[DECK]Elementals[/DECK]

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
it's always a challenge playing aggro against Jund. nice, you still got there.

and also good thing the judge caught your tron opponent.

congrats on the win! :)
Yeah, it's really odd. I don't even know if he was "trying" to do something or he just came late and forgot to list the SB. This is 1 of 2 of the top Southern CA teams that I would NOT expect to try something like this. But I don't know this particular team player that much. I've only played him a long, long time ago in the top 4 of a Staples tournament when he was on foil Affinity and I barely beat him with Titanshift.

But regardless of whether he tried to or not, it is the correct call. At Comp REL, not listing a SB is a game loss and I had won the first game already, so the match is over 2-0.
Standard - Will pick up what's good when paper starts
Pre Modern - Do not own anymore
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Legacy - No more cards, will rebuy Sneak Show when I can
Limited - Will start when paper starts
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

6 person Sunday Magic tournament.

Round 1 vs. Burn. I mulled a 6 lander and a 1 lander. I keep 2 lands and put one on the bottom. I hope to draw a land this game. I don't draw a land and he gets there. Some creatures and triple Lightning Bolt. In the next game, I get Healer of the Glade X 2. I draw Incandescent Soulstoke and then easily win from there. He had no outs the final 2 turns to kill me. The next game is similar, with double Healer of the Glade and Phantasmal Image X 2, 1 on Healer and 1 on a 2nd Incandescent Soulstoke for lethal. He had no outs at that point, as he needed to play Land #4 and double Boros Charm me, but he only had 1 card in hand and 1 draw step to draw 3 cards to exact lethal me. Nope. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. Seismic Swans. In the first game, I have no idea what he's doing, but he drops Swans of Bryn Argoll and then I know. Two turns later, I kill him, luckily before he can activate Seismic Assault for much. He had Treasure Hunt to fuel them. I LOOOVE this combo and played it in Standard to 1st place finishes at FNM the last 2 months. :grin: In the next game, I have 2 lands, but have Aether Vial. But I have double Dismember, so I leave it up and just Vial stuff. He does Anger of the Gods. I don't dare tap my mana because Swans and Dispel will kill me (he now has Seismic Assault in play). I end up getting 2 Unsettled Mariner, then some Lightning Skelementals to finish him off. Got there. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Combo Goblins. He didn't draw Goblin Ringleader or Goblin Matron in either game and my hands are pretty solid. I get infinite Risen Reef triggers until I can muster lethal. In the last game, he had 3 draw steps to draw Murderous Redcap to kill me, although the Putrid Goblin was one of those draw steps. 2-0.

I go 3-0, so now 57-17 with the deck! 77% :o
Pioneer - DEAD
Modern - Jund Sacrifice, Amulet, Elementals, Trollementals, BR Asmo/Goryo's, Yawmoth Chord
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

congrats again. Amazing you could still find people to play with despite the virus.

Got a good laugh seeing you found someone using putrid goblin! xD
Maybe I should suggest to my goblin player friend to try using that card too. We playtested yesterday my bgx vs. his gobs, I won just barely at 4 life left after board wiping him twice.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
congrats again. Amazing you could still find people to play with despite the virus.

Got a good laugh seeing you found someone using putrid goblin! xD
Maybe I should suggest to my goblin player friend to try using that card too. We playtested yesterday my bgx vs. his gobs, I won just barely at 4 life left after board wiping him twice.
Thank you. I have a goal of going 18-8 or better to eclipse 100 matches at over 75% win percentage. :grin: Not sure if I'll get there.

Yes, Putrid Goblin, Grumgully, the Generous, and Skirk Prospector together are infinite Red mana and with Murderous Redcap it is infinite damage. I guess technically he doesn't really need Putrid Goblin.

