Blue Black Control

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

here's the Blue Black Control deck I've taken to a few tournaments, mostly small local events. I don't play often but I can probably find stuff to make it better

Numbers are a bit weird but I'm open to advice. There's a few burn decks, at least 2 other UB control decks and 1 mono g stompy. Plus that boros artifact deck

ZephyrScarlet
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZephyrScarlet » 4 years ago

I pretty much prefer the Mystical Teachings version of the deck, although I reckon there was a time where Forbidden Alchemy was better because it could get things other than Instants and fed Gurmag Angler. However, with so much Astrolabe decks running around durdling a bunch, I think the ability to select the answer better suited for the moment might prove ultimately better.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Curse of the Bloody Tome is your main wincon here, and with all the card drawing that is going around thanks to Astrolabe decks it won't take long before it kills them. Plan B is hanging above their life total with Radiant Fountain and Dismal Backwater coupled with bounce from Dimir Aqueduct so that buying back Evincar's Justice manages to kill them first. Maindeck Dispel could be a third Chainer's Edict mainboard but I'm not seeing that much Gurmag Angler anymore and I don't want to have less than two in my 75. It could also be Echoing Decay if you face a lot of tokens in your meta.

Post board you side out Curse and Justice (unless they're a swarm deck like Stompy or Goblins) and something else for the Anglers and Mulldrifters, since the opponent will bring answers for your Curse and side out removal, and adopt a more tempo-y gameplan of exhausting their resources then protecting a threat to victory.

Keep in mind that all durdly Astrolabe decks will run at most a playset of Counterspell and normally run just 2-3 counterspells overall (in the case of Tron, not even OG Counterspell), which means it's safe to tap out for Curse or Exclude, and you almost always should have the upper hand in counter wars, at least G1. Don't fire off removal against oppossing Mulldrifters though, you will probably eat an Ephemerate and be buried in card advantage. It's always best to counter them, preferably with Exclude.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pauper”