How much ramp in addition to manadorks?

tarotplz
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by tarotplz » 4 years ago

I'm currently building my first deck that will utilize manadroks. I'll in fact run a ton of them in the deck (8 to be exact).

The deck is a Tymna the Weaver & Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa deck that want sto utilize hatebears with a combo finish (Razakats). It's meant to be played in a high power casual group.

When buidling the deck I came across the question of how much ramp I want in addition to all the dorks that I'll be playing. Sol Ring will be included of course. Mana Crypt would be, if I could afford one :laugh: :sweat:

But aside from that I'm really not sure. The curve of the rest of the deck is going to be pretty low, but I don't know how consistently the dorks will be able to provide me with ramp, since they'll probably get killed by some boardwipe or something during the games.

I could just add stuff like Nature's Lore and Farseek, maybe even add a Cultivate, but the feel really slow an kinda low impact.

So ultimately I thought I'd ask some of you guys for advice, after all I don't really have much experience playing with mana dorks. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice :grin:

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

This question is not answerable without knowing the rest of the deck. From the description it sounds to me like probably few or none would be ideal, but there's really not nearly enough information to make a well-informed decision.

The only thing I will say is that I would probably avoid cultivate or anything else in the 3-4 range because you probably want to cast your commanders on those turns. So either 1-2 drop ramp (the mana dorks are obviously great in that regard) or big ramp would make the most sense to me.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tarotplz

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
This question is not answerable without knowing the rest of the deck. From the description it sounds to me like probably few or none would be ideal, but there's really not nearly enough information to make a well-informed decision.

The only thing I will say is that I would probably avoid cultivate or anything else in the 3-4 range because you probably want to cast your commanders on those turns. So either 1-2 drop ramp (the mana dorks are obviously great in that regard) or big ramp would make the most sense to me.
Yeah, that's fair, the thing is, the deck is not completely finished at this point, so I can't just post a list.

I'll see how far I can get and try to give you an update as soon as possible

tarotplz

Alright, so here's the update with what I've got so far:

Decklist

Card Selection

Approximate Total Cost:

The average cmc is 2.43 including the commanders and 2,35 exclding them.

For now it's only 90 cards and things are very likely to change quite a bit before the deck is complete. The manabase is only an approximation, as that can really only be completed when the deck is fully finished.

I hope that this is enough to continue on witht he discussion about how much more ramp should be in this deck aside from the dorks.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

You missed GSZ+Arbor for 1-drop dorks.

With your probable goal of turn 2 Tymna 100% of the time I would also add Wild Growth and Exploration. Maybe utopia sprawl.

You also have some expensive spells to cast, so I think you probably want a couple pieces of bigger ramp. The deck looks pretty tuned but I'd consider Bloom Tender. Not sure what else I would play ramp wise in here.

tarotplz

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
You missed GSZ+Arbor for 1-drop dorks.

With your probable goal of turn 2 Tymna 100% of the time I would also add Wild Growth and Exploration. Maybe utopia sprawl.

You also have some expensive spells to cast, so I think you probably want a couple pieces of bigger ramp. The deck looks pretty tuned but I'd consider Bloom Tender. Not sure what else I would play ramp wise in here.
You're right, I did forget about those. Not sure I'll include them tho. If there were more solid green hatebears aside from Collector Ouphe maybe . Regardless, the deck doesn't have to be THAT fast. I also couldn't bring myself to include Boreal Druid :sweat:

Playing Tymna on t2 and attacking with herand a dork on t3 shouldn't be that much different form playing some other 2 drop on t2, playing Tymna on 3 and attacking with the dork and the other creature. I think I can afford to be "slow" like that in my meta.

I think I'm mostly looking for things that help out with my color fixing a bit, since I'm not playing all that many fetches here.

Eviljedi

Post by Eviljedi » 4 years ago

Continuing the theme of ramping to an early Tymna, Chrome Mox and Mox Diamond are great if you can afford them.

While it technically doesn't ramp Weathered Wayfarer is effectively an unconditional land tutor in multiplayer games. Low floor but extremely high ceiling if you can get even one activation off. Kind of an honorary dork.
More mana dorks is always the answer.

tarotplz

Eviljedi wrote:
4 years ago
Continuing the theme of ramping to an early Tymna, Chrome Mox and Mox Diamond are great if you can afford them.

While it technically doesn't ramp Weathered Wayfarer is effectively an unconditional land tutor in multiplayer games. Low floor but extremely high ceiling if you can get even one activation off. Kind of an honorary dork.
Mox Diamond is most definitly too expensive. Chrome Mox is something I could get, but I'm not sure I should run them. I have Collector Ouphe in the deck, Kataki, War's Wage, Stony Silence and Null Rod are all at least considerations.

Weathered Wayfarer is a cool card, The thing about it is though, I'll likely draw a ton of cards anyway with Tymna, so just getting lands to my hand might not be as desirable of an effect here.

tarotplz

I finished building the deck just now.

Here's the link to the lsit if you're interested: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tymna-s ... -razakats/

Thanks to all those who helped out! If you have any more suggestions, all are welcome. I'll probably make a thread for this deck over in the decklsit section tomorrow.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”