July 2021 Banlist Announcement

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Holy crap is there a lunar eclipse because I think Dirk and I are actually on the same side.................I better grab a Powerball ticket.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Turns out basically everyone hated Hullbreacher.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

I'm glad I just bought proxies.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 2 years ago

Magiqmaster wrote:
2 years ago
This banning was coming, sooner or later, no doubt about it. Several articles / podcasts also talked about HB, I guess mostly everyone agreed to some degree about it's unfairness. If I had owned a copy, I would have sold it a few months ago when the community started to complain loudly about it's feelbad moments.

I feel the pain for all of you who lost money following the ban, so my advise would be to get rid of such cards when you realize things are starting to go downhill. A good example would be Paradox Engine; I didn't own a copy, but here again, I would have sold it before the ban hammer fell down. It was obvious it was coming!

I just don't get how come WotC makes such cards, they should know better by now.
I lost money on hully, in that I opened it on mtgo and didn't sell it. I'm much happier that its banned than I would have been with the bot credit at its price 2 weeks before the ban.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

illakunsaa wrote:
2 years ago
Wasn't RC involved when making commander legends? They knew about jeweled lotus so how come breacher slipped the cracks?

If anything rc should at least refund me.
I don't recall the specifics, but on the Command Zone episode about the version, Josh Lee Kwai said the version of Hullbreacher they playtested was not quite as broken as the version that ended up being printed in Commander Legends. I don't recall if he recommended against it being printed as he apparently did Jeweled Lotus.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

JWK wrote:
2 years ago
illakunsaa wrote:
2 years ago
Wasn't RC involved when making commander legends? They knew about jeweled lotus so how come breacher slipped the cracks?

I don't recall the specifics, but on the Command Zone episode about the version, Josh Lee Kwai said the version of Hullbreacher they playtested was not quite as broken as the version that ended up being printed in Commander Legends. I don't recall if he recommended against it being printed as he apparently did Jeweled Lotus.
Cite your sources, friend. Do you recall which episode?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

The minisode they put out after the banning. If I recall correctly, initially it just worked until end of turn.

Not a lot to add with regards to this banning. I remember how unbelievably miserable and omnipresent Leovold was during his window of legality, and I'm glad that these play patterns continue being actively discouraged. Any future draw hate pieces should check for the source of the draw to prevent weaponising wheels.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Notion Thief can't follow fast enough for my tastes :P I've hated that card since my buddy first introduced it to our group.

I can't help but hope the community takes the message the Hullb ban sends, but my instinct (based on the price spike of thief) is that there is a growing pool of contrarians who like to flaunt the legal but social-contract-excluded cards. I've sure seen enough Consecrated Sphinx again lately to last a lifetime :P

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I wouldn't call them contrarians so much as a combination of speculators and optimizers. IMO the EDH ban list has never and will never function for most people as the general guideline it's meant to be.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

The attitude I've seen expressed is more contrarian than optimizer. Like "they banned my pet card paradox engine let's see how people like my dramatic scepter combo" and whatever.

I'm also pretty tired of seeing tooth and nail casually again too. Blech.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
The attitude I've seen expressed is more contrarian than optimizer. Like "they banned my pet card paradox engine let's see how people like my dramatic scepter combo" and whatever.

I'm also pretty tired of seeing tooth and nail casually again too. Blech.
I have had a lot of people who don't say anything about the power level of their deck or consider their deck which can only win via a combo setup to be casual lately. Its been frustrating for sure. Its tricky from the standpoint that I actually dismantle decks or rarely play / inform users when I step up to something more competitive and then someone combo kills me on turn 5-7 I get a bit peeved.

Some of the challenge for me is that it seems like instead of trying to improve their decks efficiency and capability to perform they go for lazy I win buttons and hope to just yolo them.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Some of the challenge for me is that it seems like instead of trying to improve their decks efficiency and capability to perform they go for lazy I win buttons and hope to just yolo them.
"why build an efficiency plan when I can just win?" That's why you see such a prevalence of combo. Add to that the asinine SpOt ReMoVaL iS bAd chuckle***s and the attempt to socially ostracize stax players "because it's unfun when you stop me from winning", and surprise, it further compounds the issue.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
"why build an efficiency plan when I can just win?" That's why you see such a prevalence of combo. Add to that the asinine SpOt ReMoVaL iS bAd chuckle***s and the attempt to socially ostracize stax players "because it's unfun when you stop me from winning", and surprise, it further compounds the issue.
Yea, its also why I constantly question why I don't have a bunch of blue control decks but then everyone gets all like BUT WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US when I do that.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
JWK wrote:
2 years ago
illakunsaa wrote:
2 years ago

Cite your sources, friend. Do you recall which episode?
The comment about the playtest version of Hullbreacher was in the CZ episode about the banning, I think. They commented more about the playtest in general, and not liking Jeweled Lotus, in the episodes where they reviewed the CL cards.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”