[DECK]Elementals[/DECK]

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

Here was my inspiration for the deck.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23854&d=365892&f=MO

After seeing this and 2 other lists, I bought a Primal Beyond playset for $44 and a few other small items. Everything else, I already had.

Here is my deck.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I saw the proponent of the deck saying somewhere that the worst cards were Smokebraider, then Vesperlark. So I have been siding those out quite a bit when they don't seem super good.

So far, I've gotten four 4-0s, a 3-1, and a 1-3 (I dropped after losing Rounds 2 and 3 to not drawing a single land). The deck has many choices and is pretty insane if you can get to 3 mana. 20-4 overall. :o

I'll try to remember what I played against.
FNM -
Round 1 vs. E Tron. 2-1.
Round 2 vs. Bant Snowblade. 2-1.
Round 3 vs. Goblins. 2-1.
Round 4 vs. Skred. 2-1.

FNM -
Round 1 vs. E Tron. 2-1.
Round 2 vs. BW Taxes. 2-1.
Round 3 vs. E Tron. 2-0.
Round 4 vs. Blue Tron. 2-1.

MNM -
Round 1 vs. Sultai Urza - 2-1.
Round 2 vs. Tron. 1-2.
Round 3 vs. Werewolves. 0-2.
Round 4 vs. ?. I left. 0-2.

WNM -
Round 1 vs. GR Breach. 2-0.
Round 2 vs. GR Breach. 2-0.
Round 3 vs. Tron. 2-0.
Round 4 vs. Sultai Whirza. 2-0.

FNM -
Round 1 vs. GR Breach. 2-0.
Round 2 vs. Tron. 1-2.
Round 3 vs. Burn. 2-1.
Round 4 vs. Bant Snowblade. 2-0.

Sunday Modern.
Round 1 vs. Tron. 2-1.
Round 2 vs. Goblins. 2-0.
Round 3 vs. Zoo. 2-1.
Round 4 vs. Burn. 2-0.

Got my store credit to over $90 at one store and $47 at another. :grin:
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

nice run with the deck. What's the general strategy of this? pure aggro?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
nice run with the deck. What's the general strategy of this? pure aggro?
That's just the thing. It can go many different routes. There is the aggro strategy with Lightning Skelemental and Thunderkin Awakener. But there is a STRONG midrange route with Risen Reef. Once that little guy goes off for a bit, you cannot be buried in card advantage anymore. Against some decks, you kind of play controllish (like against Tron), but you switch at any moment. There's just so much you can do with this deck. It has a lot more play to it than something like Humans and I feel that it should win most tribal mirrors, for what that's worth.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Got back from Northern CA, where I 3-0 MNM and 2-2 Sat. Magic at the Santa Clara Game Center.

MNM - 8 players.

Round 1 vs. Burn. He got some early pressure, but Unsettled Mariner caused some real problems for him. He tried to Searing Blaze it, but I told him that Searing Blaze has 2 targets, so he has to pay 1 for each not to be countered. Then I got my own clock and another one. The next game was similar, but his pressure wasn't quite as much. Easier game for me. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Tron. In the first game, I got lucky to get the Incandescent Soulstoke, Thunderkin Awakener, Fulminator Mage combo and he missed Tron (having to Map and sacrifice with only 2 mana left then) for a turn. After that, it was game. The next game was even meaner, as I got Fulm Mage and Phantasmal Image off Aether Vial on turn 3. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Bant SnowBlade. In the first game, he got on board fairly well, but slowed down. I bogged the board down with Risen Reef and just had too much after a few turns. He scooped. I told him that I had Flamekin Harbinger into all the Flamekin Harbingers into Omnath, Locus of the Roil for a lethal fireball anyway. In the next game, I mull to 4. Aether Vial, land, Unsettled Mariner, and the best card in the matchup - Risen Reef. I end up winning this one in the same way. Risen Reef is just INSANE! 2-0.

Sat. Magic - 14 players.

Round 1 vs. Jund Oko. He lands Oko on turn 3, so I think he's BUG Shadow, especially after he takes a vicious hit from a Skelemental and discards his 2 cards in hand. But he is just Jund with Oko. I beat him soon after, when I get card advantage that just snowballs. In the next game, I am close to winning (slowed by an Oko), but he draws Plague Engineer, then removal. I can barely come back after that, despite having all 3 Lords this game. But I can't find Dismember and I get run over eventually when I draw 5 lands in a row (2 Horizon lands, but still). In the next game after another mull to 6, I keep on 1 land and miss 3 land drops in a row. Wrenn and Six couple with Barren Moor and he eventually gets an Emblem. Then I get K Commanded out of the game since I need Dismember for Plague Engineer again. No Lords, so not even a chance this game. 1-2.

Round 2 vs. Bant SnowBlade. A deck that I've had an incredible win rate against. He plays very well, but I eventually get double Risen Reef and the next turn, he scoops. In the next 2 games, he took advantage of stumbles by me and no Risen Reef. I did make a big mistake in the 3rd game when I had an option on leading with Voice of Resurgence or Risen Reef. He hadn't played a Spell Queller yet, so I felt somewhat safe and wanted enough card advantage to win even if I got a bit flooded. Nope, Spell Queller got my only Reef in the sideboarded games and he barely gets by with Spell Queller with Swords and Oko Elks. One of the best opponents I've ever played so far. 1-2.

