We need to talk about Plargg

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Of all the legends spoiled this season, I think Plargg, Dean of Chaos // Augusta, Dean of Order might be my favorite. He's got an incredible number of directions to go in build-wise, he's got low-cmc, and he's even got a whole second side. But while Augusta is a fine option, I'm mostly focused on the front half since they don't have a TON of overlap.

Another thing I've noticed about plargg, though, is that a lot of people are really skipping over him. He's among the least-built on EDHrec so far, and multiple videos I've seen going over commanders practically skip right over him. Which I kinda get, because there's a lot of commanders to go over, they want to get to the more popular ones, and also most content creators for commander are no more experts in this format than I am an Olympic athlete. But while this is somewhat disheartening, it also means Plargg gets to retain his hipster street cred, and this is, of course, crucial.

Anyway, I swear every time I turn around I see a new way to build this guy. Of course, the main element to most builds is to maintain a low-very low hit rate for his second ability, allowing it to function like a tutor, or tutor-adjacent depending on exact numbers. The lovely thing about his design is that, while this prevents you from running all sorts of "auto-include" garbage format staples, it doesn't force you to have a completely garbage curve - for one thing, plargg himself is an always-available play on 2, but he also allows any number of legendary permanents of cmc 3 or less, including Squee, Goblin Nabob which works beautifully with his rummaging ability. So for many builds, they'll want a decent number of 3-cmc legendaries to establish board presence, as well as strong cards like Mox Amber and equipment like Sword of the Animist and Blackblade Reforged (which works great with the high legend count). Another crucial element for a fair number of decks is the use of Mistveil Plains to recycle cards back into the deck - this can be tutored semi-reliably off fetches (don't forget the mirage ones!).

Ok, so let's get down to some of the builds I've seen or thought up:

-Sunforger + Brass Squire: you can only play instants with cmc = 4, but luckily that's where a lot of the highest-impact stuff is. Running both gives you both sunforger and a way to activate it repeatedly. The strongest combo I've found to win off this setup is Repeated Reverberation into Benevolent Offering on endstep, then untap into Akroma's Will and Tears of Rage, but the deck has also won via straightforward beatdown. It's worth adding that the Augusta side is actually synergistic here once sunforger is online, since she can untap squire for even more shenanigans.

-Legendary Reanimator feat. Loyal Retainers: Plargg's rummage can enable reanimator archetypes, but in particular Loyal Retainers really pushes this over the edge (although without it, you do have the flexibility to ignore Plargg's second ability and play a more "normal" deck). You can pack the deck with Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger...even the ROE titans (Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre) work because, while retainers' ability is timing restricted, it's still instant-speed activation so you can respond to the trigger. The rest of the deck, besides curve-fillers, can include reanimation spells like Breath of Life, False Defeat, Death or Glory, etc. And don't forget Mistveil Plains can allow for repeated use of retainers if Plargg isn't busy fueling the graveyard.

-Combo: There are a few options that fit within Plargg's constraints. Painter's Servant + Grindstone kills one at a time. Last Chance et al + Sundial of the Infinite (using Mistveil Plains to recycle last chance) gives infinite turns. Probably some others I've missed. These don't interest me too much since they're very predictable, but hey, they're there.

-Cast it over and over: There are a few ways to go about this - either literally have only one instant/sorcery hit in the deck, or include some synergy pieces for Plargg like Rings of Brighthearth that can enable repeated castings. There are a ton of options for strong targets - Price of Progress should kill all your opponents in as little time as possible through repeated casting. Orim's Chant can lock one player almost entirely out of the game - with enough mana, Thousand-Year Elixir or similar (plus a way to copy mistveil, or a Reito Lantern) could let you lock out two at once. There are a ton of options here.

-Sunforger-ish: Obviously Plargg lacks the ability to reliably hit anything once you're including multiple hits in the deck, but you can increase control in a few ways. One is by reducing the number of effects, and when they're useful. Having a spell for every different function works great for sunforger, but Plargg is probably better off with broad answers - think Chaos Warp instead of Disenchant. With clever building, this should mean you'll at least usually get a decent response off the top. The second strategy is, once you've gone through all your targets, to use mistveil plains as a way to put whatever you need on the bottom right before activation, thus giving you full control over what you cast.

