I think 20 players for 4 rounds at Playlive again.

Round 1 vs. RUG Shift. He ramps up, but I get a couple of Fulminator Mages to slow him down while Voice beats him. He made a mistake IMO of doing Growth Spiral at EoT because it gave me an elemental token from Voice. I am able to get him before he had the opportunity to do much. In the next game, Vial allows me to Skelemental and Image on Skelemental after he tapped out to Farseek a 6th land into play with 3 cards in hand. He discards double Path to Exile and Prime Time. :? I was considering for a short time doing Fulminator Mage and Image, but I needed to put some pressure on his life total and make him discard. Got there by drawing well again. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. E Tron. This is a good matchup for Elementals, just like how Humans beats E Tron. I am stoked to play against it. He plays Tron piece and Map on turn 1, but Sea Gate Wreckage on turn 2, so I'm safe. I eventually get to big a board for a single Smasher to take care of. In the next game, he does Tron piece and Map, but I have Ingot Chewer, destroying Map to prevent Tron. It slows him down and I have removal for most of a Smasher and double Thought-Knot Seer and then I swing through. I had double Dismember, so 1 got exiled, then I hard cast Shriekmaw to kill another TKS. Fairly easy matchup, but it could have been interesting if he drew Baby Karn. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. BUGwr BtL. In the first game, he has double Fatal Push for 2 Thunderkin Awakener, but I have Vesperlark to bring one back and I get there with enough pressure a few turns later. In the next game, he actually got frustrated from how many times I Fulminator Maged him. Then on the final turn, I played 1 and Imaged it. He scooped, as he only had 3 lands in play at the time. I was probably only going to use 1, because I needed to pressure his life total as well. He was at 6 and I had no other creatures in play. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Jund. This is the guy I rode with. He got the BYE last week, so we tied for 1st. This time, I have a chance to solely get 1st.
In the first game, he Junds me out. He Thoughtseized Voice of Resurgence and I kept drawing X/1s for his Wrenn and Six to pick off. In the next game, I have too much going on with an Unsettled Mariner that gets Fatal Pushed. Skelemental + Image on Skelly for a clean swing for me on turn 3. He doesn't recover from this. In the final game, it gets to parity after he gets some removal. But I then get a Risen Reef that is unanswered into Voice into other stuff. Got there! 2-1.

I go 4-0 for 1st place. 83-25 now with the deck. :grin:
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

congrats on doing well. Surprised to see Vesperlark in the deck. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
congrats on doing well. Surprised to see Vesperlark in the deck. :)
Yeah, it gets cut a lot. But if I feel like there's gonna be a lot of removal, Evoking it can bring back Risen Reef, Thunderkin Awakener, Phantasmal Image, and probably a few more, lol.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

than you should not cut it. If it can bring back that many important creatures.

is the deck 4 colors now? From what I remembered it was rug that last time you used it.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
than you should not cut it. If it can bring back that many important creatures.

is the deck 4 colors now? From what I remembered it was rug that last time you used it.
It's always been at least 4 colors. It's a similar mana base to humans. Here is a current list for the most recent tournament, which took off the companion Kaheera, the Orphanguard so that I could run 2 Phantasmal Image in the deck.

I may try Omnath, Locus of Creation in the place of 1 Vesperlark if I remember for next week. I kind of wish I can find at least 1 of my other Voice of Resurgence, as I want to move closer to the online list of 4 (most likely starting with 3).
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I've gotten back to the Phantasmal Image version. Tuesday night - 12 players, 4 rounds, had to sign up for the Magic Onion App.

Round 1 vs. Zoo. Turn 2 Scion of Draco into Mantis Rider into BBE + Mantis Rider #2 into BBE/Shardless Agent/Kavu left me wondering how MH2 affected the power level of Modern. In the next game, it is close, but he topdecked 2 Bloodbraid Elves while I drew Aether Vial and a 5th land. 0-2.