*Regarding the virus, I believe that the media is over hyping this flu sickness and people are reacting to it. It's honestly the same as always, take a shower, wash your hands, don't cough on people, and try to be hygienic. I'll leave it at that before I get started...
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm rather familiar with the combo, because have been helping a friend playtest his deck. Although after some tests, he decided to drop the combo because adding green to the deck do too much damage. Well, his deck is still aggressive even without the combo. We've been fine tuning it for weeks... although had to stop because of the pandemic.

about the virus.. I don't like to speak seriously, but the situation is very bad over here. The borders of the city are closed. Offices are closed, there is a community quarantine going on. 2 people died very close to where I live. We are hoping praying this pestilence does not come to our house. This may sound grim, but if I suddenly disappear.. then this China virus got me.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I'm rather familiar with the combo, because have been helping a friend playtest his deck. Although after some tests, he decided to drop the combo because adding green to the deck do too much damage. Well, his deck is still aggressive even without the combo. We've been fine tuning it for weeks... although had to stop because of the pandemic.

about the virus.. I don't like to speak seriously, but the situation is very bad over here. The borders of the city are closed. Offices are closed, there is a community quarantine going on. 2 people died very close to where I live. We are hoping praying this pestilence does not come to our house. This may sound grim, but if I suddenly disappear.. then this China virus got me.
Can you show me a deck list? As an opponent, I fear the combo, but if the Aggro portion puts just as much pressure, then that is something to deal with. I assumed that the addition of colors could make it tough for the deck, but up until the very last game against this opponent, it never affected him.

I'm sorry to hear that. My son's mom and my son are coming back from a week's vacation in Quezon City early because the airports are supposed to shut down. I'm picking them up from LAX in 5 hours from now. They had planned on staying longer, but the situation... Yep. I pray that you are okay. You are the only person that gives me feedback here and one of the few, even counting the Modern Banlist thread that responds to me, so I appreciate that. We may not always agree with what we say, but we can be civil about it. (and sorry if I ever get too aggressive)
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

I hope you and your family will be safe as well. :)

it will be off topic in this thread, so pm'd the goblin decklist that I've been playing against for some weeks now.. no, that's actually almost 3 months of playtesting already. I've been helping him buy gob cards from scg, because he does not have a paypal or credit card.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Yesterday, I talked to the creator of this deck - my inspiration from looking at his list on mtgtop8 - Glenn Davis. I talked to him via Facebook Messenger after I saw him make a thread for references on FB.

It was really cool. We didn't talk much about strategy, but he did tell me that he is doing more Pioneer now and has a Pioneer Elementals list. He is using the new Thassa to blink Master of Waves and has Judge confirmation that the elementals won't die due to the Master being gone for a split second. Very cool!
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

making multiple elementals look like a game winning move if repeated enough times.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Post by FoodChainGoblins » 3 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
just dropping by to say @FoodChainGoblins elemental deck is good. Have enjoyed reading the tournament reports he posted awhile ago.
I just had a pretty bad experience with the deck recently. So I decided to do a donor league where I pay $25 to have a Streamer play Elementals (squachief). He ended up facing some odd decks and lost 3 matches (two in game 3 and one in game 2) to a top decked removal spell when he went all-in for the win after the opponent with 0 cards in hand had drawn a card for the turn. He faced Grixis Control, Dredge that turn 3 Ox'd :dizzy: , and a Grixis Shadow opponent who had all the right removal to stay at 2 in both games, then Temur Battle Rage for exactly 20 twice, and Temur or was it Sultai Control. He went 0-4. That really sucked because I think he and other streamers will judge it based on that extreme variance.

I do not like talking too much about variance in a game because it's uncontrollable and you have to do everything you can to win. But he mulled quite a bit, opponents didn't, and they drew a lot of removal, even when empty handed. He had maybe one or two hands that were in the top 80% in my opinion (and forgot to use Kaheera as a Companion). Those things put together led to games that were often won at 2-5 life for his opponent. :(

I have been a bit wary of playing the deck because I don't want to hurt the record, but now organized play has been stopped for a while. :unamused:
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

how about adding a single crawling barrens? It's another beater, and can survive board wipes.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
how about adding a single crawling barrens? It's another beater, and can survive board wipes.
Players have been looking into that card. They've been looking at that and the new Omnath.

BTW, if you watch twitchtv, I just wanted to let you know that 2 wonderful streamers do Elementals all the time - TheCodyHope and Tribalmast3r.

*I know I haven't posted here in a while because I just haven't played. But I am planning on driving 90 mi. this coming Friday to play FNM in another city that is having it. We'll see how that goes...
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Finally back at it!!!

Played in a tournament that I saw advertised on FB by friends. I have to drive 65 mi. one way (so 130 total on the day) to play. I'm down!

