Is it time to cut signets entirely?

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

I'm actually leaning this way as well. Although signets may be useful for those that don't have the premiere mana fixing in their land base, I find needing one to use them is not as efficient as one would prefer. Now, to those about to quote me to say "but you can filter colourless mana into them!"

To you I remind that an even easier way of filtering your colourless mana is in the deckbuilding stage by controlling the number of colourless lands in your deck so as to not be so over-reliant on one particular type of mana rock than you otherwise need to be.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Kajaxis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kajaxis » 4 years ago

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm just not interested in the commander specific cards such as Arcane Signet, Commander's Sphere, etc. Naturally, they're good cards, but I just don't enjoy playing them for whatever reason.
MRHblue wrote:
4 years ago
Heck no! I mean Arcane Signet is lazy and an auto-include in decks.
I feel like this might be part of my disdain for these types of cards, to be honest. (Even though I'm guilty of running Command Tower.)

As Tarotpls said, I think it'll come down to what you're playing really. How many colors, how greedy is the deck, what type of deck you're running... there are a lot of variables.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Kajaxis wrote:
4 years ago
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm just not interested in the commander specific cards such as Arcane Signet, Commander's Sphere, etc. Naturally, they're good cards, but I just don't enjoy playing them for whatever reason.
Part of me agrees with you. I find that they're just a little too on-the-nose; part of the appeal for EDH (for me, at least) in the beginning is that it wasn't official, and was totally off-the-wall.

Of course, I can't really complain that we have Command Tower. ABUR duals remain out of reach for most players, and all but the oldest or wealthiest players don't have multiple Underground Seas lying around, but, I personally now have more Command Towers than I will use for the foreseeable future. There is something nice about the accessibility of some of these cards, that are *really* good.

Kajaxis

Part of me agrees with you. I find that they're just a little too on-the-nose; part of the appeal for EDH (for me, at least) in the beginning is that it wasn't official, and was totally off-the-wall.
Yeah, this is basically my view on it. You summed it up pretty nicely.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

There's plenty of on-the-nose stuff coming out with every single set - WOTC is explicitly supporting the format and constantly printing cards designed with it in mind. Where do you think, say, Zendikar Resurgent was meant to weave its nest? Or pretty much every single legend that pops up in standard-legal sets these days? I was a bit annoyed by how blunt this felt for a while, but it wore off after a few years. Hey, better to be supported and thriving, with goods thrust at you.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Kajaxis

Even stuff like resurgent I don't include in my decks for that reason. But I understand since I do run a few recent legendaries.

Of course I'm also happy that the format is thriving, but I guess like you said, it was a bit blunt.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Where do you think, say, Zendikar Resurgent was meant to weave its nest?
Oh, I don't disagree. The number of legendary creatures across all sets has been increasing (I think Dominaria was the peak, with 'Legendary' being a mechanic).

But when it actually uses the word Commander, or Command zone (like Command Beacon), you can't really suspend any disbelief you might have had.

None of this is to say that it's mortally offensive or anything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”