Round 2 vs. Jund. I got Unsettled Mariner into Skelly and it's downhill for him from there. In the next game, it is close, but I topdeck Thunderkin Awakener into Lightning Skelemental while he drew land and Kroxa. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. RG Titanshift. I'll be honest. I got lucky. He didn't have Titan on time in game 1 and I pushed through lethal. In the next game, he got Titan, but I killed him the next turn, as I had tons of pressure. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Tron. He mulled to 5, but found Tron into Karn Liberated into baby Karn into Karn Liberated. I beat him with haste creatures like Skelemental. In the next game, I have too many Fulminator Mages and Phantasmal Image as well. I even try to keep him off 4 mana because baby Karn will temporarily affect my Aether Vial. Got there with a nutty hand. 2-0.

I go 3-1, so now 86-26 with the deck. This is silly.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

congrats on the good performance.

but that must have been a tough zoo deck you faced.. is it a highly aggressive version of Zoo?

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
congrats on the good performance.

but that must have been a tough zoo deck you faced.. is it a highly aggressive version of Zoo?
Yes, it was Bloodbraid Elf into Shardless Agent into 5/5 Kavu.

Played in a 12 person MNM.

Round 1 vs. Esper Blade. Both games had him on a low mana count. I had a few Fulminator Mages to put him away, but he didn't give away that he was on Stoneforge Mystic in game 1. So he got Kaldra Compleat out, but I was able to race, while blocking with Fulminator Mages and Image on Mage to blow up lands. Got him pretty easily, with only a Hallowed Fountain in play in the end of game 3. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. RG Ponza. In the first game, he got Blood Moon down early after a mull to 5. I didn't have Vial and got stuck just on 1 Plains and non basics. I couldn't do too much and he ran away with it with BBEs. In the next game, I ran him over with Lightning Skelementals. In the final game, he mulled to 5 again and got stuck on 1 land, then Arbor Elf. I Fulminator Mage the Stomping Ground and next turn Spitebellows the Elf and he scoops. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. Zoo. This is the one I lost to last week. In the first game, I have too much pressure for him and get there with Risen Reef getting too much value late. In the next game, he got a bit mad because I didn't (not on purpose) read that Spitebellows has to target something, including my own stuff. In the end, I just had too much for him and I'm pretty sure I get there. But he wasn't so sure. 2-1.

Round 4 vs. Dredge. He did Mom Hugs that got all the Creeping Chills, Oxen, and whatever else he needed. Very easy victory for him, as he put tons of stuff on board and started games at 29 and 32 life, while I started at 11 and 8. Sad times. 0-2.

89-27 now. :o
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
In the next game, he got a bit mad because I didn't (not on purpose) read that Spitebellows has to target something, including my own stuff. In the end, I just had too much for him and I'm pretty sure I get there. But he wasn't so sure. 2-1.
ahaha, the controversial Spitebellows. just kidding. :grin:

that Dredge deck looks grim. better bring some gy removal for it next time.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
In the next game, he got a bit mad because I didn't (not on purpose) read that Spitebellows has to target something, including my own stuff. In the end, I just had too much for him and I'm pretty sure I get there. But he wasn't so sure. 2-1.
ahaha, the controversial Spitebellows. just kidding. :grin:

that Dredge deck looks grim. better bring some gy removal for it next time.
I think I didn't specify that my Spitebellows is foil German and the only one I own. Normally I just tell opponents to look up the oracle text because I know they won't believe that I have to target my own stuff if there are none of their cards in play to target. They haven't played that far back when cards did that. He really was upset and since he's 2-1 vs. me recently, he probably thinks he has my number.

I do have grave removal, but it's a measly 2 Relic of Progenitus. Definitely not good enough to mull deep into, considering he has 8 Cathartic Reunions in his deck, 4 of which gain 2 life. I do think Endurance will be better because it has a low cost and has a body.

12 player TNM again.

