Stoneforge Mystic + Fervent Champion + Swords + What else?

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I want to run a deck that is going to play 4 x Stoneforge Mystic and 4 x Fervent Champion and run some number of Swords and Batterskull.
The curve is
Turn 2- Stoneforge Mystic.
Turn 3- tap 1w to put Sword into play and cast Fervent Champion equip attack.

I would have this as my collect of equipment in the deck; Sword of Feast and Famine, Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of Light and Shadow, Sword of Sinew and Steel, Batterskull.

So that is 13 cards. What would people suggest that I could run as the rest of the shell?

Can I get away with literally making a Boros only colored deck?

I'm pretty keen on developing this decks as I think this combination is going to be really strong in Modern.

I think the Sword of Light and Shadow could be utilized the most with creatures that you might even be able to sacrifice for value.
So I could see Ranger-Captain of Eos, Selfless Spirit being great options.

I'm keen for any or all ideas to make literally the best framework for a deck based around this concept.

I think this is what I want to play initially, so what else? Which direction? Control. Tempo. Aggro. Midrange...

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Alright through people posting I'm starting to flesh out a main deck more.

I want some resilient to removal creatures.

Sunforger is a viable equipment with Fervent Champion being able to equip it each turn, so you can spend wr each turn to cast one of the instant spells in Path to Exile, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix, Abrade, which can be used to help clear the board of creatures for attacks to get through.

Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

Tags:

robertleva

Post by robertleva » 4 years ago

why do you want to attach it to fervent champ so much? Isnt it better to go some kind of Puresteel route?
Robert Leva
Creator of Modern's 8Rack Deck

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 years ago

Lightning bolt, lightning helix, and path to exile are good ways to deal with your opponent's creatures. Bolt and Helix can also go to the opponent's face.

Blessed Alliance is also a nice versatile card that has synergy with SFM, and can turn an untapped FC into a blocker.

Steelshaper's gift is a nice way to tutor for equipment.

Giver of Runes is a nice way to protect SFM and FC. It's better than benevolent bodyguard.

I would run a full playset of Sunbaked Canyon because red and white struggles with card draw and you have lots of lifegain with Batterskull, Sword of Light and Shadow, Lightning Helix, and Blessed Alliance.

You could also run Blood Moon to mess with your opponent's landbase.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

darrenhabib

robertleva wrote:
4 years ago
why do you want to attach it to fervent champ so much? Isnt it better to go some kind of Puresteel route?
Literally because of the consistency of attacking with a Sword Turn 3, and the surprise value that might create to connect with it.

Against heavy removal decks like Jund it will be nice to be able to top deck Fervent Champion to use the haste to potentially get immediate value.

darrenhabib

NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago
Lightning bolt, lightning helix, and path to exile are good ways to deal with your opponent's creatures. Bolt and Helix can also go to the opponent's face.

Blessed Alliance is also a nice versatile card that has synergy with SFM, and can turn an untapped FC into a blocker.

Giver of Runes is a nice way to protect SFM and FC. It's better than benevolent bodyguard.

I would run a full playset of Sunbaked Canyon because red and white struggles with card draw and you have lots of lifegain with Batterskull, Sword of Light and Shadow, Lightning Helix, and Blessed Alliance.

Is Sunforger viable in Modern with Fervent Champion and Puresteel Paladin?
Path to Exile. Lightning Bolt. Lightning Helix are the main targets.

The deck would contain something likes this..
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

So say I played 23 lands, that 2 cards left.
Last edited by darrenhabib 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

robertleva

Ok I'll bite on the concept, but this is still begging to be a Boros Puresteel variant no?
Robert Leva

darrenhabib

robertleva wrote:
4 years ago
Ok I'll bite on the concept, but this is still begging to be a Boros Puresteel variant no?
I'm not sure really. The thing is that Puresteel Paladin requires a high threshold of artifacts to turn on and it's not the sort of deck that you are looking to cast equipment anyway. You'll mainly be activating Stoneforge Mystic. But even if you do cast the Equipment there are only 6 in the deck, so on average most games you'll get 0-1 draws off it, which isn't appealing. My gut instinct is that you have to invest too much of the deck to make Puresteel Paladin another card to work around with just the Swords concept. Cheerios is completely different.
If you can get enough artifacts into the deck to make Mox Opal great then Puresteel Paladin could be viable, but the deck has to be designed around it.