Round 3 vs. Scales. Hit Lightning Skelemental and Phantasmal Image on turn 3 on the play to nab some key cards and his draws were very mediocre after that. He still almost came back and won. One Risen Reef would have closed the door on that, lol. In the next game, I keep on double Dismember and immediately draw the 3rd one. This stops 3 all out attacks and makes it easy to ride a couple of creatures to victory. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. 4 Color Whir. I get enough pressure and I am lucky he doesn't find Urza. In the next game, I am about to get there, but he finds the Sword/Foundry combo and I can't beat that. In the final game, I have double Dismember for 2 Urza and I am able to Flickerwisp a token and block another one with Voice or Resurgence(s). Got there! 2-1.

So, 25-6 overall. I'm still wary that maybe it's good luck, as I started with an over 80% win rate with Cragganwick Cremator before falling to around 59% near the end. (80% was after 30 something matches too!)
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

6 player WNM :(

Round 1 vs. Sultai Urza. Pro Tour player and local end boss. He hasn't played much in the past year and still is top 50 in PW points in CA. This guy is a cool guy, but has caused a lot of problems for me in tournaments in the past. In the first game, he couldn't get off 1 mana and I was able to barely kill Oko and then push the pressure as my draws got better. In the next game, he mulled to 5. I killed Oko and had a pretty strong hand. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Storm. I play Unsettled Mariner on turn 2, but don't find much else. I have a Voice of Resurgence and 2 tokens, but he Grapeshots to kill the Mariner, then flashback the Past in Flames and kill me. In the next game, I Dismember the Baral. He says okay. I know I'm %$#%. He plays Baral and Goblin Electromancer. I play 2 Unsettled Mariner, but they both die to Bolts. He Repeals my Aether Vial to slow me, then goes off with Gifts Ungiven and Rituals in hand. Strong hands that I don't beat unless I do Lightning Skelemental in addition to the Mariners. Mariners are good, but somewhat easy to overcome. :( 0-2.

Round 3 vs. Grixis Shadow. He gets Gurmag Angler, then Snap and double Death's Shadow. I get double Risen Reef, assign some Flamekin Harbingers to chump, then spam the board enough to put Omnath, Locus of the Roil into hand. He Thoughtseizes me next turn, but I spam the board with too many creatures and a Lord to swing for lethal. He kept himself at a somewhat safe 9, which prevented me from killing him sooner. In the next game, it is similar, but I Vial on 4 to Omnath in combat for exactly 11 damage. He has Gurmag Angler, Snap, and double Death's Shadow again. But I have 11 creatures when Omnath hits plus a combat step would do even more. He only has 1 mana available and I have Unsettled Mariner. After a bunch of triggers last turn, I Fulminator Mage his only Red source. 2-0.

I finish 2-1, so 27-7 overall. I nearly bought a plane ticket to go to GP Austin with my friends. I would bring Amulet Titan and this deck, but I was leaning more toward this deck. I got 3 Dismember, 2 Collector Ouphe, and 2 Ingot Chewer for Urza based decks. Oko, Thief of Crowns is still hard, but doable.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

8 round MNM. I wanted to run Amulet, but I overheard some talking about playing Shadow and I'm okay on playing that matchup.

Round 1 vs. Bogles. He wrecks me with multiple Kor Spiritdancer. I Flickerwisp twice to drop off Daybreak Coronet, but the 3rd one kills me. In the next game, it is similar, but he doesn't have the 3rd one and I put so many bodies on the field, it gets him. In the next game, I punted pretty badly. I forgot to bring back a Voice of Resurgence for lethal, then he had a 2nd Daybreak Coronet. I end up getting lethal after I Flickerwisp the Coronet for a bunch of lethal attackers. Got there. Whew! 2-1.

Round 2 vs. Storm. I am on the play and go turn 3 Lightning Skelemental, Phantasmal Image on it, and swing. I finish him off soon thereafter. In the next game, I do Unsettled Mariner and he Bolts a Skelemental. Then he goes off and flashback the Bolt for Unsettled Mariner to then Grapeshot me for lethal. In the last game, I get Skelemental, then Thunderkin Awakener to keep getting him. He tries to rebuild with Aria of Flame. I have Flickerwisp (that I sided for Blood Moon, but he later told me they don't run them anymore). The Aria probably wasn't enough anyway, especially with 3 Manamorphose in the yard, but I completely sealed it with that lucky draw anyway. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. Humans. Probably my easiest round. I keep on an Aether Vial, 3 drop hand, and am too slow. On the play, Champ into Lieutenant into Mantis Rider into Reflector Mage, GGs. In the next game, I mull to 4. I make a mistake of keeping Ingot Chewer instead of Thunderkin Awakener to potentially bring back the Lightning Skelemental. I lose fairly handily after double Meddling Mage. I Dismember one and Voice of Resurgence after finally peeling a land. Then Lightning Skelemental, but Champ into Lieutenant into Reflector Mage get it done as I'm stuck with just drawing lands now. The first 2 lands were good because Voice into Skelemental, but all I have is the Ingot Chewer and I'm dead. Pretty upset with losing to Humans - the one Tribal deck that I feel like I should beat. 0-2.