Round 1 vs. Niv Mizzet w/ Yorion companion. In the first game, he cast 4 Kaya's Guile, but little other removal other than 1 for 1s.
I save Risen Reefs and get some advantage. I eventually get there in the late game, although I was close to conceding. He didn't find Bring to Light or Niv Mizzet. He also didn't cast Yorion just as a 4/5 flier. The next game is more decisive, as I have a strong hand and he stumbles on removal, while getting a land Fulminator Maged when it had Utopia Sprawl. Wrenn and Six got lands that I Maged, but the 2 for 1 was enough. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Zoo. Game was super close, but he drew a Bloodbraid Elf, while I found my 3rd late game Aether Vial, then lost. I get him in the next game after Dismember on his 2 threats. He had a removal heavy hand, so he's playing the "control" in the matchup. It's not working; he's definitely the beatdown. I would take any game going to turn 6 or later, although BBE by him and land by me has made that not always true. I get there fairly easily. In the last game, he is at 2 life and I see a defeated look in his eyes, as he is empty handed. Bloodbraid Elf into Lightning Helix on 1 of my creatures gets him back in it and his draws finish off my draws. Damn those late game Aether Vials! 1-2.

Round 3 vs. Jund. This is the friend I drove with. In the first game, he removes and removes, but doesn't have a threat and Risen Reefs give me advantage, as I press damage through. Bloodbraid Elf into Kologhan's Command kind of put him back in it, but he drew just lands other than those in like 4 draw steps with creatures rearing down on him. In the next game, it is fairly close, but I am able to kill Wrenn and Six and Liliana of the Veil with a Thunderkin Awakener into Vesperlark. Then when Lark leaves play, I get another Thunderkin Awakener back that was sacrificed to LotV. :) Then I Fulminator Mage him to 3 lands, but he draws land into BBE into Lily. Not enough, as Risen Reefs live and give me a million card advantage. Still got 6 in hand when I win! 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Burn. He does turn 1 Lava Spike. I know I'm pretty favored to win from here on out. He gets Eidolon of the Great Revel and Searing Blaze, but gets to 4 lands and can't quite do lethal before I walk him. The 2nd game was BAAAAD for me. I haven't played against Burn or Prowess in a while, so I have forgotten how to utilize life total. So, on his final turn, he attacks with Goblin Guide and Eidolon of the Great Revel to put me to 7. Then he Lava Spikes me to 4, while he's at 13 now (Eidolon hit on him). I can't cast Thunderkin Awakener to awaken a Lighting Skelemental and then cast another Lightning Skelemental to do exactly 13 cuz I take 4 to die. :( I needed to block with my 1/2). But I was scared he was gonna leave open the mana to Bolt my dude or just not cast a spell while at 15, then swing for lethal. In the last game, I get life gain, then Voice of Resurgence and Unsettled Mariners. Some of the toughest cards against Burn, then I draw Omnath, Locus of the Roil while the board is full on both sides to push through damage. 2-1.
Last edited by FoodChainGoblins 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
I think I didn't specify that my Spitebellows is foil German and the only one I own. Normally I just tell opponents to look up the oracle text because I know they won't believe that I have to target my own stuff if there are none of their cards in play to target. They haven't played that far back when cards did that. He really was upset and since he's 2-1 vs. me recently, he probably thinks he has my number.
Spitebellows speak german, so he can confuse your opponent. Can't beat what you can't understand. just kidding again. lol
he should have just checked the oracle.

btw, is that Zoo you lost to in this most recent TNM, the guy who got mad? :omg:
I do have grave removal, but it's a measly 2 Relic of Progenitus. Definitely not good enough to mull deep into, considering he has 8 Cathartic Reunions in his deck, 4 of which gain 2 life. I do think Endurance will be better because it has a low cost and has a body.
yeah, two certainly are not enough. Need 4 or more against that deck.

the new gy removing elemental does look like a natural fit into your deck, since he's also an elemental.
although the price of singles is still quite high, :cold:

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
FoodChainGoblins wrote:
2 years ago
Spitebellows speak german, so he can confuse your opponent. Can't beat what you can't understand. just kidding again. lol
he should have just checked the oracle.

btw, is that Zoo you lost to in this most recent TNM, the guy who got mad? :omg:
yeah, two certainly are not enough. Need 4 or more against that deck.

the new gy removing elemental does look like a natural fit into your deck, since he's also an elemental.
although the price of singles is still quite high, :cold:
Yep. This Zoo opponent is now 2-1 vs. me, while I'm 16-1 otherwise, only losing to Infect since the Quarantine. 17-3 overall.

