Sheldon's throwaway comment about banning wheels

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Unsanctioned Commander with no ban list.
People systematically misunderstand the effectiveness of the commander banlist at curating the community. Do I think it could be better? Yes, I think the banlist should be slightly larger. However, I've said this before and I'll try it again:

You can walk into any commander community in the country and play a good game. Thousands of stores, tens of thousands of playgroups, across very likely millions of players, and because of the commander banlist the chances that any given player has at least one deck that will play with any playgroup are *extremely* high.

The reason for that is not that players are great at social contract or rule 0 or any such thing. The reason is because the banlist is a piece of delicately balanced social engineering that shapes the overall meta of commander across literally millions of players into something that resembles loose cohesion.

I didn't realize just quite how effective it was until I thought about it, but @onering originally clued me into part of the mechanism being that the types of cards on the banlist subtly inform what people think is OK, and I think he's right about that.

The TLDR here is that Nobanlist unsanctioned commander would be a foul, rancid toilet the likes of which you could not even imagine.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
The reason for that is not that players are great at social contract or rule 0 or any such thing. The reason is because the banlist is a piece of delicately balanced social engineering that shapes the overall meta of commander across literally millions of players into something that resembles loose cohesion.
I've maintained this point of view since forever, and it is not only difficult to communicate (which I think you've done an excellent job, here), it seems very difficult for people to understand and accept.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Sheldon's statement only further convinced me that it's time for Sanctioned Commander with a ban list and Unsanctioned Commander with no ban list. So that wishing could default to Wizard's rule on wishing, which would eliminate the need for Rule 11, and so that the bulk of Rule 0 discussions would amount to "Sanctioned or Unsanctioned?".
Sanctioned Commander is hard to implement due to politics and collusion. I don't think Wizards will organize such tournaments any time soon, and I don't see the RC caring about that at all either.
"Sanctioned" doesn't necessarily mean a game is official or officiated - A.K.A. "rated".

According to the Magic Tournament Rules (MTR), "there are two types of sanctioned Magic tournament: rated and casual." The MTR mentions nothing else of casual sanctioned tournaments, but it does briefly describe a type of sanctioned tournament which is "focused on fun and social aspects" (as opposed to prizes and prioritizing victory) that are generally played "casually".

It's further described on a rules enforcement level: "Players are still responsible for following the rules, but the focus is on education and sportsmanship over technically precise play." Sanctioned play can be unrated/casual.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Nobanlist unsanctioned commander would be a foul, rancid toilet the likes of which you could not even imagine.
Having played in the 90's, I can imagine.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

pokken

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Having played in the 90's, I can imagine.
My guess is it would be a mix of simic.dec where most decks are primetime prophet of kruphix shells and then people with proxied time vaults trying to compete with them :P Yeesh :)

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

Vertain wrote:
2 years ago
wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
Timetwister could probably get the axe, if for no other reason than every other single piece of power is banned for "perceived barrier to entry" reasons for being ungodly expensive, ubiquitous, and iconic. Twister is now worth more than any other single piece of power besides Black Lotus, and most of them at least two times more. It. along with [{Windfall]], are the two cheapest to cast in Hullbreacher/Narset colors, making them some of the easiest to use. Most of blue's other "Wheel" effects self-exile and come either with a sizeable drawback (Day's Undoing, Diminishing Returns) or a much higher mana cost.
"Perceived barrier to entry" is no longer a thing, though, so we have to sit out the unpleasant side effects of the rampant reserve list speculation. The fact that it's cheap (mana-wise) and, more importantly, in the same colour as the actual problem cards (Hullbreacher, Narset, Parter of Veils, and Notion Thief) are very valid points.

However, it is obvious that the community at large has identified Hullbreacher, and, to a lesser extend since she doesn't have flash, Narset, Parter of Veils as the actual problems behind wheel effects. Let's just hope they don't pull another Walking Dead and completely ignore us on this one by banning the wheels instead.
If perceived barrier to entry isn't a criteria, the original Moxen should come off the list. They're weaker than existing cards like Sol Ring and Mana Crypt, after all.

I'm not suggesting PBtE be applied judiciously to any card that ends up worth $X or more. But unless I've missed a Word of Sheldon suggesting otherwise, the other 8 members of the Power Nine are banned because of Perceived Barrier to Entry, which was spelled out as being more than just price. The iconic status and recognizeability of the cards, combined with their price, would give the impression to a casual onlooker that the format is inaccessible. I'm just not clear on why this applies to 8 of the 9 pieces of Power. Sure, at the time the criteria were decided upon, Twister was a good deal cheaper than the rest of the Power, but the mere fact that it's Commander Legal has had a massively inflationary affect on its price and it's currently the second most expensive card in the entire game (if you look at the cheapest available version of a card).