2-1, so I'm 29-8 now.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it took a bit of time, but I read all your reports from beginning to end. You convinced me to put 4 Risen Reef onto my scg shopping cart. Don't have an elemental deck, but that card seems to be one of the core of this, so it would be good to get a set now.

impressed you can beat Grixis Shadow and Bogles with these elementals. I never imagined it to be possible.

is Nova Chaser too slow for this deck, or is skelemental just so much better? Made the comparison, since both are high power threats for their cmc.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
it took a bit of time, but I read all your reports from beginning to end. You convinced me to put 4 Risen Reef onto my scg shopping cart. Don't have an elemental deck, but that card seems to be one of the core of this, so it would be good to get a set now.

impressed you can beat Grixis Shadow and Bogles with these elementals. I never imagined it to be possible.

is Nova Chaser too slow for this deck, or is skelemental just so much better? Made the comparison, since both are high power threats for their cmc.
Thanks. At the core, Elementals is essentially very similar to Humans. Both of them have a good Shadow matchup because they go wide. Plague Engineer is more of a pain for Elementals than Humans, but then either way you're relying on drawing Dismember or enough Lords.

Shadow should be a fairly easy matchup. I actually learned something, at least in theory, that we side out Lightning Skelemental vs. Shadow. I don't really want to be attacking someone low enough for them to drop a HUGE Shadow. I want to create a board where I can swing for much more than lethal (with the help of Omnath, Locus of the Roil).

Bogles seemed very tough for me, but Wispmare was drawn and I have Phantasmal Image as well. We can't beat a strong Bogles draw and experienced Bogles players will wait until they have multiple Auras on the Bogle before putting on Daybreak Coronet (so just one Flickerwisp/Wispmare won't make them fall off). Bogles also has some level of variance, so we can prey on that. Still, I feel I just mostly got lucky. He barely drew Rancor and that's a key card.

Yes, I think Nova Chaser is just too slow. Lightning Skelemental has a dual purpose of making the opponent discard. It basically the deck's Thoughtseize, albeit a weaker one usually. Probably the biggest reason for running Lightning Skelemental is also the relationship between it and Thunderkin Awakener, being able to bring it back time and time again. Nova Chaser is funny. I am biased against it. I used to play against those decks sometimes at FNM (and once at a Block GP) when I ran Faeries or Merfolk. Never had a single problem with those decks, although they were cool as hell.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

14 person WNM.

Round 1 vs. Jund Lands. This wasn't really fair. His deck was hardly optimized, but had some cool cards. He played some Red removal and some Fatal Pushes, but I swung with the rest of my guys to get there. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. 4 Color Shadow. This guy draws a pretty nutty hand to be 1 card away from winning. He has 1 card in hand, which I'm assuming is Temur Battle Rage. He draws, pays the 2 life he needs for the shockland, then swings for 22 after Temur Battle Rage with his last card. He said that he had the shockland, but drew the Temur Battle Rage. I doubt it because he missed a land drop on turn 3 I think and I don't remember Bauble being activated on those turns. In the next one, he tanks because there literally is no way out of my hand. I have 3 Lords. He has turn 3 Plague Engineer and a Dismember. But it's not enough and I swing for lethal. In the next game, I wrote down the best 11 cards he could have (by turn 4). He kills me with the best 13 cards he could have and kills me on turn 6, using each and every single card with Temur Battle Rage again. He probably didn't realize that if he had one less Dismember, the one fewer Lord that he killed would allow me to swing with Thunderkin to get Fulminator Mage to destroy his Red source. That's what I was looking at, but double Dismember blew me out and also killed my Lightning Skelemental at the time. I don't think I can beat that, especially drawing land and Aether Vial on the final 2 turns before that Battle Rage card kills me again. I feel if you draw Temur Battle Rage every single game you play someone, you probably should stay on this deck. It doesn't get better than that. 1-2.

Round 3 vs. RG Breach. In the first game, I get 2 Lightning Skelemental and after he resolves Prime Time, I swing for lethal. Thunderkin Awakener is insane! In the next game, I have 2 Unsettled Mariner, which slow him down. He may have made a mistake with Field of the Dead. He didn't realize that the 7 lands have to have different names or maybe he was just upset. He hadn't played in at least a month, but this game me an outlet to beat him. On the final turn, I tick up Vial to 4 and need to draw a Flamekin Harbinger to win. I don't, but Flickerwisp is close. He has swung with a Titan and replayed a 2nd one. But he didn't get many triggers from Valakut. I swing, bringing back Lightning Skelemental. He blocks the Thunderkin Awakener instead of the Lightning Skelemental and I Vial in Omnath, Locus of the Roil for more than lethal. Had he blocked the Skelemental, the Omnath in response would have had him at 1 life after damage. I think it was definitely a mistake, although maybe he thought with 1 Mariner still in play that he couldn't get enough damage through. He had like 4 Valakut, 10 lands, had to pay Summoner's Pact, maybe I had it anyway? I was at 14. 2-0.

I finish 2-1 again. I should be happy because it's a good record, but I've become accustomed to better with this deck. Now I'm 31-9
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

12 person FNM.