Yeah, I should have gotten Endurance a bit ago. Did not expect that spike, lol. I am also super interested in the Glimpse of Tomorrow deck TBH. :love:
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

A 3/4 for 1 gg that removes yard at instant speed is useful, an optional force of will ability, and even when hard cast it's rather strong.

feels like a really pushed card. Good luck in getting some.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
A 3/4 for 1 gg that removes yard at instant speed is useful, an optional force of will ability, and even when hard cast it's rather strong.

feels like a really pushed card. Good luck in getting some.
Thanks, although I failed tonight.

32 player FNM.

Round 1 vs. Abzan. Risen Reef and haste guys eat this guy alive. He also got mana flooded in game 1 and didn't know some of the elementals. Cool guy though. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Bushwhacker Zoo. This guy said he hasn't played in a while. I'm not sure why everyone says that; that just means their chances of getting lucky go way up. :crazy: In the first game, we go back and forth after Burning Tree Emissary into Reckless Whacker. He draws a card in hand for the turn and attacks. I play around Bolt and lose to Ghor-Clan Rampager for exact lethal. I'm fine with that, unless I literally know he has that in hand since if I block everything, Bolt kills my entire board and he kills me next turn without drawing a single card. He gets Rancor and gets lethal with his last draw of 2nd Rancor, while I get stuck on 3 lands and 5 other cards in hand. :( I should have mulled this hand. Double Burning Tree Emissary put a clock on me. 0-2.

Round 3 vs. Humans. He plays Aether Vial. I do too. He does Meddling Mage, but doesn't know what to call. He calls Fury. He gets another Mage, but his draw is too slow and I have double Vial and a bunch of Risen Reefs to push damage eventually. I think I Omnath into Phantasmal Image on Omnath for 18, then swing for lethal. In the next game, he has some Horizon lands to take damage and I luckily have Shriekmaw into Spitebellows to kill 2 Champion of the Parish, then Thunderkin Awakener the Spitebellows to demolish his board. He can't win after this. He really liked the deck and I gave him a deck list. He may play it next week! 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Enchantress. I run her over with Lightning Skelementals in game 1. She asked if I topdecked it. I said I drew 1 after my Risen Reef trigger. In the next game, I have Dismembers for mana dudes, but she plays Enchantress's Presence then draws a million cards. She eventually wins with a creature that makes her lands 15/15s, due to auras in play. In the next game, I run her over with Skelementals again. Quick draw this game. :) 2-1.

Round 5 vs. BtL Niv Mizzet w/ Yorion. This match is for 3rd. He plays a bunch of removal in game 1 and I eventually land Risen Reef into a full board and win. In the next game, he gets Ashiok, which overall exiles 11 nonlands and 1 horizon land. :( I think I lost right there. Yep, I draw too many lands and Aether Vial and he holds me off. In the last game it is close but he draws Niv Mizzet into finding Lightning Helix, which saves him lethal. He did double Fatal Push on my Omnath and Unsettled Mariner the turn before. He gets there barely by hitting me twice with Niv Mizzet now that I'm at 12 life from Dismembering 2 Omnath of his. I can't race him, as Cavern of Souls and Unclaimed Territory are my draws while I lose with Risen Reef in play. It was scary for him until the end, as my 3rd Dismember would have me at 1 and I could possibly outrace him since he was at 7. He gained a lot of life from Omnath and the first Omnath into Bring to Light for Supreme Verdict was huge. 1-2.

