commander suggestion game

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

State a few conditions about your preferred playing style, eg.
"I'm a mono-color player.";
"I like a threat-light rampy deck that tries to win with commander damage."
"I wanna play some expensive, game-changing spells."

...and someone might respond with a commander that fits all those criteria ("try Vorinclex!" Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger) and then post their own criteria. Sounds fun?

Then I'll post my conditions:
- I wanna play a deck with lots of low CMC creatures
- I don't wanna play tribal and I especially don't wanna play Human creatures

Gavvin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gavvin » 4 years ago

Try Shirei! shirei, shizo's caretaker

I want to play a pre-Alara Commander in 2 colors that has been made significantly better by cards printed in the last 2 years

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Gavvin wrote:
4 years ago
I want to play a pre-Alara Commander in 2 colors that has been made significantly better by cards printed in the last 2 years
I'm going to go with Ulasht, the Hate Seed. There are few more red/green creatures that help support an Ulasht strategy, and many more go-wide support cards (chief among them are Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Cavalier of Flame).

Side note: I like the way you think; I find older generals to be much more fun and less on-the-nose. More opportunity to explore for synergy, instead of it just kind of appearing in the same set.

My conditions:
A deck with planeswalkers that wins with creatures in a non-excruciatingly slow way.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago

My conditions:
A deck with planeswalkers that wins with creatures in a non-excruciatingly slow way.
You also sound like you like old-school stuff, so what about Asmira, Holy Avenger with a superfriends vibe but an emphasis on 'walkers that make tokens, apply counters, and contribute to a Voltron kill? Load up on Planeswalkers like Gideon Blackblade, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Nahiri, the Lithomancer, Ajani, the Greathearted, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Garruk, Primal Hunter. Get double duty out of cards like Evolution Sage and Karn's Bastion and Doubling Season. Sacrifice tokens to outlets that provide power and not misery (so more Culling Dais, Evolutionary Leap, Spawning Pit, and Greater Good, less Smokestack and Ashnod's Altar). This deck would be better with Ghave, Guru of Spores, Jenara, Asura of War, or Captain Sisay, but I think you'd have more fun with Asmira.

I'm looking for a Commander who...
- Is Simic, ideally
- Will help me resist the urge to infinitely shuffle my deck (so no Momir Vig, Simic Visionary or Prime Speaker Vannifar)
- But who is also a natural fit for a "Crystal Witness" style deck (i.e., one that uses Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal, Portal of Sanctuary, etc for value)
- If you must suggest a third color, it needs to be in Temur or Sultai (no Bant, no Chulane, Teller of Tales) and it needs to be $3 or less for the Commander themselves. If you feel mono-color is the best bet I'll prefer U to G but I'd really really prefer to be Simic.
- Bonus points if you can sell me on a Commander who has the Simic guild watermark.

Gavvin

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago

I'm looking for a Commander who...
- Is Simic, ideally
- Will help me resist the urge to infinitely shuffle my deck (so no Momir Vig, Simic Visionary or Prime Speaker Vannifar)
- But who is also a natural fit for a "Crystal Witness" style deck (i.e., one that uses Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal, Portal of Sanctuary, etc for value)
- If you must suggest a third color, it needs to be in Temur or Sultai (no Bant, no Chulane, Teller of Tales) and it needs to be $3 or less for the Commander themselves. If you feel mono-color is the best bet I'll prefer U to G but I'd really really prefer to be Simic.
- Bonus points if you can sell me on a Commander who has the Simic guild watermark.
I had a big, long reply written up before my browser crashed. Short Form then...

Ezuri, Claw of Progress would be a perfect fit in Simic.... except for his price tag
Animar, Soul of Elements takes the prize for Temur..... except, once again for his cost
Yarok, The Desecrated works for Sultai... except for his blasted cost

I did find Naban, Dean of Iteration in mono-blue who wants to bounce and replay ETB wizards for the low, low cost of $0.27.

Now, I am looking for a deck that is off the beaten path. Something unusual. I don't care about colors. The whole deck doesn't have to be unusual, but maybe the way it interacts with the commander isn't what you would expect. The best example I can think of at the moment is a post I read that suggested Zur the Enchanter as the commander for a Tribal Rebels deck, using Zur to tutor up Arcane Adaptation an the using your fetch rebels to get answers in a toolbox type build. Definitely not your typical Zur deck!

I know it's a tall order, so don't feel like you absolutely have to answer mine before posting one of your own.

