What is your most unique deck?

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

I have a Morophon, the Boundless deck that is build around him comboing off with Horned Kavu or Sparkcaster. I don't think anyone else plays infinite Kavu tribal.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

In terms of whole decks that are unique? Probably Sol'kanar the Swamp King Demon Tribal. It's built around the life-payment demons especially, and over all, it's both synergistic and flavorful, and I've never seen anyone else build something even remotely like it.

Beyond that, Phage the Untouchable decks are rare, though not unheard-of, and there's also my Teferi Tribal deck led by Niambi, Faithful Healer which is really more U/W Phasing than anything else. Those are also quite unique.

My other decks follow much more obvious patterns, so I'd hesitate to call them hugely unique, even in the case of something like Garth One-Eye|65421 5c Cycling, even though I've yet to see anyone else build the theme that way. I do, however, love my esoteric card choices within those otherwise-less-unusual decks. For example, running all the compass direction paladins (Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western) plus the counterspell variants in my knight tribal deck, or Petra Sphinx in Aminatou topdeck manipulation.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago
Because I don't really have interaction or board wipes to speak of I have to rely heavily on stax effects and hope they keep me alive long enough to beat some face.
I learned in my Sydri deck that Mirrorworks can do a lot to help this in an artifact deck-
- Spine of Ish Sah? Copy it and use the token to kill the original and return it to hand
- Oblivion Stone? Copy it, and put a Fate counter on one, blow up the board with the other - then you can add more fate counters at your leisure with the original
- Unstable Obelisk, Throne of Geth, etc.
V/R

Treamayne

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 2 years ago

Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire helms a Acererak the Archlich Acererak the Archlich[/card] Dungeons & Dragons treasure deck. It wins with Revel in Riches Revel in Riches[/card], and features practically every instance of enter the dungeon and D&D dice rolling legal in mono black. Because that's not enough for a deck, it subthemed into treasure, then food and clues, and because one tutor in the zone beats ten in the deck, I changed over to Varragoth and put Acererak in the 99. Back in May, I sold my covid-flationed Rakdos-goodstuff deck for two car repairs and a Switch for my daughter, and have been Magicless till this week when I bought this aforementioned deck idea. I'd been brewing for months but nothing really clicked. This one seems fun.
Last edited by BaronCappuccino 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 2 years ago

For me, it's my Sliver Queen deck. A mix of chaos, group hug, sliver synergies, "lose the game" effects and individual cards that can drastically alter the game in a moment (Hypergenesis, Fractured Identity, Mirrorweave, Radiant Performer), the deck aims to make the game happen in a big way. Games with the deck feel quite chaotic, although the only truly random element is Possibility Storm, which goes so well with Fractured Identity that it had to be included.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

I built Omnath, Locus of Creation for modern with a Yorion, Sky Nomad as companion package - so 80 w/ a 15 SB. I upped the main deck to 85 so I can use it in either modern or commander (shuffle the SB in).

Literally flipped six judge promos into this, with a small amount outta pocket to cover the spread. I'm happy, I just turned six pretty cards into a whole deck.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 2 years ago

Most of my decks are somewhat unique(though I've come across at least one other here with the rakdos suicide build!)

Zedruu voltron (small aura for power boosts that I can donate away for more cards)

Rakdos the defiler suicide (all the tempo cards and life paying cards for minor upside that pushes the game forwards)

Lord of tresserhorn 'on death tribal' (so everything triggers value when it dies. It's a very bad theme)

Karona, false god 'skip your turn tribal' (the wincon is skipping all my turns with say lethal vapors, and then casting teferis protection on my opponents turn after they steal karona. This deck has never won a game. Not ever. Not even close. It does get accolades from others who think it's a cool idea though, just not enough to let the combo work)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I built Omnath, Locus of Creation for modern with a Yorion, Sky Nomad as companion package - so 80 w/ a 15 SB. I upped the main deck to 85 so I can use it in either modern or commander (shuffle the SB in).

Literally flipped six judge promos into this, with a small amount outta pocket to cover the spread. I'm happy, I just turned six pretty cards into a whole deck.
Are you saying your Modern deck is singleton? Kudos.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago

Are you saying your Modern deck is singleton? Kudos.
Yes, sideboard too. I usually play burn, but my LGS has become hostile to burn with four of the sixteen on it (I'd be the fifth). I don't want to have nightmares of Kor Firewalkers every week, so I built this stack to quench my need to play modern.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Most of my decks are pretty linear or standard. I think my most "unique" deck pitches are...

- Mirri the Cursed Vampire Tribal: In a world where Edgar and Olivia have cornered the market on tribal decks with Elenda, the Dusk Rose taking honorable mention, Mirri is a strange choice for the tribe - even in monoblack, there's Anowon, the Ruin Sage and Drana, Liberator of Malakir as "stronger" lords. But Mirri's unique access to haste in mono-black gives the deck a lot of angles as a Voltron, Aristocrat, or "sudden death" burn-out big mana deck that have helped it stand the test of time as the only deck to stay in service for the entirety of my time playing EDH. "Empires rise and fall, but Mirri is eternal".

