Random Deck of the Week Thread

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

It returns. Revived from @mtgsally, I present to you; Random Deck of the Week. This thread will function in much the same way as before, but do read below for a few changes I'm making to the format. Functionality changes to ensure a better spread out spotlight to all the players interested in submitting a list.

What sort of comments should you leave here?

• Have you played with a deck like this before? If so, tell us about it! Would you recommend building a deck like this? What about your deck was similar to this? Did you use the same colors and general, or were you playing something strategically similar? Did you play mostly the same cards? What cards are a uniquely good fit for this deck? What's would be your favorite card to draw from this deck? Is there an opponent this deck is really good against or really bad? Is there a number of players you find this deck ideal for? What seemingly obvious inclusions would you say are traps to avoid? Do you have any particularly memorable moments from playing something like this?
• Have you played against a deck like this before? If so, tell us about that! How would you feel playing against this deck? Has this style of decks given you good games or bad ones? How do you feel sitting across the table from this commander, and does this deck meet your expectations? What card is in the back of your mind that you hope your opponent doesn't draw? Are any cards you play especially bad against this deck or especially good against it? If you wanted to set up a good matchup, either for competitive or entertainment purposes, what deck would you play against this? Do you have any particularly memorable moments from playing against a deck like this?
• Regardless of your past experience, were you inspired reading this decklist? What in this deck would you want to imitate? What would you least want to imitate? What in this deck have you never thought about before? Are there any strategies you feel would overlap nicely with what this deck is doing? Are there any ideas from this deck you would consider adding to your own other decks? Would you rather play with this deck or against it? If you were to recommend this deck to someone you know, what type of player would that be, and how would you sell them on it?
And of course, try to limit discussion to whatever the current deck is. Some overlap is inevitable, but please don't distract from the current deck by responding to otherwise concluded conversations.

Should you leave comments or questions for the deckbuilder?

Absolutely, 100%, isn’t that the whole point of discussions like these? I hope that people see when their decks been picked and involve themselves here over the course of their moment, but there's no guarantee of that. There's no better place to discuss a deck with its builder than in their thread itself.

As an aside, it would be for the best to gauge the at least rough power level a deck is sitting at. i.e. if a deck appears to be a fresh out of the box set with a couple of edits, then suggesting Mana Drain will look as silly as a fish out of water. Similarly, if a deck’s stated goal is as an entry into cEDH play, then offering suggestions based on a “theme” or creative outlet is surely to be misplaced as cEDH games are about ruthless efficiency than a theme or other non-quantifiable statistical measure. While it’s true the only bad suggestion is the one left unmade, I’d implore you to think about the authour’s goals, before making a suggestion. Remember, oftentimes these decks have been played by them for much longer than the time you spent reading over it, so if a seemingly obvious card has been left out, there may be a reason for it! And that reason for omission, in and of itself, may be a better conversation point to the authour than the “why aren’t you playing card name” question that oh-so-often gets glossed over.

How do you get your decks into the Random Deck of the Week

First, you need to meet just a few requirements:
1. You need a link to your list. I can't take stray decklists as submissions, so you need a url to link to. Whether that’s on @mtgnexus or @tappedout is sufficient for me.
2. Your deck list must be a 100 card Commander deck, including the commander(s). I’d refrain from submitting lists full of variant rules and banlists as it only serves to create confusion to the reader which will put someone off from commenting on your brew. YMMV, however!
3. You genuinely want feedback. Not all feedback is complimentary, but this is the internet and if you don’t have the ability to distinguish constructive feedback from a personal attack then this thread may not be the right place for you. If you want to have people talking about your deck, go in with the mindset that all comments are welcome; this proves to be the best way to both learn, and grow as a deckbuilder.
4. A word to the wise, if a poster should make suggestions, and you quickly dismiss them all, others will read that as being close-minded to opportunities for change. Even tenured decks have opportunities for advancement. For example I’ve played and maintained my own Kaalia of the Vast primer for the past eight years now, and I’d consider myself an expert with the deck, but I’m also not so naive and bull-headed that I refuse to listen to suggestions that could improve my match-ups, in spite of the sheer mass of cards I’ve used over those years. And if such a tenured decklist as that can respond positively to suggestions, then anyone can. Just keep that in mind, these posters are after all spending their free time to give you and your decks attention they otherwise weren’t obligated to give.

