Mono-Red Musings - Chandra and Akroma

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

So, Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh & Chandra, Roaring Flame for one deck, Akroma, Angel of Fury|A25. Basically I'm looking for people's inputs on how they've played, and if they'll be different enough Commanders, that sort of thing.

Chandra I'm planning as minor herself tribal, some burn, with some Elemental typing, and win-cons along the lines of Reiterate, Inner Fire, Jeska's Will, Comet Storm, Crackle with Power, etc.

RAkroma, if you will, I'm wondering if she could still hold up in some sense. She would be more along the lines of Big Mana Red, Control, with a Burn-as-Control into Voltron finish. Wildfire|MM2 would make an appearance, Sword of Vengeance, Blood Mist, etc. I've had an aversion to 7+MV Commanders for quite a while, so that is another point of contention. Maybe we've gotten enough rocks and control and such by now, that that aversion of mine can start to go away.

To some extent I try to build into most decks long-shot alternate ways to win, including voltron in lists that may or may not be totally feasible. Narset would be my main other Voltron deck, while Elenda has that as an equal option among other things.

Thoughts on RAkroma being able to hold up? Thoughts on whether they'll overlap too much, between each other and my other decks? Discuss.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Tags:

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

I've got a Chandra deck that I really enjoy. It's burn/Chandra tribal. Link in my signature to my deck/post if interested. It tends to be very aggressive and tries to burn others more than it burns me hopefully.

Sanity_Eclipse

Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
I've got a Chandra deck that I really enjoy. It's burn/Chandra tribal. Link in my signature to my deck/post if interested. It tends to be very aggressive and tries to burn others more than it burns me hopefully.
Going lighter on creatures is a different vector, to be fair. My thinking is that with PW's being attack-able, having some combo of burn and dudes to protect would be important. Chandra tribal wise, Pyromaster, the Firebrand, and Chandra OG don't seem to me to do enough. How have they been for you?
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
Going lighter on creatures is a different vector, to be fair. My thinking is that with PW's being attack-able, having some combo of burn and dudes to protect would be important. Chandra tribal wise, Pyromaster, the Firebrand, and Chandra OG don't seem to me to do enough. How have they been for you?
Pyromaster's "0" is super useful, essentially acting as an extra draw every turn, which in a monored deck is valuable. The ultimate is really useful but I rarely get enough loyalty for it. The + is kinda meh, but really that 0 is the big use.

Original Chandra is really just a pet card that has nostalgia value. It isn't essential by any means but also that ult can be effective. She starts high on loyalty which makes her a bit survivable too. If I'm running a Chandra themed deck I can't leave out the original. I totally understand the choice to not run her though.

Firebrand having a built in Fork effect is really nice. Not the best Chandra but also doesn't draw much attention when others are out. This one isn't essential.

I run a healthy amount of AOE burns that kill creatures to help on defense but conversely this makes running my own a bit tough so I keep it light on creatures unless they do something big. Meekstone and Ensnaring Bridge also help big time when I draw them. I've had a number of games where Bridge just shuts down attacks and no one draws removal for a few turns and that gives a huge advantage. Also, when people are swinging on the planeswalkers, that is less damage coming my way, which has made a difference when I have spells that hit me as well.

I've considered making a 2nd Chandra deck that leans more into elementals as some of her incarnations that I don't use would be better suited to that but I haven't tried it yet so I can't speak to how a more creature oriented version would go.

Sanity_Eclipse

Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
Pyromaster's "0" is super useful, essentially acting as an extra draw every turn, which in a monored deck is valuable. The ultimate is really useful but I rarely get enough loyalty for it. The + is kinda meh, but really that 0 is the big use.

Original Chandra is really just a pet card that has nostalgia value. It isn't essential by any means but also that ult can be effective. She starts high on loyalty which makes her a bit survivable too. If I'm running a Chandra themed deck I can't leave out the original. I totally understand the choice to not run her though.

Firebrand having a built in Fork effect is really nice. Not the best Chandra but also doesn't draw much attention when others are out. This one isn't essential.
Fair enough, I'll give Pyromaster a shake, see how that goes. Maybe on Firebrand, but like you said, might not be needed.
Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
I run a healthy amount of AOE burns that kill creatures to help on defense but conversely this makes running my own a bit tough so I keep it light on creatures unless they do something big. Meekstone and Ensnaring Bridge also help big time when I draw them. I've had a number of games where Bridge just shuts down attacks and no one draws removal for a few turns and that gives a huge advantage. Also, when people are swinging on the planeswalkers, that is less damage coming my way, which has made a difference when I have spells that hit me as well.

I've considered making a 2nd Chandra deck that leans more into elementals as some of her incarnations that I don't use would be better suited to that but I haven't tried it yet so I can't speak to how a more creature oriented version would go.
RE: 2nd part - To elaborate on what I was thinking, use things like Impact Tremors, Warstorm Surge, Stuffy Doll|M13, and more targeted burn for control and life whittling as the Elementals beat face and block haters.

While Meekstone and Bridge would be good, they feel odd flavorfully to me in Chandra.dec. Fair on the damage going towards the walkers and not you.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”