- Daretti, Scrap Savant Superfriends: Turns out Daretti is really good at finding/protecting/supercharging The Chain Veil and that playing a ton of boardwipes is great synergy with assembling a wall of 'walkers from superstars like Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and Karn, the Great Creator to "diamonds in the rough" like Koth of the Hammer to memes like Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded. This deck still has a strong artifact engine at its heart, but it gets a kick out of everyone every time I slam turn 2 Tibs and let chaos take the wheel.

- Quintorius, Field Historian: I think folks sleep on just how good ol' Quintorius is. With help from Bag of Holding, Mistveil Plains, or Auriok Salvagers + various little trinket effects, it isn't hard to trigger Quintorious multiple times per turn (the real dream is Salvaging Scrabbling Claws or Conjurer's Bauble over and over and over so that for 2W or 3W you can spit out two tokens and draw a card). I'mma count him as "unique" even though my actual deck is pretty similar to most lists on EDHRecs until he cracks 600 on EDHRecs.

fckvwls

Post by fckvwls » 2 years ago

This is my first post here so I'm looking forward to sharing!

I have a Marath, Will of the Wild Oath of Druids/Enchantress deck that aims to get Oath out, fill your gy, and then hit a creature that gets you back Replenish or something similar. It has a pile of other combos in it and is really about abusing the stack while playing a stax-ish game when you're not popping off. It doesn't always rely on flooding the board from the graveyard, it has many other avenues to victory.

Marath Decklist

My other favourite is a budget brew using Krark, the Thumbless and Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix to abuse ramp spells and then eventually cascade and storm spells. There are turns where you can cast your whole deck with Mind's Desire or pop off tons of times with Apex Devastator multiple times. This deck could be streamlined even more but my whole goal was to keep it around $200 in paper.

Krark Decklist

I find my favourite decks these days are the ones with elements of randomness. I purposely play less tutors in my other decks to keep consistency low while letting the magic gods take care of my flips. My Grenzo deck is my favourite of all time but I currently don't have a decklist for it online since goldfishing cards off the bottom constantly isn't my interpretation of fun.

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you all have come up with!

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

I have Wyleth, Soul of Steel h deck that I consider unique. I built him as an aura enchantress deck. Most people prefer to build him as a equipment commander, since the synergy in that strategy is more obvious.

viewtopic.php?t=35616

Hazzenko

Post by Hazzenko » 2 years ago

My most unique deck is Grenzo, Havoc Raiser with 25 creatures that costs or , most of them are there to force opponents into read them and ask with confusion "what this card does??". Is a funny deck, it wins gloriously or fails miserably, there's no middle ground, and I love it to the point of it being at 90% foiled at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33153
Nonsense Grenzo || Kess || Mogis || Anje || Obosh || Xantcha || Infernal Kirin || Haunt || Ayara

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Nicol Bolas, the Ravager // Nicol Bolas, the Arisen and 3/5 Egyptian gods.

EDIT: To clarify, it's an Infect/Superfriend hybrid control deck that emphasize on maximizing three Egyptian Gods' abilities. Most of the PWs outside of Bolas have ways to create tokens for sacrifice purposes.

Scorpion Draw → Locust Token
Scorpion Removal → Scarab Reanimation
Wheel/Cycling/Discard/Locust Loot → Archfiend of Ifnir/Scarab Reanimation/Dauthi Voidwalker.
Proliferate → -1/-1 counters, poison, and PWs.
Tokens → Goblin Bombardment/Everlasting Torment → Scorpion/Locust

Five Gods Version: Adding God-Eternal Kefnet/God-Eternal Bontu, with more instant/sorcery that generate tokens.
Last edited by Cyberium 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

Well, I'm going to go with "unique" being something like "not really the typical build / few built this particular way".

And in that case, I simply like unique decks primarily: ones that put a twist on the commander or on the way the deck unfolds (or something along those lines). Also, I've played straightforward lists before and some of them kinda play themselves, whereas I like having to make interesting decisions because suspense IMO is a common element to an enjoyed game.

The two that are most unique I borrow from others:
  • Sidisi, Brood Tyrant - Borrowed mostly from the version Brian David-Marshall runs, rather than a zombie deck it's a creatures-in-the-graveyard-matters deck. Spider Spawning is the 'secret commander' and Sidisi provides the colors and otherwise serves as one of the self-mill support pieces.
  • Zedruu the Greathearted - Borrowed from tstorm823's list here, it's a deck with a lot of singleton and wacky interactions between its pieces that provides a lot of variance.
And aside from steering away from having much combo potential in my other decks (Zedruu being the exception), there are a lot of qualities to both of these (such as variance and resilience) that I aim to achieve in my other decks. Maybe some day all my decks will be that unique.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”