First thread, Ashling help

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

So today i was playing a game of EDH and since my decks are so much more powerful (And I went with a really cheap shot to end the game) So I ended up treating one deck as all mountains (Aside from one card... to play the part of Valukut, the Molten pinnacle) and just loaded Ashling the Pilgrim on my phone. It was funa nd in fact it worke dos well than an opponent of mine bough Ashling right after to build a deck as well.

so while i was running "basically" 99 mountains, i want to change that. I have some ideas already abut i am thinking of keeping my mountain count fairly high to keep the LOLs of running ashling to still be there, along with some equipment to make her indestructible, Soul's fire, Chandra's Ignition for some fun. So i am looking for help. some burn spells to bring their life total lower than mine (Hopefully) and then activate ashling to go pop and kill them before i die.

so help please.
Last edited by Gashnaw 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Can't go wrong with an Expedition Map instead of a Mountain (for Valukut).

I'd play Koth of the Hammer. Getting that emblem with tons of Mountains would be pretty nice, and the mana abilities can be sunk into Ashling ability.

Any "protection from red" works nice, so Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of Sinew and Steel, Sword of War and Peace,

Gashnaw

Koth is not in a deck at the moment so i can throw him in there.
i forgot pro red means no damage form red sources. Too bad all counters get removed from her ability or she would be OP. (well just like 100 times better)

I was planning on extraplanar lens, Gauntlet of power, gauntlet of might and Caged sun. just to rack up the mana. be able to tap 1 lands and do the ability twice kind of thing, rack her counter up during other player's turns. Copy it with strionic resonator. (or would the copies trigger the 3rd time this turn clause? Well either way, i could sink all that mana if she survives the initial strike thanks to a sword of pro red and pro other color.

i also plan to use other mass damage spells like the OG fireball. (Since i plan to have lots of mana)

EDIT: i realize i made a mistake Resonator would only copy the "remove all counters" So my new question is if it would deal the same amount of damage or if the fact that there are no counters left to remove, would it instead do 0?

at the same time I am going to run Rings of brighthearth hoping that using rings to copy her ability would not detonate her.

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

When I had a 99-mountains + Ashling deck, one of the first things that I added were some sweeps like Obliterate and Jokulhaups and my personal favorite card in mono-Red, Chaos Warp.
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

Gashnaw

Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago
When I had a 99-mountains + Ashling deck, one of the first things that I added were some sweeps like Obliterate and Jokulhaups and my personal favorite card in mono-Red, Chaos Warp.
I was thinking about them.

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Istarkano wrote:
4 years ago
I was thinking about them.
Yeah, I just like having access to some answers. I think Koth of the Hammer is also definitely worth a slot (as was mentioned above).
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

JqlGirl
Arbitrix of the CAG
Pronoun: she / her

Post by JqlGirl » 4 years ago

Here's the link to my Ashling deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ashlings ... ilgrimage/
My list is trying to do pretty much the same thing you are, but over time it's evolved to include more indestructible stuff.
Take a look, I hope you'll find some pieces you enjoy!

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

I've had a fun exercise in my brain for a few years now about how to change a 99-mountain Ashling deck into a 'real' Ashling deck. The task is to, one card at a time, remove a mountain and add another card that would make the deck significantly better. It could even be a fun forum game.

Step 0:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
99 Mountain

Step 1:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
1 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
98 Mountain

Step 2:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
1 Expedition Map
97 Mountain

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

Arcbond. Magebane Armor. Loxodon Warhammer. Preventing lifegain with Leyline of Punishment and Tibalt, Rakish Instigator could be useful.

Ring of Valkas could also be potentially interesting.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Echota

Post by Echota » 4 years ago

I started with the 99 unsleeved mountains & Ashling deck and have been tuning a still land heavy build for years. Check out the decklist here. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-05-1 ... 1565719332

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
I've had a fun exercise in my brain for a few years now about how to change a 99-mountain Ashling deck into a 'real' Ashling deck. The task is to, one card at a time, remove a mountain and add another card that would make the deck significantly better. It could even be a fun forum game.

Step 0:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
99 Mountain

Step 1:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
98 Mountain

Step 2:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
1 Expedition Map
97 Mountain

This feels like a fun quest/challenge that I may try if my playgroup ever gets back to playing super regularly: Ashling's Pilgrimage

- Start with Ashling + 99 Mountains.

- Every time Ashling kills an opposing player, you may replace a basic mountain with a card post-game.

- (Optional) Every time you are the first player KOd, you have to swap a card back down to a basic mountain.

Echota

Post by Echota » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago

Step 0:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
99 Mountain

Step 1:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
98 Mountain

Step 2:
1 Ashling, the Pilgrim
1 Expedition Map
97 Mountain

This feels like a fun quest/challenge that I may try if my playgroup ever gets back to playing super regularly: Ashling's Pilgrimage

- Every time Ashling kills an opposing player, you may replace a basic mountain with a card post-game.

- (Optional) Every time you are the first player KOd, you have to swap a card back down to a basic mountain.
theres a lot of equipment thats essential for an Ashling deck. Add lands and equipment first. Its like shes discovering new lands and acquiring useful tools along her pilgrimage.

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
So today i was playing a game of EDH and since my decks are so much more powerful (And I went with a really cheap shot to end the game) So I ended up treating one deck as all mountains (Aside from one card... to play the part of Valukut, the Molten pinnacle) and just loaded Ashling the Pilgrim on my phone. It was funa nd in fact it worke dos well than an opponent of mine bough Ashling right after to build a deck as well.

so while i was running "basically" 99 mountains, i want to change that. I have some ideas already abut i am thinking of keeping my mountain count fairly high to keep the LOLs of running ashling to still be there, along with some equipment to make her indestructible, Soul's fire, Chandra's Ignition for some fun. So i am looking for help. some burn spells to bring their life total lower than mine (Hopefully) and then activate ashling to go pop and kill them before i die.

so help please.

Can't go wrong with Basilisk Collar|WWK and Lightning Greaves|CMD

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Hawk wrote:
4 years ago

If I were to do this, I think I would invert the upgrade/downgrade conditions. Every time you utterly lose a game, you're permitted an upgrade. I think it'd be exceptionally hard to win with 99 Mountain Ashling (and significantly easier to win once you hit the 40 land mark and are not just continually bricking draws), and that you might be stuck that way for a while.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”