Garth One-Eye - Looking for a theme

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

So I want to build a Garth One-Eye deck but I don't what sort of deck I want to build with him and am looking for suggestions. I do have a couple things I want from the deck.
  1. While Garth One-Eye doesn't have to be the focus, I do want the deck to want to cast him and use his unique ability.
  2. I don't want the deck to be focused on finding some way to combo win with Garth One-Eye (i.e. no Deadeye Navigator with Anger).
  3. I am not too concerned with power-level (though it I would prefer it not be too weak or too strong), as long as it is fun to play.
Some themes I've thought about:
  1. Five color deck around an underutilized mechanic (such as five-color Inspired.dec for example).
  2. Five color Wizards tribal.
  3. Tribal-tribal (probably with a heavier dragon and wizard focus since he is technically both).
  4. Five color blink/EtB.
  5. Multi-colors matters.
  6. Five color fun (just play a lot of fun cards, theme be damned).

Tags:

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

How about 5-color old school? Play lots of cards that were part of the game from the beginning, just like the ones Garth lets you cast, plus select ones from other early sets (like, maybe through Alliances?). That gives you access to some very powerful old cards while also setting a thematic and interesting restriction for yourself.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

How about untapping stuff as a theme?

I had a Derevi deck that had that as a theme many years ago and it was pretty fun.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Honestly, I'd probably go with a lot of old (as in pre-8th edition) cards, to fit in with his "retro" theme.

I'd start with picking one card for the deck from each of the pre-8th edition sets (ignoring the all reprint sets), and go from there. There are a lot of really good cards for a Garth deck back then, and several of them are quite affordable, including three from Tempest Block that are a must have: Capsize, Equilibrium, and Erratic Portal.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

Like others have mentioned, I would go old school, that seems to be the most thematic fit.
If you want a more synergistic build, untap and blink are the most obvious ways to abuse his ability.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

The old school theme doesn't appeal to me.

But I do like the idea of untapping stuff since it goes with the Inspired idea I was thinking about.

pokken

Man in 5c there are so many crazy untapping shenanigans you can do. Derevi is fine as a card. There's extra combat steps, Aphetto Alchemist dudes, Intruder Alarm, Necrotic Ooze shenanigans with the Lowryn block untap guys, Zealous Conscripts effects.

Even random spellslingery stuff like Vitalize and Cerulean Wisps and Chain Stasis becomes potentially kinda cool.

I wanna say with Chain Stasis you could probably make some large number of black lotuses at someone's endstep and then untap and use them. I'll admit I am not 100% sure about the timing restrictions of Garth :P Can you store them and cast them later or you do it right then? :P So weirdly worded.

There're awesome guys like Copperhorn Scout and then Instill Energy and Quirion Ranger and Wirewood Symbiote

Thassa's Ire doesn't go infinite but could hypothetically let you stockpile lotuses Omnath, Locus of Mana style.

Dragoon

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Man in 5c there are so many crazy untapping shenanigans you can do. Derevi is fine as a card. There's extra combat steps, Aphetto Alchemist dudes, Intruder Alarm, Necrotic Ooze shenanigans with the Lowryn block untap guys, Zealous Conscripts effects.

Even random spellslingery stuff like Vitalize and Cerulean Wisps and Chain Stasis becomes potentially kinda cool.

I wanna say with Chain Stasis you could probably make some large number of black lotuses at someone's endstep and then untap and use them. I'll admit I am not 100% sure about the timing restrictions of Garth :P Can you store them and cast them later or you do it right then? :P So weirdly worded.

There're awesome guys like Copperhorn Scout and then Instill Energy and Quirion Ranger and Wirewood Symbiote

Thassa's Ire doesn't go infinite but could hypothetically let you stockpile lotuses Omnath, Locus of Mana style.
You need to cast the spell (and pay its cost) as Garth's ability resolves. It's also worth noting that you'll need some kind of blink treatment in order to cast multiple Black Lotuses, since Garth only allows one casting of each spell.

pokken

Wow that's...truly awful :) I missed the "hasn't been chosen" rider. Oof.

What a bummer, that's super uninteresting if you've got to blink to ever use it again (since most of the modes are, well, le garbage)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Second Harvest
I would try to make as many black lotuses as I can
Just with Garth and second harvest you can make 4 black lotuses (because of Regrowth).
Imagine, you sitting there with 40 black lotuses... How could you lose? Now Braingeyser your opponent to death. Or make Shivan Dragon attack for 40.

I would just try to make the win condition something fun like that. Win with cards that are not in your deck.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Wow that's...truly awful :) I missed the "hasn't been chosen" rider. Oof.