robertleva

I figured SFM would just slot immediately into regular Puresteel builds. It can replace Steelshaper's gift or something like that. I haven't actually tried that myself, I was just going through lists of existing decks I had when SFM came out and Puresteel seemed like a no brainer at first glance.
Robert Leva

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
4 years ago

Is Sunforger viable in Modern with Fervent Champion and Puresteel Paladin?
Path to Exile. Lightning Bolt. Lightning Helix are the main targets.

The deck would contain something likes this..
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

So say I played 23 lands, that 2 cards left.
I like the concept, but is Benevolent Bodyguard modern legal?

Maybe add one Stonehewer Giant as a fifth copy of SFM. Or is the cmc too high?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

robertleva

I would consider Auriok Champion somewhere in there. Comes built in with 2 protections already so punching through should be easy. Burrenton Forgetender could be an alternate to Benevolent Bodyguard in that it carries a sword better. One thing I dont like is 2x Blood Moon. Either go all in on the moon angle or push it to the side. That's just a personal pref though obv. Looks fun :)
Robert Leva

darrenhabib

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I like the concept, but is Benevolent Bodyguard modern legal?

Maybe add one Stonehewer Giant as a fifth copy of SFM. Or is the cmc too high?
It was in Judgement which is not Modern legal, and no legal set reprints by the looks of things, so it is not legal.

5 mana for Stonehewer Giant I'm guessing is going to be too slow. The thing is that most games you are going to naturally draw an equipment or two so spending 5 mana is easily done by just casting a Sword and equipping.

I was looking at creatures that can exile another creature to get additional triggers from a Stoneforge and I think Charming Prince is the most cost effective creatures from the new set as well.

darrenhabib

robertleva wrote:
4 years ago
I would consider Auriok Champion somewhere in there. Comes built in with 2 protections already so punching through should be easy. Burrenton Forgetender could be an alternate to Benevolent Bodyguard in that it carries a sword better. One thing I dont like is 2x Blood Moon. Either go all in on the moon angle or push it to the side. That's just a personal pref though obv. Looks fun :)
I am looking for a couple of super resilient creatures that can work through some number of removal.
Adanto Vanguard is one that I could think of.
Auriok Champion is certainly a sideboard option, and would have to look at the most popular meta choices currently if its main deck playable? Great against Jund and Burn.

If anybody can suggest some creatures in Boros that are resilient to removal and preferable costing between 1-3 mana (more likely 1-2) then that would be great :)

robertleva

It's not exactly what you want, but Soltari Priest is a super stylish card that I love to find a spot for here and there.
Robert Leva

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

3 x Nahiri and 1x Godo might be worth testing.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

Not sure if this is a dead topic or not but if you go with Junktroller, Sunforger, and Master Warcraft you will always be able to connect with your opponent or on the flip side they can never attack you. Just keep putting Warcraft on the bottom of your library with Troller and spam Sunforger activations. This also means you can just keep casting other spells as well, so if there's an annoying Ensnaring Bridge keeping you down, you theoretically have infinite Echoing Ruin or Lightning Helix depending on which route you want to take. Same goes for Celestial Purge, Echoing Calm, Surgical Extracion... You can see how this gets annoying really fast.

You can skip the Trollers if you so choose and go with Wheel of Sun and Moon.

Pretty old trick, but it was effective at one point in time.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 4 years ago

I like blood moon as disruption, but I would really add magus of the moon as at least a 1 of. You can protect it with the appropriate sword and giver of runes as well as easily recur it with light and shadow. This is also really wanting some number of thalia, guardian of thraben to give you a shot at slowing your spell slinging oppopents down.

2nd question: Do you really need all of the above equipment? I am fairly certain that even legacy stoneblade decks only run batterskull and one or two others. What you need for this meta is dependent, of course, but I would probably run 3 max myself.

Odendin

Post by Odendin » 3 years ago

I want to do something with Zirda, the Dawnwaker and Embercleave. but I think you'd be casting both from md..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Developing”