Legend of Zelda Themed Deck (Help)

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

So, I have a friend who is really into The Legend of Zelda (Like rally into it, almost to an unhealthy amount) But he does have some other hobbies. EDH sadly, is not one of those hobbies but his closest friends and brother do play it. So he knows the rules (Not everything but more than just a basic premise) and he plays with his friends at work. (One guy has extra decks)

I feel like building a Legend of Zelda themed deck, one that he may more have fun with a bit since it is based on his favorite thing. But i have no idea where to begin.

Now one thing i will mention is that Proxies are okay, Sine teh Commander will be just that, I plan to run it like the Godzilla cards in which some are just reskins. I plan to do that For the Commander who will be Link. Will every card get the treatment, no, I still plan to use a lot of real ones, but maybe something like Sky Diamond becoming the Triforce of Wisdom.

I do want the deck to be GRU (As it matches the tri force colors the best.) But aside from those basic idea, I have NO idea where to start. (And yes, I want Link to be the commander.)
Surrak Dragonclaw will probably end up being the commander as he is one of the only two GRU HUMAN commanders available. So unless there is another option as a commander and instead putting link in the 99, i am open for suggestions.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

I would definitely have some sort of voltron or equipment based theme or subtheme. A classic part of the Zelda games is discovering all sorts of gadgets and items to enhance Link's capabilities.

Grappling Hook to represent the Hookshot seems like an obvious choice. It's pretty useful also.

Razor Boomerang for the classic Boomerang you get in most games (this card is really bad though).

With Bombs being a big staple feature of the games, maybe throw in Goblin Bomb, Ratchet Bomb, and/or Time Bomb.

There are a number of Swords and Shields to fit feeling and budgets high and low.

Maybe throw in some useful Faeries for utility since those are always present throughout the games.

Merfolk for Zora?

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
I would definitely have some sort of voltron or equipment based theme or subtheme. A classic part of the Zelda games is discovering all sorts of gadgets and items to enhance Link's capabilities.

Grappling Hook to represent the Hookshot seems like an obvious choice. It's pretty useful also.

Razor Boomerang for the classic Boomerang you get in most games (this card is really bad though).

With Bombs being a big staple feature of the games, maybe throw in Goblin Bomb, Ratchet Bomb, and/or Time Bomb.

There are a number of Swords and Shields to fit feeling and budgets high and low.

Maybe throw in some useful Faeries for utility since those are always present throughout the games.

Merfolk for Zora?
Yeah i was thinking slight Voltron theme as well. Equipment get expensive so I wanted to avoid it. But then i remembered that i am already Proxying Link, i can proxy a sword of truth and justice Master sword.

Razor Boomerang is trash, just all around bad. Why was it ever printed? I mean I would rather use Boomerang

Bombs are a thing.

Zora are already merfolk, so it is not a stretch.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

A few thoughts here. You could base it on the gameplay, and have Link as the commander, as you seem to be leaning toward. Seems pretty straightforward, and equipment definitely makes sense there, but it is in some ways a narrow pool to draw from IMHO, just because to me at least it'd seem really odd to have Ganondorf or any of the series' monsters working under Link of all people, so you'd have to lean on that voltron/equipment theme pretty hard. Zelda is an obvious one to include as well, of course, but I think I may actually have a better suggestion, since white would add a fair bit to the deck (for equipment voltron, if nothing else) -- and so, I think, would partners.

Yes, partners. You could have both Link and Zelda as commanders. My choice for that would be a Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix alter for Zelda, and Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder (altered, of course) as Link. Bruse would feed into the voltron aspect, which also fits the bearer of the Triforce of Courage thematically, while Kydele leans with more of a wisdom angle of drawing cards and such. You could run various sealing magic (Oblivion Ring|Lorwyn, say) to play into Zelda's powers more, in addition to the Link stuff, plus card draw, like I mentioned, is a pretty obvious representation for wisdom. For the pieces of the Triforce, I'd recommend legendary artifacts, myself. Really powerful ones. Perhaps something like The Magic Mirror as the Triforce of Wisdom. For the Triforce of Courage, I'd say Akroma's Memorial, though you could also reasonably go with Avacyn's Memorial. As for the Triforce of Power -- That Which Was Taken, alternate name and art or not, seems to fit pretty well to me flavor-wise. And for the complete Triforce -- Planar Bridge, anyone? It'll give you whatever you desire, straight into play. Godsend would also make a pretty excellently flavorful Master Sword now that you've got access to white. Otherwise, probably one of the ones that gives protection from black. Plus, adding in white makes it easier to do things like having the castle soldiers commanded by Zelda as part of the deck. Of course, this is leaning hard on flavor at the potential expense of power, but it could still be rather cool IMHO.

A random suggestion for one of the equipment pieces, by the way, regardless of any of the above suggestions -- Hammer of Nazahn as the Megaton Hammer from Ocarina of Time.

One other way you could take it is to lean really hard into the lore and have the commander be the three golden goddesses who created the world, Din, Nayru, and Farore. In that case, I'd probably say an alter/proxy of Esika, God of the Tree as the golden goddesses and The Prismatic Bridge as the complete Triforce. This also would make use of the evil characters and creatures more on-flavor, plus access to black lets you pick better options to represent them. If you wanted to build around the lore and the cast of the games, this would probably be the way to go.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

My gut pick is Obuun, Mul Daya Ancestor. Naya colors like mentioned above and he gets strength from lands... like chopping down grass for rupees for example, so whatever that landfall giving you treasure guy is, definitely needs to go in there. Obuun is also an elf and looks like Link a bit.

My second suggestion would be Samut, Voice of Dissent because granting haste and untapping things seems in line with Link's skill set. And yeah voltron it up because of all the equipment Link has.

Jared Carthalion, True Heir might be a third option because he kinnnnd of looks like Link, though I'm not sure on the flavor.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Serrated Arrows for silver arrows?

Probably too rich for anyone's blood, but Zora's flippers!

Could Lightning Greaves be the dash boots?

Hideaway lands are a must.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Wouldn't the Triforce of power be black?

Dakkon, Shadow Slayer/Dakkon Blackblade is left handed and carries a shield in his right hand. The more lands you go to in the game, the more Link's power grows.

Anyway, other card suggestions:

Words of Wisdom = triforce of wisdom
Unflinching Courage = triforce of courage
Apex of Power, Promise of Power, or drain power = triforce of power

Dovin, Architect of Law is probably the card with abilities most like Zelda, but he doesn't look like her.

Kaervek the Merciless could be Gannondorf. Ilharg, the Raze-Boar could be him in boar form.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”