I'm probable wasting my breath because it seems the largest single driver of the Commander banlist is inertia, but they could ban Timetwister tomorrow and it would largely be met with shrugs, because it makes sense.

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

Perceived Barrier to Entry was removed from the ban list philosophy. At this point it's just inertia keeping them on, since the benefit of a couple dozen people getting to use them doesn't outweigh the other hundred of thousands of people not able to use them.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
If perceived barrier to entry isn't a criteria, the original Moxen should come off the list. They're weaker than existing cards like Sol Ring and Mana Crypt, after all.

I'm not suggesting PBtE be applied judiciously to any card that ends up worth $X or more. But unless I've missed a Word of Sheldon suggesting otherwise, the other 8 members of the Power Nine are banned because of Perceived Barrier to Entry, which was spelled out as being more than just price. The iconic status and recognizeability of the cards, combined with their price, would give the impression to a casual onlooker that the format is inaccessible. I'm just not clear on why this applies to 8 of the 9 pieces of Power.
The reason the moxen are banned and timetwister isn't is because the moxen would make virtually any deck that can legally run them stronger, whereas timetwister is far more niche. And the moxen are potentially a pretty major power boost - a 5c deck having a ~1/3 chance to essentially start a turn ahead a pretty huge advantage, and risks creating, well, a perceived barrier to entry that you need to spend major $$$ to have a strong deck (plus it makes 5c even stronger, blech). Much moreso, imo, than having slightly better fixing as we have with duals vs shocks, and at a significantly higher price point (I don't even want to THINK about what would happen to the price of moxen if they were unbanned).

From an old SCG article by Sheldon: "It is not sufficient for a card to simply be expensive - expected ubiquity and the availability of suitable replacements are also considered."

Being iconic or recognizable is 100% irrelevant please stop mentioning it. None of the mirrors I've seen for the original criteria explanations mention being iconic, and even if they, did, who cares. That's an absurd reason to ban something.

Also I don't think you meant to use the word "judiciously" - that sort of implies that it's a good idea.
cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Perceived Barrier to Entry was removed from the ban list philosophy. At this point it's just inertia keeping them on, since the benefit of a couple dozen people getting to use them doesn't outweigh the other hundred of thousands of people not able to use them.
They probably removed it just to shut people up trying to get stuff banned for being expensive. Which would be a really bad reason to induct new entries - oh, that card that you shelled out a ton of money for because you love it just that much? Yeah it got banned because too many people loved it lol. Most people didn't seem to understand what it meant anyway.

If the moxen were unbanned, the price would skyrocket to absurd levels, and it would create a sort of class structure for those who do, and those who don't, have them. Which, tbf, we already sort of have with mana crypt and duals, but crypt is a lot more gettable and duals are both gettable and a lot less powerful.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Vertain

Post by Vertain » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
The reason the moxen are banned and timetwister isn't is because the moxen would make virtually any deck that can legally run them stronger
This applies to Sol Ring and Mana Crypt as well, since they actually make virtually any deck better. So there is precedent for the original Moxen to finally come off the list. After all, we heard the man: "Wheels are the unhealthiest thing in commander", so the fast mana that enables one of their abuse cases is perfectly fine.
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
If the moxen were unbanned, the price would skyrocket to absurd levels, and it would create a sort of class structure for those who do, and those who don't, have them. Which, tbf, we already sort of have with mana crypt and duals, but crypt is a lot more gettable and duals are both gettable and a lot less powerful.
With exceptionally powerful (The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Mishra's workshop, Gaea's Cradle), and/or genuinely interesting cards (Hazezon Tamar, Diamond Valley, Rasputin Dreamweaver), as well as the original duals for their added utility behind a prohibitive price tag, such a "class structure" is not just sort of a thing. It is a reality that players are priced out of doing certain cool and/or powerful things. Add to that, that the same committee who axed 'perceived barrier to entry' also openly discourages the use of proxies. So much for the so-called inclusivity of the format.

pokken

Vertain wrote:
2 years ago
This applies to Sol Ring and Mana Crypt as well, since they actually make virtually any deck better. So there is precedent for the original Moxen to finally come off the list
I'd argue that moxen make 5c decks strictly better than the alternatives by being color restricted which is a really gross side-effect.

Having early access to extra color pips creates a different dynamic as well.

The last thing this format needs is for 5c vintage to be the default mode of gameplay - it's fairly close to that already these days and it's unpleasant :P

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Vertain wrote:
2 years ago
This applies to Sol Ring and Mana Crypt as well, since they actually make virtually any deck better. So there is precedent for the original Moxen to finally come off the list.

