MH2 Deck Changes

JWK
Elder Thing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

I have slowly started adding some of the Modern Horizons 2 cards to existing decks. This is pretty quick for me, actually, because I haven't really added very many Strixhaven or Kaldheim cards to decks, even when they would pretty clearly be good.

Anyhow, I was wondering what y'all couldn't wait to slot into your decks.

My own changes so far have been fairly modest:
- Goblin Anarchomancer went into Gruul Stompy Fun with Tuya Bearclaw
- Esper Sentinel and Liquimetal Torque went into Rebbec/Silas (the latter replacing Mind Stone )
- Dauthi Voidwalker and Vedalken Infiltrator snuck their way into my Bad Sygg rogue tribal deck
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Waiting for my orders to come in, but:

Master of Death is going in The Scarab God
Terramorph is going in Beledros Witherbloom (and Lonis).
Damn and Priest of Fell Rites will go into Shadrix Silverquill.

Lonis, Cryptozoologist will probably be a new deck (this deck will probably feature Academy Manufactor, Fae Offering, Tireless Provisioner, and a handful of others).

I will also probably make a new reanimator deck for Persist, Unmarked Grave and Archon of Cruelty. The general may end up being Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar.

I will say that despite having a lot of cards seemingly geared to commander, I don't actually want to play many of them.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

I plan to play Glimpse of Tomorrow, Yusri, Fortune's Flame and Lonis, Cryptozoologist in my Golos random.dec.

I'll add Obsidian Charmaw, Timeless Dragon, Murktide Regent, Scion of Draco and Piru, the Volatile to the dragons pile for my Ur-Dragon deck (with Tireless Provisioner joining the main deck).

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth is a card I will play if I open it. Otherwise, I don't see myself buying it.
Abundant Harvest is really good and I could see playing it in a couple of decks.
Breathless Knight is going in my spirit-tribal Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Academy Manufactor is going into my bant clue deck
Necrogoyf will probably go into Phenax, God of Deception
Archon of Cruelty into Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Lonis, Cryptozoologist is unclear to me. I have a bant clue deck and it woud fit great, except that I play all the torpor orb effects in the deck.

Those are my main thoughts for now.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Tireless Provisioner is useful to a couple of my decks, such as my The Ur-Dragon and its Lands engine and my Tatyova, Benthic Druid "Oops no rares" build.

Also I want to build Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar (I still can't believe they actually did that oh my god) so yeah her and her cookbook were easily among the first cards from the set I got.

Then of course there's the expensive staples like Esper Sentinel, the swords, and the free evokes that I hope will eventually go down in value a little as others crack those packs in search of fetches.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

Estrid is getting Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth and Sythis, Harvest's Hand over a forest and Nessian Wanderer, then considering a few other options (Sanctum Weaver, Out of Time, and Resurgent Belief).

Not seeing anything that really speaks to me for Jaya. Kaldra Compleat is probably the closest as a good target for Godo, Bandit Warlord and a way to keep creatures (including itself) alive through an inferno, but I'm not sold on that yet. Edit: I remembered that Urza's Saga was a card and that's absolutely getting slotted into Jaya. Scaling creature tokens and a utility artifact tutor that only costs a land drop is great.

There are quite a few other cards I'm interested in but don't have an immediate home for like Dauthi Voidwalker, Sword of Hearth and Home, Tireless Provisioner, Timeless Witness, and Abundant Harvest. There's a lot of good stuff in the set.
Last edited by SocorroTortoise 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Thanks to Tireless Provisioner I am thinking about switching out Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar in my Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith / Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar for Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper solely for the green mana (even though Ikra has no synergy with the deck unlike Falthis). Plus it would open up land ramp, which the deck wants since Toggo is basically a landfall commander. Oh, can't forget Academy Manufactor and Nettlecyst(maybe), which fit well with the theme of the deck.

I plan to test Thought Monitor and Nettlecyst in my The Omenkeel deck. Not sure if the deck is dedicated to artifacts enough to make it.

In my Adrix and Nev, Twincasters deck, Verdant Command is pretty much a straight upgrade over Fists of Ironwood, which was always a little awkward. Junk Winder and Combine Chrysalis are also going in as they have great token synergies. Timeless Witness in for Eternal Witness because tokens. Have a few other token producers I want to try out (like Chitterspitter and Squirrel Sanctuary, but I'm not sure what to take out if any.

In Etali, Primal Storm, the main one is possibly Chef's Kiss, but I haven't gotten a chance to test out the current build much, so I don't know what I want to cut, if any, to include it.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

Titania was the main focus from this set. Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth as a back-up yet easily fetchable land vers. of Dryad of the Ilysian Grove as well as backing up Ashaya / landfall kinda stuff and letting me cheat a bit more on having colorless lands.

I'm kinda thinking about switching out Cultivate etc for Tireless Provisioner and Tireless Tracker (obv not MH2 but w/e, similar train of thought). Fetchable with Woodland Bellower, and is better with creatures than spells. Food tokens would kinda help with some of the life payment cards like Sylvan Library and just generally staying topped up.

