Where does it end?

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 2 years ago

Recently ran into a very similar issue and have been coming up with ways to figure it out. I use 2 3200 count boxes, there are 8 rows total. A row for each color, artifacts, guild colors, and then non basics/basics. Another old portal box (or that battle box thing that came out in like 1995. I've hung onto it all these years) keeps the 3+ colors in it.

I do have them sorted by type and mana cost, divided with a BCW plastic divider that eventually becomes a piece of artwork. I find it makes it easier to pinpoint things and isn't difficult to keep up with. My cards are mostly kept in inner sleeves with a few more stapley cards that stay in my signature blue dragon shields. Even so, I see myself running out of space in the same colors as you. And I've already trimmed out a lot of super niche and tribal cards(I just don't love tribal) which all go in a 5000 count box with duplicates of cards that I happen to have, maybe some day I will trade or sell them...or want more permanent decks that require them. This box has quite a bit of free space still. The 2 3200 boxes are straight singleton with the exception of a few sol rings and arcane signets. This forces my flux decks to be essentially singleton across the board too, creating diversity in deck building and strength.

Also have 4 Randuin decks that hold onto a lot of enchantments, artifacts, creatures over 5 power and big grixis spells. My permanent decks are Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed blacknuss, Kykar, Wind's Fury Mirrorweave shenanigans, the 4 Randuin shells, and a cEDH Najeela list. Usually there's roughly 4 other decks that would be "flux" decks. The whole Covid time period was one of organization and reorganization...really got to know my collection lol.
Responds well to spells and abilities

WolfWhoWanders

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
@DirkGently

So there's an experience that kinda defines my mentality about stuff in general. When I was a kid, we had this huge room in our house that was wall-to-wall full of books and shelves. It was great! I had access to read nearly anything I wanted anytime. I think the first time I read James Clavell's Shogun I was in fifth grade.

But then we moved, and we had to cull a huge amount of these wonderful books that we just couldn't justify taking to a much smaller house without dedicated space for them. It sucked, but in doing that, I realized there were two types of books; books you wanted to read and books you wanted to keep. Now I personally still have a veritable shelf of awesome books, but most of my reading material is bought secondhand for <99 cents and given away/donated after I finish (unless it's a rare exception and worth keeping). I treat my magic cards the same way; many cards I will never trade or sell, but the vast majority of the cardpool I am happy to own transiently or not at all.

And no, I do not sort at all. I once found my one copy of Grim Monolith sandwiched between about 30 portal plains and the better half of a pauper deck. In some masochistic way, I guess I enjoy the hunt.
I had a similar experience growing up. But I had most of my collection stolen once in like 2006 or something, and now I don't really want to get rid of magic cards. I also like to play most any archetype if I can jank it up. Books are very well trimmed though.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

@WolfWhoWanders: What do you mean by Randuin decks?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
@WolfWhoWanders: What do you mean by Randuin decks?
They're those cool theme decks they built. They're around somewhere in the decklist subforum.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 2 years ago

This is also something I've run into in the past one to years. Similar to Pokken, I've stopped buying cards unless I have a very clear idea of where I want to play them. I've also noticed that there are a lot of niche cards that you would expect would be good in a certain deck type, and yet still don't make the last 100 over alternative options. In particular if it's a mono colored deck this is quite a good test. So I've also been cutting down on those types of niche cards to make room for other cards.
For tribal/flying men type cards, I only buy them when I actually want to build that deck.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

capitacommunist wrote:
2 years ago
niche cards that you would expect would be good in a certain deck type, and yet still don't make the last 100 over alternative options
yup. there are only so many synergy slots in decks nowadays with all the glue required to hold a deck together (ramp removal draw tutors etc etc.). it always surprises me how few cards I actually wind up putting in a deck even when I severely cut corners on adhesive.

WolfWhoWanders

@Dragoon
I made 4 deck shells of 69 cards (for creatures and enchantments) and 79 cards (for artifacts and big spells). There is a pile of about 100+ cards that can be randomly shuffled into the deck for a different experience each game. You could also flip through the piles and customize a deck pretty easily. The decks could be built to be very strong, very janky, battlecruisery or whatever you like. They actually perform pretty well and fit into those boxes that came with the "set bundles" or whatever. They have a name but it escapes me. The commanders are Mayael the Anima for creatures, Tuvasa the Sunlit for enchantments, Daretti, Scrap Savant for artifacts and Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge for big spells

EDIT: I think they are called fat pack boxes?