That's it! If you've got a handle on those and you have decks you would like to have a chance at Random Deck of the Week, just submit the link to your deck, I'll pull out your username and deck title from there. Message me the deck list you want to add to the pool, using the "send message" button when you click my name. I currently am accepting ONE deck list per player to ensure that each submitter has an equal opportunity for a deck spotlight. If you want a new list featured, message me and I will replace the current featured list with your new request.

I will leave each featured decklist up for one calendar week (seven days) to allow a robust albeit slow time for everyone to comment on a decklist when they have an opportunity to do so.
Lastly, keep in mind the golden rule to these types of threads, which Bill & Ted said best; Be excellent to each other! With that in mind, your experience in this thread should always be a positive one!

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Oof, one decklist each? Gonna have to think about it and get back to you. I assume if our list gets featured we can submit a new list to the roster?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Oof, one decklist each? Gonna have to think about it and get back to you. I assume if our list gets featured we can submit a new list to the roster?

Dragonlover
Yes, correct.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Hi, bumping this thread here because it seems to have been buried. I have five entries to-date, but I'd like more before putting this into the rotation. So if anyone has the interest in getting some extra eyes on their work, hmu! Thanks.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

75chan
Shoegaze ♥
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by 75chan » 4 years ago

I'll submit something later when I get the time. Thanks for bringing back this thread! (I missed it until now).
I swap decks a lot
wr Avacyn with defensive blinking
ur OG Jhoira spellslinger without MLD or eldrazi
and some other stuff that are more or less messy

Best card

3drinks

75chan wrote:
4 years ago
I'll submit something later when I get the time. Thanks for bringing back this thread! (I missed it until now).
Happy to help! I too loved the constructive discussions we had going on back then.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

I've got enough for about two months of discussion. Should we open this up now, or wait for a few more?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Two months of chat seems good, I imagine once the ball get's rolling properly it might inspire more people to chuck a deck in too.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

I agree, let's start, and then if no one else chucks in a deck you can just ask for seconds.
I swap decks a lot

Best card

3drinks

Alright then. First deck off to the races will be rolling.

Lazav, the Multifarious by [mention]NoNeedToBragoBoutIt[/mention]!

Looks like we've got some self-mill for the obvious Lazav setup and some interesting ideas with persist creatures to play protect the voltron. Intriguing.

Discussion will last through August 24th, 2019, 8am PST.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Am I right in saying the basic plan is to swing with Lazav as something that's small and unblockable then turn him into something big post-blocks? Cause if not my ability to read decklists is worse than I thought!

Would you consider expanding out to Sultai and using the new Volrath as the commander?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

This looks rather sweet. I've never played, either with or against the commander, so I can't say anything about how things are practice, but it certainly looks quite nice both to play with and against. In a way it's the exact type of deck I'd love to borrow once in a blue moon, but wouldn't like to play often enough to own myself, as I don't like playing strategies that fold to either GY hate or repeated commander removal. I love how cards that are useless elsewhere in the format is great here, I had no idea Cephalid Inkshrouder existed but I'm happy it has a home. Mindshrieker is an old pet card of mine that I'm happy sees play here.

Now, if I'd own the deck myself, the absolute first thing I'd add would be a Cavern Harpy. There are some things shroud, or even your persist-undying combo (which I really dig) can get itself out of (like a Hallowed Burial so the ability to bounce and then recast Lazav for the cheap cost of two mana and a life seems great.

Training Grounds seems like an auto-include. Not sure if you omitted it by intention (it's kinda expensive and narrow) or just forgot it, but it seems like a bonkers card to run here. Buried Alive and Intuition are other library-to-GY tutors that I'd throw in. And since you're on Force, I'd also add a Swan Song, possibly a Negate and a Disallow because yard hate is something you kind of need to stop. I don't know how common it is where you play, but Rest in Peace seems like game over, Disallow also has the upside of getting rid of Bojuka Bog triggers. Bribery could be a potential inclusion, just to grab a Reclamation Sage from the green player to get rid of pesky yard hate cards.

Phyrexian Dreadnought is a sweet, but sadly expensive, 1-cost P/T-boost.

You're in notion-wheels, and I doubt you want to pursue this route further but Dream Salvage is my kind of spice and it'd be decent, but probably too narrow. I assume the lack of Narset, Parter of Veils is by choice.

