your fave cards from official Commander releases

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

I love that these decks are printed every year intended to be played in Commander while creating new casual archetypes and new-border versions of cards that were previously very expensive. I've seen people be wary of the overall price of the goodies inside, knowing that it's probably gonna be a single staple, maybe a few acceptable land and rocks with the remainder of the cards being under a dollar, but as someone who builds a million decks I kinda appreciate the availability of Commander set singles.

my faves:
Turntimber Sower - a really gorgeous card that creates my type of churn. Cute that it matches both with Seton, Krosan Protector as a druid and with the mostly terrible common and uncommon lands from the set Seton was from. Works really well with Nissa, Voice of Zendikar

Coveted Jewel - in the land of four-of casual this creates both excess and chaos, promoting action and giving dozy opponents a reason to attack when winning isn't such a big concern. Plus you can just keep extending your BIG MANA decks skyward with cards like these when more sensible formats would see you stop at Thran Dynamo. It also definitely promotes attempting the Blinkmoth Infusion deck. a really beautiful greedy card <3

Anje Falkenrath and Anje's Ravager - I love looting, ditching Squees and Ashen Ghouls and I was so into Basking Rootwalla and Fiery Temper back in the day. Perhaps Anje makes it a little too easy to combo off? but I tend to build low power so it's never occurred to me to ruin someone's day in that manner. Brallin, Skyshark Rider, another Commander original, goes crazy well with both, with or without the shark.

all these cards cost next-to-nothing to acquire and make bizarre decks possible and I love them.

least fave:
Fierce Guardianship - this is a really unnecessary effect that seems to make the game worse, right? I have a copy, I'd love it if they crashed the price so I could tear it up

Noticed that a lot of the stuff in my collection is only there because it was reprinted in EDH decks. In particular I have to shout out this year's decks for turning Fluctuator from a thirty dollar card into a nine dollar one, or a fifty cent one if you prefer the new art!
sorta mad at magic right now

Tags:

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

For those - like me - who want to have a quick overlook of the cards in question, click here.

Favorites (alphabetical order):

Act of Authority - I love cards that enhance table politics and this is one of the most interesting ones, for sure. On top of that it's just insane in Brago, King Eternal.
Disrupt Decorum - This card creates absolute havoc and desperate sweet talk - i effing love it! I wish i had bought several of these when they were less than half the price...
Toxic Deluge - Remember that the high life count in our format is a great resource? This is the perfect example.
Vindictive Lich - Oh man, i love cards that influence all of my opponents in asymetrical ways. Reanimating this bad boy over and over again is pure bliss.

Least favorite ones:

Partner, Eminence & Experience Commanders - Just, why WotC? WHY!?
Atraxa, Praetors' Voice - Everyone and their mom have a deck with her at the helm. And they are all boring af.
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician - What a mistake that card was, my god.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

(putting "not:reprint st:commander" into the scryfall search bar works too!)
sorta mad at magic right now

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Some of my faves:
Chaos Warp. Still one of the most versatile removal options in the game.
Toxic Deluge. One of black's best board wipes, especially with annoying indestructible creatures.
Disrupt Decorum. Wonderful for breaking up board stalls and creating openings for your own creatures to swing. Such a great card.
Stranglehold. I love this card, and it used to be an auto-slot for any of my decks including red, but as the format has gotten faster I find myself playing it less often; 4 CMC is a very competitive slot. Nonetheless, this is still a great card for messing with decks that rely on tutoring of any sort, and if you can get it out quickly enough, it can help keep green ramp decks in check.
Kess, Dissident Mage. I love commanders who can be built in a lot of different ways and still be strong without being completely broken, Kess fits that bill perfectly, in my opinion.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 3 years ago

Favorites:
Toxic Deluge : One of my favorite boardwipes, ever since I used it to kill of an Avacyn, Angel of Hope the turn before he was going to Armageddon I've never doubted it's potency.
Myriad Landscape: Great ramp for mono colored decks.
Duelist's Heritage: Fun political card.
Loyal Apprentice: This guy pulls his weight in an artifact matters deck.
Mystic Confluence: My first precons were the 2015 ones and this card has been in my blue decks ever since.
Song of the Dryads: Great catch all removal.
Tymna the Weaver: She's been in my Queen marchesa deck since i've made it a few years back, and she's a ton of value.
Unexpectedly Absent: Good catch all removal.
Chaos Warp: Again, good removal.
Least favorites:
Nothing that springs to mind.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

Obviously, Zedruu the Greathearted, but also Crystalline Crawler. That card is great, it's a colorless mana dork that can be free and also big.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

These are staples for me now. No surprise that other people have listed them. Maybe not for every deck, but I include these where relevant (and am always happy to draw them).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Off the top of my head, I always loved Ophiomancer.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

I'm just here to mention everyone's favorite swerve Comeuppance. I've killed every single Aetherflux Reservoir player I've gone against with it at least once. I've also seen Marisi, Breaker of the Coil and Disrupt Decorum used in board stall-prone playgroups to great effect.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Collective Voyage is bonkers and I love it.
Bone Miser is lots of fun.
In terms of commanders obviously Varina, Lich Queen is a favorite of mine.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Originally appearing in 2014, I have a soft spot for Myriad Landscape|C14. I like cards that reward playing fewer colours, and being a non-fixer (but still ramp!) really gives a leg up to casual monocolour or guild decks, especially those not in green.

Cards like that don't happen much.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Apex Altisaur has been pretty good for me. It's been a nice version of a green boardwipe effect.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”