Dragoon

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
2 years ago
@Dragoon
I made 4 deck shells of 69 cards (for creatures and enchantments) and 79 cards (for artifacts and big spells). There is a pile of about 100+ cards that can be randomly shuffled into the deck for a different experience each game. You could also flip through the piles and customize a deck pretty easily. The decks could be built to be very strong, very janky, battlecruisery or whatever you like. They actually perform pretty well and fit into those boxes that came with the "set bundles" or whatever. They have a name but it escapes me. The commanders are Mayael the Anima for creatures, Tuvasa the Sunlit for enchantments, Daretti, Scrap Savant for artifacts and Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge for big spells

EDIT: I think they are called fat pack boxes?
Gotcha! Where does the Raduin name come from? I call those "Mystery decks". I've built my Ur-Dragon deck this way, since dragons tend to have a wide range of abilities. I have a shell of 75 cards and I include 25 random dragons out of a pile of ~120 cards. I hadn't the chance to play it a ton thanks to COVID but I had fun with it in the few games I manage to play. :grin:

And yes, those were called "Fat Pack" boxes, they renamed it "Bundle" a few years ago. ;)

WolfWhoWanders

@Dragoon

The name Randuin comes from when I played Hearthstone for a brief time before getting back into MTG full on. There was some deck build called Randuin Wrynn which was singleton and rather random in nature. I think I just remembered that for some reason and called the decks the Randuin series. I guess I think it sounds kinda cool too. Love the dragon version idea, I considered making some for tribes because I have a lot of tribal cards that I'll likely never actually put to use. That project seems unlikely at the moment, as I just don't love most tribal things (Dragons and sometimes zombies are excepted). It would stretch land resources and things pretty thin too

darkeshrine

Post by darkeshrine » 2 years ago

I'm in the act of cutting down my collection at the moment. I'm actually surprised how easily I'm cutting cards and putting them in sell/trade/bulk boxes. There's just a whole lot of cards. There are tons of cards that I used to really love playing, or cards that I thought would have been good in certain decks that I've found myself cutting from my collection. There's two big factors that's allowing me to cut cards as easily as I am:

1. Better versions being printed. I remember back when I ran Shatterstorm in every red deck, but now we have Vandalblast. Mostly things like that. Seriously, how many people run Explosive Vegetation with so many other cards that do the exact same thing but sometimes have extra stuff?

2. "But will I ever actually build that commander?" I typically end up asking myself this question regarding popular combo commanders, tribal commanders, and commanders I've already played. Back when I finally got ahold of a copy of Inalla, Archmage Ritualist, it was a kill on sight commander. Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker is an old favorite of mine, but they really haven't printed enough new cards in the past 8 years since I've built it for me to want to rebuild. Tribal is another story, there's just typically too many tribal cards. Merfolk are cool. Merfolk are in White, blue, black, and green, but I really don't want to play Morophon, the Boundless cause I find it a bit boring.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

For me, the size of the collection doesn't really matter unless you are literally running out of space to store it. The cost of buying more organization is minimal in comparison to the cost of your collection. The real question in my mind is just along the lines of:

1) Do you need the money for something else that is more important than this hobby?
2) Are you still having fun with your collection?

If either of those things are no longer true then it may be time to sell. If they aren't then I would say you are fine. If you don't have physical space to store things that would also be a limitation that would lead to some level of selling but given how much you have its hard for me to think you suddenly have too much being stored.

I think I am up to something like 6-7 boxes per color personally with something like two boxes per color for just the rare / mythic / valuable uncommons.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

it actually ends when you die...maybe...
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

pokken

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
it actually ends when you die...maybe...
Then you get to pass it on to your kids with step up in basis so they don't have to pay much in taxes when they sell it :)

* I am not a tax professional (wakka wakka)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
For me, the size of the collection doesn't really matter unless you are literally running out of space to store it.
The issue is mostly that I find the deck making process a bit arduous when digging through many boxes. Especially when most of those cards aren't remotely viable for the deck in question.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

These days I will try hard to build my decks digitally before I start fishing out cards. That always works out better with deck quality than when I pull 200 cards and then hand-construct, although I am really prone to that approach as well.

I have a pretty good digital list of everything I have so I can sift through my collection virtually on Deckbox as well with the spoiler view.

DirkGently

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
That always works out better with deck quality than when I pull 200 cards and then hand-construct
I find that strange. Whenever I make a list digitally (usually because I'm away from my collection), as I pull stuff out I realize that I've missed lots of strong synergies that didn't occur to me. I also find it a lot easier to look at physical cards that digital cards, so I can churn through cards faster than card images on scryfall. My brain just processes them a lot faster in cardboard form for some reason.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dragoon

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
These days I will try hard to build my decks digitally before I start fishing out cards. That always works out better with deck quality than when I pull 200 cards and then hand-construct, although I am really prone to that approach as well.