-Madness/cycling: while RW doesn't have a TON of madness, we also get to benefit off cycling synergies like Spirit Cairn, Surly Badgersaur, Brallin, Skyshark Rider, Glint-Horn Buccaneer, Conspiracy Theorist, etc. We could even go all-in cycling with Fluctuator, Astral Drift, etc. There are only 17 cards we can run that free-cycle off fluctuator, but still.

-Stax: a lot of stax pieces are within Plargg's range, and he can happily start stacking then up for you. Do be a little careful, though, since Sphere of Resistance effects will hit Plargg's ability too. Winter Orb/Static Orb + a way to tap it down is easy-peasy off Plargg, if you want to avoid getting invited back.

-Restore Balance: Mitch is one of the few people with any following on YouTube who gave Plargg the time of day, and Restore Balance was the direction he went with it, so I think it deserves discussion. I'm not so sure it's viable, though. Without destroying lands, I don't think the impact will be high enough to finish the game, and the easiest way to win post-balance is with planeswalkers, which means you really want the board clear too. That means you need a way to get Plargg plus all your lands off the board, and ideally hands emptied too, all without any cheap pieces. There are definitely cards that help you do this, but at a certain point it stops feeling like "omg, Plargg is a one-card-combo!" and starts feeling like a 2-3 card combo plus Plargg that restricts your deck. If the lands problem can be solved without requiring a small number of cards to be drawn naturally, that would help a lot, but I only see 10 lands that tap for mana while being sacrificed. You can maybe kick that to 13 if you're counting Strip Mine, Wasteland, and Ghost Quarter (which you can use to blow up a land that DID tap for mana on the turn you activate Plargg), and some of the lands tap for 2 when sacrificed, but it's still a tall order to generate 5 mana off just 13 lands in the deck in a reliable and timely manner. And you'd need to sacrifice all your other lands before going into your balance turn, plus presumably try to empty your hand and battlefield, so a counterspell would be utterly devastating. So idk, I'll believe it when I see it. The cards Mitch talked about point in some directions, but I'm dubious that the whole thing adds up to a real deck.

That's what I've got so far, but I suspect that Plargg will be a commander I try out multiple times. What other builds have people thought up for our Boros Orc?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

I liked this guy at first....then figured he would be broken sooner than later.

I started thinking of a Zirda companion deck that would include lots of cycling. Then I fell into thinking it would just be better to be an Astral Slide/Drift deck to reuse Recruiter of the Guard/Imperial Recruiter to grab the best ETB creatures (then blink those or maybe Cursed Mirror to copy everyone else's good ETB creatures).

@Cyberium noted Quintorius, Field Historian as a Phoenix tribal general. I think Plargg would fit as well (similar to the comments on Squee).

Other random thoughts:
Shenanigans shenanigans
Rule of Law effects
Experimental Frenzy - Is there something here?
Also wondering if there are overlooked sorceries at 3cmc that would be infinitely better at instant-speed.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
I liked this guy at first....then figured he would be broken sooner than later.
I really hope not :?

I mean the sundial deck is probably pretty obnoxious but as long as it's not popular enough to be a cEDH thing, I'm hoping it won't affect meta reception.
I started thinking of a Zirda companion deck that would include lots of cycling.
Zirda also work with Sunforger builds, I forgot to mention that in the OP. Although I've been kinda underwhelmed by Zirda overall. Paying mana to get a future discount always feels clunky in a format that often demands things now, now now.
Also wondering if there are overlooked sorceries at 3cmc that would be infinitely better at instant-speed.
One thing that came to mind for me is the Threatens of the world. Wham, blocker.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I'm down with literally any excuse to scaretiller

DirkGently

I think the build that most interests me atm is the sunforger-ish build - obviously with the sunforger build, it's pretty easy to cram in all the best targets and call it a day, but with Plargg you're really motivated to think very critically about how many hits you want, and when you'll want to cast them. Once you're in full sunforger mode, i.e. all your targets are in the bin and tucking lets you pick the best possible target, then it's np, but before then I think you'd really want to minimize your hits to ensure you get something useful for every situation.

Removal-wise, I think Generous Gift is probably the most versatile white removal spell at cmc < 4. I think Dawn Charm is also probably up there in versatility. Teferi's Protection would be a shoe-in except that it self-exiles which makes it hard to use effectively - you might easily cast it early when you want removal, and then you can never use it again (unless you want to pull some real shenanigans with Pull from Eternity or something). Orim's Chant is also really strong, though, I could see an argument for that over dawn charm, or maybe both - although orim's has the major downside of needing to be cast precombat, and requiring an extra mana to use. Boros Charm probably merits a mention, though I'm not convinced the flexibility is actually high enough to justify since only 1 mode is usually good.

