Maro: "Gerrard sucked." How would you reinvent these legends as Commanders?

madmazda86
Pronoun: she / her

Post by madmazda86 » 4 years ago

Blogatog wrote:Squee was the one I liked the most. Sissy was good. Hanna was good. Karn was good. Tahngarth was okay. Orim was okay, Mirri was okay. Crovax was okay. Starke was quirky, but I liked it. Gerrard sucked.
I do love the subsequent version of Squee in Dominaria, How would you like to see these legends if they were reprinted, from a Commander perspective? Would you keep their original colours? What abilities should they have? How could poor old Gerrard be made awesome?

(Obviously Karn sparked so one wouldn't expect him to be reprinted as a non-planeswalker legend unless it was pre-spark)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I would like a new Orim, honestly, that does something more than just "super Samite Healer" especially since, mana efficiency concerns aside, it's a bad look for her to have the nonlegendary Master Healer beat her at her own game.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

I'd make Gerrard red/white I think. Other than that, no idea, my card creation skills are super rusty.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Gerrard should definitely be R/W at least. Converted mana cost should be at most 4. Having vigilance, haste and some looting would be nice as well.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Gerrard with Charisma as an ability...and first strike...in Boros.

I love that new Mirri is a completely different direction from her original print. They don't need to be homages to the original card. They probably should not be.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I think the original Orim is a really cool card. Just looks a little silly in today's Commander-centric environment where every legend needs like four abilities. If they did a modern take on Orim (other than Oriss!) you could possiby have a white-green version that still tapped to prevent damage but also said, "Tapped creatures you control have hexproof." so that she was still largely based around protecting yr units, or "Each tapped creature you control has protection from its colors" like Earnest Fellowship which, as a card title, could be her motto!

madmazda86
Pronoun: she / her

Post by madmazda86 » 4 years ago

Some interesting thoughts so far! I do like the idea of Orim doing something extra, protection seems like it would be fun!

Boros Gerrard does seem like the obvious option. Mind you, Raff was UW, so perhaps there are some other angles...

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

Gerrard should be RW, have first strike, and have a sacrifice ability, making his team indestructible. I think that would be fairly potent in the command zone for RW, ala Avacyn. Instead, however, also give him an anthem, maybe with Historic in mind. How about a city's blessing-esque effect? 10 or more Historic Permanents, creature you control get +2/+0 when attacking, 0/+2 when defending?
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Gerrard should definitely benefit all your team in some way. Maybe just legends, but still, he should definitely be a leader.

Here are the others I would change:

Orim: Actually, the phasing out of regeneration gives me an idea. Medicine Bag is a thing. So, "w, t, discard a card: Target creature gains indestructible until EOT." works. The other option is Orim's Chant, but I can't see how to put that on a creature and not be broken.

Tahngarth is interesting because if there's any question, it's mana cost. But you really have to be careful. The other question is the color pie, because vigilance. Thankfully, creatures are more knobby than other cards. I'd probably replace vigilance with either first strike or haste. Done.

Ertai is fine as he is. Both cards. Same with Squee. And Hanna. TBH, the only other one I might change is Crovax, but I specifically want a white-aligned "human" Crovax and a black-aligned "vampire" Crovax. And he has to feel like a vampire: A prototype for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite doesn't do that.

Rofellos actually needs a downgrade. I like the idea of scaling mana, but the way Rofellos does it is lolwtfbbq.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

LastConformist

Post by LastConformist » 4 years ago

Gerrard should probably just be a random good, undercosted creature, maybe with some abilities that are otherwise off-color for white, like haste, and a stronger version of his tap ability. He should be mono-white. He doesn't have any particular outstanding attributes other than being good at battle. Something like the below:

{Gerrard}
1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier

First strike, vigilance, haste
Whenever {Gerrard} attacks, you may tap or untap target creature.

3/4

For Orim, I like going overboard on her healing abilities:

{Orim}
WW
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures and planeswalkers you control.

1/3

These are pushed for Standard but not for Commander.

hyalopterouslemur

Yeah, preventing all damage is a bit pushed. It really hurts green and red. My solution works better, in my opinion. Just grant indestructible for a turn.

LastConformist

Post by LastConformist » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, preventing all damage is a bit pushed. It really hurts green and red. My solution works better, in my opinion. Just grant indestructible for a turn.
Discarding a card to grant a single creature indestructible is really weak. Maybe if it cost no mana and gave all of your creatures indestructible, but otherwise it's just bad.

Green and red have ways around my card. Red has damage that can't be prevented, green has destroy target permanent cards. She's still a mono-white 1/3 for WW - not exactly a powerhouse.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
Gerrard with Charisma as an ability...and first strike...in Boros.

I love that new Mirri is a completely different direction from her original print. They don't need to be homages to the original card. They probably should not be.
Curious, I actually designed a card in the past with a function just like that. MaRo also said that Gerrard would've been Boros but for some reason they made him mono-white and weakened by the new combat rule.

I'd definitely power up old legends cards. Not necessarily adding color to them, but make them a lot more viable. Orim for example, I love her as a character and how she went more "martial" during Mercadian Masque, she could be a legend who reanimates creature base on life gain and damage prevention, symbolized her role in the story. For example:

Orim, Samite Warrior
2WW
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric Warrior
2/4

Whenever damage is prevented, put that many healing counters on ~.
XW, tap: Prevent the next X damage dealt to any target.
Remove three healing counters on ~: Target creature or planeswalker gains protection of your choice until end of turn.
Remove seven healing counters on ~, tap: Return target creature or planeswalker from your graveyard to the battlefield.

hyalopterouslemur

You just have to hit T for the tap symbol, by the way.

Yeah, that sounds a lot better. You can understand how I got shocked by what's close to a two-mana Avacyn. (Not quite the same, but close.)

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 4 years ago

I liked Orim in her Mercadian Masque period style, but i doubt they will make both Gerrard and Orim boros, so i think she would be either mono white (most likely imo) or green white if a second color is added.

Orim, Samite Master 1ww
Legendary creature - Human Cleric
Whenever damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage and you gain 1 life.
1/4

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
4 years ago
Orim, Samite Master 1ww
Whenever damage would be dealt to you or a permanent you control, prevent 1 of that damage and you gain 1 life.
1/4
I like this. Simple, clean, elegant, and yet with a surprising amount of depth.

Would be absolutely nuts as a card in a pestilence deck though. :)

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 4 years ago

I like Gerard to be more quirky I think;

Gerrard 1rw
Legendary human warrior
First strike
Whenever gerrard deals damage to a creature, gain control of it tapped and attacking target player, until end of turn.
3/4

And orims chant on a stick should be fine, right?
Orim www
Legendary human cleric
Life link
1w, discard a card: creatures cant attack you this turn. Your opponent's can't cast spells this turn.
1/5

serrasin

Post by serrasin » 4 years ago

Gerrard is a commander/general so he should have special abilities equal to tactics and combat.

Gerrard 2RW
Legendary Human General

When Gerrard is assigned to attack or block, you may discard a card for each attacking or blocking creature which you control. When you discard a card in this way, you may perform one of these actions:

- Draw a card
-Creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of turn.
-Create a 1/1 white human soldier token.
-Shuffle a card in your graveyard into your deck.

2/2

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
4 years ago
Orim, Samite Master 1ww
1/4
I like this. Simple, clean, elegant, and yet with a surprising amount of depth.

Would be absolutely nuts as a card in a pestilence deck though. :)
Thanks!

True, though she can't lead the deck then.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”