I have a pretty good digital list of everything I have so I can sift through my collection virtually on Deckbox as well with the spoiler view.
That's more or less how I work as well. I usually start on Scryfall with some specific characteristics/abilities I'm looking for and then I take a look at the EDHrec page to see if I didn't miss anything obvious. I finally put the decklist on Deckbox to see what I'm missing from my collection and start looking to buy/trade those missing cards. When I'm sifting through my collection to get the cards I already own, I might sometimes come across something that slipped my mind during the theorycraft, but it's usually pretty rare and I can always include it in the deck at that point.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
That always works out better with deck quality than when I pull 200 cards and then hand-construct
I find that strange. Whenever I make a list digitally (usually because I'm away from my collection), as I pull stuff out I realize that I've missed lots of strong synergies that didn't occur to me. I also find it a lot easier to look at physical cards that digital cards, so I can churn through cards faster than card images on scryfall. My brain just processes them a lot faster in cardboard form for some reason.
This is where I'm at also. I think it also helps me stay away from the same old staples in every deck. I started proxying stuff a lot more recently because I can't justify the cost of a lot of cards anymore. I found when I go through some of my older decks and update them with proxies they start to feel same-y.

pokken

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Yeah I am not sure why it is. I think it's because I tend to design better decks when I can actively see the curve charts, land count, and what not. Not that I can't do that in paper it's just slower since I have to pile stuff my curve and function at the same time which is kinda annoying.

It might be just that I tend to be leaner which is a good and bad thing - I'm more likely to play weird jank when I'm riffling through cards? dunno.

I just know that the decks I built in paper took longer to tune for the most part.

WolfWhoWanders

I find myself in a similar position to Dirk, I'd rather sift through my cardboard. For whatever reason doing it digitally always seems overwhelming to me when I try it.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
2 years ago
I find myself in a similar position to Dirk, I'd rather sift through my cardboard. For whatever reason doing it digitally always seems overwhelming to me when I try it.
Balls to efficacy, I bought the cardboard for the right to sift through it. Sifting through it is a joy unto itself and imho, part of the fun of collecting anything is the personal gratification of looking at everything you've collected.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 2 years ago

I have around 35000 cards in my collection. I have a wantlist of 10k cards approximately (because I bought nearly nothing since Eldraine, no time to do it). Here is why. As a peasant player, I want to have playsets of 4 cards for each common and uncommon which I could use. For rares and mythics, I just check if it will be used in one of my handful constructed decks (about 2 in Legacy and 2 in modern which I'm still playing with even if they aren't really competitive) or in my EDH decks (built or project). And so, I don't really need more than 1 of identified card.

My way of sorting my collection is the following (using color then alphabetical order) :
By set for commons and uncommons since the first Ravnica Block
2 dedicated boosters box for my rares/mythics
6 dedicated boosters box for commons before the first Ravnica
2 dedicated boosters box for uncommons before the first Ravnica
I have 2 holiday gift box for basic lands (1 being composed of my collection of 1 of each illustration of each basic land, portal, unhinged, full art, etc)
And 1 big binder for trade.

For reprints, usually, i check if I have already 4 or if i need more than I already have. If not, I get them to complete. However, there are execptions like terramophic expanse, sakura tribe elder, qasali pridemage, etc which I need in my 12 built peasant decks.

For the record, the first time i sorted my collection, it wasn't that big and it tooks around 3 days.

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

I'm in the same boat.

I'm in the process of cutting things down significantly. The way I'm doing it is I'm keeping about 162 cards per color, 162 colorless, 162 multicolor and 162 "Things I could play as commander".
I chose 162 because it divides well in my 3x3 card slot binders. Each card only shows up once (So one fetch, one true duel, one shock, etc.)

I'm narrowing my cards with the following criteria:

1) Cards that are a staple in one of my Tri-color decks. (Themes are Artifacts, Enchantments, Lifegain, Aristocrats, Combat, Cycling, Graveyard, Lands, Tokens and Spellslinger)
2) A few cards for archtypes that are easy to implement because I have most of the cards in my collection anyway (Blink, Legendary, Pod, Equipment, Plaenswalkers, Flash.)
3) General staple cards in each color. (Swords to Plowshares, Tithe, Recruiter of the Guard, etc.)
4) A few hate cards in case something fishy happens in my meta or if I join a different meta that is more competitive (Drannith Magistrate, Rest in Peace.)
5 ) A few commandersif I want to play mono brown or 4-5-color.

FYI, I usually aim for 75% in my decks, but like the option to push towards more competitive if needed.

But deciding and narrowing down the collection is very time consuming, especially when you want to keep staples, that are not secretly "traps". Narrowing down my collection is kind of needed for me, otherwise I cannot keep up organizing it and it's taking up way to much room. The size of my collection as it is takes up so much space that it's an actual barrier to want to deckbuild.

DirkGently

Haha, holy cow. 162? I'm definitely not looking to narrow it down even close to that kind of number lol. I'll be lucky to get it down to 600.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Haha, holy cow. 162? I'm definitely not looking to narrow it down even close to that kind of number lol. I'll be lucky to get it down to 600.
Baby steps XD.

But honestly, when I boil it down to pure staples and archetype relevant cards I don't really have a need for much more than that. But I play mainly 10 archetypes and might throw together a deck of whatever I have and a random commander for casual playgroups.

It helps that I quit competitive magic years ago and the only cube I keep intact anymore is my silver border cube.

Good luck though, organizing a collection of 10s of thousands of cards is so damn boring XD.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”