With exceptionally powerful (The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Mishra's workshop, Gaea's Cradle), and/or genuinely interesting cards (Hazezon Tamar, Diamond Valley, Rasputin Dreamweaver), as well as the original duals for their added utility behind a prohibitive price tag, such a "class structure" is not just sort of a thing. It is a reality that players are priced out of doing certain cool and/or powerful things. Add to that, that the same committee who axed 'perceived barrier to entry' also openly discourages the use of proxies. So much for the so-called inclusivity of the format.
Follow my logic very closely here - to be banned under perceived barrier to entry, the card has to:
1) be ubiquitous in its usefulness
AND
2) be prohibitively expensive

The problem with PBtE cards is that they make the format one that requires a ton of money to optimize any deck, which is discouraging to anyone who wants to have a decent deck without spending thousands of dollars, which pushes people out of the format. Nobody wants to play vintage because they see everyone playing 1000+ cards and nope on out of there. The RC didn't want that to happen to commander. At this point that's pretty unlikely given the format's popularity, but unbanning them wouldn't really have any positive impact either.

You may notice that almost all of the cards you're using as examples - especially sol ring - meet ONE of those criteria, but not both. As someone who owns all of those, I can assure you that the vast, vast majority of decks I see people play would not benefit from playing any of them. As far as PBtE is concerned, no one is seeing a hazezon tamar on the field and thinking "oh man, this is a vintage, I'll never be able to afford that" because hazezon is not played in vintage and he's not that good either, he'll probably get stomped by some precon commander that costs $2.

If you want to whine about the RL preventing people from getting 50 cent hazezon tamars, go ahead, but that's not the RC's fault. Short of saying "proxies are fully legal in commander, lol eat poop wotc" and probably creating some sort of mtg civil war, there's nothing they can do about it. Do you want them to ban Hazezon Tamar, who is presumably some old fart's favorite commander, just because a bunch of kids who have never even heard of it can't play it?

Now arguably mana crypt does meet both criteria, or at least it's a lot closer, but while $150 is a pretty hefty sum for a single card, it's far less than a mox and it's pennies compared to what a mox would be if it were unbanned. The sort of player who is trying to optimizing their deck in any real sense can probably afford to get one. Also I already mentioned it, so you bringing it up as though I wasn't aware of it is pointless.

Cradle is the only new example you've given that's at least arguably within range of both, though I've made plenty of green decks that didn't want it personally. It was a lot cheaper when the banlist was initially created, and since the PBtE isn't an official criteria anymore, I'd imagine it's hard to justify adding it, though I personally wouldn't shed a tear if it were.

There's nothing about proxies in the official rules and nobody really gives a crap what Sheldon says on twitter about it. The vast majority of players aren't paying attention to the RC unless they ban/unban something. I've never seen anyone get upset about proxies irl, and they day I see someone say "I won't allow proxies because someone on the RC said they don't like them on twitter" I'll eat my time twister.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

I know that we don't get a lot to talk about from the RC outside of ban announcements but I can't help but feel like we are over scrutinizing Sheldon's words here. The fact that something might be an issue is not new and I am sure that the watch list for the RC is probably huge. I can't help but feeling like we might be over diving this discussion on what likely won't have any action and if it does likely won't be anytime soon.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
I know that we don't get a lot to talk about from the RC outside of ban announcements but I can't help but feel like we are over scrutinizing Sheldon's words here. The fact that something might be an issue is not new and I am sure that the watch list for the RC is probably huge. I can't help but feeling like we might be over diving this discussion on what likely won't have any action and if it does likely won't be anytime soon.
That's how i feel every time one of these threads gets started and going.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I'd argue that moxen make 5c decks strictly better than the alternatives by being color restricted which is a really gross side-effect.

Having early access to extra color pips creates a different dynamic as well.

The last thing this format needs is for 5c vintage to be the default mode of gameplay - it's fairly close to that already these days and it's unpleasant :P
Yeah, this is an important point. I don't personally think any single mox ever printed actually rivals Sol Ring or Mana Crypt in the context of this format, but having 5 of them is a big deal. If a 5-color deck were allowed to play 5 Sol Rings, the result would be disgusting.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 2 years ago

I feel like this topic has either run its course or been sufficiently derailed. Your choice. Is there anything more to discuss regarding the article in question?
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
I feel like this topic has either run its course or been sufficiently derailed. Your choice. Is there anything more to discuss regarding the article in question?
I mean, you're the boss here. Nexus is your Turf Club, so to speak. I agree that the article has spun into a topic unto itself, but only you and your fellows can close the matter if you feel it's closed.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Should we page Sheldon or Toby to settle people down? ;)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

cryogen wrote:
2 years ago
Bit of both really. Everyone's had their say for better or worse, the storm in the teacup has subsided, anything further in from here is belaboring the point or off-topic.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

I think everyone's had their say. I started the thread to get a discussion on the topic since Sheldon's opinions carry weight in the format and I think most of it has been covered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”