Round 1 vs. Tron. I play the guy I carpooled with, right after we had been playtesting Pioneer. The first game is interesting. He mulls to 4 against me. He has been mulliganing a LOT and I mean A LOT against me. His average hand size could very well be low 5s against me in the past few months. He keeps on 2 Tron lands and peels another. He gets Karn, TGC and Trinisphere to slow me down (since Aether Vial is turned off). I have a few tough choices of what to attack after he also gets Karn Liberated the next turn. I get a few Lightning Skelemental hits in, but he has Ensnaring Bridge off a 2nd Karn. In the end, I put some cards together to get lethal on him after he drew 6 lands in a row. In the next game, he mulls to 5. I search out Fulminator Mage with Flamekin Harbinger. I do it and then do a few Lightning Skelementals to finish him after a Flickerwisp gets a 2nd Fulminator Mage, but he has Karn, TGC and finds Crucible of Worlds. So I am on a clock, but Skelemental into Image on it to swing for lethal. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Jund. In the first game after some discard, I'm able to land a Risen Reef. He doesn't have the answer and I play a 2nd one and there's no coming back from that. He did do a Bloodbraid Elf and I just prayed that it wouldn't be Maelstrom Pulse because he did that to me last time. In the next game, he does turn 3 Plague Engineer and it takes forever to try to find an answer. I made a huge mistake of attacking Lily with Omnath, Locus of the Roil, thinking I'd never draw another land, but I drew 3 land straight, which would have allowed for +1/+1 counters, which are good vs. the Engineer. In the final game, he does a Liliana of the Veil with my Risen Reef in play. I Vial in Incandescent Soulstoke and tank for a short time. I decide to keep the Risen Reef, smartly (I don't know what I was considering) and 2 turns later, I buried (BURIED) him in card advantage and board advantage. He scooped before I even had to attack and he never does that. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. BUG Shadow. He gets some key discard at the right moments, but my hand is STAAAACKED. He loses to a Lightning Skelemental that he knew about and some other creatures. Still could have Vialed in Incandescent Soulstoke for more damage with Mariner also protecting my stuff. In the next game, he has key removal at key times and turn 3 Plague Engineer to slow me. Double Gurmag Angler get it done when he Surgical Extracts Mariner, then Risen Reef, hitting one from hand. I draw mostly lands and can't put anything together. In the final game, I flood out after Fatal Push into double Dismember and his Shadow goes the distance. Can't draw anything to contend with that, although with those removal spells gone, I assume Lightning Skelemental or Thunderkin Awakener for it would have done the last 6 needed to kill him. Shadow hits 3 times with some chumps in between. 1-2.

Round 4 vs. Blue Moon. In the first game, I reluctantly Fulminator Mage his Steam Vents and he gets stuck on all Blue lands. He plays only Spell Pierce, Remand, and Brazen Borrower from there. I can beat those cards. In the next game, he has Blood Moon, but has to tap his only non Island, a Mountain. I Vial in the Wispmare to destroy it and then cast Lightning Skelemental and after another one comes out next turn with Phantasmal Image on it, he scoops. No Bolts in hand! 2-0.

I finish 3-1, so 34-10 now. I can't be mad at the deck; it's given me some of my best draws in the past year. But I really wanted to get to that 75% win threshold.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

nice, I believe in the lightning skelemental now. I was previously thinking the black mana put's strain making the manabase 4 color.. but the deck seems to be working fine with vials. The discard effect and ability to be reived by that other elemental makes the skel a good choice for this deck.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
nice, I believe in the lightning skelemental now. I was previously thinking the black mana put's strain making the manabase 4 color.. but the deck seems to be working fine with vials. The discard effect and ability to be reived by that other elemental makes the skel a good choice for this deck.
Yes, Lightning Skelemental is a must for this deck. I even have come to the conclusion that I don't side them out vs. Shadow. The reason is that I can sometimes sneak one by. I just have to be super careful not to facilitate their life loss with Skelemental, but I think they're worth having in the matchup.

I'm always thinking about how to find a Skelemental (Flamekin Harbinger), how to copy a Skelemental (Phantasmal Image), or how to revive a Skelemental (Thunderkin Awakener) in order to make my opponent's hand much lighter. This gives them fewer outs, usually just the top of the deck and maybe 1-2 cards in hand, to beat me. Skelemental is mostly about forcing damage so that you get them to discard. The 6 does end up mattering quite a bit, but the discard is usually my goal. There are times when you want to save a Lightning Skelemental so that you can Vial in Unsettled Mariner as well to tax the opponent's removal (opponents that like to leave just 1 mana up to kill a potential Skelemental).

I always feel like each component is integral to the deck, but these 3 are the most important because in my opinion, they win certain and specific matchups - Risen Reef, Lightning Skelemental, and Fulminator Mage. Without any of those, the deck is way worse. I actually think the deck is close to Tier 1 capability, but without those it drops to low Tier 2 or high Tier 3.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

21 person Modern for Staples, so a much more competitive tournament. This is a tournament where I am not clearly the best player.