What a bummer, that's super uninteresting if you've got to blink to ever use it again (since most of the modes are, well, le garbage)
Ok, so tapping to make a Black Lotus is really nice, but turn 6 its just solid and fair. Being able to do so repeatedly would make him just another boring combo commander and goes infinite with something like Freed from the Real. His other modes are mostly pretty solid though. He taps for 0 for black lotus, 1G to get any card in your yard back to your hand, 1W to blow up any artifact or enchantment, 1B to kill a non black non artifact creature, XUU to draw X cards, or 4RR for a 5/5 flying dragon with fire breathing. The black lotus mode, the regrowth mode, and the disenchant mode are all really good. Terror is ok, it doesn't hit enough to run as an actual card but as a 4th best option on a modal card is great. Drawing X with Braingeyser and Shivan Dragon aren't great, and frankly will rarely be cast, but its nice to have them for flavor and for the corner cases where they'll be relevant, or to at least allow you to milk that last bit of value from Garth.

I love Garth. He can be a sweet value engine but isn't op and isn't going to be just another boring nonsense 5 color commander. His modes are good enough to be worth building around him as a value engine. Regrowth allows you to recycle one %$#% blink effects, which tend to be fairly efficient and sometimes hit multiple permanents. I could see pairing him with Thousand-Year elixer and conjurer's closet and just riding him for value every turn getting 3 of whichever his currently relevant modes are every turn cycle in a less cutthroat meta and having a blast.

pokken

onering wrote:
2 years ago
Ok, so tapping to make a Black Lotus is really nice, but turn 6 its just solid and fair. Being able to do so repeatedly would make him just another boring combo commander and goes infinite with something like Freed from the Real. His other modes are mostly pretty solid though. He taps for 0 for black lotus, 1G to get any card in your yard back to your hand, 1W to blow up any artifact or enchantment, 1B to kill a non black non artifact creature, XUU to draw X cards, or 4RR for a 5/5 flying dragon with fire breathing. The black lotus mode, the regrowth mode, and the disenchant mode are all really good. Terror is ok, it doesn't hit enough to run as an actual card but as a 4th best option on a modal card is great. Drawing X with Braingeyser and Shivan Dragon aren't great, and frankly will rarely be cast, but its nice to have them for flavor and for the corner cases where they'll be relevant, or to at least allow you to milk that last bit of value from Garth.

I love Garth. He can be a sweet value engine but isn't op and isn't going to be just another boring nonsense 5 color commander. His modes are good enough to be worth building around him as a value engine. Regrowth allows you to recycle one %$#% blink effects, which tend to be fairly efficient and sometimes hit multiple permanents. I could see pairing him with Thousand-Year elixer and conjurer's closet and just riding him for value every turn getting 3 of whichever his currently relevant modes are every turn cycle in a less cutthroat meta and having a blast.
The thing that bugs me about him I think is that he runs out of value, unless you sac him and regrowth himself I guess which might be fun :P Not sure there's a way to line that up though I guess unless you sac him with Phyrexian Altar to cast the Regrowth :P

I think it'd be maybe more interesting if you couldn't choose the same one twice in a row or it reset.

You're right though he's just kinda blah combo commander if you can spam untaps for lotuses. My brewing tendrils just got all spread out and then failure to read made me grumpy.

Dragoon

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
The thing that bugs me about him I think is that he runs out of value, unless you sac him and regrowth himself I guess which might be fun :P Not sure there's a way to line that up though I guess unless you sac him with Phyrexian Altar to cast the Regrowth :P
Any sac outlet will do the trick for this. You only cast regrowth (and choose its target) when the ability resolves so you can respond to the ability by sac'ing Garth. :)

Out of curiosity, is there some interesting synergistic options in the "old school" style? I'm not too familiar with the "classic" cards since I wasn't playing around that time.

pokken

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
Out of curiosity, is there some interesting synergistic options in the "old school" style? I'm not too familiar with the "classic" cards since I wasn't playing around that time.
The amount of "Synergy" in my decks back then consisted of playing 4 badlands to support my Sedge Troll or comboing drain power with Fireball

Dragoon

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
The amount of "Synergy" in my decks back then consisted of playing 4 badlands to support my Sedge Troll or comboing drain power with Fireball
Fair enough, I'm not necessarily looking to reproduce the deckbuilding style of the time :P

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Play only old-frame cards.

Also, I chuckled at the title: he's 'looking' for a theme, but only has one eye.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 years ago

Having played against Garth it's pretty easy to break him. There are loops up the kudzu.

If looking for more goofy routes one thing I considered is that Shivan Dragon does have a mana value which is one of the few commanders that can create tokens with an actual mana value (I think).
The example is using Burnt Offering, Sacrifice for mana, Morbid Curiosity for draw and maybe Neoform, Eldritch Evolution for some other monster by sacrificing the Shivan Dragon.
The Burnt Offering/Sacrifice mana can be put into the Braingeyser.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I've been thinking about Garth for the past few days so I may as well post some thoughts.

