Nihiloor - Voltron/Tokens (Let's Brew!)

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Nihiloor

In short, if you attack with creatures your opponents own, Nihiloor drains 2 life for EACH of those creatures that attack.

1) They can be face down morphs like via Thieving Amalgam.
2) They can be creatures controlled via other methods such as Bribery and Reins of Power.
3) Creatures you tapped to elicit the effect do not need to remain tapped, which can combo with Inspired creatures like King Macar, the Gold-Cursed.

The problem with Nihiloor being:

1) You could only take control of one creature per opponent using Nihiloor.
2) You need to have untapped creatures of your own with high enough power to tap for each creature you wish to take control, i.e., including Nihiloor you need two more creatures to hit a full table.
3) Stolen creatures return to their owners after Nihiloor leaves play.

Nihiloor himself can control a power 3- creature, and most utility creatures are 3-, so he kinda pays for himself, but he also has no innate protection to endures the effect, not to mention as the number of opponents go down and creatures only grow bigger, NIhiloor would not be able to keep up. These shortcomings pretty much require players to:

1) Have sac outlet.
2) Blink effect to either protect or reuse Nihiloor's power. (preferably combines with #1)
3) The deck needs additional controlling methods and wincons.
4) Need a good number of creatures or creature generators, in addition to ways to boost their size.

----------

So to sum up above points, I want to make a Nihiloor Voltron deck with a token sub-theme. Advantages being:

1a) It'd be a waste if the stolen creature die on their first attack. Nihiloor is actually a rare case where you want even a stolen 1/1 token to live as long as it can and attack as frequently as it can. Equipments give Nihiloor ways to boost creature size, provide protections, and is well aligned with Esper cards (just have sac outlet ready). Voltron serves as a viable wincon. Many equipments also provide creatures on their own.

1b) Anthem effect also boosts tokens en mass.

2) Tokens allow cards like Cultural Exchange to work efficiently, and provide you with creatures to equip. Their attrition fuels cards like Black Market and Revel in Riches, as well as aristocrats like Blood Artist. (multiple wincons)

Ideally, one wants to blink NIhiloor as frequently as possible to trigger its effect once there's a sac outlet ready, or with permanent control like Conjurer's Closet.

Let's discuss further on how we can make this idea more valid. I'm also looking for wacky cards that can serve multiple purposes in this deck, such as Death Pit Offering.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 years ago

These cards specifically exile a creature and then return to "controller"; Athreos, Shroud-Veiled, Conjurer's Closet, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, Venser, the Sojourner, Sword of Hearth and Home, Synod Sanctum.
The idea is that you can steal creatures with Nihiloor and then blink them out with above cards so that you retain them permanently, rather than hang on the clause "You control that creature as long as you control Nihiloor.".
Also obviously you use them on Nihiloor when ready to re-trigger him as well.

I personally don't think you need many high-powered creatures as you can snap up most creatures with fairly humble stats.
You really want to curve out with a 3 and 4 drops creatures into Nihiloor at the first stages of the game.
I looked at 2-3 drop creatures that have decent power for cost. These stood out; Spirit of the Labyrinth, Vantress Gargoyle, Dauthi Voidwalker, Eldrazi Displacer, Flickerwisp, Vendilion Clique, Bontu the Glorified, Lurrus of the Dream-Den, Kefnet the Mindful, Elite Spellbinder, True-Name Nemesis, Opposition Agent, Veinwitch Coven, Master of Death.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
2 years ago
These cards specifically exile a creature and then return to "controller"; Athreos, Shroud-Veiled, Conjurer's Closet, Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, Venser, the Sojourner, Sword of Hearth and Home, Synod Sanctum.
The idea is that you can steal creatures with Nihiloor and then blink them out with above cards so that you retain them permanently, rather than hang on the clause "You control that creature as long as you control Nihiloor.".
Also obviously you use them on Nihiloor when ready to re-trigger him as well.

I personally don't think you need many high-powered creatures as you can snap up most creatures with fairly humble stats.
You really want to curve out with a 3 and 4 drops creatures into Nihiloor at the first stages of the game.
I looked at 2-3 drop creatures that have decent power for cost. These stood out; Spirit of the Labyrinth, Vantress Gargoyle, Dauthi Voidwalker, Eldrazi Displacer, Flickerwisp, Vendilion Clique, Bontu the Glorified, Lurrus of the Dream-Den, Kefnet the Mindful, Elite Spellbinder, True-Name Nemesis, Opposition Agent, Veinwitch Coven, Master of Death.
Thanks for the advices. I haven't thought about the Amonkhet Gods, good call.

Would reanimation be a viable strategy, given that those creatures from opponents' GY are also "controlled but not owned"?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”