Oddball brewing: Sigarda, Host of Herons Shops

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

So I've been playing my Mishra's Workshop deck as Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty and I just am not happy with it, it naturally gravitates to being a combo deck which is just boring.

I had this weird thought out of nowhere of bringing back Sigarda, Host of Herons as a sword based voltron general with a subtheme of artifact shenanigans. Sigarda has this really big body that benefits from ramping out super early, and she is naturally lethal in 3 hits with a single +2 pump while being ridiculously hard to get rid of.

I wondered if anyone could think of any cool artifacts or support cards that naturally slot into that kind of build with the whole Clock of Omens / Mishra's Workshop shell.

Imagine if there were a card that would let you tap artifacts to pump Sigarda or similar type of nonsense.

I was thinking of basically using the busted rock/artifact shenanigans shell of:
Then swords of something like:
And whatever else. Using the equipment basically to fuel stuff like Metalworker and what not.

I could potentially see slotting in some of the other cute shops stuff like Arcbound Ravager and Hangarback Walker / Walking Ballista especially if I wanted to run stuff like Liquimetal Coating to make Sigarda a potential arcbound ravager target. (which might be kinda sick).

Artifact stax stuff also could be really good:
(edit: Removed helm of the gods, thought that was artifacts! Wonder if there's a cranial plating type thing in GW that's not an aura?)

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I like the idea, but what about Hamza, Guardian of Arashin? What with all the modular business in MH2, a very respectable selesnya shops deck is on the table. I just think that splitting your intent between raw voltron and shops makes both themes weaker because they don't inherently synergize all that well.

Or, of course, you could go full vintage and play golos shops which would be back breaking in its consistency.

Edit: Nettlecyst is your diet cranial plating
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I like the idea, but what about Hamza, Guardian of Arashin? What with all the modular business in MH2, a very respectable selesnya shops deck is on the table. I just think that splitting your intent between raw voltron and shops makes both themes weaker because they don't inherently synergize all that well.

Or, of course, you could go full vintage and play golos shops which would be back breaking in its consistency.

Edit: Nettlecyst is your diet cranial plating
Yeah I have brewed hard on Hamza which is what made me think of it. The issue is I think I want to play all the derpy artifact ramp which really does not go that well with Hamza. It's OK, but you need a pretty huge critical mass.

I'm thinking more like a traditional EDH Sharuum the Hegemon type artifact deck where it's almost mono-brown.

My favorite mechanical idea is tapping my Sword of Fire and Ice to untap mana rocks with Clock of Omens which I know is kinda niche and peculiar :P

I was thinking of playing Inspiring Statuary as well, but not sure what non-artifact payoffs I'd run :P

I guess "shops" is probably not the exact right term since I'm planning not to play the Arcbound Ravager side unless it somehow gels. More Lodestone Golem and less ravager :P

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@pokken

I always just assumed shops decks were just decks with at least one shop. Affinity was the archetype I associated with ravager, etc. Forgive me if my mastery of the magic lexicon is inadequate lol
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I always just assumed shops decks were just decks with at least one shop. Affinity was the archetype I associated with ravager, etc. Forgive me if my mastery of the magic lexicon is inadequate lol
Shops typically refers to the vintage shops list which is these days basically dominated by Arcbound Ravager and Walking Ballistahttps://mtgdecks.net/Vintage/shops-deck ... on-1089842

But in this instance I'm more with your definition lol, I just wanna slam my Mishra's Workshop somewhere it'll be fun and hopefully hold my interest longer than it took to sleeve it up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”