On the offensive side, Jeska's Will has proven to be a powerful card in the format, and could have some utility. Could also go with a token production route, or dump powerful creatures into play. There's obviously a lot of directions to go here.

I also just really like cards like Illusionist's Bracers since they not only allow for double-tutoring, but they also make his rummaging card-positive, which kinda rules.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

It reminds me a little of Jalira, Master Polymorphist (who was also not widely built). I played a bunch of legendary low end stuff (like Rayne, Academy Chancellor, Ertai, Wizard Adept, etc.) and then polymorphed into spooky nonlegendary stuff (like Tidespout Tyrant!).

I think it might be hard to run conditional stuff in this deck; Deflecting Swat, Underworld Breach are typically misses. You'll be much better off focusing on modal spells, especially ones like Charming Prince, or cards that are agnostic about their immediate target like Aura of Silence.

I think I would just try to use Plargg as a value engine. So, mostly mana rocks, tutors (Stoneforge Mystic, Steelshaper's Gift, Open the Armory), Swords of Protection and Value, etc. I would also want to build a little around Augusta, and might try a couple of inspire or exert cards, but especially cards like Goblin Welder or Goblin Engineer who also do well with Plargg.

So, probably an artifact focused deck, maybe even to the point of playing Mycosynth Wellspring et al.

DirkGently

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
I would also want to build a little around Augusta
The difficulty I see there is how to switch between the two. It's not exactly trivial to flip them. I can see some nice incidental synergies - in my sunforger list I'll replay as Augusta sometimes to untap Brass Squire and also to count as a white permanent for mistveil plains, but I didn't include those because of Augusta - it's just a nice coincidence that they play nicely together. The only way I can get augusta is if someone kills Plargg AND I have nothing better to do with 5 mana (which I usually do tbh).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

There're quite a few sick tap effects in red/white, like Goblin Welder, but I can't think of that many things that benefit from both the tap and the untap (other than Scaretiller mmmmmhmm).

But I do really like that tap/untap ability. You could play mana myrs and Aggravated Assault like an animal :P Build your own trash najeela.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

The difficulty I see there is how to switch between the two. It's not exactly trivial to flip them. I can see some nice incidental synergies - in my sunforger list I'll replay as Augusta sometimes to untap Brass Squire and also to count as a white permanent for mistveil plains, but I didn't include those because of Augusta - it's just a nice coincidence that they play nicely together. The only way I can get augusta is if someone kills Plargg AND I have nothing better to do with 5 mana (which I usually do tbh).
You're not wrong. I think it's pretty much Sanctum of Eternity (and you can roll into Expedition Map for that). Maybe Whitemane Lion, Stonecloaker/Jeskai Barricade, but I'm not sure I'd want to roll into one of those with Plargg.

I think I would probably build it in a modal way where if you drew Augusta cards, you play Augusta, but if you don't, you play Plargg. There'd probably only be a handful of Augusta cards anyway (I think you play Samut, Voice of Dissent for that kind of deck anyway).

pokken

You'd really need to go hard on Scuttlemutt and various tapping artifacts I think to be doing much with the augusta half I think, but I think that's another deck entirely. :P

Stuff like Steel Overseer and what not.
etc :P

Might be a deck there, I dunno.

DirkGently

Ok, so I went through all my applicable cards and have a pretty solid list of possible builds.