I finish 3-2 with the deck, just missing 3rd place with the round 5 loss. Now I'm 95-30 with the deck.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

nice report, looks like you did not encounter your nemesis this week - the "friendly" kavu zoo player. :grin:

fight vs bushwacker zoo looks intense. I guess it's when both aggro clash, these things happen.

against humans. I guess your men are better than his men. German Spitebellows helping with the win again. :)

yeah, the card advantage of Enchantress Presence is hard to overcome. Lucky you defeated her in time, before she got it again the third game.

thanks for the info on the niv deck. Is that a combo or control deck? No one here plays it, so I'm a bit clueless on what it's game plan is.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
nice report, looks like you did not encounter your nemesis this week - the "friendly" kavu zoo player. :grin:

fight vs bushwacker zoo looks intense. I guess it's when both aggro clash, these things happen.

against humans. I guess your men are better than his men. German Spitebellows helping with the win again. :)

yeah, the card advantage of Enchantress Presence is hard to overcome. Lucky you defeated her in time, before she got it again the third game.

thanks for the info on the niv deck. Is that a combo or control deck? No one here plays it, so I'm a bit clueless on what it's game plan is.
Yep, he was a couple of tables from me. I think he lost in Round 1 and possibly another round before Round 5. I think we were close to playing until this happened, lol.

In the Bushwhacker matchup, I am the "control" player. He is certainly the beatdown, as proven by him beating me while emptying his hand in both games, while I had 3 to 5 cards in hand still. But I should have mulliganed the 2nd hand, at least trying to get Aether Vial. I was kind of hoping he didn't have the nuts again.

Yes, this deck usually beats Humans. I think I am 8-1 or 9-1 overall vs. Humans with this deck. :)

In the 3rd game, I hit her with double Lightning Skelemental and she discarded 2 Enchantress Presence, keeping a single card in hand. I was actually hoping she would keep the Presence, as I had a 2/2 and a 1/1 to put some pressure and finish her off in 2 turns anyway.

This is Niv.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=31088&d=441772&f=MO
On mtgtop8, it is a "Control" deck, but I think of it as a "big" Midrange deck. It has a lot of removal into Niv Mizzet for card advantage. If you don't have Mystical Dispute or Aether Gust vs. this deck, you can be in trouble.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

15 person MNM.

Round 1 vs. Jund w/ Ragavan. He got stuck on 2 lands and my 2nd Risen Reef into pure gasoline killed him. When you're blocking with a turn 3 Ragavan, you know you're in trouble. In the next game, he does Cleansing Wildfire on turn 2 and I do a turn 3 Fulminator Mage to keep him off Green. He mulled to 6 I think. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Mono Blue Tron. I aggro him quickly, while keeping a Lightning Skelemental in hand for lethal, but he scoops to another card making my Voice token larger. The next game is similar, but he does Wurmcoil Engine in time, so I have to Phantasmal Image it and kill him a few turns later. Both games featured 2-3 Fulminator Mages for me. Kept him off Tron mostly. This guy has caused a lot of problems for me in the past, and I would assume I'm 50/50 vs. him. :( 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Glimpse of Tomorrow. My 5 card hand is slow and he combos off for a million permanents. Kills me easily He goes for a 5 card Glimpse in the next game with more than lethal on board. He goes off for every Glimpse and the Goblin that brings them back. He draws 2 cards off 2 Omnath, but luckily for him, he has exactly 2 Violent Outburst in his deck, so he doesn't draw himself out. 0-2.

Round 4 vs. Dredge. He kills me so easily, filtering through his whole deck while I mull to 5. In the next game he mulls to 5 and I mull to 6. I get Relic of Progenitus and my hand is quick enough to kill him after I bust it to slow him a few turns. We both mull to 5 in the last game, but I have Relic of Progenitus and he plays Bloodghast off Dakmor Salvage and Blood Crypt. It takes him too long to Nature's Claim my Relic, then the gain life Cathartic Reunion. I get there while at 8 life and him at 18 by swinging for 24. :o 2-1.

I go 3-1, so now 98-31 with the deck.

10 player TNM. 4 rounds.