Oneirophage might be a bit expensive, but it has fun wheel synergy.

Honestly, there's probably a lot of great, fun, unknown creatures that can fit the deck. I might look/think a bit more about it later, since it's a fun deck but this is all I got for now.
I swap decks a lot

Best card

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I don't have much experience with Lazav, the Multifarious - I've only seen a Lazav deck in action once or twice. The game I recall I was actually just spectating and not participating. Lategame, they had Lazav out and a pretty stocked graveyard. I asked to see the player's hand and they passed it over, telling me they felt pretty confident they were able to win in a few turns. I tried to puzzle out what their plan was and picked out some sort of 4 piece combo, only for them to attempt to win with an entirely different combo using even more cards... and run out of mana, because they messed up the math.

That sort of characterizes my opinion of Lazav decks: hard to predict, hard to pilot, and very interesting to see in action.

Looking at the deck, my assumption is that the deck's primary gameplan is to win via commander damage - grant Lazav evasion, then transform it into something big, such as Nyxathid or Nighthowler. Alternative gameplans are beating down with those large creatures directly, or setting up something like Notion Thief + Windfall.

Various thoughts:
- Nyxathid and Wake Thrasher are both pretty entertaining inclusions that make great use of Lazav's shapeshifting ability.
- The wheel package (Windfall, Dark Deal, etc) also looks pretty interesting. I see Notion Thief to take advantage of wheeling your opponents, but I don't see a ton of ways to take advantage of wheeling yourself other than filling the graveyard (in which case, just doing mill may be preferable). I'll throw out Archfiend of Ifnir, Chasm Skulker, Toothy, Imaginary Friend, and Psychosis Crawler as suggestions.
- I've seen Phyrexian Dreadnought already mentioned as a cheap beater, but I'll throw out Wall of Blood as a spicy option if you want to embrace the Hatred. Cavern Harpy and Buried Alive are two other cards that seem like they could be a good fit.
- The deck looks pretty reliant on the graveyard, but I don't see a ton of answers to things like Leyline of the Void and Rest in Peace. There aren't a ton of options in Dimir, but having something like Oblivion Stone or the new Mire in Misery may be worth consideration. A bit of a meta call though.
- You look to be pretty light on interaction - around 3 counterspells, 3 spot removal spells, one pseudo-sweeper, and Cyclonic Rift. May be worth running a couple of actual boardwipes (especially if the only creature you need to stick is Lazav, given its low cost + various protections you have) like Damnation or Crux of Fate. Also, other counterspells, such as Counterspell, Negate, or Swan Song.

3drinks

The iteration I've seen of this deck utilized Phage the Untouchable in the yard similar to the way the interaction works between Scion of the Ur-Dragon, Moltensteel Dragon, and Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon. Was a cool combo, but you could see it coming from a mile away - the trick was to have a protection guy (invisible stalker would seem to do the trick) just to ensure you complete the combo successfully.

I like it.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

The card that jumps out at me is Cosi's Trickster. I had a casual 60 card deck back in the day built around Cosi's Trickster and extract effects that I enjoyed, so I've been known to sneak a trickster into my blue edh decks now and then and watch it get huge because everyone shuffles in edh constantly. Unfortunately, a single creature getting really big doesn't mean a whole lot. I like that this deck manages to use Cosi's Trickster better than just a pet card. Bonus points for hitting with Lazav Adel and then 1 mana transforming into Cosi's Multifarious to get the trigger off of them shuffling from you searching their deck.

Lazav looks like a great commander for playing secret actual commanders in the 99.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

First off, thanks for all the kind words and advice, i appreciate it a lot! :party:
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Looks like we've got some self-mill for the obvious Lazav setup and some interesting ideas with persist creatures to play protect the voltron. Intriguing.
A friend of mine is running a Scion of the Ur-Dragon list, that's largely a Voltron list with options to turn him into a hexproof dragon, so one of my first inspirations was to search for protective gear for my commander. Darksteel Myr and Yahenni, Undying Partisan were the first two i've tried, but a lot of things go around indestructibility in commander, so i was looking for alternatives. Persist (Lesser Masticore et al) and Undying (Butcher Ghoul et al) have been a lot better, plus both come with additional ETBs of Lazav, the Multifarious.
Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
Would you consider expanding out to Sultai and using the new Volrath as the commander?
I'd propably never swap for Volrath, the Shapestealer. Going from a CMC of 2 to 5 can be back breaking for a Voltron list. Lazav, the Multifarious has the huge advantage of dropping him on turn 2. If an opponent feels like spending early removal or a counter on him, they don't advance their game plan and i only have to spend 4 mana and might've surveiled once already.
75chan wrote:
4 years ago
I love how cards that are useless elsewhere in the format is great here, I had no idea Cephalid Inkshrouder existed but I'm happy it has a home. Mindshrieker is an old pet card of mine that I'm happy sees play here.

