Do you ever use green signets?

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Looking at my (or my wife's) current green decks:

The Gitrog Monster: No. The deck is only two-colored, non-creature, non-land space is at a premium, and a landfall theme heavily incentivizes traditional ramp.

Gahiji, Honored One: No. While this deck likes ramp, it also maindecks Bane of Progress and Austere Command among other effects (and Vandalblast and Austere Command are extremely common in my meta). Traditional ramp serves better.

Doran, the Siege Tower: YES. This deck has many greedy mana costs and really wants to slam Doran turn 3, so running signets to help make it happen is crucial.

Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist: No. A low-to-the-ground curve incentivizes less ramp and a focus on more traditional ramp for the few slots available.

Jenara, Asura of War: No. The deck does not have space and casting Jenara on-curve is non-essential.

Nath of the Gilt Leaf: No. This deck runs every mana dork known to man or God, and a signet would be overkill.

So mostly I'd run it only in 3-color decks with greedily costed commanders who are essential to cast on-curve; such Commanders are far and few between.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

So, I have 6/17 decks that play green....
Only one is 2-colour, and I play Gruul Signet because the deck is focused on activating Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx several times per turn and going off... so being able to draw into signet and use it to filter green into red is decent. It is one of the worst ramp cards in the deck but it helps me cast my Mina and Denn, Wildborn early.

Arguably, it could be replaced by Nature's Lore. Probably worth looking into because I am sure my deck would like a Bane of Progress.

I have three 3-colour decks, and play signets in one of them - Maelstrom Wanderer. I have all the fast mana and turn 1 mana rock into signet is a great way for me to cast MW before turn 5. Really, no question to have them in this deck. Also, they interact well with Mana Reflection.

I have a 4 and a 5 colour deck that run no signets.

I think I would conclude that unless you have a lot of turn 1 mana rocks or a lot of artifact synergies, I would never play them in 3+ colours, and that I would play them in most 2-colour decks because turn 2 ramp is pretty strong.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Of my four green decks, none of them are currently running any signets.

Tasigur - running zero artifacts total, and a lot of mass artifact hate cards (Bane of Progress, Pernicious Deed, Wave of Vitriol, etc). Generally strongly prefers land-based ramp.

Animar - strongly prefers creatures due to synergy with the general (and Soul of the Harvest effects). I could see a world where I cared enough about the filtering to run signets, but I think that mana dorks are going to be superior the vast majority of the time.

Samut - was briefly running signets when I had a much higher basic count and needed the fixing, but I've shifted into land-based ramp over time. The signets were consistently worse than Kodama's Reach and other land-based ramp.

Tatyova - running primarily land-based ramp, for synergy with the general.

....in general, Green has a lot of cards that specifically care about playing lands and/or creatures, while few such cards exist for artifacts (Glissa the Traitor is pretty much the only one I can think of). When combined with the presence of powerful artifact-hate cards like Bane of Progress, this means that fewer Green decks want to run artifact-based ramp.

Possible reasons I can think of to run signets:
-Artifact synergies (ex: Glissa the Traitor)
-You really need the filtering (ex: a 5c Progenitus deck)
-Commitment to a theme (ex: Ravnica block constructed)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
I do, but that's because I choose cycle completion over function and it bothers be if I don't run all the signets I can.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Especially for land cylces. I absolutely hate playing a partial cycle of duals. Please Wizards, finish of the cycle-dual and tango lands.

While I am currently not running any green signets. My 3 color decks only ever used the on-color fetch lands, never a fetch land that searched for a land outside the color identity. Only exception to this is Titania, Protector of Argoth, where I play every fetch ability I can.

I am "this close" to putting the 3 relevant signets in my Karador list to help speed up the deck, but the creature ramp is so much more relevant for Karador's ability.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

I’d consider in dual-colored decks: You don’t lose so hard to Geddon but risk more against C.Rift.

Tri-color? Probably just in Shattergang Brothers since they can be fodder later.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

I completely ignore them. I don't run a single one.
When you have the likes of Nature's Lore there's little point in my opinion. Lands are generally safer and by recurring the spell you get more value.
If you recur a signet you just end up down 2 mana to be back where you were.

There are obviously corner cases like Muldrotha, the gravetide but even then, you're better off with a sakura-tribe elder

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

I've ended up cutting signets from most of my green decks, I tend to play fairly heavy ramp packages,
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
There are obviously corner cases like Muldrotha, the gravetide but even then, you're better off with a sakura-tribe elder
Muldrotha was one of the decks I thought it would be best in. Since you can recur one card of each type per turn, it makes some amount of sense to have artifacts (so you can free up your creature-from-graveyard for something better).

Of course, I'm sure there are better artifacts to recur, also.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Yeah, you'd probably start with the stereotypical sac-to-draw rocks there.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

It's additional speed, and I tend to see them as a "translator" in case I need mana of certain color. Sometimes I run enough artifact mana and/or utility lands that I have too much colorless and not enough colors, or I have too many elves providing green but I need something else, etc. It's also useful if my opponent likes to play prison with Winter Orb or what not.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

They have other benefits, e.g. Mana Reflection. Plus, if your playgroup doesn't just ban MLD, and players actually know how to play it, having mana rocks available is always nice. Confession: I put Darksteel Ingot in all my decks.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

MRHblue

Post by MRHblue » 4 years ago

Yes, mostly in a few decks that only splash green. If green is a major part, and you are not doing artifact shenanigans, then ramp is better.

Syb
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Syb » 4 years ago

I prefer to in a couple of my green decks- namely, Glissa and Ruric Thar.
Glissa, the Traitor plays nice with artifacts and her colored mana requirement means I'm more than happy to filter out some of my mana.
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed just like to land on the table by turn 3, so anything that'll accelerate me there is worth running. I don't expect too many uses out of the signet, but by the time it'd be better to have a land, I've probably already played a Wildfire effect.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”