Volrath, the Shapestealer (Let's Brew!)

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Volrath, the Shapestealer

I love counters, I love clones, so it's natural that Volrath #2 is the first legend that makes me want to build a deck around, and he is VERSATILE.

1) Volrath drops -1/-1 counters that goes well with proliferate and various other Amonkhet/Lorwyn mechanics.
2) Volrath can copy any creature with a counter on it, it doesn't have to be -1/-1, which means you could go Simic +1/+1 too.
3) Volrath can three shots and opponent regardless of his "shape". Invisible Stalker is an obvious include.

That said, Volrath can go so many direction it's hard not to brew him. I will create and continuous to update list of cards
Counters
Approximate Total Cost:

Let's brew!
Last edited by Cyberium 4 years ago, edited 41 times in total.

Tags:

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Generous Patron
Wickerbough Elder
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Flayed Nim seems like it'd make a pretty good 7/5 creature

Cyberium

I suppose Experiment Kraj would make a decent secondary wincon, and he helps distribute counters.

Cyberium

List updated.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I think if you are giving your creatures +1/+1 counters then Kalonian Hydra is a good clone target.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Flourishing Defenses
Crumbling Ashes
Blowfly Infestation
Midnight Banshee
Necroskitter
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Cyberium

List updated. Volrath pretty much goes infinite with a mana dork tapping for 3+ and an untapper, like the old Kraj combo.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

I think having Phage the Untouchable in the deck would be pretty awesome for actual one-shot player kills, especially in concert with unblockable creatures.

A semi-Budget build that I would try for would look something like this:

Volrath's Shapestealing Deck

Untap Effects (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Cyberium

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
I think having Phage the Untouchable in the deck would be pretty awesome for actual one-shot player kills, especially in concert with unblockable creatures.

Untap Effects (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Thank you for your suggestion! I guess the only problem with Phage is that she has to be cast and if she died she cannot be revived easily. It is, however, much easier to cast her if we "go Elven" with Volrath, and uses the abundant amount of mana generation to quick cast and quick hit for the win.

I modified the list to keep tribal stuff separated for easier viewing. I also added your cards onto the list. I like your idea of Muldrotha! Even if Volrath cannot copy it effectively, clones like Sashima and Spark Double could both do the job.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

Duh. I should know better than to list other Legend in the Targets section since the Legend rule will kill either Volrath or the Legend itself.

I really like Thief of Sanity as a Volrath target, though. It gives Volrath flying while also providing pseudo card advantage from connecting on combat damage.

I'd replace Razaketh with Rune-Scarred Demon since it has additional synergy with Yarok and reduces Legend rule interactions.

Spark Double is another good idea!

.H.

Post by .H. » 4 years ago

Unspeakable Symbol seems like a decent way to give out counters, if that's the way you want to go with Volrath. Not to mention just comboing with Persist things like Glen Elendra Archmage.

The_Greasy_Strangler
Bullsh*t Artist

Post by The_Greasy_Strangler » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago

Untap Effects (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Thank you for your suggestion! I guess the only problem with Phage is that she has to be cast and if she died she cannot be revived easily. It is, however, much easier to cast her if we "go Elven" with Volrath, and uses the abundant amount of mana generation to quick cast and quick hit for the win.

I modified the list to keep tribal stuff separated for easier viewing. I also added your cards onto the list. I like your idea of Muldrotha! Even if Volrath cannot copy it effectively, clones like Sashima and Spark Double could both do the job.

You can use Dimir Doppelganger and Volrath's Shapeshifter to safely "reanimate" Phage :)
Tell you a secret: I am the Greasy Strangler

Cyberium

Article on EDHREC mentioned Tetzimoc, Primal Death as a counter placer. I totally missed that one!

sweetwaterbob

Post by sweetwaterbob » 4 years ago

Outside of synergy what type of payoffs does Volrath have?

We can do a phyrexian/ballista combo.

Volrath could make a cool artifact/modular/cauldron of souls commander.