Round 1 vs. Burn. I saw him playing Burn for fun before the tournament. I was playing Amulet for fun before the tournament. My first 2 hands didn't stand a chance against him. I keep a 3 land, 2 3 drop hand. Big mistake. I get burned out, as I make him discard a Boros Charm and Wooded Foothills with Lightning Skelemental, but he draws Lava Spike and it's lethal with his 3 creatures. The next 2 games are mildly close, but I Skelemental him once in each game. Multiple Unsettled Mariners make it tough for him in game 2 and game 3 is easier, with Aether Vials and the Lord. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. Mono Green Aggro. He gets on the board, but is not aggressive enough with attacks. Doesn't matter. I hit the board hard with Risen Reef and overwhelm him easily. In the next game, he's a bit more aggressive, which is smart. But with a lot of creatures on board and Ghalta, Primal Hunger, he alpha attacks. I Vial in Flickerwisp, Flicker the Ghalta, take 10, down to 2 life. Then I swing past the Ghalta for lethal easily next turn, putting a Thunderkin, a Skelemental, a Lord, and an Omnath (which he scooped to) for 8 damage. GGs. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Bant Uro Field. In the first game, I kept a 2 lander. I miss a land drop, then I get stuck on 3 for a while, despite Risen Reef. It takes me a long time to draw Cavern, then I draw 2 in a row. He gets too much going on board with Jace first, then Uro and Field. I scoop because of time. I wasn't going to win this one. The next game, I really messed up, forgetting things I know from playing before. He ends up getting the Cryptic Command/Mystic Sanctuary loop with big Teferi in play. How do I stop it? I have 2 Fulminator Mages in play, so blowing up the Sanctuary in response to "tap team, bounce Sanctuary" blows up the Cryptic. Eventually, I make them check the rules online (this guy is the most experienced player, outside of me and it was unsanctioned). They find out I was right. So, I would have won this game because I had 6 creatures on board, including a Lord and a Voice token. But, no hard feelings; just happy to play again. I wish him luck in the final round. Anyway, it would have been 1-1 and we had no time for game 3. 0-2.

Round 4 vs. Tron. Lost my 4th die roll today, so in game 1, I'm always on the draw. He kept a suboptimal 7. I wanted to tell him that you never lead on Forest, Ancient Stirrings. This gives me time to Harbinger for Fulminator Mage without even drawing a single land (stuck on 2, but used Aether Vial) to blow up a Tron land in time. Then I have Lord and Thunderkin, so I do it every turn. The next game is similar, but he shows that he had Heroic Intervention, so I let him do it on his upkeep when I Maged. He ends up getting out Ugin and Ugin wiped my 2 creatures, including Risen Reef. But I have Lightning Skelemental to kill it. Instead I go for the 2 cards in his hand because I have double Thunderkin Awakener to get it back next turn when it's on 6 to kill it. He draws Arboreal Grazer, which was odd. But I have enough to all out attack it to kill it. I win easily from there, as I immediately Fulminator Mage him and he doesn't reassemble Tron. He's topdecking to reassemble Tron AND get a bomb, so I'm safe from anything less than 4 mana. 2-0.

I finish 3-1 or 3rd place (something like that). Suuuuper fun to play paper again. I don't play online MTG at all, so it was a great time!
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

Played in a 6 person Round Robin tournament at a friend's house. Went 4-1 to bring the total to 64-19.

Round 1 vs. Amulet. My deck. I let a friend play it. In game 1, I have too much for him, including a key Fulminator Mage. Double Lightning Skelemental. In game 2, I get Risen Reef, but can't find Fulminator Mage in time. I draw it once my Vial is tapped and I'm tapped out and he goes off next turn with double Titan. In the last game, I hit him hard with Fulminator Mage, then Skelemental, but he discards Obstinate Baloth. I draw an Omnath and fireball his Baloth to swing for lethal after I also play a Lord. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. Grixis Control. He finds Damnation in time, but since I had a Risen Reef for a bit, I have more gas. The next game is similar, although he gets my Aether Vial when I have 1 land and Vial with an Inquisition of Kozilek. I draw lands though and get out of it. He does Damnation and we are both topdecking with him at 2. I draw 3 lands, then Skelemental. He has 1 card, Aether Gust. I put it on top and then kill him next turn. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Burn. He beats me on the play with a silly hand and without removal for 2 Monastery Swiftspear, I can't stem the bleeding. In the next game, I don't get Burn hate cards, but I curve out nicely with Vial and put the pressure. He cracks a Horizon land and he's pretty much out after this. In the final game, I get Healer of the Glade, Unsettled Mariner, another Healer, and some pressure. Then it's over. If not for the 2 Healers, he could have top decked a Bolt for exact lethal. Instead, I live at 9. 2-1