Turbofog, using any number of powerful cmc < 3 fog effects. Could integrate with a planeswalker build. Peacekeeper works as a perma-fog
Asymmtric wipes, using Boros charm or other indestructible granting spells or equipment. Could go MLD too. Or hit Puppet's Verdict.
Chance for Glory, preventing death via Angel's Grace or similar to get a semi-elspeth effect plus extra turns.
Searing Meditation lifegain, also Resplendent Angel etc.
Sensei's Divining Top + Helm of Awakening (or others) combo
Any number of Zirda, the Dawnwaker/Rings of Brighthearth + Basalt Monolith/Grim Monolith combos
Cycling deck with Astral Drift + Fluctuator or other synergy pieces
Repeatable semi-wipes like Slaughter the Strong or Retribution of the Meek.
Repeating Orim's Chant for lockout.
Restore Balance / Magus of the Balance.
Equipment featuring swords of X and Y
Chain tutoring using Stoneforge Mystic, Gamble, Enlightened Tutor. Weathered Wayfarer etc. to enable lots of shenanigans.
Instant-speed Council's Judgment.
Rummaging into a big Planar Birth.
Solitary Confinement.
Forced single-spell via Archon of Emeria and others, and exploiting Plargg to cast on enemy turns.
Theft featuring Debt of Loyalty.
Soft lock with Lapse of Certainty.
Blink featuring Ghostway.
Mangara of Corondor + lots of untaps, bounce, sac outlets etc.
Eggs featuring Second Sunrise.
Chain Teferi's Protection with Pull from Eternity (requires double activation and double tuck per turn - could be set up with Illusionist's Bracers + Reito Lantern, or a copy of Mistveil Plains)
Vehicle tribal featuring board wipes and Peacewalker Colossus.
Mark of Asylum + red damage-based wipes.
Promise of Tomorrow sac chaining, plus enchantment recursion etbs etc to trigger every turn.
Terra Eternal + manlands or something?
Stax with Stony Silence, Rest in Peace, even Static Orb etc. Could include artifact tap outs too.
Reanimator with Pulsemage Advocate.
Plargg synergies like Thousand-Year Elixir, Illusionist's Bracers etc to churn out a bunch of stuff at once
Reanimator with Scarecrone.
Scrap Trawler can probably win somehow, might be hard without cheap artifacts, but if you just have a few you could make them hittable.
Tel-Jilad Stylus to repeatedly cast the same permanent spell.
Myr Welder + a bunch of insane artifact activated abilities.
Forcefield/Sunstone/Glacial Crevasses/Ghostly Prison/Crawlspace pillowfort.
Mimic Vat could probably do some stuff.
Druidic Satchel with a deck full of mostly land, lol. Probably also want some sort of way to exploit it that also gets hit - Devastating Dreams, perhaps?
Avarice Totem + tons of ramp, including treasures.
Turns combo with Sundial of the Infinite + Last Chance or whatever.
Desecrated Tomb gives some great value with Squee, Goblin Nabob.
Twinning Staff + Reiterate and company
Ashnod's Altar is a fair card.
repeated Burnished Hart would be fun. Maybe as part of the Scarecrone plan?
Magistrate's Scepter proliferate
Doubling Cube really lets us go off with ramp
Nim Deathmantle also goes well into a blinky-sacking strategy, as does Blade of Selves.
Skullclamp plays nicely into lots of things too, for example a planeswalker superfriends strategy.
Cloudstone Curio is stupid.
Staff of Domination + Metalworker combo
Scroll of Fate + terrible ETBs, so we can play Sky Swallower.
Distorting Lens + miserable color hate that probably exists?
Gate to the Afterlife reanimator
Inspiring Statuary + a bunch of treasure-making stuff like Dockside Extortionist, for a janky boros Galazeth Prismari. ooh, and throw in Ghirapur Aether Grid!
Chaos Wand is just a card I like.
Crucible of Worlds could have a use, though merely recurring fetches or strip mine isn't really exciting enough.
Repeatable Oblivion Stone.
Elixir of Immortality or Reito Lantern could also be used in addition to Mistveil Plains.
Phyrexian Dreadnought + Electropotence is hilarious.
Spellbinder could do some silly things.
Five-Alarm Fire in a token deck.
flash Mana Flare can probably do some nasty stuff.
Destructive Urge probably isn't good but it is hilarious.
Repeatable Price of Progress to kill everyone who spent more than $8 on their deck. Or Acidic Soil for people who didn't.
Sliver Tribal
Goblin Tribal
Glint-Horn Buccaneer and other discard synergy - might fit into the cycling version
Seismic Assault can do some shenanigans, especially into the aforementioned Planar Birth.
...possibly using Wheel of Fortune to reload on shocks repeatedly
Jeska's Will definitely gets a lot of value, though idk if we can really exploit it per se
Izzet Chemister spell reanimator.
Repercussion + damage wipes.
Imminent Doom would be possible to get quite high reliably, though it's still probably crap.
Irencrag Pyromancer gets free triggers off our commander, and also fits nicely into that cycling deck...
Impending Disaster if you want to lose 100% of your friends.
Widespread Panic + forced shuffle like Soldier of Fortune.
Satyr Firedancer Burn - anything that hits all enemies is pretty great, like...
Dragon's Approach.
Shared Animosity in tribal or tokens, or repeated Mercadia's Downfall.
Planebound Accomplice with a bunch of wheels and whatnot to activate a ton of planeswalker abilities.
If you Fiery Gambit enough times, you'll eventually pull it off...
Instant-speed-ified theft like Hijack works great.
Burning Vengeance flashback.
Repeated Molten Psyche is pretty rad.
Shifting Shadow can probably do something, especially with Darksteel Plate or similar.
Eldrazi Displacer definitely goes into a blinky deck.