Cyberium

sweetwaterbob wrote:
4 years ago
Outside of synergy what type of payoffs does Volrath have?

We can do a phyrexian/ballista combo.

Volrath could make a cool artifact/modular/cauldron of souls commander.
True, and his color also encircles Reyhan, Last of the Abzan and Silas Renn, Seeker Adept.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

You want to use resiliency to keep him in play and so the keywords are Hexproof, Indestructible, perhaps Regeneration.

Hexproof creatures that can get their own counters:
Jade Guardian, Marchesa's Emissary, Lumberknot, Witchstalker

Predator Ooze is Indestructible that can get's it's own counter.

Bontu the Glorified and Kefnet the Mindful offer invasion and Volrath mitigates that downside of not attacking or blocking by activating after the fact.

The thing I'd aim for a lot of games is to use Persist or Undying and to also give Volrath resiliency and value.
The neat thing is that creatures with these can get counters in the first place.
For example if you copy Glen Elendra Archmage with Volrath, you can then use some +1/+1 generating creature to negate the -1/-1, like Managorger Hydra.
Grim Poppet or Wickerbough Elder would be even better.

Unfortunately the idea of getting infinite mana by combining with a creature like Incubation Druid and an untapper like Morphling doesn't work out, as you have to spend 2 to copy each creature and u for the untap, so no gain.
However you can combine with mana doublers and these creatures;
Argothian Elder, Krosan Restorer, Ley Weaver, Magus of the Candelabra.
I would play the bounce lands Dimir Aqueduct, Golgari Rot Farm, Simic Growth Chamber to back this plan up.

Cyberium

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
You want to use resiliency to keep him in play and so the keywords are Hexproof, Indestructible, perhaps Regeneration.

Hexproof creatures that can get their own counters:
Jade Guardian, Marchesa's Emissary, Lumberknot, Witchstalker

Predator Ooze is Indestructible that can get's it's own counter.

Bontu the Glorified and Kefnet the Mindful offer invasion and Volrath mitigates that downside of not attacking or blocking by activating after the fact.

The thing I'd aim for a lot of games is to use Persist or Undying and to also give Volrath resiliency and value.
The neat thing is that creatures with these can get counters in the first place.
For example if you copy Glen Elendra Archmage with Volrath, you can then use some +1/+1 generating creature to negate the -1/-1, like Managorger Hydra.
Grim Poppet or Wickerbough Elder would be even better.

Unfortunately the idea of getting infinite mana by combining with a creature like Incubation Druid and an untapper like Morphling doesn't work out, as you have to spend 2 to copy each creature and u for the untap, so no gain.
However you can combine with mana doublers and these creatures;
Argothian Elder, Krosan Restorer, Ley Weaver, Magus of the Candelabra.
I would play the bounce lands Dimir Aqueduct, Golgari Rot Farm, Simic Growth Chamber to back this plan up.
I start to feel that if Volrath goes tribal, like Elf or Ixalan Merfolk, he'd become a lot more consistent due to their tribal ability of powering up each other (and counters). There's also this Level Up style Volrath that may be too slow, but who could deny Lighthouse
Chronologist
x2. (Since Volrath copies till your next turn, so you can trigger end of turn effect on opponents' turn).

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

As we're dumping counters on our opponents creatures all over the place I think willbreaker could be pretty strong.
Cast it, move to combat, Volrath's ability triggers and you steal a creature.
I know I'm gonna be running it!

Infected Vermin or Crypt Rats can work really well if you fiddle the stack.
Activate 'Vol-rat's' ability to deal the damage, hold priority and switch him to an infect creature.
-1/-1 for everyone!
Than you have your pick of the creatures

Champion of Lambholt I think is a must include as well.
Builds it's own stock of counters and immediately makes you field completely unblockable to all but the biggest creatures if at all when copied by volrath.