Round 1 vs. Bant Soulherder. Two guys that I know well showed up at about the same time I did. I was sad that I didn't carpool with them, although it was a last minute decision to drive 75 mi. for a Staples tournament. I talked to the other one right before the tournament and then I played his friend, a guy who I've talked to a lot about Soulherder. He was my inspiration for playing it as well, because when I played Hogaak, I nearly lost to him, lol. Well, I get some Risen Reefs and then send Lightning Skelemental and Image at him for lethal. He had just started stabilizing, but I topdecked Skelemental to go with the Image I had held onto since the beginning of the game. In the next game, we both spam the board, but after I have all 3 Incandescent Soulstoke out, 2 Thunderkin Awakener to bring back 2 Lightning Skelementals, and Omnath, Locus of the Roil and Phantasmal Image with Aether Vial on 2 and 4, I swing with everything and show him the Omnath and Image. I was super close to decking myself with Risen Reefs, but the damage goes before the draw if I want. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Titanshift. This is the other guy who I should have carpooled with. Dryad of the Ilysian Grove shines here. After a mulligan to 6, he goldfishes me and kills me. Titan on turn 3. In the next game, I keep a 6 with 2 lands. On the turn before he cast Prime Time, he played a land, leaving himself with 2 cards in hand. I breathe. If I draw the 3rd land (or 1st land draw of the game), I cast Lightning Skelemental #1 and make him discard those. Then he's top decking and I have a chance. It's ironic because he's on Team Top Deck Keep and I used to be. But I don't draw the 3rd land and he kills me. Five 3 drops in hand... 0-2.

Round 3 vs. Grixis Shadow. In the first game, he does some Thought Scours and Mishra's Baubles, but scoops on turn 3, saying that he had 5 lands in hand. :o In the next game, he beat me without Temur Battle Rage. He had turn 3 double Shadow and Gurmag Angler, emptying his hand. I made a HUGE punt here, as I got Incandescent Soulstoke with Flamekin Harbinger instead of Lightning Skelemental and end up with either 5 or 6 damage (depending on what I do with Thunderkin Awakener) and he's at 7. :( In the next game, I made him discard 4 cards, but he managed to save Plague Engineer. He would have had a chance if he had drawn land on the final turn, but it turns out that I had Incandescent Soulstoke on top, so it's really up in the air from there. 2-1.

Round 4 vs. Jund. Win-and-in? In the first game, he puts pressure on me, but I have Lihgtning Skelemental to "come out of nowhere" and swing him for lethal. In the next game, he went Thoughtseize into a 5/6 Tarmogoyf into Liliana of the Veil into double Bloodbraid Elf. I prayed that Bloodbraid Elf didn't find anything good, but they did. He slaughtered me this game. In the final game, it was super close, but I Fulminator Maged him a total of 3 times, starting on turn 3 and 4. I was pretty lucky to draw Dismember for a Goyf too. He said that he would have won had he upticked the Liliana of the Veil (he kept Maelstrom Pulse and Bloodbraid Elf in hand). I would have discarded my 3rd Fulminator Mage and kept the Lightning Skelemental to make him discard the last card, but instead he lost both cards and the Fulminator Mage killed another LotV before I drew a few Risen Reefs and buried him. 2-1.

Round 5 vs. Burn. I have to play it out because I'm 7th place and 8th place is my opponent from Round 2. In the first game, I do Voice of Resurgence and get a Lightning Skelemental hit to discard Lightning Helix and Boros Charm. He doesn't have enough cards for lethal and forgets that I keep swinging back with the Voice token and kill him easily. In the next game, he mulls to 4. He has Rest in Peace, but forgets to play it before a Goblin Guide swings into a Voice of Resurgence, so I get the x/x token. It's pretty easy from there. 2-0.

Top 8 vs. Titanshift. Same guy as Round 2, who sneaks in because I beat the 2-1-1 and my Round 2 opponent (his friend) loses to my Round 4 opponent. He sneaks in past the Round 4 opponent on Tiebreakers. Super tough round! In the first game, I Lightning Skelemental him and start putting some pressure. He has a turn to draw Prime Time, but doesn't and I get there. In the next game, he does a Scapeshift for 7 Zombies and I don't draw anything that can beat that. I play the Lord and try to get there, but the Dryad of Ilysian Grove comes out and blocks a Lightning Skelemental, along with an Arboreal Grazer. 7 toughness is going to be a problem. In the final game, it is nearly the same as Round 2, but I make a huge mistake. I'm super unsure about what the correct play is. He has 2 cards in his hand from the beginning of the game. I assume one is Anger of the Gods or Beast Within and the other is Prime Time. He has 5 land. I have 2 Voice of Resurgence and a Flamekin Harbinger (for Fulm Mage) in play. He has an 0/3 Grazer which has save him approximately 1 million damage. I do draw a 3rd land finally and do Fulminator Mage (I have 2 Phantasmal Image in hand, so I can copy Fulm Mage and put him in a damper). But I feel he will top deck a land (he missed a land drop earlier, so I know he doesn't have land in hand). I use the Mage cuz I'm scared of "draw land, play Prime Time from hand." He doesn't draw a land the next turn, so I was puuuuuunished. I could have had 2 Mage, then sacrificed one and then copies the other the next turn. So basically I would have had an Incandescent Soulstoke after he used Anger of the Gods from hand. I may have won. But I don't have something good to copy and he finally does draw the land and plays Prime Time. I scoop after drawing because I have no real outs. He's at 11, so only 2 Skelemental beat him and I have none and can't get to 5 mana the next turn. Really rough finish for me since he barely got in on tiebreakers over his friend because his friend lost to my Round 4 Jund opponent, who then finished 9th. 1-2.