Now, if I'd own the deck myself, the absolute first thing I'd add would be a Cavern Harpy. There are some things shroud, or even your persist-undying combo (which I really dig) can get itself out of (like a Hallowed Burial so the ability to bounce and then recast Lazav for the cheap cost of two mana and a life seems great.

Training Grounds seems like an auto-include. Not sure if you omitted it by intention (it's kinda expensive and narrow) or just forgot it, but it seems like a bonkers card to run here. Buried Alive and Intuition are other library-to-GY tutors that I'd throw in.
Phyrexian Dreadnought is a sweet, but sadly expensive, 1-cost P/T-boost.

You're in notion-wheels, and I doubt you want to pursue this route further but Dream Salvage is my kind of spice and it'd be decent, but probably too narrow. I assume the lack of Narset, Parter of Veils is by choice.
Oneirophage might be a bit expensive, but it has fun wheel synergy.
Having decks that utilize cards that are sub par to unplayable elsewhere is one of the main reasons why i'm playing EDH. This deck alone has so many great interactions! Cephalid Inkshrouder, Disciple of Deceit, Gurmag Swiftwing, Lesser Masticore, Maralen of the Mornsong, Nyxathid, Vector Asp, ...

Cavern Harpy is one of the cards i'd like to add to the deck soon. Training Grounds, Intuition and Phyrexian Dreadnought propably aren't. The deck isn't there yet to spend +60€ on a three card package. A lot of times Thran Turbine is already sweet enough, since it can reduce transforming cost to 0 (once).
I might as well add my Want List in an additional post, since that could be interesting in context of this thread.

Buried Alive was in the deck, but being sorcery speed, it rarely aligned with enough mana for killing swings. I've seen Corpse Connoisseur and Final Parting in other lists and assume those are even worse. With the amount of redundancy in the deck a well timed Entomb usually does plenty to achieve that.
And yes, Narset, Parter of Veils isn't included in the deck on purpose. The deck doesn't wheel enough and has too few targets to hit with her activated ability. Oneirophage is cute, but i'd really like to keep the cost of most creatures below 4. It would be a lot better if there were more wheels to run, though. If the commander were Grixis, it would be amazing.

As far as additional counters go, Disallow and Tale's End would be good additions. But if i'd add more options i'd rather aim for other "free"/mana-neutral counters like Pact of Negation, Force of Negation, Foil or Spell Swindle to keep mana for activations up.
Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
That sort of characterizes my opinion of Lazav decks: hard to predict, hard to pilot, and very interesting to see in action.

Various thoughts:
- The wheel package (Windfall, Dark Deal, etc) also looks pretty interesting. I see Notion Thief to take advantage of wheeling your opponents, but I don't see a ton of ways to take advantage of wheeling yourself other than filling the graveyard (in which case, just doing mill may be preferable). I'll throw out Archfiend of Ifnir, Chasm Skulker, Toothy, Imaginary Friend, and Psychosis Crawler as suggestions.
- The deck looks pretty reliant on the graveyard, but I don't see a ton of answers to things like Leyline of the Void and Rest in Peace. There aren't a ton of options in Dimir, but having something like Oblivion Stone or the new Mire in Misery may be worth consideration. A bit of a meta call though.
- You look to be pretty light on interaction - around 3 counterspells, 3 spot removal spells, one pseudo-sweeper, and Cyclonic Rift.
It's not that hard to figure out once you played with/against it. But the more often you play it and get to know its lines of play, your play decisions and results get a lot better. Of my 16 decks it's one of the most entertaining to maneuver and likely the second most entertaining (with Zada, Hedron Grinder being first) to see in action.

