First Annual Commander Climate Survey

FunkyDragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FunkyDragon » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I am fairly happy with the format and even happy with most of the decisions the RC makes, but I do not care for having an independent body in charge of it from a conceptual standpoint. I would prefer WOTC hire these guys and integrate them into commander development fully,
I really don't get that. I mean, had WOTC created the format, sure; but they didn't. It was EDH long before WOTC changed the name and slapped a tramp stamp on it. It has certainly received more attention since getting the official nod, but if one of the most popular formats of all time was independently created, why shouldn't it be independently managed?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

FunkyDragon wrote:
4 years ago
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I am fairly happy with the format and even happy with most of the decisions the RC makes, but I do not care for having an independent body in charge of it from a conceptual standpoint. I would prefer WOTC hire these guys and integrate them into commander development fully,
I really don't get that. I mean, had WOTC created the format, sure; but they didn't. It was EDH long before WOTC changed the name and slapped a tramp stamp on it. It has certainly received more attention since getting the official nod, but if one of the most popular formats of all time was independently created, why shouldn't it be independently managed?
I think wizards is better equipped to manage formats than independent bodies, for a variety of reasons - access to more information, the fact that they're printing the cards that go into it, and the ones maintaining the comprehensive rules that interact pretty substantially with the commander rules.

I don't think there is any way the format would have been as popular as it's gotten without tons of support from WOTC, however.

But I wouldn't say I think that wizards should just take it from them; more that they should hire them, pay them, and fully integrate them into the business model. I think it'd be more successful, better, and safer for the future of the format.

I would not say my opinion is anywhere near objectively correct and wouldn't present it that way. Just my opinion.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

I'm genuinely surprised that Deadeye Navigator didn't get more votes to get yeeted out of this game. My local groups have soft banned it for years.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 4 years ago

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
What's with all the hate on mana crypt? It can go in every deck!
I get that it's an expensive card and that prices out some players but I don't think the monitory value of a card should ever be factored into a banning.
We are sensitive to the secondary market while making sure that we're not held hostage by it. I can imagine that if we banned Mana Crypt right now, we'd face serious backlash--but if it were in the long-term interest of the format, I believe that we would do it. There are times you do things when you must, not because you want to. I definitely wouldn't want to do that (and please don't read anything into this commentary regarding the card itself).

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
I get that it's an expensive card and that prices out some players but I don't think the monitory value of a card should ever be factored into a banning.
Fast mana leads to imbalanced starts and there's a vocal majority of players who feel it should be banned. There's almost as much support for a Sol Ring ban (1718 votes vs 1995 for Crypt right now) and that has much wider availability. Those are just the two biggest offenders when it comes to fast mana.
#ftfy #BanFastMana2019

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
Most, not some. That’s my only issue with it. Losing to a wallet sucks.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

I just got done voting. Unban Recurring Nightmare, ban nothing, keep the status quo on pretty much everything, format's great, RC's great, my opinions receive exactly the attention they deserve, and so on.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I spent a lot of money for my mana crypts but I think i would rather they print them into the ground than ban them. Put them in every precon and do it every year. IDGAF.

Those fun explosive starts are fun for me. Even when someone else gets them.

It's weird for me as it took me quite a while to get around to that, but I find the games tend to be pretty epic that way. And they usually get over with faster which is fine.

I really do not want to play Mana Dork: The Gathering without any fun rocks.

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I spent a lot of money for my mana crypts but I think i would rather they print them into the ground than ban them. Put them in every precon and do it every year. IDGAF.

It's weird for me as it took me quite a while to get around to that, but I find the games tend to be pretty epic that way. And they usually get over with faster which is fine.

I feel the same way, my mana crypt is a judge promo but even then I'd rather they printed it into oblivion, lose all my value and gave everyone access to it than take it away from everyone.
Those fast start explosive plays make for the greatest games. The games that are etched into my memory are the ones where someone at the table shot into an early lead and the rest of the table had to work together to pick their board state apart. I think if you play cards that force that early lead you also expect that.
If I play a turn 1 mana crypt and the rest of the table can't slow me down I think it's more on their deckbuilding than anything else!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago

I couldn’t agree more, print the crap out of them. Fast mana is fine by me, me so long as there’s reasonable access to it for a reasonable price.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Reprint everything into the dirt! Make EDH accessible to all!

They actually had a decent run of rock reprinting last year with back to back Thran Dynamo and Gilded Lotus. The Dynamo's crept back up again though. Stupid popular format.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

The adult part of me would like heavy reprinting because it feels really weird to look at a masterpiece Mana Crypt|MPS and realise that single card costs significantly more than my entire deck. The Timmy part of me would love it because I can't help but feel joy at the mental image of four commanders all with Swords of X and Y in each hand. (I know that'll never happen, but it makes the idea all the more appealing).
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Souma

Post by Souma » 4 years ago

My cards would lose a lot of value, but that's a price I am willing to pay.

Reprint more.

Hissp

Post by Hissp » 4 years ago

FunkyDragon wrote:
4 years ago
Hissp wrote:
4 years ago
I would love to see the command zone tax changed to: Cards cast from the command zone cost {2} more to cast for each time a card is returned to the command zone; this is an additional cost.
So, if you had partner commanders, the commander tax would be cumulative between them rather than tracked inividually? Like, I cast Krav three times, and he dies each time. Now I cast Regna for the first time, and I have to pay an extra {6} even though it's the first time she's been cast?
Yes, exactly.
When you have a partner commander you essentially start with an extra card in your hand.
There should be some drawback to this advantage.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

I wouldn't ban anything without necessarily a like replacement. For example, I'd love to ban CycRift (I even just bought one too) and replace it with something more along the lines of Winds of Abandon. As an example, it would have to be sorcery, and maybe provided some other drawback, something that makes the UX player(s) really commit to the spell being on their turns. Maybe even "You can only cast this on your turn" or something, largely because U has the most access to "muh stuff go flashing".

So, in essence, 'fair' versions printed before they are banned would be ideal. I think Flood of Tears is the right direction.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Well the responses have been dwindling so I'm going to give it a couple more days then lock the survey, at which point I'll summarize the results for.anyone that is interested. I've already given Sheldon and papa_funk a link to the spreadsheet which gives every individual response in case they're interested in trying to sort the data for trends ("well how did people who answered X answer for Y?")
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
Well the responses have been dwindling so I'm going to give it a couple more days then lock the survey, at which point I'll summarize the results for.anyone that is interested. I've already given Sheldon and papa_funk a link to the spreadsheet which gives every individual response in case they're interested in trying to sort the data for trends ("well how did people who answered X answer for Y?")
I think the same is happening with my survey about where people visited before the announcements and before this place opened up
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
I'm interested in seeing the summary of curated data.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

Update: Survey has been closed and data collected into first post. Thanks again everyone who participated!
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

And thank YOU again [mention]cryogen[/mention]. This has been your most ambitious one yet, and I think it shows.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”