I go 4-2, so 40-12 now. I think I may play this over Amulet tomorrow in the Team Event. :smirk: Turns out the Titanshift player from my area won 1st place. :grin: So it turned out well. :cool:
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

you were so close. Well, there is always next time.
And the deck looks like it's performing well.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
you were so close. Well, there is always next time.
And the deck looks like it's performing well.
I'm not gonna lie; that made it hurt more.

I just felt that if I didn't use the Fulminator Mage right away, he would peel a land and play the Titan from hand. But, I had 2 Phantasmal Image in hand and I think that they may have been less useful without a Fulminator Mage in play. I just felt that destroying that land gives me a turn or 2 to try to find Lightning Skelemental to put him in top deck mode. But I don't think it would have been possible to have gotten Lightning Skelemental and Image on it because I was short on mana.

The other games where I lost, keeping 2 land hands, are nothing new. In the beginning, I thought that it was literally the only way I can lose, but I learned that the deck is not unbeatable. It just happened a bunch today.

Team Trios tournament for a LOT of money. My teammates were on Legacy 4 Color Snow and Pioneer Mono Black Aggro. There were at least 15 teams. It was PACKED.

Round 1 vs. UW Control. This was the guy I played at the win a foil Wrenn and Six tournament in the finals and beat him when I played Amulet. I Fulminator Mage his 4th mana source in game 1 and he doesn't get off 3 lands in the first game. In the next game, he stabilizes, mostly because I had 2 Dismember for potential Monastery Mentor, in hand. I still had a few turns to draw a Lightning Skelemental and win, but I don't and he does double Timely Reinforcements to gain life and only 3 creatures. I draw lands and lose. In the final game, my teammates lost, so it didn't matter. We play it out since we're almost done. He taps out for Lyra Dawnbringer and I have 2 Lord and an Unsettled Mariner in play. If I could have drawn an Image because I had another Lord in hand, I could have swung past it. If I had Dismember, which I sided back out on the play, I would have won easily. But he Cryptics and Cryptics while swinging and he ends up getting there in the end. I was looking for that Risen Reef to get back in the game. 2 Path to Exile in game 1, 6 in game 2, and 3 in game 3. :( 1-2.

Round 2 vs. Grixis Shadow. Interesting game. I think it would have been close if he had Temur Battle Rage, but I have too many threats and his last card in hand is not removal. In the next game, he has 3 removal and 3 creatures and on the draw, my hand is too slow. In the last game, I get an early Unsettled Mariner, he gets stuck on mana, then I get an unsurmountable board. Then I fetch Omnath, Locus of the Roil and he scoops after casting a Thoughtseize with 1 mana up while I had double Unsettled Mariner. He doesn't even pay the 1 because he knows he lost. I have Omnath for a lethal "fireball" in hand. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. Mono Red Prowess. There really wasn't much to see here. I kept a pair of 2 land hands and never got off 2 lands. It took him a while to kill me still. In game 2, I had Aether Vial, but he Abraded it on 2 and all I could have done was Vial in Image, copying a Thunderkin Awakener. Not worth it. Never drew a 3rd land again. Interesting. 0-2.

I go 1-2 and we go 0-3 in total. I am now 41-14 with the deck. I am starting to realize slowly that after a big start with a new deck, I start to go downhill quickly. Still, it felt great to have my first 4-0s at events in over half a year (except once with Bogles).
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

$5K Invitational for Collector Legion in Gardena, CA.

Rounds 1-3 had me 2-1 for Pioneer with Mono Black Aggro. Lost a super close Games 2 and 3 against UB Inverter and beat UW 2-0 and 2-1. So, all I have to do is 3-0 my best format. Easy, right?

Round 4 vs. 4 Color Whir. In the first game, I had Lightning Skelemental and Image to make him discard his hand. His next 2 draws? Urza and Thopter Foundry (he had Sword of the Meek already in play). In game 2, he got stuck on 1 land and then 2 lands for too long as I had 4 hate cards in hand, so kept jamming a 1/1 and a 2/2 turn after turn. Dismembered an Emry and killed him. In the final game, I just have too many answers again and am about to get Thunderkin Awakener/Spitebellows on board, but he did Nihil Spellbomb. I had Ingot Chewer in my hand for potential Ensnaring Bridge shenanigans. 2-1.

Round 5 vs. Infect. I'm paired down. He's 2-1-1. I'm 3-1. Only I have a chance for top 8. He wants to play because he feels like he has an outside chance (possible DQ?) and to help teammates (even though only 1 teammate is still in it at 4-0 and is going to double draw). In the first game, he plays turn 2 Blighted Agent on the play. I play my 2nd land and pass with Vial on 1 in play. He kills me on his turn 3. In the next game, he got stuck on 1 land and I Dismembered 2 Glistener Elf and 1 Noble Hierarch. I did Spitebellows on a 3rd Glistener Elf, so I guess his hand was Scale Up and 2-4 Mutagenic Growth (probably a protect spell too). In the final game, I assume he has 3-4 creatures to play around removal. This is the best way to beat me, along with Blighted Agent of course. He kills me after I draw lands, but can't even cast Lightning Skelemental because the 1 of Plains. Good match! I just can't beat Infect with any deck I play. I probably have won around 10% of my matches vs. Infect since Modern started and not less than 50% vs. any other deck. My 2nd worst since 2011 when Modern started was probably Twin at 50%. FWIW, I've won 65% of my Modern matches, so even though I'm guessing, my guess is most likely somewhat accurate. I am out of top 8 contention. 1-2.