I'm fairly sure on Sylvan Anthem too. dudes (tokens included) ETB, I get to filter things away if needed. With Yeva, Syl-brary, Beast Whisperer, etc kinda cards, I'm thinking I should be able to churn through the deck pretty decently at a low cost. The anthem would be nice as well, takes Titania and her spawns out of Bolt range. 4 damage / reduction is still fairly common, but definitely not as common as 3. Plus it means she is, and she spawns, Craw Wurm strength bodies and you gotta embrace a little bit of jank here and there.

~~~ Otherwise I just picked up stuff that was cool, potentially usable, and/or both, etc. Also, calling it that it's gonna be called SoHo (second H optional? /shrug)
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Trying out Master of Death and Vile Entomber in Varina, Lich Queen.

Serra's Emissary goes into Bruna, the Fading Light. If Esper Sentinel drops in price enough it'll do the same.

Thought Monitor goes into Emry, Lurker of the Loch

Nykthos Paragon goes into Liesa, Shroud of Dusk the lich build

Sterling Grove and Out of Time go into Tayam, Luminous Enigma

Magus of the Bridge goes into Yawgmoth, Thran Physician

Other than all of this, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth and a couple of other fetches I'm just keeping eyes out for. If the price is right I'll grab them, if not I won't.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Hot take: yavimaya is a card vastly overrated by people expecting the next urborg, when it doesn't have a critical mana interaction to it's play. While letting colourless lands tap for coloured mana is great, I suspect it isn't the powerhouse you're wanting it to be.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Hot take: yavimaya is a card vastly overrated by people expecting the next urborg, when it doesn't have a critical mana interaction to it's play. While letting colourless lands tap for coloured mana is great, I suspect it isn't the powerhouse you're wanting it to be.
I've been thinking the same to some extent. There's a lot of fast mana bases out there that it's not going to do much for - it's green after all, the king of ramp.

I can see it being useful for more budget 4-5c mana bases where a solid game relies on being able to cast Cultivate variants for colour access etc, but otherwise I think it might end up being a lot less useful than Urborg.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I agree. It's just not there in the same way Urborg is. There are few good Forests-matter cards (like Corrupt, or Nightmare Incursion), and there aren't equivalents for the other weird need-lots-of-specifically-black mana cards like Cabal Coffers, Pestilence, or someone doing shenanigans with Raven's Crime and LftL or Creeping Renaissance.

By all means, though, make it a free for all with Hidden Path or something.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I agree. It's just not there in the same way Urborg is. There are few good Forests-matter cards (like Corrupt, or Nightmare Incursion), and there aren't equivalents for the other weird need-lots-of-specifically-black mana cards like Cabal Coffers, Pestilence, or someone doing shenanigans with Raven's Crime and LftL or Creeping Renaissance.

By all means, though, make it a free for all with Hidden Path or something.
3drinks - Entirely possible/fairly likely, not gonna lie. Maybe something gets printed, maybe it's just a decent if not as busted as Urborg land. /shrug.

Sinis - Hell, just use Hidden Path and similar effects more like a spell then an enchant. Land, (Yavimaya, CoG obvs.) H.Path or w/e, Alpha strike with unblockable out of nowhere, in mono-green.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

3drinks

I need to put that hidden path into Ayula. Nothing more scary than a bunch of bears stealthily charging through the forest to gank the hair off your scalp 👀

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth is going to be batty with Eladamri, Lord of Leaves elves :) but yeah it's way less generically good than Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth because of no Coffers primarily, and also no Crypt Ghast etc.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth is quite powerful. It means Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary will never come off the banlist.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth in elves makes a lot of sense, arguably the best home for the card thanks to Eladamri, Lord of Leaves and Elvish Champion. Most elves decks I've played with/against feel more like critical mass combo decks than anything else. Tossing in a Yavimaya and a couple forestwalk lords makes the incremental creature beatdown plan much more reliable.

I'm adding it to Estrid because it plays nicely with low cost land auras and enchantress effects. Most of the setup cards are in green and the list is already weighted pretty heavily towards green mana, but I still want to be able to reliably cast UU/WW spells later on, so I can't go too heavily green. Basics are also less likely to get hit by incidental hate, so it's helpful to keep a high proportion of basics to make land auras a little stickier. It's a minor change to make early game setup a little smoother and help with chaining enchantments late.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

But forestwalk and granting forestwalk is more common than any other landwalk! The hour of Unseen Walker is at hand!

toctheyounger

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
But forestwalk and granting forestwalk is more common than any other landwalk! The hour of Unseen Walker is at hand!
Don't forget Yavimaya Dryad!

I actually do use it, but it's still not worth running Yavimaya Cradle for.

Sinis

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
2 years ago
Sinis - Hell, just use Hidden Path and similar effects more like a spell then an enchant. Land, (Yavimaya, CoG obvs.) H.Path or w/e, Alpha strike with unblockable out of nowhere, in mono-green.
I like to call it 'tasteful overrun'.

Seriously though, there's also a critical mass of forest-donate or forest-transform cards now. Yavimaya, Yavimaya Dryad, Verdant Mastery, Thelonite Monk, Deepwood Elder, Gaea's Liege etc. Outside green, there's even more options, like Phantasmal Terrain

Ok, but on topic, I remember why I wanted a Yavimaya once the price goes down a bit. I bought a beta Lifetap|LEB awhile ago because I like the art, and green has become so EDH-meta that it's maybe worth running in some instance-of-lifegain deck (i.e. combo with Archangel of Thune, or something like Dina, Soul Steeper).

toctheyounger

Honestly, I'm just glad they didn't print Yavimaya in u. You wouldn't get a game without seeing High Tide.

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Honestly, I'm just glad they didn't print Yavimaya in u. You wouldn't get a game without seeing High Tide.
Carpet of Flowers would also be played a lot.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 2 years ago

Hello,
At this moment, here are my future updates:
Search the premises will go in my numot pillowfort deck
Serra's emissary could go in my Mayael or Kaalia deck
Thraben watcher could be tested in Kaalia.
Archon of cruelty will go in my Dakkon (saboteur.deck)
Damn will go in my WBx decks
Piru the volatile will go in Kaalia
Sword of hearth and home will go in Kemba equipment.deck (and maybe in Dakkon) mostly for the land fetching trigger.

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Carpet of Flowers is already be played a lot.
#ftfy

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”