I do think he's potentially pretty dangerous - infinite loops isn't a HUGE risk I don't think, since he generally needs haste enabler + something cheap to blink him...I mean there are definitely ways to do it, but I don't think they're easy enough to be the primary issue. I think the bigger issue is simply that having repeatable regrowth with many control spells can become real miserable real quick. Recur cyc rift every turn, recur Duneblast every turn, even recurring counterspells gets pretty unpleasant in a lower-powered meta. And while it's not deterministic, his braingeyser is a pretty potent draw engine that could easily hit similar effects and ways to blink him, so even with single-shot blink he'll probably be able to keep going and going and going.

To avoid this, I think the only good options are to eschew almost any form of blink or recursion, or to cut anything that becomes problematic when cast every turn.

Personally I like my control decks so I'm leaning hard on option A.

The question for me is, what about a single, one-use recursion/blink spell? That would give the ability to blink him over and over, but you'd have to spend the regrowth mode to do it. On the other hand, it does enable repeated braingeysers. With a haste enabler, you could basically just spend 3 mana to reset him, and then dump the rest into braingeyser + control spells every turn. Not deterministic but definitely nasty.

Maybe a singleton recursion spell would be better - it's really slow since it costs the spell plus his mana cost (or the usually-hefty cost of reanimation), plus he'd have to die naturally if you don't include any sac outlets. And it'd also provide some protection, though if it's a singleton card in the deck and you leave him in the bin, you might end up getting him stuck if the spell is countered - but that could be remedied with grave hate to pull him back into the CZ without increasing the number of cards that reset him without cost. Still could be obnoxious with enough mana I suppose, but so is everything really. But maybe it's best to just go completely bare, and only reset him by letting him die and pay tax.

I think I'll be happy when I find myself consistently running through 4-6 spells before resetting him. If the right lines involve just repeatedly doing the same 1-2 options over and over, that seems like a problem.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Silly idea: every card has one 'I' in its name. Your choice on whether the word 'eye' counts, or if Garth gets to be the exception.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

I've been playing around with themes in my spare time and I have to say finding one I like has been hard. I do believe at least a few blinks are a must in the deck as without the ability to be reset Garth loses a lot of his power after a few turns. Other than that he has the problem of both being too unique and a bit of a mana hog that it makes him hard to fit in a deck with a theme. As much as I like him, I think I am going to shelf him for a little bit and see if that helps.

DirkGently

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
I do believe at least a few blinks are a must in the deck as without the ability to be reset Garth loses a lot of his power after a few turns.
I disagree with this. He can be activated 6 times before running out of options, and in particular braingeyser is pretty much guaranteed to give you plenty of gas. If we're doing one spell per turn plus a couple turns to play out whatever came off braingeyser, that's 8 turns or so worth of value, starting on maybe turn 4, so around turn 12 you might be running out of things to do. Plenty of games end before turn 12.

Not to mention he could easily just die and be recast. If he manages to live out his entire life cycle, just start swinging until someone blocks and/or kills him.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
I do believe at least a few blinks are a must in the deck as without the ability to be reset Garth loses a lot of his power after a few turns.
I disagree with this. He can be activated 6 times before running out of options, and in particular braingeyser is pretty much guaranteed to give you plenty of gas. If we're doing one spell per turn plus a couple turns to play out whatever came off braingeyser, that's 8 turns or so worth of value, starting on maybe turn 4, so around turn 12 you might be running out of things to do. Plenty of games end before turn 12.

Not to mention he could easily just die and be recast. If he manages to live out his entire life cycle, just start swinging until someone blocks and/or kills him.
What I mean by loses gas is that on average, it seems, only two or three of his spells are impact spells in a given game. It's usually Braingeyser and Regrowth, with Disenchant or Terror depending on match-up. Black Lotus is fine, but nothing special by the time you are casting it. Shivan Dragon is great, but expensive. And for the most part, I always have other things I would rather do with my mana.

DirkGently

Lotus doesn't really lose value imo because it'll almost always just be used as a setup turn for braingeyser, functionally netting +3 cards. If he's got haste, he probably won't be able to activate any other abilities the first time he's played unless he's pretty off-curve.

Disenchant and terror only really lose value if your opponents don't have anything important on the field, which doesn't really seem like a problem exactly. I guess it's a bit weak if their crucial card is a black creature but that's about it.

Shivan is definitely a bit inefficient but personally that's how I want to win every game with Garth. I'm just sitting here dismantling some red starter decks so I can use the Shivan dragons for tokens :grin: In a control shell it seems pretty plausible to me that you could have a grip of reactive cards and not need to play them, in which case eot shivan dragon seems like a fine play.

I'm sure there will be times when one or two of them aren't useful, but that's a solid 4-5 turns of activations, not "a few".
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”