Round 6 vs. Devoted Devastation. I play vs. their team's presumed best player (although I personally have it close between him and 1 other guy). This guy has beaten me a lot, although I feel a lot of it has to do with the matchups. Well, excuses aside, I Skelemental his last 2 cards and he doesn't draw the other 2 combo pieces. In the next game, I lost on turn 3 with Giver of Runes backup for my Dismember. In the last game, I lost on turn 3. GGs. Just the way I wanted to lose. ;) 1-2.

I go 1-2 with Elementals built to beat Shadow. Obviously I don't play against Shadow, but I still actually would hate playing against Infect even more so with Amulet Titan. That matchup has always plagued me, although Infect has always plagued me anyway. I have literally played Shadow and made them discard everything I needed to and lost to top decks, so I feel that Infect will always beat me. Also had a game where I Anger of the Gods X 2 and triple Lightning Bolt and lost to creature #7 two turns later with Titanshift. I actually thought I was going to win that game. I lost with 5 lands in play and 1 Prime Time in hand.

42-16 now. Getting much worse. I have done well at the FNM level, but probably closer to 55% at the Comp REL level. So maybe this deck isn't producing the wins I need? I'm very unsure.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

boneclockharmony

Post by boneclockharmony » 4 years ago

Do you think Leyline of the Void is an effective card vs elementals? Obviously it isn't like the #1 hate card, but if we have it in our sideboard is it something you think should come in?

Someone locally picked up the deck, and I haven't played against it much yet, but it seems quite solid. The leyline comment is coming from the perspective of Rb Goblins and a janky UR combo-control deck I run.
EDIT: And I guess mono red prowess, but I doubt prowess wants to bring in leyline.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

boneclockharmony wrote:
4 years ago
Do you think Leyline of the Void is an effective card vs elementals? Obviously it isn't like the #1 hate card, but if we have it in our sideboard is it something you think should come in?

Someone locally picked up the deck, and I haven't played against it much yet, but it seems quite solid. The leyline comment is coming from the perspective of Rb Goblins and a janky UR combo-control deck I run.
EDIT: And I guess mono red prowess, but I doubt prowess wants to bring in leyline.
Good question. I think a lot of it has to do with what you're trying to do. If you're the beatdown and you are taking out cards that slow you down for Leyline of the Void, then I would say absolutely not. You don't want to slow your beatdown role because this deck is basically a slower Aggro deck. It is basically a less disruptive, but bigger card advantage version of Humans.

For Rb Goblins, that's tough because I think that you ARE the beatdown. You need to kill us as quickly as you can or combo (the best route) us. If it gets the the late game, outside of running Goblin Ringleaders and some of those goblins that muck the board (Sling Gang and Pashalik Mons), we are going to get there.

For UR Combo Control, I would once again say that you are the beatdown. It may be applicable here, but I doubt it. You have Lightning Bolts for Thunderkin Awakener. You should have good ways to kill it.

For Mono Red Prowess, you are most definitely the beatdown and I would not do anything to mess with that. Even cards like Blood Moon are questionable on the draw. I would say that Blood Moon may be fine on the play, but not otherwise.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

boneclockharmony

Post by boneclockharmony » 4 years ago

Thanks :) The UR deck is this so it doesn't really have anything better to bring in than LotV tbh (found this deck randomly on discord and thought it looked fun, definitely janky).

Goblins did feel like the toughest call, there are definitely some other sideboard cards that might be better (chainwhirler, cratermaker, blood moon, and possibly plague engineer or kolaghan's command if we run them).

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I played in a 6 person Tuesday Night Magic.

Round 1 vs. Humans. He mulled to 5 in the last game and he had a solid hand, but only 1 Champion of the Parish in each game. This was fairly easy for me to overcome when I just had to worry about Mantis Rider. I went to 3 life in game 2, but swung back with Lightning Skelemental, Image on Skelemental, and my dudes for lethal. The next game, I stabilized earlier with Flickerwisp stopping his Mantis Rider from attacking. I need to dodge another Rider on his top deck. He draws Horizon land. Now I want to dodge Thalia's Lieutenant. I do and did not see a single one. Lucky. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. BUG Snow. I keep a 2 land, 6 card hand. I get stuck, so only 2 Voice of Resurgence are in there. Finally he kills them both and their leftovers. He kills me with Abominable Treefolk; pretty embarrassing. But in the next 2 games, I draw Voice of Resurgence and after Dead of Winter, the tokens and the creatures in my hand that have haste swing to kill him. He mulled to 5 in the last game and he made a bad block in game 2. I still had it because I had the Lord in my hand, but anything else wouldn't have killed him unless I drew a creature and had a creature for the final card in my hand before draw step. He was upset at his mistake. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. 8 Whack. I barely stabilize with Risen Reefs, but I mistakenly went to 3 life. If he draws his 2nd Bolt or 1st Goblin Grenade of the game, I lose. He doesn't and I swing back for 17 damage. He kills me on turn 4 in the next game after I put Unsettled Mariner and Incandescent Soulstoke. Goblin Piledriver, Legion Loyalist, and Goblin Warchief with another 2 Goblin tokens kill me. In the final game, he swings me low, but the block with Voice of Resurgence makes the token a 4/4. A big play for me was Phantasmal Image on his Goblin Chainwhirler to kill his Legion Loyalist. I untap and caste and Vial 2 Lightning Skelemental and swing him for 21 damage. GGs. 2-1.