Round 4 vs. Humans. He swings me really low with double Mantis Rider, then another and a Thalia's Lieutenant after I kill one. But I Flickerwisp the last one, then swing for 1 over lethal next turn (had a Risen Reef in play for a bit). In the next game, I have the advantage, but he draws Kudro and he has a slight advantage on board. But I play my companion, Kaheera, and swing easily for what will be lethal next turn. 2-0.

Round 5 vs. UR Prowess. He has fairly fast hands and I don't have much. I figured with Dismember and Spitebellows to go with Healer of the Glade and Unsettled Mariner in game 2, I'd have a chance. But I don't draw much after that and get killed by more creatures. Ugh, could have gotten the 5-0. :( 0-2.

4-1
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 3 years ago

Noice grats! Interesting write up too.
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

congrats on your victory. 4-1 is already good.

well, ur prowess is tough..

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
congrats on your victory. 4-1 is already good.

well, ur prowess is tough..
He showed me that he has Blood Moon too. Usually only Mono Red Prowess has that.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

what creatures did you see in ur prowess opponent? I'm simply curious.
not sure if side in dismember against an aggressive deck is the right choice.. do you always pay the 4 life?

do have 3 moons in my mono red prowess sideboard. lol
still strong against certain decks.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
what creatures did you see in ur prowess opponent? I'm simply curious.
not sure if side in dismember against an aggressive deck is the right choice.. do you always pay the 4 life?

do have 3 moons in my mono red prowess sideboard. lol
still strong against certain decks.
I have to side in Dismember because they have burn to knock off my dinky X/1s and X/2s, then swing for 4-5 prowess in a turn.

Mono Red Prowess should have 3, but the UR version normally doesn't run it. It was completely off my radar.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

hmm, you do have a point. Get rid of their attacker instead of allowing it to swing for more on their next turn.

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

We play a 6 person Round Robin Modern tournament at a friend's house.

Round 1 vs. UW Miracles. My toughest matchup among the decks today because Path to Exile and Snap, but I don't think they run too many Snaps anymore. In the first game, he went Terminus into Entreat the Angels and I missed land drop #3 and lost. In the next 2 games, I got Risen Reef to live for a bit and they got me the card advantage I needed to win. 2-1.

Round 2 vs. Amulet. My deck that I loaned out. In the first game, I have the Thunderkin Awakener, Fulminator Mage, Incandescent Soulstoke combo and he couldn't get lands in play. The 2nd game was similar, but he also missed land drops so he wasn't close. Amulet in both games, but without a 2nd Amulet, it would have been hard to go off, considering my "destroy a land" each turn. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. Bant Kani. In these 2 games, I did pretty much whatever I wanted to, running Risen Reefs and going to the discard step in both games. 2-0.

Round 4 vs. RB Shadow. He won a game where his Mishra's Bauble drew him removal with Dismember to let a Shadow and 2 Monastery Swiftspears be lethal. Outside of that, I went wide on him and he miscalculated damage in game 3, Thoughtseizing me with 0 cards in hand to make a Shadow bigger. But I was able to block with 2 creatures to survive at 1 life, then swing back for lethal after putting Kaheera, the Orphanguard in hand and Vialing it in. 2-1.

Round 5 vs. Omnath/Field. My Risen Reef, found by Harbinger, was Bolted, but I had Vesperlark to bring it back and also drew another Risen Reef for the turn. I got so much card advantage that even not Fulminator Maging his 2 Field of the Dead the previous turn, I still win pretty handily a couple of turns later. In the next game, he just flooded out and I Dismember an Omnath of his to seal the deal. :grin: 2-0.

I finish 5-0 to move on to 69-19.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

I should share my list for what it's worth.