TGambitG

Post by TGambitG » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Gavvin wrote:
4 years ago
I'm going to go with Ulasht, the Hate Seed. There are few more red/green creatures that help support an Ulasht strategy, and many more go-wide support cards (chief among them are Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Cavalier of Flame).

Side note: I like the way you think; I find older generals to be much more fun and less on-the-nose. More opportunity to explore for synergy, instead of it just kind of appearing in the same set.

My conditions:
Funny you mention Ulasht, the Hate Seed... I have an Ulasht deck that my playgroup seems to want to target every time they see it because of how powerful it is, and even more powerful it got after the last couple sets...

There are crazy things in there like a way to make infinite saprolings with 1 mana spent, also at the same time making Ulasht infinitely huge. Hell, one game I played I cast, killed, and recast Ulasht over 60 times in one turn, WITHOUT food chain.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

TGambitG wrote:
4 years ago
Hell, one game I played I cast, killed, and recast Ulasht over 60 times in one turn, WITHOUT food chain.
My guess is Mana Echoes.

I think Ulasht is powerful, and definitely underrated among the people I know. Would you shoot me a PM with your list (or a link to the same) if it's available?

TGambitG

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
TGambitG wrote:
4 years ago
Hell, one game I played I cast, killed, and recast Ulasht over 60 times in one turn, WITHOUT food chain.
My guess is Mana Echoes.

I think Ulasht is powerful, and definitely underrated among the people I know. Would you shoot me a PM with your list (or a link to the same) if it's available?
Sure, I'll have to throw it up on something like tapped out

TGambitG

TGambitG wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
TGambitG wrote:
4 years ago
My guess is Mana Echoes.

Sure, I'll have to throw it up on something like tapped out
I don't mind throwing the list up in here..

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ulasht-token-vomit/

Gavvin

Believe it or not, I just took apart Ulasht last week. Playing angry Omnath now as my R/G

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

I'm looking for a commander who...
- plays very few creature spells so I can utilize my awesome foil Overburden
- plays a lot of cheap spells instead of the more traditional expensive stuff.
- does not play storm or eggs or other degenerate combos. Incidental combos with cards that are good on their own are fine.
- ideally would be Jeskai, but I'm willing to be swayed elsewhere.

My current finalists are Kykar and Elsha, but I can't decide between the two, nor can I decide if I want the theme to be artifacts, instants/sorceries, or a mix
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago
- does not play storm or eggs or other degenerate combos. Incidental combos with cards that are good on their own are fine.

My current finalists are Kykar and Elsha, but I can't decide between the two, nor can I decide if I want the theme to be artifacts, instants/sorceries, or a mix
I've never built a jeskai-coloured deck so the first commander that sprang to mind when I read yr requirements was Jori En, Ruin Diver - a great mascot for any deck that plays low-cost instants and trinkets! she comes down early and if you're playing Dive Down or Curfew-style things you can protect her while cycling through the deck toward your favourite cards! but i'll let others who are more experienced with three colour decks respond.

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
OCPunisher wrote:
4 years ago

I've never built a jeskai-coloured deck so the first commander that sprang to mind when I read yr requirements was Jori En, Ruin Diver - a great mascot for any deck that plays low-cost instants and trinkets! she comes down early and if you're playing Dive Down or Curfew-style things you can protect her while cycling through the deck toward your favourite cards! but i'll let others who are more experienced with three colour decks respond.
That actually does sway my decision a bit in favor of Kykar.
- Jori, like Elsha, excels at giving you extra cards for casting spells (more or less)
- My reservation with Elsha was that most of the spells I would use would already accomplish the feat of drawing extra cards, but fall short of being able to profit off those extra spells in a manner that actually kills opponents.
- Therefore, I should probably go with Kykar and let the natural cantrips and draw spells do their thing.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

Howdy howdy

I've come to your humble suggestion parlor to rustle me up a new edh generalé. See, I need a pre-frontier (no shiny sticker) commander with an ability that either draw cards, generates mana, or otherwise creates/enables some kind of engine. Would prefer to stay away from green beyond minor splashes because Nissa has all my staples right now.

I'm really not sure who to respond to, so I'll take on Gavvin's lingering challenge of an off-the-wall commander build:

Maelstrom Wanderer Elf Tribal. Saw a list the other day in a shop and it looked sweet. Sure, all the cascades were into little green men, but elves are scary with mass haste and hitting a 7/5 value train on turn 4 isn't shabby either.

Edit: misread a name and misattributed the challenge. Fixed.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”