45-16 now with the deck. ;)
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

. He kills me with Abominable Treefolk; pretty embarrassing.
it's "cool" to be killed a treefolk. heh, just kidding. At least it's not the 1/1 snake that killed ya. :grin:

congrats on the good finish.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
. He kills me with Abominable Treefolk; pretty embarrassing.
it's "cool" to be killed a treefolk. heh, just kidding. At least it's not the 1/1 snake that killed ya. :grin:

congrats on the good finish.
Lol, yep. I was a bit perturbed, but I couldn't be too mad. My deck was literally not producing.

Another 6 person tournament - different place.

Round 1 vs. Bant Snow Control. Not much to say here. I am lucky to draw 1 of 2 main deck Fulminator Mage and he gets mana screwed and scoops. The next game is similar. He turn 3 Uro, but no extra land. I Fulminator Mage and Phantasmal Image now that he's tapped out. He is left with a Field of Ruin. Scoooop. Just dumb luck on my part. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Eldrazi Taxes. He beats me in the middle game with turn 2 on the play Tidehollow Sculler into turn 3 Thought-Knot Seer into Reality Smasher, then another. He missed lethal on an attack after I put out a bunch of Incandescent Soulstoke with Risen Reefs in play, but he has lethal next turn as well, only by 1 life. Sad times. But in the 1st and 3rd games, I get Risen Reefs out, he is forced to Path to Exile other creatures, a Lightning Skelemental hits him in game 3, and I get way too much value. 2-1.

Round 3 vs. Tron. Fulminator Mage after he got Karn, then killed Karn. Kept Maging him with Incandescent Soulstoke, Thunderkin Awakener bringing back Fulminator Mage every turn. In the next game, he misses Tron, but has Map to get it next turn. I Fulminator Mage and Vial in Image, copying Mage. Sacrifice the Image to destroy a land, he Dismembers on my Fulm, so I destroy another land. I draw Flamekin Harbinger and search up Thunderkin Awakener because I have Incandescent Soulstoke to bring back Fulminator Mage every turn. Awakener is a 2/3 with the Soulstoke in play, bring back a 2/2 Fulminator Mage, hit for 3, then destroy a land. Ugh... 2-0.

I go 3-0 again and got to 48-16. 75% win percentage, YEEEES!!! But almost all of this is at Regular REL. I would say my Comp REL record with this deck is around 60%. :(
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

14 person Fetches staples tournament.

Round 1 vs. Bant Snow Control. The games are fairly slow as he draws pretty solidly, but Risen Reef wins the game. 2-0.

Round 2 vs. Coretapper Tron. He mulls to 5 and I Skelemental and Image him. He scoops immediately. I thought he was Tron and I sideboarded such as. In the next game, it is much more of the same. I Fulminator Mage him, but he gets Tron anyway and casts Chalice of the Void on 3. But ... I have Cavern of Souls. I get there fairly easily as I drew pretty nutty. This guy made the top 4. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Eldrazi Tron. He wins the die roll and gets Tron on turn 3 in both games, playing card after card that stops me. I also draw pretty poorly in game 2. 0-2.

Round 4 vs. Bant Snowblade. I drew a pretty nutty hand with Risen Reef off Flamekin Harbinger and he can't find Path to Exile too often. 2-0.

Round 5 vs. Jund. He wanted to play it out cuz he was 4-0. After he kills 2 Voice of Resurgence, I do Lightning Skelemental and Image on Skelly and swing for 20. In the next game, Plague Engineer and Wrenn and Six get me while I draw fairly weakly. Lots of Fatal Push and Lightning Bolts, just like all 3 games. The next game is similar, but he gets too low to do Kroxa and I have lethal on board with Flamekin Harbinger, Risen Reef, and Incandescent Soulstoke. I draw more and it's easy from here. 2-1.

Top 4 vs. Eldrazi Tron. He doesn't get those Tron plays and I Fulminator Mage, Image his Thought-Knot Seer to take another and Skelemental him. He can't stop the bleeding and he gets a game loss for not listing his 15 card sideboard and the Judge checking him. I am curious, as he is a store player. I doubt he tried something, but maybe he did since Karn, the Great Creator has a "wish" SB list. 2-0.

Finals vs. Jund. He scoops because he wants to drive home. Each of us gets the 2 Scalding Tarn prize anyway, so it doesn't matter much. GGs. 2-0.

I finish 6-1 overall at 1st place.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

it's always a challenge playing aggro against Jund. nice, you still got there.

and also good thing the judge caught your tron opponent.

congrats on the win! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”