What do we think of creatures like Spawnwrithe?
Volrath copies it but gains the copy ability and becomes a 7/5 and keep the copying ability, which means when he dealt damage the legend rule doesn't apply and you end up with a ton of Spawnwrithes which also have Volrath's ability to copy the best thing on the board.
But theoretically would never change back into Volrath and would always return to being souped up spawnwrithes
...Thinking about it the same works for copies.
Activate Volrath's ability targeting something non-legendary, then clone him and you effectively have two Volraths without breaking the legend rule

Cyberium

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
As we're dumping counters on our opponents creatures all over the place I think willbreaker could be pretty strong.
Cast it, move to combat, Volrath's ability triggers and you steal a creature.
I know I'm gonna be running it!

Infected Vermin or Crypt Rats can work really well if you fiddle the stack.
Activate 'Vol-rat's' ability to deal the damage, hold priority and switch him to an infect creature.
-1/-1 for everyone!
Than you have your pick of the creatures

Champion of Lambholt I think is a must include as well.
Builds it's own stock of counters and immediately makes you field completely unblockable to all but the biggest creatures if at all when copied by volrath.

What do we think of creatures like Spawnwrithe?
Volrath copies it but gains the copy ability and becomes a 7/5 and keep the copying ability, which means when he dealt damage the legend rule doesn't apply and you end up with a ton of Spawnwrithes which also have Volrath's ability to copy the best thing on the board.
But theoretically would never change back into Volrath and would always return to being souped up spawnwrithes
...Thinking about it the same works for copies.
Activate Volrath's ability targeting something non-legendary, then clone him and you effectively have two Volraths without breaking the legend rule
I can get behind that Spawn Clone Jutsu idea. XD

Here's a video on how to combo with Volrath, involving +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters:

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

The realization I came to last night was Volrath is a dark Kraj. All the goodies and synergies of a Kraj deck with Universal tutours and B activated abilities.

To wit, you're gonna want some Morphling, Thornling, and AEtherling. Simic Ascendancy is a strong win con on the cheap, Illusionist's Bracers is obligatory, and Winged Temple of Orazca is a great voltron finish. Source: have been a filthy Kraj combo player.

Have we listed Master Biomancer yet?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Cyberium

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
The realization I came to last night was Volrath is a dark Kraj. All the goodies and synergies of a Kraj deck with Universal tutours and B activated abilities.
Yes. Precisely. That's what triggered me to make him because I have a Kraj deck myself.

Dark Kraj, there's a Protoss ring to it, I think I'll use that for my activation-centric Volrath deck.
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
To wit, you're gonna want some Morphling, Thornling, and AEtherling. Simic Ascendancy is a strong win con on the cheap, Illusionist's Bracers is obligatory, and Winged Temple of Orazca is a great voltron finish. Source: have been a filthy Kraj combo player.

Have we listed Master Biomancer yet?
Master Biomancer is one of the first card listed for obvious reason, though it might mess up with some -1/- counter strategy since the counter adding is not optional.

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Master Biomancer is one of the first card listed for obvious reason, though it might mess up with some -1/- counter strategy since the counter adding is not optional.
I don't think master biomancer messe a whole lot. You never really want more than a single -1 counter on any of your creatures and considering he'll always put a minimim of 2 +1 counters it swing it the other way.
He clearly nonbos with carnifex demon and grim poppet though.

Cyberium

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think master biomancer messe a whole lot. You never really want more than a single -1 counter on any of your creatures and considering he'll always put a minimim of 2 +1 counters it swing it the other way.
He clearly nonbos with carnifex demon and grim poppet though.
And cards like Wickerbough Elder that works best with -1/-1 counters.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

I was just looking for any other kind of counter to set up volrath. Having just experienced Master B in Kraj, and given my alluding to Volrath as Dark Kraj, you can see how I came to that avenue. And, yes, Master B is very strong there. 😎

My route was without worry of a-1/-1 counter and instead just getting a counter. If there was a good one, you might even try to take advantage of age counters too (can't recall there being a strong enough one here, although I suspect Sheltering Ancient might be some secret hidden tech.)

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”