Ok, that's my list so far. That took...a while.

The ones that stand out to me are the cycling build, the treasure build, the reanimator builds, the land-reanimator, and the sacky-blinky deck. There are definitely some strong combos, which worries me a little bit for plargg's long-term reputation.
Last edited by DirkGently 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Calcifer

Post by Calcifer » 2 years ago

This is very comprehensive, well done!

Am I off base in thinking that the amount of hoops you have to jump through to get a two card combo to be the only viable targets off of Plargg justifies the reliability of finding that combo? Like, if my curve 1-3 consists solely of legendary permanents at the cost of excluding most of the efficient rocks and card draw, but the pay off is Chance for Glory and Sundial of the Infinite to close the game, would that irk a lot of people?

It's likely I'm out of touch, having not played at all during the pandemic, but I think it makes for both a costly set of restrictions and a unique deckbuilding challenge since you forsake a lot of the usual set up turn items. Having to navigate that seems interesting, but maybe that's only true in theory and not in practice?

DirkGently

Of course it's a meta call, but I think outside of a pretty high-powered meta, a commander that guaranteed wins on turn 5 or so when not interacted with is probably not going to be welcome. For me personally, I think it just sounds pretty boring. I'd maybe pull it off once, and then idk why I'd want to play it again. Especially since everyone else would know exactly what it does. And then it'd also make it harder to play different, more interesting plargg decks in the future.

As a deckbuilding exercise I think it's ok, but if you're going for something really linear like extra turns sundial or metalworker staff the rest of the deck becomes kinda irrelevant. I think it's a lot more interesting to build something like the cycling deck, where the contents of your deck actually matters besides just the combo pieces.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Calcifer

Yeah, you have me convinced. All of that is true and a canned infinite turn loop wouldn't hold up long term for a lot of people.

Aria of Flame could be a more proactive build around (an alternative to Imminent Doom), though it points more toward cheap spells, it would need some work to figure out.

Oketra's Last Mercy came to mind as well, though I'm much more stumped as to how to leverage this effect without succumbing to it's drawback.

DirkGently

Calcifer wrote:
2 years ago
Yeah, you have me convinced. All of that is true and a canned infinite turn loop wouldn't hold up long term for a lot of people.

Aria of Flame could be a more proactive build around (an alternative to Imminent Doom), though it points more toward cheap spells, it would need some work to figure out.

Oketra's Last Mercy came to mind as well, though I'm much more stumped as to how to leverage this effect without succumbing to it's drawback.
lol, why on earth would Oketra's Last Mercy ever come to anyone's mind? :grin: I guess you could play every Earthquake under the sun, then have a haste enabler and use Plargg to reset your life total before burning everyone out. Janky, obviously, but pretty funny.

Aria of Flame I do think sounds too hard to pull off when everything is expensive, though it's a reasonable idea. The fact that it can't hit creatures makes it pretty restrictive, though.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Calcifer

Lol I wish I could tell you why I thought of that, maybe I'm incapable of finding a middle ground between infinite turns and a complete gimmick.

Speaking of gimmicks, Storm Herald has fewer juicy targets than I hoped but does synergize with Plargg's discard similarly to the Loyal Retainers plan, plus Replenish, etc give you some options for an aura build!

DirkGently

I almost forgot about him! Although I have to say, the exile-no-matter-what clause really makes it hard to pull him off.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

I really think Plargg, Dean of Chaos // Augusta, Dean of Order gets overlooked. I've considered him in a Samut, Voice of Dissent deck, since it's a free rummage that can have haste and can be untapped, along with a 5 mana "cascade" and the other side can be useful too as it untaps all my T: creatures, such as mana dorks and Intrepid Hero for free and gives combat guys vigilance.

I think it obviously better when you care about both sides, but yeah this guys is getting slept on imo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”