I've considered Mill as well. Glimpse the Unthinkable would be good, Jace, Memory Adept as well, but rather mana intense. Mesmeric Orb is amazing, but always risky, as it can set up an opponent. Outside of Glimpse the Unthinkable i didn't find too many options i'd really like to include. Wheeling effects have the advantage of refilling my hand. Unfortunately your creature suggestions are pretty mana intense and slow.

I'm quite lucky that my meta is as hate light as it gets. Ground Seal, Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void, Planar Void and the likes see close to zero play. Bojuka Bog, Rakdos Charm and Ravenous Trap do see play, but the deck is rather quick at rebuilding a 'yard, thanks to redundancy. I'm going to add a few more things to maximize on that.

I'm a firm believer in "Games have to end eventually". 3 Spot Removals, 2 Board Wipes, 3 Counters are usually just enough to deal with anything that keeps others from winning. Nothing worse than a game of EDH if anyone comes riding with 20 interactive cards and games grind to an unpleasant halt.
As for anything that's hard to deal with in Dimir colors i have Memory Plunder, Mnemonic Betrayal and Unstable Obelisk.
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
The iteration I've seen of this deck utilized Phage the Untouchable in the yard similar to the way the interaction works between Scion of the Ur-Dragon, Moltensteel Dragon, and Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon. Was a cool combo, but you could see it coming from a mile away - the trick was to have a protection guy (invisible stalker would seem to do the trick) just to ensure you complete the combo successfully.
Phage the Untouchable was in the deck up until recently, but 8 mana is just a lot. I can't recall a time i won with her, unless i Entombed her EOT before my turn.
tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
The card that jumps out at me is Cosi's Trickster. I had a casual 60 card deck back in the day built around Cosi's Trickster and extract effects that I enjoyed, so I've been known to sneak a trickster into my blue edh decks now and then and watch it get huge because everyone shuffles in edh constantly. Unfortunately, a single creature getting really big doesn't mean a whole lot. I like that this deck manages to use Cosi's Trickster better than just a pet card.

Lazav looks like a great commander for playing secret actual commanders in the 99.
Cephalid Inkshrouder, Cosi's Trickster, Hedron Crab, Maralen of the Mornsong and Ornithopter are by far the Top 5 creatures to be picked up by an opponent to read while smirking. I love having these moments - on both sides of the table.

On Sally we had a thread floating around that was very combo oriented. Crackdown Construct + Lightning Greaves+ another creature, Buried Alive + Ornithopter + Phyrexian Dreadnought, ... plenty of things.
And i'm sure you could run an insane Toolbox creature selection as well!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

Lazav, the Multifarious by NoNeedToBragoBoutIt!

For whoever may be interested, here's my current Wants List and a few remarks about my Meta:

My Meta
- Mana Crypt & Sol Ring are house banned.
- There are more or less no MLD, infinites or extra turns.
- Aside of preferences our decks are in between Optimized and Focused.
- Despite Aggro and Voltron (to a lesser extent) being viable, Midrange and Control decks are prevalent.
- I am known to be one of the more aggressive, curve-minded players in our group.
- Most of my decks have an avg. CMC between 2,5 and 3,0.

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

Yeah, the budget of those cards make it more than fair enough not running them.

I'd run Buried Alive as an effective refill in response to graveyard hate (Stinkweed+2 should do the trick) but if you don't run into yard hate that often, it's not as good.

Force of Negation is great, of course. It's just very expensive right now though, haha. But it'd be my #1 choice of a counterspell to add here, but you probably know best when you wish for counterspells ingame.

Anyways, a couple more random cards that probably aren't good enough but might fit: Thief of Sanity Pain Seer Cephalid Constable Needle Specter Daring Thief Ebonblade Reaper. I assume changing P/T after getting your Constable/Specter trigger lets it trigger for the new P/T? It might be huge blowouts, especially for Constable, but it might also be unfun if you bounce 7 or so permanents of a single player, if you're worried about that.
I swap decks a lot

Best card

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

75chan wrote:
4 years ago
Anyways, a couple more random cards that probably aren't good enough but might fit: Thief of Sanity Pain Seer Cephalid Constable Needle Specter Daring Thief Ebonblade Reaper. I assume changing P/T after getting your Constable/Specter trigger lets it trigger for the new P/T? It might be huge blowouts, especially for Constable, but it might also be unfun if you bounce 7 or so permanents of a single player, if you're worried about that.
(?Un?)fortunately, the rules don't work that way. There's no window of opportunity to change the amount of damage after "deals combat damage" triggers are put on the stack, because the damage is already dealt at that point.