Round 1 vs. Budget UR Prowess. New player here. No Scalding Tarns, but Evolving Wilds, just to give an idea of the deck. I race her in game 1 and beat her the turn before she can beat me. Lightning Skelemental into Thunderkin Awakener, making her discard 4 cards in total, won the game. In the next game, she mulls to 5 and is stuck on Island while I curve off perfectly. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Burn. In the first game, he gets stuck on 1 land and 2 Goblin Guides, so I search up Fulminator Mage and he now has 0 lands. He never draws a land and scoops to Unsettled Mariner. In the next game, I keep a 1 lander that has double Healer of the Glade, Flamekin Harbinger, some 2 drops, and a few 3 drops. I get stuck on 1 land, but get the 2nd land right on time, evoking Vesperlark for Healer of the Glade #1. Then I do Thunderkin Awakener, bringing back Vesperlark, bringing back Healer of the Glade. Meanwhile, a Healer is a chump each turn. I draw Wispmare to evoke and blow up an Eidolon of the Great Revel. Eventually I draw a 3rd land and start casting my hand while he is a burn spell shy of pushing damage or close enough to kill in a few turns. The key draw was when he PAth to Exile my Thunderkin to stop shenanigans, but I drew another Thunderkin Awakener off the top to keep the stupidity going. Insane game! 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Titanshift. In the first game, he mulls once and I ramp into Lightning Skelemental with him on 2 cards. He discards Prime Time and Scapeshift. He draws Titan the turn after, but I Shriekmaw it and swing for exactly lethal. The next game is similar, with both of us on 5 cards, but I get Thunderkin Awakener for Lightning Skelemental with him on Titan and at 1 life. Exactly lethal when he blocks Skelly. GGs and great draws for me. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. UB Whirza. We ID, so 0-0-3, but only if he plays it out for fun. The first game is close, but I have too much haste and I knock 4 cards out of his hand. In the next game, he is close to the combo, but I have Risen Reef, which allows me to draw Ingot Chewer for Ensnaring Bridge, then Relic of Progenitus it away with Goblin Engineer tapped out. I ended up drawing Dismember as well, so I had a few options. We both mulled a lot this match, but I just kept coming at him, while his draws were a bit clunky. 2-0.

I go 4-0, so 102-31 with the deck. :o :o
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

wow, you're so active playing the deck.
and thanks for the info on Niv.

a few comment on your games..

even Jund is using monkey..

the swing for 24 damage to finish off dredge is epic.

you still faced Tron? I thought the deck was in decline, because of counterspell becoming legal. Phantasmal Image a wurmcoil is a classic move.

the budget ur prowess.. shows the power of the deck. Even a budget build with evolving wilds almost killed you in the first game.

what exactly does a Glimpse deck do?

congrats on the good finishes. :)

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

75 person $2K.

Round 1 vs. Ponza. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. UR Murk. 1-2.

Round 3 vs. Jund Ponza. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Ponza. 1-2.

Round 5 vs. Amulet. 2-0.

Round 6 vs. Hammer. 0-2.

Round 7 vs. Blue Living End. 2-0.

I finish 4-3, so no prize. Rough night.

22 person MNM.

Round 1 vs. UR Prowess. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Mono Blue Tron. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Bant Control. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Jund. 2-0.

Round 5 vs. Mono Blue Tron. 2-1.

I go 5-0.

15 person TNM.

Round 1 vs. Affinity. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Jund. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. E Tron!!!! 2-0.

Round 4 vs. Tron. We ID, but play for fun. 1-2.

I go 3-1.

Total record now is 114-35
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

WNM 10 players.

Round 1 vs. BW Tokens Event Deck. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. Jund Food Combo. 0-2.

Round 3 vs. Hammer. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. UR Murk. 2-0.

I go 3-1 for 3rd on breakers. Murk still got 1st, but record was the same for payout at this place. KEY!!

FNM, 28 players.

Round 1 vs. Humans. 0-2.

Round 2 vs. Blue Tron. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Burn. 2-1.

Round 4 vs. Jund Ragavan. 2-1.

Round 5 vs. 4 Color Lurrus/Kroxa/Ragavan/ScM? 1-2.

I go 3-2, so now 120-38
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”