I got wrecked today at 2-3

Round 1 vs. Yorion RW Taxes. This guy was just invited to our playgroup. But he plays at my local LGS when I played in February, 2020. I've actually known him for around 9 yrs. He shows Yorion. I think of some soup type deck. He leads on Sacred Foundry. I am surprised, but think that Copy Cat runs 1 Foundry. Then he plays Inspiring Vantage and Thalia. To make a long story short, he mulls to 4 in game 2 while I mull to 5. He gets mana flooded in both games. He cracks Sunbaked Canyons in both games, but doesn't put up much. I Dismember 2 creatures, then have to Vial in Omnath for 5 damage to a SfM'd in Batterskull Germ with him at 8. I get him a couple of turns later. He had Rest in Peace in this game, while I drew 4 Thunderkin Awakeners. 2-0

Round 2 vs. Omnath Uro Field. In this round, I drew pretty damn well. I Fulminator Mage him twice to slow him down and put pressure with creatures and a Risen Reef. In the next game, I get an early Fulminator Mage, Thunderkin Awakener, Incandescent Soulstoke engine going and leave him on 4 lands at the most. He can't gain traction, even with Felidar Retreat. I get there fairly easily. 2-0.

Round 3 vs. RB Shadow. The first game is close, but he finds a Dismember #2 off the top to clear blockers and swing for lethal. I got stuck on 2 land, even with Aether Vial, so that was tough. In the next game, I have an interesting decision to bring back Thunderkin Awakener with Incandescent Soulstoke in play to Fulminator Mage him off Red. I do it to put us both at 2 life. He has 2 [card][/card] in play, so a Black spell or Bauble kills me. He finds nothing and I get there. In the next game, I mull to 6, but he turn 1s shock/fetch, Bolt himself. Next turn, double Shadow. Turn 3, Bolt himself, Temur Battle Rage the creature I block and I take 24. :dizzy: Ouch! I only had 2 turns. 1-2.

Round 4 vs. Amulet. In the first game, he has multiple Amulets, but it really was double Arboreal Grazer with 2 cards in hand that beat me. I had Lightning Skelemental, but he double blocks and keeps the cards, which end up being multiple Titans. In the next game, I have Ingot Chewer off Harbinger to kill one of his Amulets. Then I Fulminator Mage a key land and he sees the recurring Fulminator next turn and scoops. In the final game, he has double Amulet. I did not guess his hand because he didn't know that multiple Amulets mean multiple triggers. He had the turn 2 win with Dryad, Azusa, Titan, bounceland after playing a 2nd Amulet. No chance for me in this one, especially on a mull to 5. Mulled to 6 in both of the other games. 1-2.

Round 5 vs. RUGw Omnath Turns. Mulled to 6. I made a mistake of not playing a 2nd Lord because I was expecting Cryptic Command #2. He drew Path to Exile, lived, then drew a 5th land to go off taking turns with Time Warps, Mystic Sanctuaries #4, and Wrenn and Six. In the next game, I mull to 5. He had the perfect hand and I couldn't stop that. 0-2.

I finish 2-3 to be 71-22. :( Rough beats!
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

glad to see you managed to get a game even with corona around. :)

the lack of mana against the shadow deck is unfortunate, but it happens to everyone at certain times.. so it's just part of the game.

it's the first time I heard of Omnath Turns. What's the win con of that combo deck?

FoodChainGoblins
Level 47

The Fluff wrote:
3 years ago
glad to see you managed to get a game even with corona around. :)

the lack of mana against the shadow deck is unfortunate, but it happens to everyone at certain times.. so it's just part of the game.

it's the first time I heard of Omnath Turns. What's the win con of that combo deck?
It's basically similar to the RUG Turns deck after they cut Fires of Invention. Their win-con seems to be to take infinite turns and then just trigger Omnath 4 damage a bunch. They also have Uro, so any deck with Uro and infinite turns is just lethal.

Yeah, a few months ago, I went to cube with some friends. Ever since, whenever I can, I play with them. I am able to around 50% of the time. It's a lot of fun, although I've missed the actually Vintage Cube day every time since a few months ago. :x Maybe the next one?

I will say that this tournament wrecked my record. I really want to find my Phantasmal Images, but I've been unable to ever since I moved 3 months ago.
Pioneer - DEAD
Commander - Nope

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

what are you going the copy with the images? The opponent's shadow?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”