Ebonblade Reaper and Virtus the Veiled are cute, but take 5 hits to kill in a vacuum (40>19>9>4>1>†), which makes any creature with power 6+ at least one swing faster. At similar CMC you have Hunted Horror, Nyxathid, Phyrexian Dreadnought and Phyrexian Soulgorger and several X/X-creatures, that are all 2-3 turn clocks.

I'd run Wall of Blood over them.

3drinks

If not Phage, there's always Leveler & Eater of Days...easier to transform into.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

Having glanced through the gatherer, the most amusing thing I can see is to use a bunch of level-up cards. Their CC to P/T is exactly what you're looking for. Also, once leveled up they all have extremely strong effects. So you can swap Lazav between a beater, removal or utility. This amuses me enough I might actually build it myself. It doesn't have much synergy with your persist/undying effects though.

Coralhelm Commander
Lighthouse Chronologist
Echo Mage
Enclave Cryptologist
Guul Draz Assassin
Hada Spy Patrol
Halimar Wavewatch
Null Champion
Skywatcher Adept
Zulaport Enforcer

Other things that jumped to mind are Palladium Myr as a ramp spell and tree of perdition as a way to crunch people's life. Deadeye Tracker is card advantage/permanent damage boost. Pteramander is evasion and a permanent damage boost. Spectral Sailor is evasion and a mana-dump for card advantage.

Merrow Bonegnawer has to be breakable somehow. Myr Welder also.

Glancing through EDHrec
Bontu the Glorified and Thassa, God of the Sea seem like a great way to protect him.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
there's always Leveler & Eater of Days
The reason i'm not running either of them are that they don't enable two shots and there are less mana intense three shot options (+ two shot Phyrexian Dreadnought and one shot Phage the Untouchable) and their second downside is... well their abysmal downsides! While something like Phage the Untouchable is already akward to hard cast in case i'm unable to discard her, both of them are death wishes as far as that goes.
materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
Tree of Perdition as a way to crunch people's life.

Pteramander is evasion and a permanent damage boost.
Despite different approaches to Lazav, the Multifarious i like both of these suggestions a lot.
Tree of Perdition is absolutely absurd if you shapeshift into Ornithopter or else while the ability is still on the stack! I am very tempted to include it, despite being very different from what the deck is doing at the moment.
Pteramander is so obviously fitting my strategy, it hurts that i overlooked it! Adapt 4 from the graveyard is amazing and just enough to push some of my (future) beatsticks from being three shot enablers to being two shot enablers. I might have to research a few more options that do that. :thinking:

3drinks

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

Lazav, the Multifarious by NoNeedToBragoBoutIt!

We're in the final ninety minutes until a new deck of the week is posted. Any last feedbacks for [mention]NoNeedToBragoBoutIt[/mention] ?

Err, I am half retarded and need to RTF my own dang posts. New submission coming imminently.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Next deck up for discussion is...

White Border Alesha - [mention]3drinks[/mention]

Grindy card advantage ploys, sacrifice strategies, and a lot of old school nostalgia is the name of the game here, but most curious is the steadfast decision to remain only in white border cards. It's actually kinda cute when it's all in WB, and the power level is surprisingly high, I'd say it's a real contendre for "75%" status. It's cool to remember just how harsh the [non-creature] cards were back in the day. They really don't make 'em like this anymore.

Okay, enough of my reminiscing for an older time in the game; discussion will last on this deck until Monday, August 2nd, 2019 @ 6:45am PST.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

75chan
Shoegaze ♥

I have no feedback due to theme (there aren't that many white-bordered sets not counting foreign reprints so I'm assuming you looked through all) and lack of experience with and against Alesha (I have in fact never either played with or against the card) and mardu in general, as I've never played the color combination and have only played a handful games vs it.

That being said, a full white-bordered deck is cool. It's a nice way of lowering powerlevel without intentionally doing so.

Does your opponents, particularly ones not fond of white ever get salty over the white borders? Is Helm of Chatzuk putting in work or is it only there for fun?
I swap decks a lot

Best card

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”