Fifth and final deck, recommendations!

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

So, I've recently had a couple decks fail to engage me and taken them apart

-Atraxa +1/+1 counters and counter lands --> The dice management was really out of control with this deck. When it had a good game I spent most of the game flipping dice around. Obnoxious time sink.
-Tuvasa voltron - I just think I am done trying to voltron people. I have had maybe 10 different voltron decks and they never stick).
-Scorpion God mana rock tribal (just make big mana and scorpion god stuff) - This was just too damn slow and the mana was really rough trying to consistently use his ability. Overall I think I might just not like rakdos. Coffers was way too hard to use.

I have three long standing decks that I've worked on for years--
-Ephara hatebears
-Gitrog Lands
-Inalla Combo-Control

And a deck I recently built
-Maelstrom Wanderer Landfall

Safe to say I enjoy landdrop ramping but I've used up most of those cards (think I have a few of them laying around but I'm all out of Azusas ;)).

I usually try to keep 5 decks together and my last one is *usually* an enchantment theme of some kind since I like to put my expensive enchantment cards to work - rector, sanctum, etc. But I've been trying to do some new stuff, and I do have a lot of mana rocks floating around (think a spare mana vault, grim monolith, etc.) but no more crypts (so prefer something that doesn't require a crypt:)).

I am also flirting with the idea of a big mana black deck - I have a spare coffers and don't mind doing that. Vilis is something I've considered.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions on a fifth deck - some unique big mana black commander, a cool approach to enchantress. Something I haven't considered.

TL;DR Suggest me a commander that isn't overlapping too much with what I've got :) No voltron, preferably something low on book-keeping that doesn't monopolize game time.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Hanna, Ship's Navigator maybe? My wife runs her as pillowfort, but I'm sure there's other stuff you could do with it.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Daxos the Returned ticks every last one of your boxes. Feel free to hit up my primer if you feel like it. Enjoy your new commander ;)

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Great suggestions guys. I actually was looking at your primer last week thinking it'd be a damned fine use of cards.

Do you find your build supports coffers fairly well?

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Daxos likes his mana gigantic - anything you don't use on spells you can sink into token generation. The power spikes in the deck's development are very closely tied to new big mana generators (mostly lands, plus Bolas Rock) being introduced. Yes, this is a very nice home for Coffers, and you'll often use your unconditional tutors to get the big mana lands online.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

I'll second (or third?) Daxos the Returned. He's great by himself, so you don't need too much to support him besides enchantments.

I've also been trying to play a enchantment or aura centric Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign for ages. I think there is real potential there, but I get headaches every time I try and build it.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I usually try to keep 5 decks together and my last one is *usually* an enchantment theme of some kind since I like to put my expensive enchantment cards to work - rector, sanctum, etc.
Enchantress Man-lands. Not just printed man-lands (e.g. Mishra's Factory) but Zendikons*, Genju*, and other auras that make manlands. Add Magemarks* and you have stealth buff (Animate my genju, who is automatically +x/+x and has Y and Z - because... Magemark!).

I use Hazezon Tamar for my MTGO version of the deck, but in Paper I would probably use Estrid, the masked (availability). Since the concept is quite broad, you can customize to whichever Enchantress General you prefer for ability/color ID.

*examples -
Beastmaster's Magemark, Genju of the Cedars, Vastwood Zendikon
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
But I've been trying to do some new stuff, and I do have a lot of mana rocks floating around (think a spare mana vault, grim monolith, etc.) but no more crypts (so prefer something that doesn't require a crypt:)).
Sydri, Galvanic Genius Vehicles deck. Sure, it's missing red (a large vehicle color in KAL); but it'll be mostly brown anyway, lets you chump block with Mana Rocks, lets you animate vehicles without *needing* to crew them, and has enough artifact recursion to keep it all going.
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I am also flirting with the idea of a big mana black deck - I have a spare coffers and don't mind doing that. Vilis is something I've considered.
Black ping-o'-death. I've enjoyed various iterations of Hecatomb, Blanket of Night, and Death Pits of Rath; and there are a number of generals you could twist to this theme. You'll likely be using Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth anyway, so why not turn all of your swamps into "Tim"s? Geth, Lord of the Vault is a good one, since you can make use of all those resources falling to your pinging swamps and he doesn't need to tap, so you can really use that big mana.
V/R

Treamayne

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”