Most time consuming spells to resolve in the format?

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Dragonstorm be like "Dragons are rebels now. Storm" and you're still casting it, so storm still triggers.

Any sort of self-copying tutor works this way. But Mind's Desire will tutor up a combo and end the game too quickly. I imagine you want this game to last forever.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Surprised no one has mentioned Living Death/Living End. Assuming 4 players in the game and reasonable amounts of bodies in 'yards, and also given how value ridden creatures are these days (read: ETB's) it can take a hot minute to get clarity on the board state upon resolution.
If I'm playing Living Death, I will assuredly get the most value. Though if drawn late game it can still cause quite a long turn. Even dredging myself into a stocked graveyard with opponent's mostly empty still can cause a load of triggers to stack. The times I have cast it we can get things resolved in a couple minutes. I probably don't play enough GY hate in that deck, but mostly having a GY 2-3 times the size of my opponents makes it a moot point.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Surprised no one has mentioned Living Death/Living End. Assuming 4 players in the game and reasonable amounts of bodies in 'yards, and also given how value ridden creatures are these days (read: ETB's) it can take a hot minute to get clarity on the board state upon resolution.
If I'm playing Living Death, I will assuredly get the most value. Though if drawn late game it can still cause quite a long turn. Even dredging myself into a stocked graveyard with opponent's mostly empty still can cause a load of triggers to stack. The times I have cast it we can get things resolved in a couple minutes. I probably don't play enough GY hate in that deck, but mostly having a GY 2-3 times the size of my opponents makes it a moot point.
Oh likewise for sure. But it does also make for a nice way to just sow chaos if you need to disrupt a board state or have indestructibles to manage. So there's times I've used it just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

Even if I know I've got a winning yard (say, Gray Merchant of Asphodel and enough pips to bleed everyone out), just working through the stack and all the ETBs, whose resolve first and all of that stuff can take a little while if your meta isn't used to that much stuff on the stack all at once.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I understand the question here and while its a cheeky not quite what they asked for my answer is "T1: Sensei's Divining Top".

Watching your opponent promise to play with themselves at all time through the course of the entire game is very time consuming :p
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

On the subject of living death, Open the Vaults with Opalescence involved can be a nightmare. You don't necessarily realize how many staple enchantments trigger on creature etbs until they all have to do them all at once.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I understand the question here and while its a cheeky not quite what they asked for my answer is "T1: Sensei's Divining Top".

Watching your opponent promise to play with themselves at all time through the course of the entire game is very time consuming :p
I hate top so much. I do fondly remember a game where a player was taking forever to resolve top triggers every turn, so I Phyrexian Metamorphed it and then every time he topped, I'd top in response. Take a deliberately long amount of time. Let his resolve and then top again taking a deliberately long time again. They got the hint and sped things up. xD

pokken

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Zerro wrote:
3 years ago
I used to run The Great Aurora where ever I could though it got to the point to where i was tired of resolving the spell and so i ended up taking it out of most of my decks. Token decks with this typically take the most time followed by "What do i put into play again?"
Yeah I used to love the great aurora :P But when people would fail to scoop to a 40-15-15-10 aurora time and time again I realized it just wasn't an effective win condition because of how tedious it was.

I would scoop to that. But some people are made of sterner stuff :P

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah I used to love the great aurora :P But when people would fail to scoop to a 40-15-15-10 aurora time and time again I realized it just wasn't an effective win condition because of how tedious it was.

I mean, if I see someone across the table playing a big Aurora, I generally assume they want to resolve it and let them have their fun. I may have conceded the game in my mind, but I'd still watch the show.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

pokken

tstorm823 wrote:
3 years ago
I mean, if I see someone across the table playing a big Aurora, I generally assume they want to resolve it and let them have their fun. I may have conceded the game in my mind, but I'd still watch the show.
It's fun the first few times but after a while you're just like, ugh, do you want me to draw my deck and torment for 30 over 10 steps or do you want to just go to the next game?:P

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Zerro wrote:
3 years ago
I used to run The Great Aurora where ever I could though it got to the point to where i was tired of resolving the spell and so i ended up taking it out of most of my decks. Token decks with this typically take the most time followed by "What do i put into play again?"

I personally do not like it when people will play these huge disruptive spells (or even MLD) without having a way to end the game.
So if your TGA causes huge resource imbalances but your win condition is attacking with 12 power against 3 opponents then I am going to stick around and hope to wrath you.

That's my issue with TGA - is is powerful, takes a while, and doesn't actually end the game at all.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
That's my issue with TGA - is is powerful, takes a while, and doesn't actually end the game at all.
You can basically lump any 'probabilistic multi-step win-condition' approaches together here. Storm, artifact storm, glimpse of nature, brostorm, great aurora/thieves auction/etc. type crap.

When I played it I would definitely win if it resolved, but it was going to take another 10 or 15 spells when I drop 25 untapped lands and genesis wave for 20 and then cast more spells with those lands, etc. It's just a tedious thing to do.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
You can basically lump any 'probabilistic multi-step win-condition' approaches together here. Storm, artifact storm, glimpse of nature, brostorm, great aurora/thieves auction/etc. type crap.

When I played it I would definitely win if it resolved, but it was going to take another 10 or 15 spells when I drop 25 untapped lands and genesis wave for 20 and then cast more spells with those lands, etc. It's just a tedious thing to do.
The thing is that if you can't show it is a deterministic win, then it just takes forever. My Kefnet the Mindful High Tide deck sometimes will have a 10 minute turn but never get infinite mana and won't win. It is a problem.
Even if you say you will have a deterministic win 9/10 times with TGA the fact is that there is a reasonable chance that you fizzle and lose.
I don't think these are specifically problems in Commander but if it happens too often then the deck really should not be played except occasionally.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Activating Golos's ability with Nyxbloom Ancient in play and a non-infinite amount of mana lol. Me and the table I was playing with agreed that I won when I tapped all my permanents for mana and generated 89 mana and I had an active Golos in play...

Probably doesn't help the case of Golos being a problem Commander LOL.

abel88

Post by abel88 » 3 years ago

i had a jhoira deck for a short while. paradoxical outcome can make for a super long turn if you dont draw a win con plus all of the sequencing after you resolve it

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

abel88 wrote:
3 years ago
i had a jhoira deck for a short while. paradoxical outcome can make for a super long turn if you dont draw a win con plus all of the sequencing after you resolve it
Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain was possibly the saddest thing to ever happen for me personally in commander. "Yes! Finally a truly great izzet artifact commander!" I sleeved up all my cheerios, Herald of Kozilek effects, Hurkyl's Recall doohickies, and Aetherflux Reservoir/Reckless Fireweaver to finish it off.

It was fun to goldfish, and "fun" to play for exactly 85% of a single game of Commander. After that I knew I would never be subjecting myself or anyone else to that again.

Storm is fine IMO if it's contained in a smallish, easily defined loop of spells (ex: some big mana + buyback silliness) since you demonstrate the loop and the game is over. None of this "We'll see if I win in about ten minutes from now" business.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”